PDA

View Full Version : How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

garomly
March 8th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! After 3 weeks, 4 distros and countless reinstallations, my wireless is finally working, just as i was about to give up on entering the Linux world.

Jamina1
March 9th, 2007, 02:57 AM
This worked great on my Dell Inspiron 9100

UNFORTUNATELY, every time I restart, I have to reinitialize the card with

sudo modprobe bcm43xx

Did I forget a step?

marlobello
March 9th, 2007, 06:49 AM
It worked on my BCM4318 with FF Herd 5, but I had no luck with 6.06! Granted my landlords network is wide open so I can't vouch for any encryption methods.

Thank you for this post. I have been through 5 distros (if you count different releases of openSuSE and Ubuntu) and 2 network cards but finally I have network on my desktop.

Pazuzu
March 9th, 2007, 04:23 PM
In a compleatly plutonic way of course. Thank you very much, your guide was extreamly helpful. In fact i dont think there is anyway it could be anymore helpful considring that it fixed my problem. Thanks again.:KS :KS :KS :KS :KS

PS: I am using a Linksys WPC54GS card, even though ubuntu reconized the card immediatly, this was all i needed.

venom9122
March 10th, 2007, 01:16 AM
This worked like a charm, except the connection is REALLY REALLY SLOW! I'm limited to about 10-20 kb/sec, on my windows partition i get 150-200, am i just gonna have to deal with it, or what?

siciliancasanova
March 10th, 2007, 02:35 AM
sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
Cannot open input file /home/anthony/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

I am getting this for the response when I get to this point. My machine said it already had fwcutter on it, so I ran that line. Didn't work, uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I'm completely new to ubuntu so I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at or where the problem lies.

I do have a broadcom (linksyswmp54gs) and the system is detecting it, just need to get the firmware installed on it.

visualnoise
March 11th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I have one of those tricky BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g cards, but this worked perfectly for me. The only extra step I took was to add an entry for eth1 in /etc/network/interfaces. I'm no guru, so I don't know where/how I could have configured the wlan0 interface properly, but w/e. I'm using it now to post this message! Thanks very much.

(I'm using Edgy i386 6.10 on an HP L2000 laptop, fyi.)

bcorcoran
March 12th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Followed to step 4, and it just started working.. (connected to a wireless router w/ radio off and 128bit hex wep ... so if something wasn't working I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten this far :)

I am on a Acer Ferrari 4006WLMi, with the BCM4318 Airforce card. I used the synaptics package manager method, and it asked to fetch the firmware, so I did, and it just started working. I didn't even have to do ifconfig or anything... SSID's started to show up under the network icon in the top right, and I added my network (radio off SSID like I said above).

One thing that might be of note: I am using Feisty Fawn Herd 5, so maybe something has changed... but I didn't have any problems whatsoever.

Good luck to those with the BCM4318, and thanks for the how-to!

GS2
March 14th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Worked a treat with a WL12-PCI-G54 Buffalo card on Feisty - used the firmware etc from this link:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/network/R81433.EXE
(thanks to the sourceforge ndiswrapper list for that)

A great how-to thank you :)

indica
March 15th, 2007, 07:35 AM
ok seriously, i can't get my wifi to work
i'm running an ibook g4 800 12" airport extreme and edgy. i've tried this, and several other random howtos and people's suggestions and i can't get this to work. i don't have osx so i can't get the driver there and i don't want to have to buy it and reinstall it when i don't want to use it anyway. i've tried both network manager and wifi-radar. i could see my network, and another in my building with wifi radar where networkmanager wouldn't even give me the option to connect to wifi. i've followed this howto step by step, several times, on dapper and edgy. i've tried it with clean installs several times
i can't figure it out, i'm not getting any errors. it simply doesn't connect, and if i have to reinstall many more times i'm going to just give up and give osx a try :( :mad:
does anyone have any suggestions? please?

trubblemaker
March 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM
remove wifi radara and then try these steps, it's a great program but I seem to recall it doesn't play nice with ndiswrapper

indica
March 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM
i've already tried it without wifi-radar. networkmanager doesn't even give me the option to connect to a wireless network. wifi radar sees it but doesn't connect or get an ip. i'm not using ndiswrapper. i can ping my connection, it responds. i just can't figure it out

indica
March 15th, 2007, 06:39 PM
ok so under iwconfig i'm getting access point invalid

any guesses?

deeemster
March 16th, 2007, 02:36 AM
A huge thanks for putting the HowTo together. This one worked perfectly first try. Also I am currently using Feisty. Not sure if anybody had posted about that yet (74 pages of posts). Does anybody now if there is a way to get 54Mb speeds instead of just 11? I'll due some further searching, but am reluctant to "mess" around because I don't want to lose my connection. :)

fusionisthefuture
March 16th, 2007, 03:32 PM
This worked like a charm, except the connection is REALLY REALLY SLOW! I'm limited to about 10-20 kb/sec, on my windows partition i get 150-200, am i just gonna have to deal with it, or what?

i have this same problem, of course i dont get rates like that to start with, but its gone from like 60 kB/s to 20ish. its quite annoying, especially cuz this is an a/g/b capable card, (4310) and for some reason i also cant connect to the unsecured network at my school either. i cant even see it if i do iwlist eth0 scan, but i can on my windows partition.
thanks
-arne

trubblemaker
March 16th, 2007, 05:09 PM
ok so under iwconfig i'm getting access point invalid

any guesses?

yeah why don't you try,
(assuming that your wireless interface is eth1)

sudo iwconfig eth1 ap any

check that it's no longer got invalid.....

iwconfig

if this doesn't fix it. try unloading the module and reloading, rebooting, dual booting into windows, user wireless then come back.
(Your driver is in an invlaid state. and we need to "reset" it.)
then try a manual connect to the ap

iwlist scan # gets list of essid's
sudo iwconfig eth1 essid <fav-essid>
sudo dhclient eth1

at this point please don't use "ifup". it reads from the /etc/network/interfaces file and will ignore the essid that you use just set above. (plus if interfaces file isn't set up correctly it will cause some errors.)

hope this helps, please post output back if this doesn't fix it.

indica
March 17th, 2007, 01:22 AM
i wasn't running a dual boot, but i'm reinstalling mac os now so i can dual boot. it didn't look like it worked before i screwed with my ethernet and lost my whole network for a few hours. i'll let you know what the output is once i get edgy reinstalled

indica
March 17th, 2007, 05:24 AM
ok, i got it to work, YAY!:KS fresh install of edgy, driver from macos partition, ran the whole nickm howto, installed networkmanager, followed your instructions above (didn't work) but while i was screwing around before i could get around to copying the output i came across this
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=341357
which worked, go figure

ikehack
March 18th, 2007, 04:50 AM
I had the AirForce 54g, and surprisingly it worked :)

peterhs
March 18th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hey, I am having problems too. I have a bcm4311 card

I have tried everything, and the problem seems to be locked up in my pci bridge. After I install the system, LinuxMint 2.2, the card is seen, after I boot up the second time, the card disappears, I have reinstalled the system 4x now, it is frustrating.

after install and first attempt with https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Broadcom_BCM4311_rev_01_(ndiswrapper)#head-1b040ccda848cfa35bf7a805c8b817d00f7df33a

iwconfig :
l0 no wireless extensions

eth0 no wireless extensions

wlan0
IEEE 802.11b ESSID: off/any
Mode:Managed Frequency: 2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
RTS thr:2432 B Fragment thr: 2432 B
Power Management: off
Link Quality:95/100 Signal level:-35 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

after rebooting the system

iwconfig :
l0 no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions

(anytime)
after typing lspci :
05:00.0 Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown Device 4311 (rev 01)
00:05.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 5a37

I also do not get any sound, if that helps any.

When i type ndiswrapper -l
bcmwl5 : driver installed
device (14E4:4311) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks ahead of time.

HunkieChan
March 19th, 2007, 01:08 AM
01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 01)

^ i have this modem, and i followed the instruction and it worked for me thanks alot

dan13l
March 19th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I've got a BT Voyager 1065 PCMCIA card, and the guide worked brilliantly.

Interestingly, I was able to skip several steps:

Step two wasn't required, as running "sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter" offered to download the driver for me.

Subsequent steps could also be skipped - fwcutter seemed to install all the drivers in the right place for me anyway.

With that done, I ran "sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome" and the card's lights came on!

The last step was to select which network to join using the icon at the top right, and all was good.

I'm running FF Herd 5 - the official release wouldn't even boot on my laptop.

Awesome guide, and thanks to you I'm now reading to have a play with Ubuntu.

Feenix3k
March 20th, 2007, 07:02 AM
I got as far as step 5 and locked up the computer. Im a newbe, so I must have hit something wrong. But it was doing good till then. Will try it again

Cesium
March 20th, 2007, 04:41 PM
sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter

When I try this step I get the error "Couldn't find package bcm43xx-fwcutter"

Any thoughts? I'm trying to do this on Edgy. Thanks!

damu
March 22nd, 2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks for this how to. I thought it was not working as I could see some wireless network once and then nothing. I did again some of the steps of the how to , mainly copying the driver files in the upgraded kernel folder.

Now, I can see from time to time one or another of the wireless network of neighbors, but mine has never been detected!

It seems there is a problem with the detection. As I am writing this thread, there are no more wireless network available at ll, which is most of the time the case.

My 3Com wireless modem/router is just next to this laptop "compaq nx6325", and 4 others computers are wirelessly connected to this network (including 2 ubuntus), all of them being much further to the modem than this laptop.

The broadcom card in this laptop is the bcm4310.

I prepare it for a friend, and kept her laptop for few days now, trying to sort out this wireless issue.
Should I consider trying the driver of broadcom? If so, how do I remove the files already installed?

Any help/suggestion very much appreciated.

Feenix3k
March 22nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
This set up works to a point. I see the networks around me. I can tag the DHCP server. But I don't recieve DHCP offers. My card read out from the lspci -vv command is

:02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g (rev 02)
Subsystem: Dell Truemobile 1400
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort+ <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 32
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 193
Region 0: Memory at faffc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

Crazytom
March 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the Guide. I've used it twice now. This time it worked great. I don't know yet if it will still work when i reboot but i guess we'll see. also I just used it for fiesty and it worked great after i uninstalled ndiswrapper and did modprobe bcm43xx
thanks again

zorkerz
March 25th, 2007, 01:12 AM
scratch that. Its what i get for not reading the forum well enough

handaxe
March 25th, 2007, 10:46 PM
sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter

When I try this step I get the error "Couldn't find package bcm43xx-fwcutter"

Any thoughts? I'm trying to do this on Edgy. Thanks!

Use the universe repos - that's where the proggie resides.

HA

jim.guenzel
March 25th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Worked perfectly - I stopped at step 4 as the network montor showed activity!
Thank you!
Jim

chadwicktr
March 26th, 2007, 05:01 AM
thanks! finally got my wireless working :)

TigPT
March 26th, 2007, 07:51 PM
finally my broadcom 4318 works.. thks a lot.. :)

Feenix3k
March 26th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I have a dell Inspiron 5150, the internal card is ID bcm4309. It is listed someplace as unstable.

But I got my bcm4309 working using the bcm4318 directions found Here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=197102

BinaryMadman
March 27th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Why does it not allow me to enable my BCM4318 card? Under System-->Administration-->Networking, it shows my wireless connection with a minus sign and says 'this network interface is not configured'. I go to properties and check 'Enable this connection' then press enter and nothing happens. I go back to properties and the box is unchecked. Do I have to enter a ESSID? If so...what is it and what do I write? X]

Edit: Hmm...I think it's working but I have no clue if it was the ndiswrapper or the cutter thing that made it work. I see a listing of available wireless networks around me. I can't test it until I get on campus though (through their wifi).

des4ij
March 31st, 2007, 07:19 AM
Hey,

I previously installed ubuntu and jsut came back to it. My wireless card works fine with the original network manager, but for it I have to input the SSID myself manually each time. So then I installed network-manager-gnome, but it only shows me a wired option. Any ideas as to what I can do? My internet works I just need network manager to somehow work with my eth1 connection.

acmarfil31
March 31st, 2007, 03:54 PM
At last, thank you for posting this. Never been better without wireless connection, and never been better without this community.

Athanasius
March 31st, 2007, 04:24 PM
None of this worked for me. My wireless network card was never recognized until I reformatted and installed Feisty Beta and then I installed bcmxx.fwcutter then ndiswrapper and the driver from the ndis wiki. All of that followed by a restart and now all is good.. well as good as it gets anyways

des4ij
March 31st, 2007, 06:22 PM
Hey,

I previously installed ubuntu and jsut came back to it. My wireless card works fine with the original network manager, but for it I have to input the SSID myself manually each time. So then I installed network-manager-gnome, but it only shows me a wired option. Any ideas as to what I can do? My internet works I just need network manager to somehow work with my eth1 connection.

Hey I jsut read through the thred and tried to uncheck it from networking, then rebooting and it still didnt work. Any ideas?

des4ij
March 31st, 2007, 10:42 PM
got it working... u dont disable the wireless adapter but just the configure apparently... I dont think thats how its suppose to be but it worked so im happy :)

dtcwee
April 1st, 2007, 02:55 AM
Dell Inspiron 1300 with the dreaded Dell 1370 card (4318 rev 2 chipset). Ubuntu Edgy.

The following guide complemented the one you are reading now:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Edgy (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Edgy)

Cafuego's drivers, I think, made the difference.

Notes:

Do this after a fresh install, before you do your updates.
ESSID can be case sensitive
Thoroughly disable ndiswrapper (follow the guides)

Working after 1 day. I hope you have the same good luck.

Puzzled_Pete
April 2nd, 2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks a lot. It worked for me on a Dell Inspiron 1300 after a bit of a faff blacklisting ndiswrapper utils, and then following the advice given by crag277 in post no 1105667.

:) :) :)

Juxta
April 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
It seems that if you get the following string back: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) that this guide is VERY unlikly to work for you although it does sometimes, dont ask me why, but basically every "no" vote and "this didnt work for me" post comes from a BCM4318 user....

I have the card above mentioned. However, when I turned on my notebook just now, I could connect to my wireless! Thank you so much for this amazing guide.

Greetings from sunny Germany,
Juxta.

huzelj
April 4th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Hey,

I followed the guide and everything seemed to work perfectly, however I can not connect to any wireless network. I can see them all listed with network manager or wifiradar, but when I connect it tells me it can't get the IP address, even with my own router.

I have typed modprobe bcm43xx but nothing happens after I hit enter, I am not sure what the outcome of that command is supposed to be.

When I type iwconfig this is what I get, it is still showing the last network I tried to connect to before plugging back in the network cable.

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:off/any Nickname:"SAIT"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.484 GHz Access Point: Invalid
Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

I am running a Dell D400, its BCM4306 chipset,

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jake

king minger
April 5th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Thank you for this SUPERB HOWTO :)
I suspected i was going to have issues getting the wireless to work on an ex-work laptop, but this saw me through.

details:
Dell latitude D600
Pentium M 1.4
Broadcom BCM4309 (dell1450) mini PCI card

fresh feisty beta install(after updates, the wireless was the first thing sorted out)
the dell windows driver installed on the XP partition didn't work with fwcutter but one of the ones indicated in the HOWTO did (can't be specific as i can't remember what the last one was as some of it was getting the network manager to play as well...)

so once again thanks loads!
Now i just need to get my ATI mobile 9000 running......
Al

ComputerGuru
April 6th, 2007, 11:16 PM
An exact great tutorial for the exact card that you used!

Works great now! THX so much:D

digitalwired
April 7th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Worked perfectly on my Dell Inspiron 8600 on 7.4

thisisnotkathy
April 7th, 2007, 06:18 AM
This worked fabulously on my HP dv1207 laptop, using a Broadcom BCM4309 card. I had tried ndiswrapper and it didn't work, so I was skeptical for this method. Worked great! I should have tried this first...

Thanks so much! These forums keep a linux n00b like me from getting discouraged and returning to windows!
:)

SuneC
April 11th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Hi!

I'm a Linux newbie - just installed Ubuntu 6.10 today - and have been struggling with getting my wireless connection to work. It is the right wireless card, even the one that the author of this thread owns, and I've followed all steps, multiple times, all with success until the point of rebooting, number 6.

When the system has rebooted and I log on, I look at the top-left of the screen, where the clock is located and I see 2 black screens and an exclamation mark (!) in front. I hover my mouse and receives the message "No network connection", I rightclick and see a tick where "Enable Networking" stands.

Before starting to mess with this, I could also find my wireless card in System>Administration>Networking, but now it's simply gone. Before trying this guide I had to tried to modify the settings of the wireless card in Networking, but with no results at all.

Now my question is: What have I done wrong?
I have followed the guide point-by-point, doublechecking, and even done the guide multiple times, with still the same frustrating result.

After speculating a bit, my thoughts goes in the direction of my driver. Can there be anything wrong with it? Maybe I downloaded a too old one? To be honest, I have absolutely no idea.

I really do hope that someone will be able to aid me in this, because I'm starting to like Ubuntu already, and it will be sad if I just have to remove it again so quickly. I have no intention on using this without my wireless internet, since having a cable through the half house is not really a nice solution.

Sincerely,
Sune C

herrison
April 11th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Thank you. Sorted me out (Edubuntu, Dell Latitude Broadcom wireless).

Pity the Ubuntu documentation doesn't detail the missing piece between the driver (supplied with kernel) and actual connectivity.

trubblemaker
April 11th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Do you have a question about it or are you just stating a need for documentation?
If you have a question post and we'll try and help...
In terms of documentation it is documented, on wiki's and their is a method to those included in documentation, but I can't remember how to nominate it...

MikeBee
April 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Suggest that the Wiki doc gets updated with a Feisty method.

On release this thread may get flooded with 'the wiki doesn't work' posts?

n00bWillingToLearn
April 16th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Suggest that the Wiki doc gets updated with a Feisty method.

On release this thread may get flooded with 'the wiki doesn't work' posts?
In Feisty all you need to do is install the bcm43xxfwcutter package , when you do this it will ask you if you want to have it automatically install the firmware for your card, ( if in synaptic you may need to show the console output to see this message ) choose yes and either reboot or run "sudo modprobe bcm43xx"

I will add a page in the wiki for Feisty

Strelz
April 18th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I've been chugging my way through this post, and I apologize if the solution to my problem is here and i didn't find it. I followed the original instructions to try to install wireless on my Inspiron 1150 which is running 6.10. I used the wi_apsta.o driver. I ran bcm43xx-fwcutter as instructed.

Here's what I get:

iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"linksys" Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:12:17:08:77:DE
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
Link Quality=45/100 Signal level=-80 dBm Noise level=-68 dBm

sit0 no wireless extensions.

looks almost ok, or does it?

and I also get:

ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:43:69:39:5B
inet addr:192.168.1.101 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::211:43ff:fe69:395b/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:171 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:164 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:29938 (29.2 KiB) TX bytes:21701 (21.1 KiB)
Interrupt:7

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0B:7D:12:F2:9E
inet6 addr: fe80::20b:7dff:fe12:f29e/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:176 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:347 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:28993 (28.3 KiB) TX bytes:21856 (21.3 KiB)
Interrupt:11

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:100 (100.0 b) TX bytes:100 (100.0 b)

My linksys router is set to defaults and worked fine when this Inspiron used to be Windows. So I know it works. Its SSID is lynksys and I put that in the wireless configuration field where it asked for ESSID. I loaded Gnome network manager, and at first it listed a wireless network. When I rebooted that went away. I tried modprobe bcm43xx and got a prompt back, rebooted, but no change. Can anyone tell what I am doing wrong from what I am providing, or if not, tell me what additional information I can give so they can get me going? Thanks very much.

steveyeager
April 18th, 2007, 05:34 AM
This post got my wireless working, but i cannot see my router. I have two other computers running ubuntu that use different wireless devices that connect to my wireless router just fine. I see all my neighbor's routers, but not mine. Any suggestions?

Strelz
April 20th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Here is the solution to the post I made a few days ago on this page.

The post seems to show that all is ok, yet it didn't work. I had followed the instructions of NickM to the letter. The conclusion is that NickM instructions work perfectly for a Dell Inspiron 1150. I am embarrassed to say that the problem was with the settings in my router. I thought it required a password, and it didn't. When I got Feisty, this was a big help because of the additional information it provided. That is, with 6.10, network manager did not see the eth1 interface. But with 7.04, it did. This lead me to go back and re-examine the router.

In conclusion, if you have a Dell Inspiron 1150 and you follow NickM's instructions it will work. I used the wl-ap... driver that he recommended. As he said, you don't need to go past his instruction 4. And it works a lot better in 7.04 because you get more information.

This is surely a great community when you can find all this information and get all your problems solved!

Ripfox
April 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM
bcm43xxfwcutter sucks over here...I have a bcm4311 internal and the bcm43xxfwcutter method gives me like, dial up speed?? I finally used this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Broadcom_BCM4311_rev_01_(ndiswrapper)?highlight=(W ifiDocs%2FDevice#head-f744e28e6c78eb83d22be77819b130016a8e51f3 and now I get 6mb on a speed test. Ndiswrapper works WAY better here.

kryton9
April 21st, 2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks, with your great instructions it worked and I finally have wireless on my gateway notebook, thanks again!!

vince1027
April 22nd, 2007, 04:02 AM
My Broadcom version is this:

03:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

If you have a silimar version as I do, there is a very simple way to install the driver using ndiswrapper.

What I did was:
1.) make sure you have the right sources, update you sources list. I used the list of sources found in ubuntuguide.org

2.) install ndiswrapper and ndisgtk. This can be easily done via synaptic so dont worry about the command.

3.) get your .inf driver. this is a bit weird cause I tried other drivers and it did not work. so you need to have the official .inf driver of your device.

4.) run ndisgtk.

$ sudo ndisgtk

5.) choose to install your driver and point the location of the .inf file.

6.) check to see if the wi-fi light is on. If it is then you are good. If not then this might not be the solution for you.

7.) configure the network options.

then, rejoice cause you did it in a very simple way.

SiRusty
April 23rd, 2007, 05:00 AM
This guide worked very well for me but I had to compile a 2.6.21.rc7 kernel to be able to max out my wireless speeds (I get about 130 kb/s with a wired connection) and was getting only ~20kb/s before upgrading the kernel. So if you are having very slow wireless speeds with the base install of feisty, I suggest you upgrade your kernel to at least 2.6.21.rc6.

I have a compaq v6000 laptop with the dell wireless 1390 mini-pci card.

CalcProgrammer1
April 23rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
This worked perfectly! I have a Buffalo WLI-CB-G54S based on the Broadcom chipset that you said wouldn't work! It works perfectly, but now that Ethernet card I bought because my wireless one wouldn't work was only useful for a day lol. :D :D :D

Wizkizz@hotmail.com
April 25th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Thank you so much. I LOVE UBUNTU!!!!!!

ScarySquirrel
April 26th, 2007, 09:33 AM
From now on I will use this guide as a template for making sets of instructions for buggy humans. I especially admire the "human exception handling" the author employs.:KS

Darko8472
April 26th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Would these directions work with Feisty as well?

Wireless is the ony thing stopping me from going full Linux on my Dell. Everything else works a treat, I can get 915resolution to work (it's an Inspiron 1300), just not the wireless :(

CalcProgrammer1
April 26th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I'm using it on Feisty just fine (I installed it on Edgy, then I upgraded to Feisty, but it should still work).

Darko8472
April 27th, 2007, 01:11 AM
:( Seems it doesn't want to. I have the 4318 card that people are having problems with.

The wierd thing is, it's picking up the fact that my network is THERE... it's just not connecting to it or at least isn't using it for any network traffic.

Sokraates
April 27th, 2007, 12:15 PM
:( Seems it doesn't want to. I have the 4318 card that people are having problems with.

The wierd thing is, it's picking up the fact that my network is THERE... it's just not connecting to it or at least isn't using it for any network traffic.

Does the network use WPA-encryption? If yes, try WEP and see, if it works. If this doesn't work, try Ndiswrapper instead of the bcm43xx-driver.

Here are two How-Tos (they are more or less the same, but each explains different things better):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=197102
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=285809

Darko8472
April 27th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Yes, unfortunately it's using WPA-PSK. And if I change it I'll have some rather annoyed housemates...

I'll try the How-To's and see if they work :) Thanks.

Dieter1967
April 28th, 2007, 07:13 PM
So far, so good. My connection isn't exactly the strongest, but it IS working.

I have a Dell Latitude D610 with the Broadcom 4813 chipset on the wireless card. It's been giving me fits for a week, but I THINK it's going to behave now.

Thanks for the info!

Aaragon
April 29th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Great tutorial! I'm running I had minimal success with ndiswrapper running in ubuntu . Wanted to try Kubuntu anyway so reformated and following your directions i was up in about 2 min...awesome. Crossing my fingers but I hopeful it will continue to work. BTW, my laptop is a Latitude D420 with a integrated Dell 1390 Wireless mini-card.

I thought for sure Id have to use my bcmw15 firmware but it seems that is no the case. ;) Again, thanks for a great tut!

Aaragon

keefer
April 29th, 2007, 04:21 AM
NickM, I owe ya somehow boss. Worked great, was very easy to follow. I've got VERY limited experience with Linux systems, and felt confident going through this guide. Worked on FF for me. Thanks!

...kkm

Kazol
April 29th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I tried doing this procedure and the LEDs turned on; however, I still could not connect, although I am a step closer. I enabled it from the network tool but it said something like "No network found", even though I put the WAP right next to the antenna. The "link" LED is always on, and when I enable it, the "activity" link lights up, but never blinks. I tried rebooting and enabling it through the system networking menu, but the problem persists.

Kazol
April 29th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Never mind, I figured it out. This new icon did not report the network status correctly. I enabled the wifi card in this new icon and network manager, removed the new icon, and added a system network status icon in the panel. Thanks for the drivers! My wifi card (finally) works now!

kncarlsen
April 30th, 2007, 12:20 PM
For the first time my Broadcom card 43xx is just working without ndiswrapper. Thanx!

x.1.alvin
May 4th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Nickm, you rock! I was able to get my linksys wifi card working at last by following your instructions. I previously tried a lot of methods, but yours was the one that worked. You da man!!!

Jorge32
May 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I have an nx6325 HP Compaq computher and the wireless card is the following:
Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PC I Card

and I've found that the nx6325 usually comes with a bcm card or something like that...

but anyway I can't connect!

jangeles
May 6th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Just wanted to say i was VERY happy to find this post, and even happier it worked for me.

I've installed kubuntu a number of times and always have a nightmare trying to get my wireless working with the ndiswrapper method. My router is on the other side of my flat and i don't have a long LAN cable, so i have to stretch all the wires to breaking point to connect directly.

When i found this article i thought i'd still have to do that, but i downloaded the recommended driver, and then googled fwcutter and downloaded the .deb onto my laptop. Then i put the 2 files on a USB key and transfered to my desktop. All worked straight away!

Very happy, thank you! Great solution.

Nasiom
May 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Hi,

just to let you know that a new Mac Pro (Quad Zeon) has a 4328 card...

lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation

returns:

12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 4328 (rev 01)

so none of these seems to be working. However Wifi-radar detects my access point as a G network (That is good) but there is no way to make Ubuntu using this connection.

Thanks

Nasiom

megabenman
May 7th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I have the Broadcom Corporation BCM4318, and I did all the steps (except a couple, and I changed a few, since I'm running Kubuntu). Of course, my internet still didn't work. I tried to use the first link that the tutorial said to do if you have the BCM4318 card, but everytime I type it in (I replaced gedit with Kate of course). Konsole spit out a bunch of error messages, but it still opened Kate. However, everytime I try to edit blacklist and try to add "blacklist ndiswrapper" when I save it it tells me that I don't have permission or disk space. What is the problem, and what can I do to fix this? (please remember I'm on PPC Kubuntu, so not anything that's Intel or AMD only, please :) ) I'll try to post the error message.

megabenman
May 7th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Ok, I've gotten blacklist ndiswrapper in the file thanks to the kdesu command. But now, it still isn't working! Every time I try to connect to the network it stops at 28 % (configuring device). Only a couple times it reached 57% (configuring IP address... I think). I can't see what's wrong. Here is what I've done (remember I'm using Kubuntu, not Ubuntu).

1. Updated repositories.
2. Ran sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter with success.
3. Downloaded the wl_apsta.o file to my desktop.
4. Ran sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o with success.
5. Ran sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/`uname -r` -/Desktop/wl_apsta.o with success.
6. Ran modrpboe bcm43xx.
7. Ran sudo ifconfig eth1 up.

Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

ongbk619
May 8th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks so much for the guide. I got my wireless card to work by following your instructions.

My wireless card:
Linksys WRT54G
Broadcom Corporation
BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN

Thanks again!

-b

pospam
May 8th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Just wanted to say i was VERY happy to find this post, and even happier it worked for me.

I've installed kubuntu a number of times and always have a nightmare trying to get my wireless working with the ndiswrapper method. My router is on the other side of my flat and i don't have a long LAN cable, so i have to stretch all the wires to breaking point to connect directly.

When i found this article i thought i'd still have to do that, but i downloaded the recommended driver, and then googled fwcutter and downloaded the .deb onto my laptop. Then i put the 2 files on a USB key and transfered to my desktop. All worked straight away!

Very happy, thank you! Great solution.

Hi jangeles and all in the forum:
I just installed kubuntu feisty yesterday I cannot use my wifi. The problem I have is that I only have a wireless connection and cannot use a ethernet connection. From your post I am guessing that I could download the driver and the fwcutter deb from the internet in my windows partition and then write copy then in my desktop in my linux partition and then I might be able to get my wifi working. Is this right?
Can you please tell what steps you did to make it work. Could you also give the links to the links to the driver and deb package you downloaded (in case this is all I need to get).
Thanks for you help.
P.

macron1
May 8th, 2007, 01:50 PM
i just want to thank very, very, very much whoever posted this how-to. i had been messing around for a very long time with ndiswrapper and having absolutly no luck what so ever. this method however worked first time for me.

for reference to others who are/will be in my postion, i got this working on a Compaq Presario V6000 (intel core duo) with the Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01) chip (using "lspci | grep Broad com\ Corporation" command).

this information as posted would have helped me very much, not to mention saved me several hours, had it been available when i started, so i thought i better post it. thanks again

ongbk619
May 8th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Hi jangeles and all in the forum:
I just installed kubuntu feisty yesterday I cannot use my wifi. The problem I have is that I only have a wireless connection and cannot use a ethernet connection. From your post I am guessing that I could download the driver and the fwcutter deb from the internet in my windows partition and then write copy then in my desktop in my linux partition and then I might be able to get my wifi working. Is this right?
Can you please tell what steps you did to make it work. Could you also give the links to the links to the driver and deb package you downloaded (in case this is all I need to get).
Thanks for you help.
P.

If you go to the first page of the thread the how to and links to the drivers are all there. Make sure you run the lspci command in the command line to determine that your wireless card uses the Broadcom chip set. Otherwise this how to may not work.

I'm also new, and just installed Feisty on my machine. Found this thread after hours of surfing and it was the only one that got my wireless to work. Many thanks to the author!

- Ben

Wiresless card:
Linksys WRT54G with bcm4306 chipset.

pospam
May 8th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Hi all:
Here I am posting using Kubuntu and my wireless connection.
Just to let all know what I did.
1.- Downloaded bcm43xx-fwcutter_20060108-6build1_i386.deb
from here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/utils/bcm43xx-fwcutter
2.- Downloaded the driver wl_apsta.o from the link in the 1st post of thread.
3.- Followed steps 1 to 4 in first post. (step 5 is not needed in Feisty)
Rebooted and voila.
I downloaded everything using my windows partition and then I copied it to the desktop of my linux partition. I had previously installed EXT2IFS (http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm#Download) to be able to read in write to my ext partitions in windows.
Thanks all your help and thanks for this great how-to
P.

Hp pavilion zx5190US
Broadcom BCM4306
audio, video, wireless working in feisty.

macron1
May 9th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Here I am posting using Kubuntu and my wireless connection.

just out of interest, hows your wireless speed? i finally got it going with ubuntu on an presario v6000 (see above post), but am only getting 20 KBps compared to my imac on the same wireless net work getting 175 KBps.

thanks

dArt8
May 9th, 2007, 02:04 AM
just out of interest, hows your wireless speed? i finally got it going with ubuntu on an presario v6000 (see above post), but am only getting 20 KBps compared to my imac on the same wireless net work getting 175 KBps.

thanks
Same here.
20 instead of 400 KBps.
Is it posible to get better result by using different driver.

02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5788 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
30:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 01)

pospam
May 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Same here.
20 instead of 400 KBps.
Is it posible to get better result by using different driver.

02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5788 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
30:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 01)

Hi all:
Well I don't see any difference in the download speed.
I ran a speed test and I get the exact same results in Kubuntu than in Windows.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/123859379.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
in the Knetworkmanager I get
Bandwidth:62Mb/s
Cheers
P.

Catsworth
May 10th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Hi guys, could do with some assistance with this.

All seems to be working ok, except that when I tell it to connect to my wirless network (detected ok) it reports that it has connected at 0% and then I can't actually use the network. The router's control panel shows that there aren't actually any devices connected at all :(

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Aloir
May 10th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Fantastic guide, thank you very much. This worked for me in Feisty.

Another late night attempting to make the Broadcom 4318 work. The light is now on!

However, the wireless network i normally connect to (in Windows) is not working now.

Any ideas about what to check?

Thanks again.

macron1
May 11th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Hi all:
Well I don't see any difference in the download speed.
I ran a speed test and I get the exact same results in Kubuntu than in Windows.

in the Knetworkmanager I get
Bandwidth:62Mb/s
Cheers
P.

Just to follow up on the previous wireless speed thing i was questioning previously...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/124643654.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

vs 1271 kb/s down 107 up using the same test on my imac. miserable! -well, the uploads slightly better. Any advice much appreciated, i clearly have a problem. thanks

LinkinCable
May 11th, 2007, 07:38 PM
i have a issue your HOW TO finally got me rolling but, when I try to connect.. it fails.. it finds it right (AP) but fails at connetion

Any Ideas?

LinkinCable

earobinson
May 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM
solved it for me, the weird thing is I only had to do steps 1 2 and 3 and that was it, and ideas why?

ChipG
May 17th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I am an absolute noob, and while I managed to install Ubuntu onto my HP Pavilion dv1000, I was unhappy that my wireless wasn't working.

But then I found this thread. I followed the instructions and it worked great, even though I have a BCM4318.

Thanks!

digital-adapt
May 18th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Woohoo, my wireless is working :D

My system:
Dell Latitude 131L with the 1390 802.11g Mini Card wireless card.
Ubuntu 7.04 (feisty fawn) and Windows XP Home.

Now, if I could only get my printer to work and I could give up Windows altogether :)

ChipG
May 18th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I am an absolute noob, and while I managed to install Ubuntu onto my HP Pavilion dv1000, I was unhappy that my wireless wasn't working.

But then I found this thread. I followed the instructions and it worked great, even though I have a BCM4318.

Thanks!

I spoke too soon...

It was working great. Then I rebooted. The wireless lights were on. For the first minute or so after the desktop came on, I was able to connect to the internet. But then, the connection didn't work anymore, even though the little bars showed that the wireless was still receiving a signal.

I reinstalled using these same instructions, but the same result.

Any thoughts on what this is about? Thanks!

On edit: I did a clean reinstall, and followed the directions again. But this time, no luck. The little bars are showing a signal, the name of my wireless network shows up, the wireless lights on my laptop are on, but it doesn't connect to the internet... :(

But then, I fiddled a bit more in network manager, choosing other networks (which didn't work), then manually connecting, and now it is working. Very inconsistent...

V. Wayne
May 18th, 2007, 02:28 AM
It worked with the Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02). I enabled the roaming mode and presto!

newbie_noob
May 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I get this message when i do an lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation

Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 4311 (rev 01)

Currently when i do an ifconfig i do not see any wireless connection, but the wireless connection is shown as enabled in system>admin>networking

i did follow the instructions and everything seemed to go fine, the network manager now shows just a wired connection.

please help me!

esaldana
May 20th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks!!!!

The only extra step was to turn on my card by pressing FN+F2 and the LED turned on.

I was close to give up but thank God I did not.

Regards

bknitram
May 23rd, 2007, 03:34 AM
This didn't work for me, but the BCM4306(Rev 03) instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsBroad com did.

If anyone else is having problems with anything (there are instructions for other models there too) I would advise you to look there.

lnm477
May 23rd, 2007, 04:42 PM
Nick! Thank you for taking the time and trouble to create such a tutorial.

That being said, maybe you can help me further. After installing network-manager-gnome in Xubuntu Feisty 7.04, I still don't get a wireless icon. If I type iwconfig I ge the following:

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID: "linksys" Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
Mode: Managed Frequency= 2.422GHz Access Point: numbers and letters grouped in 2 separated by a :
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=16 ddBm
Link Quality=103/100 Signal level=-28dBm Noise Level=-69 dBm

The link and power lights are lit on the wireless card, but still cannot connect to the internet.:(

By the way, I forgot to mention that I am using a linksys wpc54g card.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Ellen

TSXDriver
May 25th, 2007, 03:49 PM
This How To is awesome. I'm a new Linux user and put 6-7 hours into the other methods found in the Wiki to no avail. After 5 minutes of time with this it worked perfectly! Excellent work. I'm going to browse other posts by this person whenever I need help on stuff.

eric p
May 26th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Dude you are THE MAN thank you very much for that how to.

kokopelli69
May 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM
:KS Thanks a bunch for this post nickm.... I've spent a day and a half trying to get this to work using other posts..... As for me, I only needed to use the fwcutter program and the wl_apsta.o driver from the googlepages....

Compaq R4000 Amd 64bit laptop
Driver: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

Cheers,
Chris

:popcorn:

dphipps
May 28th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I am ok with this until I come to this.

4B ) Extract your Cards firmware from the driver
Just to be safe we'll put the driver in the kernel folder too

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/`uname -r` ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

you may have to repeat this step each time the kernel is updated or you may not, your results may vary.

Note The location and name of the .o file for this command may differ in your case, if you really get stuck type bcm43xx-fwcutter and then hit space, find your file using the GUI and then drag and drop it into the terminal.

What is `uname -r` supposed to be.

user@laptop:~$ ls /lib/firmware/
2.6.20-15-generic bcm43xx_initval05.fw bcm43xx_microcode11.fw
2.6.20-16-generic bcm43xx_initval06.fw bcm43xx_microcode2.fw
bcm43xx_initval01.fw bcm43xx_initval07.fw bcm43xx_microcode4.fw
bcm43xx_initval02.fw bcm43xx_initval08.fw bcm43xx_microcode5.fw
bcm43xx_initval03.fw bcm43xx_initval09.fw bcm43xx_pcm4.fw
bcm43xx_initval04.fw bcm43xx_initval10.fw bcm43xx_pcm5.fw
user@laptop:~$

ronniew
May 30th, 2007, 04:22 AM
how do you get wpa working with this card.... if i have to use ndiswrapper then how do i uninstall this module?

lemike
June 1st, 2007, 03:38 AM
Thank you so much.
I really didn't expect this to work as I'm using one of those Airforce cards that were mentioned, but this message is being posted wirelessly.
You are now definitely my favourite person on the internets.

francilla
June 1st, 2007, 07:42 PM
thank you so much. it did work, even though my broadcom card is a 4311 one!:popcorn:

JoshBenner
June 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks very much!
Tried various different methods trying to get my wireless card working (including ndiswrapper) but to no avail.
But then I tried this method and it worked straight away!
Thanks again :D

Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

Acidfire68594
June 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
ok ive read threw like all the posts and the most i could do is get my wireless working for 30 seconds, ive got a Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) and if anyone could walk me threw this PLZ email me at acidfire68594@gmail.com :(

new_siscosab
June 4th, 2007, 02:05 AM
I am a very new beginner. I installed Feisty 7.04. Thank you so much for the instructions for the Belkin card. It absolutely works.

Belkin F5D7230-4 Router
Belkin F5D7010 802.11g Wireless card
Dell Inspiron 4150 Notebook

jdmcbr
June 6th, 2007, 02:28 AM
So, I have a brand new installation of dapper 6.06. Coming to this page and following these directions were the absolute first thing that I did. As nearly as I can tell, I followed the directions exactly. However, I am still unable to connect wirelessly. I looked through this thread a bit (though not extensively), and did not see any answer that addressed this exact issue. It seems that most people had errors along the way, but everything I did seemed to go smoothly.

jmcbride@jmcbride-laptop:~$ more /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=6.06
DISTRIB_CODENAME=dapper
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS"
jmcbride@jmcbride-laptop:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
0000:02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
jmcbride@jmcbride-laptop:~$ iwconfig

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:off/any Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: Invalid
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=19 dBm

sit0 no wireless extensions.

I am using an hp pavilion zv5000. Thank you in advance for any help.

macron1
June 8th, 2007, 11:34 PM
So, I have a brand new installation of dapper 6.06. Coming to this page and following these directions
upgrade to feisty then try it again?

jpyanowski
June 9th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I just want to thank all of the Ubuntu forums. I now have a HP Pavillion dv2010us AMD64 laptop dual booting Vista and Fiesty with a working Broadcom wireless. Life is sweet.....:-\"

goodtimetribe
June 11th, 2007, 07:38 PM
It didn't work for me. I'm one of the no votes with a 4318 AirForce. (ASUS WL-120)

hypedup05
June 11th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'm having a problem enabling the universal packages step. I clicked on the link and tried to follow the instructions, but I after going into the synaptic package manager > settings > repositories I don't have an Add button like the instructionis say.

I'm using the newest version of Ubuntu, 7.04

Cialciut
June 11th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Thank you nickm, your guide works perfectly for me [-o<

I used it on my Dell Inspiron 1300 with 1370 wireless minipci card ( yes... Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) :) ) and Ubuntu 7.04

The only precondition, on my case, it was to turn on the wireless device inside the BIOS (set off by default).
After that I followed your guide exactly step by step.

Thank's again.

anndruu12
June 13th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Is there a guide anywhere for how to get wireless working with a WPC54G ver. 3 Broadcom Corporation BCM4318[Airforce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)? I read in the HowTo post that it is highly unlikely it would work if that is the version I have. I tried it anyway but as was said, it didn't work. Any ideas?

Cialciut
June 14th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Have you checked inside your bios if the wireless device is set on?
On windows startup there is a software that turn on the wireless card but on ubuntu this software doesn't exist. So you have to turn it on by default in your bios settings. After that this guide worked for my pc (Dell inspiron 1300). Try.

modal_realism
June 14th, 2007, 06:39 AM
First post here.

After several Ubuntu versions... Dapper, Edgy, and now Feisty Fawn. After a couple PCLinuxOS distros and countless other releases...

I have FINALLY gotten wireless to work on my HP dv6000z ( BCM4310 ). Thank you so much! I always kept trying the ndiswrapper manual way. I remember something about the fwcutter, but this recent try that I made had an ANSI-GUI popup on the apt-get command and automatically extracted the bcm drivers for me. It worked like a charm. On reboot, it popped up with all the wireless connections! Everything works on this laptop now. I can FINALLY sever myself from Windows. Well at least on the laptop. The gaming rig has gotta stay; Crysis is coming out soon afterall ;) But it has Feisty Fawn on it as well; so its all good!

Thanks again guys! You've made a believer out of me once again! :p :p :)

Tulip
June 15th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by DW5
Upgraded from Breezy, tried all day yesterday to get this to work following the guide. Have an Compaq nx9010 with a Broadcom 4303. ...used the cutter, modprobed, etc. To no avail, could see network, but dhcp failed to get an ip.
DW

Is it a nx9110? That is supported but 9010 is not on the list. Please try again once Ubuntu has updated their kernels.

I've got the same Compaq nx9010/Broadcom 4303 chipset, and am running into the same problems. Im using a freshly updated install of Feisty What/where is this list and has the 9010 been added onto it yet?

Regards

soapytheclown
June 15th, 2007, 04:30 AM
I'm having a problem enabling the universal packages step. I clicked on the link and tried to follow the instructions, but I after going into the synaptic package manager > settings > repositories I don't have an Add button like the instructionis say.

I'm using the newest version of Ubuntu, 7.04

i believe that in fiesty you can just install the firmware cutter and the rest sorts itself out automatically atleast thats all i had to do for my bcm43xx card ;) just try that for now

Dmitri
June 22nd, 2007, 12:15 AM
Hey, will this work for Kubuntu 7.04? (pure KDE, no Gnome programs/libraries)

EDIT:
To answer my own question:
Yes, it did work! Big thanks to everyone who made this possible!

Though I did not install any other network manager, I just decided I'd stick with KNetworkManager.. and it works fine.
So, to all KDE users, you don't have to go with Gnome apps for this to work.

P.S. Finally removing Windows from my profile :-P

slickrik
June 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
Thank you so much for this post.
It worked like a charm!!!

Kind regards Rik :D

Dmitri
June 22nd, 2007, 07:26 PM
Hm, for some reason, it worked before but stopped working after a second restart..

I always get stuck at
"Activation stage: IP configuration Started"" when trying to connect to an unencrypted
OR
"Activation stage: Configuring device." when the wireless network is encrypted

Also, now I'm unable to shut down my computer normally (and when it tries to shut down), the network button on my laptop flashes like crazy!
I have Compaq R4000, with Kubuntu 7.04... That I just installed the other day after formating my whole drive.

Hm, any help here?
I also tried to repeat the steps.. but to no avail.

Oh, and I can still see all the networks that are available.. it's just that the network card acts like crazy when trying to configure itself.

-Dmitri

nunnst
June 22nd, 2007, 07:53 PM
EXCELLENT! I can return the new cards I bought (of which only 1 of the 2 worked). You saved me $70 bucks!

I now have an HP dv8210us laptop w/ Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) working very very nicely!

God I wish I'd found this 4 days ago when I first made the leap!!!

NOTE: I did make 1 change, I couldn't find bcm43xx_fwcutter in the Synaptics Repository so I got it from here:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=i386&file=pool%2Funiverse%2Fb%2Fbcm43xx-fwcutter%2Fbcm43xx-fwcutter_20060108-6build1_i386.deb&md5sum=a86e66aba8afc1a7ba1c872ae4192a57&arch=i386&type=main

When I went to step 4 of the guide I hit an error because the .deb install script from the different site placed bcm43xx-fwcutter in /usr/bin instead of in /lib/firmware. This required the following change to step 4:

4 ) Extract your Cards firmware from the driver. Open a terminal (dont worry) and type
the following:

Code:

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /usr/bin ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

THANKS AGAIN

Ahslan
June 23rd, 2007, 12:52 AM
could someone plz help me...i have absolutely no idea wat im doing...i installed the latest ubuntu desktop version and tried to get the wireless working but have no clue wat to do...i get stuck on the fwcutter part...it says it cant find it. A little help would be appreciated..

Dmitri
June 23rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Hm, for some reason, it worked before but stopped working after a second restart..

I always get stuck at
"Activation stage: IP configuration Started"" when trying to connect to an unencrypted
OR
"Activation stage: Configuring device." when the wireless network is encrypted

Also, now I'm unable to shut down my computer normally (and when it tries to shut down), the network button on my laptop flashes like crazy!
I have Compaq R4000, with Kubuntu 7.04... That I just installed the other day after formating my whole drive.

Hm, any help here?
I also tried to repeat the steps.. but to no avail.

Oh, and I can still see all the networks that are available.. it's just that the network card acts like crazy when trying to configure itself.

-Dmitri

Hm, now it works again....
duh.

I didn't do anything... and I'm almost afraid of touching my system now (since I'm going to travel now... and I seriously need wireless.)
It is somewhat inconsistent as a fix... but it's better that no wireless at all. I'll keep you posted if I can ;)

Dmitri
June 23rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
could someone plz help me...i have absolutely no idea wat im doing...i installed the latest ubuntu desktop version and tried to get the wireless working but have no clue wat to do...i get stuck on the fwcutter part...it says it cant find it. A little help would be appreciated..

Do you have Universe Repository enabled?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Packages?action=show&redirect=UniversePackages

thoman
June 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Great ....
I have follow the instructions and it work fine with me..
Testing on Ubuntu 7.04

gletob
June 27th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks worked great I have BCM4318 Rev 2 and it worked perfectly on 7.04 no issues at all.

Hmoobgolian
July 3rd, 2007, 09:06 PM
Has anyone able to get this working with WEP? I can't connect to my AP with WEP enabled on it. All else is fine though... Please help!!??

HeinekenPissr
July 4th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Why do you want to use WEP? Use WPA, it's more secure anyway.

Sokraates
July 4th, 2007, 08:01 AM
For whatever reason since Feisty my card refuses to connect to WPA-encrypted connections. WEP and unprotected works.

Hmoobgolian: If you have any influence on the encryption used (i.e. your home network etc), try WPA instead. Concerning WEP I can only imagine, that either the wrong type is used (at least oon my router I have 3 or 4 types of WEP-connections) or the password was simply entered as HEX instead of ASCII or vice versa.

Hmoobgolian
July 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Actually, my WEP hex key is correct and works in Windows, but not in the Gnome Network Manager. I know that WPA is more secure, but because I share it with my neighbor, it's more of a hassle to reconfigure the new encryption. I was just wondering if anyone has been able to get their Gnome Network Manager to work using WEP. If so, please share on how you got it working. Thanks.

archangel.jason
July 6th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I have the 4318 and this worked for me. I am using the new 7.04 Feisty Fawn. Thanks a lot for this page.

Graham Joyce
July 7th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Thank YOU very much .........
BCM4318 card running on Dell GX270 with Feisty Fawn, exactly as detailed in "How to" post.

diablo75
July 7th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Does anybody know if this guide will work for a BCM94306? I don't have the laptop with me to try this out (it's a clients laptop I just installed Ubuntu on, and I'd like to get that internal card working for them).

t0xy
July 8th, 2007, 10:18 AM
@nickm, Thanks alot for this information. The tutorial given worked perfectly for me!
Just wish it worked faster then 11mbps.

saifu
July 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM
worked great..I have bcm4318 and feisty 7.04 on hp nx6125...tnx alot \\:D/

jimbster2
July 12th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks!

It works great! I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 on an IBook G4 powerpc, dual boot with OSX 10.39, 60 gb drive, 500 mb ram. Router is Linksys WRT54G on Verizon DSL 3mb/s.

802.11b is just fine with me with 3mb/s.

I also use Ubuntu 7.04 on my Dell desktop, dual boot with Windows XP, no wireless.

Thanks again.
jimbster2

peewee3ie
July 19th, 2007, 01:18 AM
this work very will on Kubuntu ver 7.04 (Is what i Have on my laptop) as well as ubuntu. My laptop is a Acer Aspire 5050. Thank you for the info on making the wireless card work

Tony MC Gurie

tgbrowning
July 19th, 2007, 03:52 AM
I'm getting a result that confuses me a bit. In the terminal, when I entered:

I'm getting the following result:

01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 4328 (rev 03)

The reason this confuses me is I just set up a computer for my daughter -- same model, using the exact same distro (Feisty Fawn) with all of the hardware identical, and things proceeded exactly like your "How To" -- letter by letter. Obviously, something isn't the same, but I damned if I can figure out what. Any ideas why a machine with the same hardware would turn up a wifi card as unknown one time and known another?

Browning>>>

peewee3ie
July 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM
tgbrowning

JUst do it. I had the same thing as you and it worked when i done it all. I world try it and it should work.

tgbrowning
July 19th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Tha's probably what I'll end up doing, since it did work the first time on the other machine. I was just worried about the fact that the computer seems to see it as an unknown device.

Browning>>>

djino
July 26th, 2007, 01:40 PM
OMG!!! The guide work.. BEST GUIDE EVER!!!!.. THANK YOU!!!!!

djino
"Who is now wired-free thanks to the guide"

jazzflight
July 26th, 2007, 10:00 PM
This worked great with my Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) card. And to everyone who is having problems with getting this to work, try this:

and add:

to a new line.

Thank God!!! I could kiss you.

Elloyd
July 28th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Your directions worked great! The cutter did the trick.

ahchong
July 28th, 2007, 12:31 PM
ARGH!!!
you all know what?
after all the methods that u gave me, i still can NOT run the wireless card.
i still not given up in this thing.
sure ive been bless by broadcom. i dont want to waste my money to buy wireless card PCMCIA.
erm... anyone that can help? other than give me the idea to buy new card!!!

wzardd
July 28th, 2007, 01:40 PM
This guide worked for me (as least for now).

Many thanks.

smoore
July 29th, 2007, 12:24 AM
YES vote on the poll.

feisty fawn, gateway laptop something or other. My wife's machine (she's a linux user now, wooo!)

broadcom 43xx chipset

All I had to do was install the firmware extractor mentioned in the OP and reboot (it asked me to download and extract the firmware... enter means YES!). I had already set up the ssid and put the 128bit HEX password (yeah, I'm slackin' but the stepkids' machines won't do WPA) before installing the FW extractor.

Good stuff, this Ubuntu. Here I've been buying hardware that I KNOW works with Linux... she decides to "try it" and manages to find a distro with point-n-click + one forum search wireless install. I guess I'm cheating a little knowing how *nix works so I don't have to follow tutorials to the letter.

This is, indeed, posted on her laptop using the aforementioned wireless connection. Sound controller next.

Sweet. You Ubuntu guys are going to bring Linux to The Masses. Good job.

Elloyd
July 30th, 2007, 06:14 AM
ARGH!!!
you all know what?
after all the methods that u gave me, i still can NOT run the wireless card.
i still not given up in this thing.
sure ive been bless by broadcom. i dont want to waste my money to buy wireless card PCMCIA.
erm... anyone that can help? other than give me the idea to buy new card!!!

Ok so since we can't read minds, what part of this guide did you try and what results did you get especially in the query about whether or not you have a broadcom chipset? Give the group some details so we can help.

und3rtug4
July 31st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Nice... very nice!

I have a fuc**** old broadcom at my old & busted laptop!

I tried a lot of ways, but it only worked out using the "CUTTER"!

Thanks dude! Brought my old busted laptop back in action!

Props!

aaaantoine
August 2nd, 2007, 02:38 AM
I apparently have one of the Air Station wifi adapters, but I followed the steps and got wifi working pretty quickly.

The only problem I had was that the fwcutter could not be verified. The installation of fwcutter didn't finish when I tried it in a terminal, but it worked via the Synaptic Package Manager.

Specs:
Acer Aspire 5050
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn AMD64

wawjohn
August 8th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Worked fine for me with a Linksys card. I'm running Kubuntu 7.04, and using KNetworkManager on a client's old Packard Bell laptop.

However, the bcm43xx-fwcutter configure script wanted to download from its built-in URL, whose site is apparently over its bandwidth limit, so the configure script failed.

I sucessfully downloaded the file from http://sidulus.textdrive.com/bcmwl5sys.zip, and extracted the firmware files into my curent kernel directory only. One reboot later, and the card was working and sucessfully connected to an open network, then to a WPA network.

One problem remained, however. Each time I ran synaptic or apt-get, it would attempt to configure the bcm43xx-fwcutter package. This failed, because the download site is still unavailable. To stop apt from complaining any more,i edited /var/lib/dpkg/info/bcm43xx-fwcutter.postinst and simply put an exit at the beginning of the script. Then I ran dpkg --configure -a and satified apt's hunger for sucess.

So thanks a lot!

nickm
August 8th, 2007, 02:07 AM
woah, seems the fwcutter developers modified their code to download a file from my googlepages site without telling me. now my site is out of bandwidth so their code broke!

InfinityCircuit
August 10th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Is it possible to move wl_apsta.o to another mirror? At the moment, attempting to extract bcmwl5.sys from the windows partition on my computer gives me this error:

Sorry, the input file is either wrong or not supported by bcm43xx-fwcutter.
I can't find the MD5sum b89bcf0a25aeb3b47030ac83287f894a :(

I was only able to get wl_apsta.o to work. It is unfortunate that the site was overloaded, apparently without the manager's knowledge.

coniferous
August 12th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Just a small note that would of saved me alot of fustration - After your done following the steps, make SURE your press the button that turns your wireless off or on! it should be on by default, but mine wasn't for some odd reason...

Oh well, works now!

Thanks for the howto!

colombo187
August 15th, 2007, 08:10 AM
AWSOME!! I've been trying other ubuntu tutorials for a couple of days - but this one worked, and very quickly I might Add.

I have the BCM4318 and no wired networking but I downloaded the fwcutter package at work and used the NT driver that came with the CD....

Thanks again!!
:guitar:

higgsboson
August 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Hi,

I have a Fedora 7 installation on my powerbook G4. The is no kernel directory in my /lib/firmware, unlike the screenshot shown in this tutorial. Its occupied by a folder named "zd1211", two LICENSE files, and a bunch of bcm43xx firmwares that were there from installation. Therefore I can't proceed with step 4b.

Is anyone familiar with this sisuation? How to work around it?
:confused:

PerfMonk
August 17th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Hi,

I'm sending this reply from my brand new wireless connection!

My card is :

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

I would like thank everybody that contribute to this great howto : THANKS!
You are the ones that make Ubuntu such a great distro.

Second, I would like to highlight an area where instructions where not very clear to me. The part about copying the windows driver got me confuse a bit. I had some drivers on the CD in a ./drivers/nt/ directory... There was another w98 directory and an executable in the root of the CD. So I wasn't sure wich file to use with fwcutter ... I wasn't sure neither of the name of the file. Finally I used the bcmwl5.sys I had on the NT directory and it obviously work great.

This area of the howto could be made clearer to a newbie like me.

Regards,
BT

watercooled
August 29th, 2007, 06:20 AM
anybody know where wl_apsta.o is hosted now?

The original link is down and i cannot find this anywhere. Would someone mind emailing this too me?

PM me if you can spare 1 min to send this. Thanks everyone

cjgtaz2510
August 30th, 2007, 02:57 AM
I am setting up wireless on my Compaq and received this error when I followed the instructions:

Resolving boredklink.googlepages.com... 72.14.203.118
Connecting to boredklink.googlepages.com|72.14.203.118|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
18:02:08 ERROR 404: Not Found.

dpkg: error processing bcm43xx-fwcutter (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
bcm43xx-fwcutter
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

antm88
August 31st, 2007, 02:55 PM
@watercooled, you can use www.archive.org (the web archive) to find the file before it was taken down. That site is unbelievably useful!
Ant

Immanuel
September 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM
I confirm not all the links in the post work correctly: here I provide a possible solution.

I first tried using the bcm driver I found in my windows system folders, the fwcutter did work correctly but the driver didn't work, as apparently the bcm43xx in kernels before 2.6.23 is not compatible with "version 4" drivers. My problem was highlighted by messages shown by dmesg, and saying:

bcm43xx: Firmware: no support for microcode extracted from version 4.x binary drivers.

I then made a number of google searches and finally had success (in Ubuntu Feisty 7.04, with a broadcomm 4311 on a Dell 1390 MiniPCI card installed on a Latitude 131l laptop) following the instructions found here: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
(in particular, using the "version 3" file).

In short, what I had to do that was not specified in this article was:

download the apsta file from here: http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
run the following commands (found here: http://doc.fedora-fr.org/Installation_du_wifi_-_bcm43xx ) to restart the driver:
# sudo rmmod bcm43xx < -- unload module
# sudo modprobe bcm43xx < -- load module
# sudo dmesg | grep bcm < -- verify it's working, no error msgs.
# sudo dmesg | grep 80211
# sudo lsmod < -- verify module is loaded

I think the linuxwireless link should be put in evidence on the top of the original post, and the links from that site to the .o files should be explicited.

jcaledun
September 7th, 2007, 01:20 AM
this worked a few weeks ago, i just reloaded my Dell Latitude D610 today and it no longer works. Any ideas?

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
bcm43xx-fwcutter is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up bcm43xx-fwcutter (006-1) ...
--19:19:35-- http://boredklink.googlepages.com/wl_apsta.o
=> `wl_apsta.o'
19:19:35 ERROR 404: Not Found.

bcm43xx-fwcutter

crisnoh
September 14th, 2007, 12:43 AM
nevermind

ruggrat
September 14th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I had the same problem as jcaledun:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
bcm43xx-fwcutter is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up bcm43xx-fwcutter (006-1) ...
--16:38:18-- http://boredklink.googlepages.com/wl_apsta.o
=> `wl_apsta.o'
16:38:18 ERROR 404: Not Found.

bcm43xx-fwcutter

What can I do to fix it?

jude01
September 25th, 2007, 08:28 PM
worked for me!!

I had to run modprobe bcm43xx and reinstall network manager, but after I rebooted it worked fine :)

you all rock! :guitar:

auraness
September 26th, 2007, 02:13 AM
This was amazingly difficult with other guides, but this one was easy to follow. Thanks.

Zizo
September 30th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I couldn't go through all the 92 pages of this thread to check if someone had my problem and had it solved.

I know it is for bcm43xx but why not giving it a try. My Broadcom is 4401 and I am not able to get my wireless working. I can see the wireless connection, it says "excellent strengh". I put the sucurity key in Hex and activate the eth1. The bars in the network manager are all green, but I cannot browse the internet or use this connection.

My ubuntu is 6.06, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8600. I can post more info about hardware and other things but right now I am forced to post from my Windows so I have no access to a terminal.

Thank you in advance.

proghead
October 1st, 2007, 06:09 PM
Just wanted to say thanks, you saved me a lot of work. This works great!:)

prog.

markp1989
October 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
thanks i tried this in gusty tribe 5 and it worked perfectly

twhitney
October 4th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I have the "Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)" you said was unlikely to work, and this description worked just fine to me. In a matter of minutes I was up and running. However, the link to the wl_apsta.o was broken... but I had found an alternative download location so I could use that one you recommended... and after that like I said, 5 minutes and I was good to go... I didnt even have to reboot, the wireless network I was near picked up immediately... after numerous reboots it connects automatically and it seems very stable. Kudos to you, Im alright with linux, but when it comes to wireless and drivers etc. I get very very frustrated/confused... Thanks so much.

markp1989
October 5th, 2007, 12:55 AM
I have the "Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)" you said was unlikely to work, and this description worked just fine to me. In a matter of minutes I was up and running. However, the link to the wl_apsta.o was broken... but I had found an alternative download location so I could use that one you recommended... and after that like I said, 5 minutes and I was good to go... I didnt even have to reboot, the wireless network I was near picked up immediately... after numerous reboots it connects automatically and it seems very stable. Kudos to you, Im alright with linux, but when it comes to wireless and drivers etc. I get very very frustrated/confused... Thanks so much.

do you have a link to the alternative download

LennyCZ
October 5th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Hi!

I have an BCM4318 WL card (ASUS WL-138g V2), and it works! Maybe I`m lucky, but thank you for this manual!!!

rcatman
October 5th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I have

Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

I used the bc43-fwcutter at first to extract the firmware and install the bcm43xx module but was limited to 11Mbps wireless connection. Connecting took a while too.

I recently switched to ndiswrapper and I can connect up to 54Mbps and the connection and wireless detection process is much faster! I used a script called bcm43xx-gtk-installer (version 0.2.1) by Darkn00b and it installed everything perfect.

Also, I never use network-manager (in gnome and kde). I always install wicd (http://wicd.sourceforge.net). I use feisty fawn. Hopefully in Gutsy the network-manager will be improved and actually show wireless networks.

n00bWillingToLearn
October 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I'd like to note that Gutsy's restricted manager now does this for you, it would be nice if somehow the parent could update his first comment to reflect this since this thread has gotten so long.

DapperMe17
October 7th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Zizo...maybe a firewall conflict. If you have green bars...you've GOT internet connection to your PC or laptop. Your browser may say "unable to connect to server".

Uninstall "iptables" & then restart your wireless network in Ubuntu. If you get a connect, then it was just a firewall conflict.. Then, you can simply reinstall iptables (ps...you may have to fetch updates first, before iptables can be found in the repositories).

capsfans6366
October 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM
So Laptop magazine made it sound like installing and using Ubuntu would be a walk in the park. In fact, they said, "connecting to wireless access points was easy, even encrypted ones". Well, they weren't installing on MY laptop. I've got the dreaded Broadcom 4306 ver 3 built-in wireless card, and I can't get the thing to work. Ubuntu shows the card as existing, but it won't go looking for wireless networks, nor will it connect manually to my network. It does say that it's using a driver for Broadcom 43xx cards.

I've tried installing and using FCCUTTER and NDISwrapper (got the windows driver from HP), but I'm not sure that I'm using either one of them correctly. I'm computer literate (used to build my own desktops and can troubleshoot Windows problems pretty well), but I'm a complete neophyte to LINUX (I'm not afraid to use the terminal window, but I haven't a clue what commands to use). I've tried going through this and other help sites, but I can't figure out what to do where.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, before I go scuttling back to the gentle confines of Win-dom.
:confused:

jodoj80
October 7th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Hi.

I read the "How to: Broadcom Wireless cards without Ndiswrapper for Dapper and Edgy". Actually, my laptop is running feisty fawn and I thought that this guide will help me with my problem. But, I got a problem in step three when I try to install "bcm43xx.." from Synaptic Package Manager.
E: bcm43xx-fwcutter: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1 If I try it from the terminal I get this message
Err http://do.archive.ubuntu.com feisty/universe bcm43xx-fwcutter 1:006-1
Could not resolve 'do.archive.ubuntu.com'
Failed to fetch http://do.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/b/bcm43xx-fwcutter/bcm43xx-fwcutter_006-1_i386.deb Could not resolve 'do.archive.ubuntu.com'
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing? I want to know if there's other method using feisty fawn.

It's really hard to connect in places where they only had wireless access.

n00bWillingToLearn
October 8th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Does anybody know if this guide will work for a BCM94306? I don't have the laptop with me to try this out (it's a clients laptop I just installed Ubuntu on, and I'd like to get that internal card working for them).

4306 is supported according to http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/?go=devices so it should work, on Feisty just install the bcm43xx package and it will offer to grab and extract the firmware, in Gutsy just go to System -> Administration -> Restricted Driver Manager.

kambad
October 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I am a noob, Yes ;( I really appreciate the work you have done, I really didn't wanted to go through ndiswrapper as it broke my computer once. I followed your preocedure and I am stuck at step No.4 "sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o". I get a "Cannot open input file /home/kambiz/wl_apsta.o" response and I can't go any furthur in the procedure. Your help would be appreciated.

Techbot
October 11th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Thank you. Just installed my first *nix .
Once I saw that ubuntu could see the card but not the network I was convinced I was in for a long haul. A quick google, a bit of copy and pasting and the thing was working in about 5 mins.

I'm not even exactly sure what I did, I simply followed the instructions.

Well done.

cghost
October 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM
Currently, I'm running Gentoo and thinking of switching to Ubuntu. The thing that is stopping me is that Ubuntu uses 2.6.22, and recently in 2.6.23 there were improvements for the Broadcom wireless driver that fixed a problem I was having with my card (a 4311 model which are known to have major problems with the bcm43xx driver.)

Have these improvements been included in the latest Ubuntu? Is there any way I can take advantage of the 2.6.23 improvements if not?

cyb3rj
October 22nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
Davers007,

Go into your /etc/network/interfaces file and comment out everything after "auto lo
iface lo inet loopback"

The gnome network manager will NOT work correctly unless you do this! I'm not "good" enough to know if that is your only problem, but it sure is one of your problems at least.

Anyway, when you're done your file should look like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

#auto eth1
#iface eth1 inet dhcp

#auto ppp0
#iface ppp0 inet dhcp

Removing the additional entries for my eth1 were exactly the solution to this after I followed these steps: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo

Always more than one way to skin a cat, I guess. However, the initial tutorial on this gave me some good ideas on what could get this working. MARVELOUS!

Klaus die Maus
October 22nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Davers007,

Go into your /etc/network/interfaces file and comment out everything after "auto lo
iface lo inet loopback"

The gnome network manager will NOT work correctly unless you do this! I'm not "good" enough to know if that is your only problem, but it sure is one of your problems at least.

Anyway, when you're done your file should look like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

#auto eth1
#iface eth1 inet dhcp

#auto ppp0
#iface ppp0 inet dhcp

My nm-applet was broken until I this so now I can choose my connection, however my wired connection won't work. I had to go to manual configuration and change it from roaming mode to dhcp, but once I do that I can't choose my wired connection from the applet.

phdpeabody
October 24th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Can anyone post a guide for this that will work in KDE instead of Gnome?

meth
October 26th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I have 4303 chipset wireless card:

lshw -C network ouput:

*-network:0
description: Wireless interface
product: BCM4303 802.11b Wireless LAN Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 9
bus info: pci@00:09.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:90:4b:57:2d:7b
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bcm43xx driverversion=2.6.20-16-generic latency=64 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b
resources: iomemory:d0002000-d0003fff irq:10

I have installed firmware like you say, but i get:

dmesg | grep bcm

[ 24.028000] bcm43xx driver
[ 32.448000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1126
[ 32.448000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1126
[ 32.448000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1128
[ 32.448000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1128

I can see the networks, but i cant connect, even in unsecure networks.

What can i do?

now-new
November 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Great Job, I had Red Hat 5, then Ubuntu 7.04 and because I couldn't put to work my internet card I switch back to Windows XP Pro. but now thinking that Ubuntu 7.10 would have change all of it I switch again, but couldn't understand and finding your tutorial it was great, thanks
in less than 15 min.

Ahslan
November 8th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Great instructions...worked perfectly for me...I just wanted to ask if there is a way to get the full 54mbs G working...right now it works perfectly under B (11mbs) but i wanted to see if there is a way get it going any faster...?

heyster
November 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
It worked for me too.
Good work dude!!!

oraldlight
December 10th, 2007, 09:32 PM
2 years of off-and-on attempts and this thread solved my built-in wifi problems.
YES!!!!!!

buccaneere
December 11th, 2007, 12:53 AM
You got a lot of effort here, nickm. That's to be lauded.

The punctuation and semantics however, makes for a VERY, VERY difficult read. It is horrible.

TwoFlightsDown
December 17th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I have a Broadcom BCM 4306 on a five-year-old notebook computer (Compaq Presario 2500). I was frustrated with my wireless card, but your directions worked like a charm. Thank you so much for offering your help!

mr_dna
December 23rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
This works great on an old Inspiron 8100 with a Motorola WN825G NIC (running OpenSUSE 10.3). Ndiswrapper worked briefly for me in Dapper, but was more trouble than it was worth - the card wouldn't initialize at boot, and would intermittently work, only if plugged in while the system was already running.

I've noticed in other posts that bcm43xx-fwcutter results in 11Mb/s connections on some systems, mine is running great at 22Mb/s without any tweaking, so if you've got an old 8100 and a WN825G, you may be in luck!

Anyway, thanks for posting this! My old notebook has new life :)

downtownmicah
December 30th, 2007, 03:46 AM
so maybe im just retarded but ive been working on this issue for a while now and nothing seems to work ive followed the directions from several forum's step by step and restarted the process several times
under my kinfoCenter this is my wireless card

BCM4328 802.11 a/b/g/n (rev 3)

and yes i know this is an ubuntu forum and i am running kubuntu gutsy but over all this has been the most helpful in beginning to understand the problem
so SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

ShadowBlade
December 31st, 2007, 04:33 PM
It is awesome, now it works for me, thank you so much!

For information, here is what I did on Edgy (I followed the tutorial):
0b:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

blacklist ndiswrapper
Remove all but lo in sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
wl_apsta and bcm43xx_pcm5
network-manager-gnome

my wifi card was lit up but I couldn't connect to an AP, I used wifi-radar and now it works!

virtuallinux
January 10th, 2008, 03:03 AM
wow, I've finally got this card working. Thanks! I've got a USR 5411 MAXg card (uses BCM4318 chipset), and had never been able to get it to work with ndiswrapper. This was the first time I had tried the fwcutter method.

For the record, here's my system:

Sony Vaio PCG-F430
USR MAXg 5411PC card
Fresh install of Gutsy Gibbon
Used the driver located on my Windows partition

barisilk
January 18th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Hi,I have the wrong checksum error too but at fwcutter's web page it seems that my wireless card which is Broadcom 4311 is supported.There seems to be 2 different versions of fwcutter I tried both of them but nothing changed :( have anyone dealt with this problem?

mukherjee.siddhartha
January 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Hi,
I am using Gusty now...And all wireless problem solved.
So i just suggest you all guys to use Gusty if you use wireless :guitar:

cariocakev
January 25th, 2008, 05:19 PM
FYI, I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 on a Powerbook G4 1GHz machine with a Broadcom 4306.

This set of instructions worked fairly well, but there were bugs in the firmware that affected this machine's startup and shutdown sequences, hanging Nautilus for a couple minutes on startup for example.

I found that this firmware works well and seems to have few system-snagging bugs:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o

I was only able to get a connection to a wireless router with security disabled and MAC authentication turned on. I don't like that lack of encryption. I will try messing more with WEP soon. I hear you MUST have a 13-digit key, but I still haven't gotten that to work.

Good luck all!

Anyone know if there's a tool to extract the *Apple*-loaded firmware rather than using PC or third-party firmware? Apple's drivers for the card are pretty solid.

mckemie
January 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM
With Gutsy, apparently bcm43xx-fwcutter downloads the firmware from the internet. It seemed to go well. I did the bcm43xx-fwcutter thing using a working Orinco type card. However, the new setup did not connect to my AP. The AP is configured to take either b or g connections.

Here is my lspci:
---
root@ubuntu710a:~# lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
root@ubuntu710a:~#
---
It is a Motorola badged card. When installed, it seems to work; lights come one and it becomes eth2 and appears under iwconfig. However, it does not connect to my (also Motorola) AP and I can not do a dhclient.

Suggestions solicited.

noah420
January 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I followed the steps you showed and this is what resulted (linux user since yesterday morning)

Before I did this my wireless card would not turn on, thus not find any networks

Now, it turns on, and detects the network, but will not connect

I made sure I have '802.11g Only' unchecked in my router settings
(the help says leave unchecked if your network is comprised of 802.11g and 802.11b devices)

As I am totally unfamiliar with anything linux I have come to a stand still.

Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

*UPDATE*
Removed Network Manager and WiFi Radar, installed WicD, signal strength is showing 67%, when I click connect the little bar goes back and forth, then nothing
Is this a problem with my network or is this a problem with the drivers?
I have to boot into Windows in order to go online (no access to ethernet) to view these forums or download files
I'm going to start the process over with modern drivers, I was before using the ones in the system32/drivers/ directory of WINDOWS

-Noah

*EDIT* Using BCM4318 (I know it said this tutorial probably wouldnt work for this card, but it did "improve")
*EDIT* Running Ubuntu 7.1 (gutsy gibbon??) on HP Pavilion ze2000 notebook

*UPDATE*
Well, I give up. I don't see how everyone can justify saying linux is better than Windows. I've never run into any problems like this with Windows before, and you don't have to have an IQ of 1000 to operate it. So for now, bye bye linux. Welcome back XP.

tyrell_turing
February 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
Worked like a charm for me. Thanks! However, FYI, the first link to the wl_apsta.o file appears to be dead.

eagle-eye
February 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I have just installed Gutsy on my Dell Inspiron 6400.

Wireless works out of the box when I'm using Gnome. Unfortunately I'm having problems when I use KDE. The KWifiManager can see my router (and my neighbour's) but won't connect.

I've been searching around for why this is different under KDE but haven't found anythiing.

Grateful for any help and I apologise if I've missed something obvious.

eagle-eye
February 5th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Problem solved. Just had to install knetworkmanager in KDE.

iulian
February 10th, 2008, 02:27 AM
HI, I'm using a Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu gutsy newly installed. I have problems using my wireless. I can see wifi newtworks in range but can't connect to any. Using an HP6720s from with Ubuntu gutsy it works, so my AP is working correctly.

Any Idea?
I use also wifi-radar but with no success.

02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

My AP supports only 802.11g.

Edit:
As I see in the top bar, right corner, my laptop is not sending any data. I say this because no circle becomes green.

biloxibeachboy
February 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM
The link to the bordlink.googlepages.com is no longer a valid link. I've tried to install according to the instructions here but it keeps telling me that the link is not a valid link and exits with an error showing the above link as the problem. I didn't try to tell it to use that link either so it's in the installer somewhere.

obform
February 14th, 2008, 11:12 PM
After I installed Gutsy dual-boot on my Dell Latitude 610 with the Broadcom 4318 card, like many others, I couldn't connect to wireless.

After struggling, I found https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Gutsy and followed the offline instructions so that the Restricted Driver Manager now shows Broadcom firmware in use.

Then I got Wifi Radar and installed it. I could see all the networks in the neighborhood with it and with iwconfig.

I told Wifi Radar to connect to my wireless network SSID, and it said it did.

I couldn't ping either the router or Yahoo. Then I noticed on the first page that

Remember that you can use network-admin or network-manager, but not both! You have to set your card to roaming mode in network-admin to use network-manager, if you have already configured it in network-admin.

I went to a terminal and did man network-admin, then sudo network-admin -c, which got me a configuration box that looked just like the network manager dialog. When I checked enable roaming, my whole system froze, including the mouse. After I shut it down and restarted, things seemed as they were before I messed with network-admin.

I uninstalled Wifi-radar, which didn't seem to be helping.

/sbin/iwconfig reports that eth1 is my wireless network.

sudo dhclient eth1 reports "DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67" four times with different intervals, then "No DHCP offers received. No working leases in persistent database - sleeping"

I'm doing this with occasional e-mail help from a son who is ahead of me, but he's contributed a lot of time, and I wonder if anybody recognizes this situation.

Thanks,
--obform

kathryn
February 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Hello everyone,

Tonight I installed Gutsy as a dual-boot onto my Vista laptop. The first (and only) problem thus far under Gutsy has been wireless internet. Specifically, using a Broadcom 4311 wireless card in a Compaq Presario laptop.

I started with this How-to, and unexpectedly found that the solution for me was quite simple.

- Run Synaptic package manager
- Find bcm43xx-fwcutter (as instructed in the how-to)
- Install bcm43xx-fwcutter
- When it is nearly finished it offers a check box, asking whether you want it to "fetch and extract the firmware"
- I ticked this box and proceeded. The firmware was fetched from a remote location, since I did not direct it to any file
- The wireless connections available in my neighborhood appeared
- I connected to my own network successfully but the connection dropped out every time

but

- Reboot seemed to fix it

Hooray! Hope this helps other Gutsy users. :)

ind
February 29th, 2008, 01:40 AM
A BIG THANK YOU!!

This worked for me, I was using a Dell 1100 with a Linksys Wireless Card of WPC54G (ver 1.2) Broadcom (BCM4306).

The only problem I encountered was I couldn't get the WPA TKIP to work and had to switch to WEP 128bit hex. Odd...

Preetam
February 29th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Hello All,

I have tried all the steps mentioned in the link

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185174

to get XMicro Wifi USB Dongle to work on Dell Laptop E1405 running ubuntu 6.06

After installation of drivers and doing ndiswrapper -l it shows bcmwl5 installed but no presence of wlan device. I have pluged in USB (Wifi)
and done modprobe ndiswrapper as well . Also tried the fwcutter way!

Still the device led doesnt glow :(

tvdirector
March 10th, 2008, 03:03 AM
So this solution was posted in april 2006.
Earlier I tried to turn to Fedora 4. But I could not get the wireless card working. (Maybe because I thought the card had a Sweex chipset but Sweex was "just" the vendor). I spent 2 weeks figuring things out. Alas, the wireless card did not work, back in 2004.
Just recently I discovered on the Ubuntu forums that I had the BCM4306.(This revelation took my a week)
But then, many forums could not give me a chronicle and clear solution. Then I found out the base article. (Took me an other week).
But within some hours I had my wireless card running well.

March 2008

Phil1954
March 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Thank you for this excellent tutorial, which resulted in my BT 1060 firing up in xubuntu and me happily using our college wireless network. My first work with xubuntu Terminal and installing drivers/firmware in xubuntu linux.

I am exceedingly obliged.

phil

Phil1954
March 11th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Brilliant tutorial - thank you so much.

phil

w8tah
March 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
any news or updates to this thread for the upcomming hardy heron release?

TIM

dahoiv
March 25th, 2008, 01:19 PM
any news or updates to this thread for the upcomming hardy heron release?

TIM

I got it work with the latest beta version.

First i followed this guide:

Hello everyone,

Tonight I installed Gutsy as a dual-boot onto my Vista laptop. The first (and only) problem thus far under Gutsy has been wireless internet. Specifically, using a Broadcom 4311 wireless card in a Compaq Presario laptop.

I started with this How-to, and unexpectedly found that the solution for me was quite simple.

- When it is nearly finished it offers a check box, asking whether you want it to "fetch and extract the firmware"
- I ticked this box and proceeded. The firmware was fetched from a remote location, since I did not direct it to any file
- I connected to my own network successfully but the connection dropped out every time

but

And then I enabled the driver:
System >> Administration >> Hardware drivers >> enable the wireless driver.

Hughmoris
March 25th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Hello everyone,

but

I too started this HOW-TO but stopped at the same point as Kathryn, after fetching and extracting the firmware. I rebooted my computer, found my SSID and connected no problem.

Thanks for the help!

matiasargentina
April 20th, 2008, 04:51 PM
----------------------------------------------------
people seem to be having trouble getting this specific card: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) working using this guide, take a look at this post for help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1084114&postcount=43
or
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1105667&postcount=218 if your looking to Ndis instead

I couldn't make it, must be cause I have controller revision 02. I followed the link for ndiswrapper and it works! Thank you for sharing your experiences.

TorqueMaster
April 20th, 2008, 11:19 PM
This is a great tutorial and I got it to work for me (finally). I would like to emphasize that the wl_apsta.o link on the first page is very out of date. Just to update the tail end of this thread, a current link is:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o

Thanks for the help!

Estesark
April 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
It didn't work for me, the wireless network/card doesn't show up in the network manager. 'modprobe bcm43xx' gives no output. Any ideas?

My card is a Buffalo AirStation G54, and I'm running Gutsy.

tobydeemer
April 22nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
Hi all-

I did an upgrade last night to 8.04 and it broke the broadcom for me. I followed this post also:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1084114&postcount=43
And all I had to do was comment out the bcm-xx line and restart, and my wireless capabilities were restored. I didn't have to add any lines however.

Hector40
April 25th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I just installed 8.04 for the first time. Previously I had Fedora and I had gotten the wirless to work with a similar process.

Unfortunately after following the steps in this process I can't get the wireless to work. I have an Inspiron 5100 with the BCM4306 wireless card.

I have also removed BCM43xx from the blacklist file. I also used the latest version of the driver, wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o

The iwconfig command gives me the follwing...

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2346 B

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.

ranran
April 30th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Hello everyone,

but

Kathryn, Kudos to you!

All I had to do was go to Synaptic and download the bcm43xxx cutter (the one with the ubuntu logo next to it).

I let it extract the firmware, download, and voila! my wireless network is accessible.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 8600c with the Dell wireless card.

EXCELLENT and THANKYOU! :) :) :)

gabetz08
July 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM
nickm i dont know if you are still checking t06:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4303 802.11b Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
his post but i followed your directions and i can now see the wireless networks that are around but i am not able to connect to them at all, no matter what the encryption is. this is my wire less card info 06:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4303 802.11b Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02). i used the driver from my windows cd because the website was down. any suggestions what i can do to get my card to connect to the wifi

pfeifdog
July 22nd, 2008, 02:52 AM
This was incredibly helpful -- thanks so much!

However, I'm experiencing a weird glitch. The wireless card doesn't activate when I start up the computer, or when I insert the card after the first start. The only way I've found to get it working is to put the computer on "Hibernate" and then revive it. After that, I'm good to go (11mb/s on a G-router) until I shutdown again.

This isn't a big deal, but can anyone explain why it happens or how to make it work right on startup?

I'm running Hardy, fully updated.

ashleycurtis
July 25th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Nice tutorial. Thanks a lot! It worked for me.

midwinter_
September 13th, 2008, 07:57 AM
i can now see the wireless networks that are around but i am not able to connect to them at all, no matter what the encryption is.

I'm having the same problem. I got it working at one point but then had to re-install, so I know that it *can* work. But right now, I can see my network but can't join it.

Any ideas?

the_genrl
October 5th, 2008, 05:05 AM
nickm...i love you. right when im about to turn my back on ubuntu and the linux community, you shine light on the power of community by solving my half year long battle with this problem.

thanks again sir!

06:00.0 Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)

on ubuntu 8.04

hoxi
October 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Dont know if it matter but ,in my folder i found BCMWL6.SYS in stead of BCMWL5.SYS soooo.... if anyone needs that ... go here :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?lncz3zlz5z9

DapKo
November 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.omattos.com/broadcom/

"Extract the contents of the zip file into /lib/firmware/ - thats all there is to it, the rest should "just work". Fwcutter is NOT required to use this - these files have already been extracted."

dranick
November 7th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hello and thank you for the tutorial.

I have everything in place but the wireless NIC gets turned off as soon as GDM starts (the wireless led is turned on during system boot but it turns off when the graphical interface loads).

I can see all the available wireless networks in range but I can't connect to my wireless network (I guess it has to do to the wireless network card being turned off).

Please help.

Thank you,

Nick

***Later edit***

System info: Asus A7D with a BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller wireless network card.

on a lshw -C network command I have the following output:

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 3
bus info: pci@0000:03:03.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 02
serial: 00:17:31:2f:fd:02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+bcmwl5 driverversion=1.53+Broadcom,10/12/2006, 4.100. latency=64 link=no module=ndiswrapper multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

The dmesg shows:

b43-phy0: Broadcom 4318 WLAN found
Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PLR, Firmware-ID: FW13 ]
[ 19.980175] b43-pci-bridge 0000:03:03.0: PCI INT A disabled
[ 20.099614] ndiswrapper version 1.53 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
[ 20.226737] ndiswrapper (link_pe_images:575): fixing KI_USER_SHARED_DATA address in the driver
[ 20.229543] ndiswrapper: driver bcmwl5 (Broadcom,10/12/2006, 4.100.15.5) loaded
[ 20.229931] ndiswrapper 0000:03:03.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
[ 20.238699] ndiswrapper: using IRQ 22
[ 20.598753] wlan0: ethernet device 00:17:31:2f:fd:02 using NDIS driver: bcmwl5, version: 0x4640f05, NDIS version: 0x501, vendor: 'NDIS Network Adapter', 14E4:4318.5.conf
[ 20.598814] wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK

but yet my wireless card remains turned off (the wireless ledd is off even though the bluetooth one is lit).

I will appreciate any help you can provide on this matter as I really can't use the system without a working wireless card.

Thank you in advance!

trescott3
November 12th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I got my BCM94311 wireless card working on an HP DV6000 laptop using the guide here:

http://trentscott.org/?p=1

Greg F
December 19th, 2008, 05:52 AM
http://www.omattos.com/broadcom/

"Extract the contents of the zip file into /lib/firmware/ - thats all there is to it, the rest should "just work". Fwcutter is NOT required to use this - these files have already been extracted."

This solved the problem with my wireless card. It was as easy as it sounds.

venkatesh_b87
January 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM
hi everybody, i am trying out the procedure specified here. but i did not understand the 4th point. what is that extracting firmware??? from which setup file??

rickfisher
April 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM
More up to date info as of 2009-04-10

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

krstofer
May 9th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Hey Guys, Sorry if this was addressed, but I can't seem to find the answer in this thread.

I am pretty new to linux (ubuntu). I am getting the error message, "Can't find package bmc43xx-fwcutter"

I think I enabled the repositories right, but I am including a screen shot, just in case.

Right now I am using a USB d-link device which worked upon install, however I have the built in broadcom 4306 that I want to use instead.

I have an HP dv1000 laptop. I included the screenshot of the repository.

krstofer
May 9th, 2009, 10:31 PM
More up to date info as of 2009-04-10

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Nevermind, I was able to get it working using this link. Maybe this should be added to the OP.

Thanks guys!!!

bulgedeyes
May 23rd, 2009, 12:54 AM
First of all, thanks to all the posts on these forums I'm posting from a wireless connection, and I have a Broadcom 4318 "AirForce One 54g".

Here's how I did it, maybe it'll help someone. You don't even need an internet connection.

The drivers I used are attached to the message. To follow this guide to a T downlad them and place in a folder bcm43xx on your desktop.

I've tried the procedure in this HowTo several times, on different versions of Dapper, with different drivers and it would never work. I had to use ndiswrapper to get it working.

I'm running Ubuntu i386 Dapper, Turion 64, ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M.

1) Blacklist bcm43xx driver
Open a Terminal window
Type "sudo gedit etc/modprobe.d/blacklist"
At the bottom add the lines
# get rid of the default kernel drivers
blacklist bcm43xx

2) Make sure network interfaces file is correct
Type "sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces"
Remove all comments ('#') that you see so that all devices arehandled by the default network manager.
I would reboot here and make sure the wireless light goes out

3) Install ndiswrapper
Put in Ubuntu CD. Open Synaptic Package Manager (ClickSystem -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager),search for ndiswrapper-utils, and install it.You could also type "sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils

4) Conigure ndiswrapper
Open termianl and navigate the folder where your drivers are."cd Desktop/bcm43xx"
Type "sudo ndiswrapper -i oem3.inf"Then type "sudo ndiswrapper -m"
Type "sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper"Change the one line in that file to read "alias eth1 ndiswrapper"

Now you should reboot so all the drivers load.

Once you reboot the wireless light on your laptop should be lit. If it worked, you should be able to click the Network Manager icon in the top right. It will probably show a disconnected ennection becuase the computer is not plugged in.
Left click it and select eth1 from the drop down menu.
Click Configure
Click Wireless Connection, then Properties. Here just enter your network information. If you're using an unprotected network you should only have to type yout SSID.

Click OK and you should now be connected! If a green signal meter and connected network icon appear in the upper right you'll know it worked.

Hope this helps!

I know I'm VERY late to the party and everything, but, dude, you effin ROCK! After three days, no clear answer, this solution, which I thought would be as fruitless as the countless others, solved my problem.

jeb800e
August 3rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Whenever I try this method, the thing that only comes up is my 56k Modem. Will this work with my Belkin Wireless-G Desktop Card? Am I able to safely and successfully install the Belkin Wireless-G Desktop Card under Wine?

cicero33333
May 18th, 2010, 04:28 AM
When I try to ectract the firmware from the driver, it says

adam@adam-laptop:~$ sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
sudo: bcm43xx-fwcutter: command not found

Any suggestions? Any and all help would be much appreciated. I'm new to this!

theboss9999
August 3rd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hi i have Broadcom BCM4312 wifi card, everything was fine until 4-th step when i have to extract the firmware
this is what i get :
root@ubuntu:~# sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/home/a123/broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4/linux/wl_apsta.o
Cannot open input file /home/a123/home/a123/broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4/linux/wl_apsta.o
can somebody tell me what can cause this message? how do i solve this

coolsnowmen
September 9th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hi i have Broadcom BCM4312 wifi card, everything was fine until 4-th step when i have to extract the firmware
this is what i get :
root@ubuntu:~# sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/home/a123/broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4/linux/wl_apsta.o
Cannot open input file /home/a123/home/a123/broadcom-wl-4.178.10.4/linux/wl_apsta.o
can somebody tell me what can cause this message? how do i solve this
The message means that the file you are looking for probably doesn't exist.

Where did you put wl_apsta.o ? My guess is that you don't know what the ~ means or you mistyped it. (http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#Tilde-Expansion)

stafio
September 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Good news everyone! Broadcom has open sourced their wireless drivers (http://www.osnews.com/story/23786/BREAKING_BROADCOM_OPEN_SOURCES_WIRELESS_DRIVERS).

WarrenSH
August 24th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I'm having the same issues and I did the below...

If it works fine if you issue the command, then it's healthy. Let's automate it:
sudo su
echo b43 >> /etc/modules
exitReboot, without the ethernet cable, and let us know how the wireless is working.

After the restart it still did not work for me.

I did this in the terminal lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation and this is the outcome

Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

RavanH
October 26th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I'm having the same issues and I did the below...

After the restart it still did not work for me.

I did this in the terminal lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation and this is the outcome

Simply do
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer in a terminal window :)