PDA

View Full Version : How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

tuxy
September 17th, 2006, 03:40 AM
A very good post on Broadcom Wireless cards. It worked like a charm for me.
Great work Nickm.

jpeterse
September 17th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Thanks for putting this update out here.
I've worked for most of a day and couldn't figure out why I could not connect to the AP.

This solution should clearly be listed in the howto post.

I had to make one change though. IfUP would not read the Interfaces file unless I moved the auto eth1 line above the definition of the interface.

I did have a complete system lock-up after running the script manually. I hope it's not a sign of instability of the driver.

Thanks for your assistance.
Jan Petersen

I have a linksys bcm card, I had no trouble getting it to work with native bcm drivers WITHOUT encryption, but who wants to run an open network?

Here's my solution to getting it working on bootup with encryption:

Put this in a file called: /usr/local/bin/bcm43xx

and then this fragment in my /etc/network/interfaces

If I specify the essids and keys in my network interfaces it doesn't work
If I try to associate with the essid/AP with encryption on, it always fails, hence the script makes sure it is turned off.
So then I set the essid, wait, and then I set the key and I have to say "restricted"

A most telling message in dmesg or /var/log/messages is one like this:

Jun 2 20:56:23 localhost kernel: [4295485.996000] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth1: link becomes ready

the magic "link becomes ready" means essid and encryption all working fine.

nullmind
September 17th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I have the AirForce rev 2 bcm4318 and this guide worked for me (I did black list ndiswrapper) A few things to note are:

Signal strength is invalid
The connection can flake out sometimes, happens often in public areas with a lot of signals (coffee shop)
When coming out of hibernation

Fiddling with the mod (reloading it, etc.) fixes most of these issues. Works great with my encrypted network and wpasupplicant.

lstomberg
September 17th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Thank god there is someone out there who likes me :)... I have had alot of problems with my wireless and linux. I have always heard of ubuntu and decided to give it a go. Found out right away that it recognizes that I have a wireless card but it wouldn't connect. I went online on ethernet and found your site right away. Went through and when you said to type in the command to tell me what kind of wireless card I had I trembeled because I have the one that people say DOES NOT work :(... well i continued on and in the end everything works perfectly! Thank you sooo much for your help i really appreciate it.

cyklonmetal
September 17th, 2006, 10:57 PM
hi there, new to ubuntu but fooled around with mandrake and suse a few years back before i was lured back to the dark side. anyway, my problem is how to install the bcm43xx package i downloaded from berlios.de. i cant download using the synaptic manager cause im not conneted to the internet. i can only connect using t-mobile hotspots so i think i have a chicken and egg problem. i've already downloaded it using a different pc and copied the files to my desktop but cant figure out how to install it.

any help would be appreciated. thanks...

gtkourounis
September 17th, 2006, 11:02 PM
This is an incredible post i have to say. thanx a lot, but the problem with me is that i have the cused broadcom 4318. I have tried EVERYTHING and it never works. I am not going to ask how this is going to work out for me because i know that there is no possible way for that to happen. All i want to ask is what other card should i buy? I guess i am going to have to buy a WiFi card to get WiFi on my laptop. So if you could please give me a tip on what card i should go and buy (the ones that you can insert in the WiFi card socket that every laptop has) and that would work with ubuntu, that would be more then thankfull.

Thanx in advance

PS: I have a Acer 5002WLMi

Andrew Borem
September 18th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Okay.

Ubuntu 6.06
Dell Truemobile 1300
Broadcom 4603 (I think)

Followed the guide in the first post to the letter. The light on my wireless card turned on like it does on windows. But it still doesn't work. I don't UNDERSTAND. :D My network manager does not show a wireless signal at all. I am three feet from my router. So yes.

I am wired as well, so it is okay. I have also tried setting up a static IP and junk.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

tva88
September 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM
tnx u!!! :D i have tryd to fix my WLAN al night long... this is the only guide that has workt whit my BCM4318 card.... :wink: works only whit gde, not kde... or do some1 have a smart solution to that? :-k

kimo818
September 18th, 2006, 11:51 PM
d

jorgenbear
September 19th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Did all the steps, but when I type in:

sudo modprobe bcm4306

it gives me this error:

FATAL: Error inserting bcm43xx (/lib/modules/2.6.15-27-386/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Any suggestions for what's wrong?

Jorgen

Andrew Borem
September 19th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Hah! All I needed to do was reboot. I am one happy customer now. Thanks, dude!

pauljwells
September 19th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Worked for me on an Apple Powerbook, but not with Network-Manager. I had to install wifi-radar, which works fine!

Kudos

samssf
September 20th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Didn't work.

I had all the prereqs and have the linksys wmp64gs v1.1 broadcom 4306 chipset.

On step 4 you ask us to type "sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o"

Where is the .o file??? The file you provided for download contains a .sys, not a .o

I used the .sys file and that seemed to work for that step, but I have no idea.

Also, you said /lib/firmware. Do you mean replace the word firmware with my firmware version? Cause if so, that isnt obvious at all... especially for someone new to linux. Another post mentioned to do that.

jubilee33
September 20th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Ubuntu Dapper 6.06
kernel: 2.5.16-27-686-smp
Broadcom BCM4311 UART (rev01)

Thanks a lot for the howto. It worked like a charm. I didn't even have to use the network manager applet. I just did System --> Administration --> Networking and the wireless connection just worked.

nullmind
September 20th, 2006, 04:37 PM
hi there, new to ubuntu but fooled around with mandrake and suse a few years back before i was lured back to the dark side. anyway, my problem is how to install the bcm43xx package i downloaded from berlios.de. i cant download using the synaptic manager cause im not conneted to the internet. i can only connect using t-mobile hotspots so i think i have a chicken and egg problem. i've already downloaded it using a different pc and copied the files to my desktop but cant figure out how to install it.

any help would be appreciated. thanks...

If you downloaded the .deb then you would do something like this:

sudo -s
dpkg -i <name of file.deb>

You might even get away with just using the graphical dpkg manager when you open it from the desktop environment. If it's a tarball (.tar/.tar.gz) you will have to untar it (you can use the Archive Manager) and the read the INSTALL file inside, but chances are you will only have to do this:

sudo -s
./configure
make
make install

musicatplay
September 23rd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Excellent work! This worked flawlessly on my Compaq Presario r4225ca! I've struggled on many occasions to follow instructions elsewhere but you did a fantastic job of making it painless for a newbie to the linux world.

You have brought me one step closer to getting rid of M$... :D

Thank you,
musicatplay

Jahflames
September 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
thank to you my wireless is running fast than ever im a newbie to the linux world and loving it thanks alot

gooseneck
September 24th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks for such a great How To! It got my wireless connection working right away!

yo2k4yo
September 24th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks a lot nickm, for wrting such a wonderful guide. I was about to give up and move to knoppix, but you made it easy and quick to stay in ubuntu.

0000:03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Linksys WPC54GS
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 64
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
Region 0: Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Capabilities: <available only to root>
00: e4 14 20 43 06 00 10 00 03 00 80 02 00 40 00 00
10: 00 00 00 f6 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 81 10 00 00 37 17 20 43
30: 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0b 01 00 00

susancragin
September 25th, 2006, 12:14 AM
:( Didn't work for me.
Acer Ferrari AMD64 Broadcom BCM4318 AirForce One 54g
bcmwl5.sys
Installs fine. PCMCIA card lights up real nice, lights flicker with activity.
Wireless assistant recognizes my wireless and a couple of other networks within range.
Try to activate, but nothing works.
Susan Cragin:confused:

devoinregress
September 25th, 2006, 02:45 AM
It worked great! I had to install WPA support.

Big problem though. Wireless is not working in Windows...
Is their any way to get WIFI working in both OS's?

Sokraates
September 25th, 2006, 07:00 AM
:( Didn't work for me.
Acer Ferrari AMD64 Broadcom BCM4318 AirForce One 54g
bcmwl5.sys
Installs fine. PCMCIA card lights up real nice, lights flicker with activity.
Wireless assistant recognizes my wireless and a couple of other networks within range.
Try to activate, but nothing works.
Susan Cragin:confused:

bcm4318 is a chore to setup. Try this guide, it worked for me:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=197102

It worked great! I had to install WPA support.

Big problem though. Wireless is not working in Windows...
Is their any way to get WIFI working in both OS's?

The last time this happened to me, the card was simply deactivated in Win. Take a look at the Systemsettings (uhm ... no, thats KDE, well you propably know what I'm talking about) under Network Connections. Also take a look at whatever other app manages the card (on a laptop usually a tool from the laptop-manufacturer). It can also be used to deactivate the card.

If nothing works, simply reinstall the drivers (a crazy idea: you didn't accidentally remove them, did you?).

Fumbling with the card and its driver in Linux has no effect on its performance in Win or any other OS. So the reason must be with Win.

kikos
September 25th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I followed your HOWTO but it didn't work for me with my BCM 4309. However, after I added "ndiswrapper" to /etc/modules and rebooted, it works fine.

matchman
September 27th, 2006, 12:08 AM
BCM 4318 in a Gateway MX6440
I had no luck with ndswrapper
I kinda had luck with this guide. Everything worked great first boot. Next boot the wireless conection was no longer there and my LAN quit working. Wiconfig seen my router and all looked good.
The Network tool that is included in Ubuntu indicated all is good on both devices.
Bottom line is the Network tool that you are instructed to download "and use" must be the the only one controling the networks!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

#iface eth1 inet dhcp

#auto eth2
#iface eth2 inet dhcp

#auto ath0
#iface ath0 inet dhcp

#auto wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp

smock9
September 28th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I'm dual booting a company-issued Dell D620. lspci says:
0000:0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 01)

Everything worked according to the instructions. Was unable to extract the firmware from the Windows .sys file, but the wl_apsta.o extraction worked as advertised.

My network showed up in the applet when rebooted, and I entered the WEP key, and connected at 11 Mb/s (it's a "g" network, so I had expected 54Mb/s, but hey, I'm not picky)

Thank you!

Peter

I have the exact same machine with the same hardware.
I followed the HOWTO and was able to see my wireless network listed. When I attempt to connect with my WEP key it takes a while "thinking" and then sometimes works and other times just keeps asking me for the key. Either way in a few moments the whole system freezes. No response from mouse or keyboard. Yes, I locked up a linux box...

Anybody run into this? It seems like the described series of commands comes close to working considering it actually begins to communicate with the router. What would cause the whole system to freeze like that?

Thanks,

Jon

Icoo
September 30th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I have a HP NX7400 with a Broadcom 4311 chip and it didn't worked for me? I did all the steps! Help?

statikeffeck
September 30th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the nice guide. I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptop with the bcm4306 chipset and I had to troubleshoot this for a while. I found that using Ubuntu's built-in System->Administration->Networking control panel will fudge up your wireless configuration.

I'm going to repeat & add to what another user posted which is what really helped me get this going (I can't find the original post so I forget who it was).

If you've been fiddling around trying to get it to work and you want to start over, do this:

1. Remove bcm43xx-fwcutter package (Use the Synaptics Package manager and search for bcm43, right click and remove completely, then apply).
2. Remove Network-Manager and Gnome-network-manager, again with the synaptics package manager.
3. Delete all the files that begin with bcm43 in your /lib/firmware directory, then browse in the 2.6.whatever folders under /lib/firmware and delete bcm43* files also.

cd /lib/firmware
sudo rm bcm43*
(this basically undoes the steps when your run fwcutter.)
4. At this point it might be a good idea to use the Ubuntu Software updater utility (because if you update later, you might have to repeat these steps to get wireless working again).
5. Comment out (using #) or delete all the lines in the text file: /etc/network/interfaces except the lines for loopback (lo).

sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
That will pop open an editor so you can delete the unnecessary lines and save it.
The file should only have:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
in it.
6. Restart the computer and you should be able to start fresh with the guide.

It works fine now, but it seems after booting up I have to manually click the network manager icon to connect to my network. I want to figure out a way that it will auto connect to a network of my preference.

mn_kthompson
October 2nd, 2006, 10:46 PM
This worked on my Dell Latitude D800 Laptop running Edgy Knot 3 with a Broadcom BCM4309. I followed the instructions but it didn't work. However, after I set my package manager to get updates from the Universe I downloaded a bunch of stuff and rebooted. Then it worked. Thanks for the great HOWTO

alecjw
October 3rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
This worked on my Dell Latitude D800 Laptop running Edgy Knot 3 with a Broadcom BCM4309. I followed the instructions but it didn't work. However, after I set my package manager to get updates from the Universe I downloaded a bunch of stuff and rebooted. Then it worked. Thanks for the great HOWTO

What bunch of stuff???

alecjw
October 3rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
Didn't work.

I had all the prereqs and have the linksys wmp64gs v1.1 broadcom 4306 chipset.

On step 4 you ask us to type "sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o"

Where is the .o file??? The file you provided for download contains a .sys, not a .o

I used the .sys file and that seemed to work for that step, but I have no idea.

Also, you said /lib/firmware. Do you mean replace the word firmware with my firmware version? Cause if so, that isnt obvious at all... especially for someone new to linux. Another post mentioned to do that.

Read the first post. There is a link to wl_apasta.o.

alecjw
October 3rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH!
I've got an internet connection in ubuntu now!!!

wanger123
October 4th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Thanks to everyone in this thread and community. I have recently been forced to switch from Linux to OSX for my main program at work so I was kinda bummed. But then I found dapper ppc version and I now dual boot with OSX. This was a huge issue not having wireless working in kubuntu.

But NOW IT DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEE HAA!!!

thanks to all

ps I have the BCM4306 card

wanger

drscatris2004
October 7th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I have got Acer Aspire 5024wlmi notebook... and using edgy beta 2.6.17.10.386 kernel
try this post bcm4318 rev2 card this afternoon...
result:
Acer-acpi working good.!
Network blinking good!
Clearing network/interfaces.. network manager is good working.. but not wifi radar only editing and addinng wifi working
Im using wpa2 tkip key but not correctly working ... only un encryptic rule is working.
cat5 cable networking not good working ip adress and gateway is not correct myway its not working.
only editing network interfaces correct static ip address and gateway then after cable network working..
general results:
few modules is good.. windows based wpa and wep is good.if is good working
but not correct ip address and gateway is bad. only manual editing..

Sgood1971
October 10th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Thanks, after hours and hours of trying everything else I got my Dell Inspiron E1405 with a broadcom 4311 working. Thanks again.

lyceum
October 11th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Okay, first, thank you to everyone who worked so hard to put this thread together. I finally see the blue light of hope on my laptop. I am having few problems, & am hoping someone can help.

The card does seem to be working, but I do not see it in my network connections options. I typed in eth1 and it created a new icon, eth1, and it is WiFi, but I cannot access the net. It says the eth1 is disabled. I went to Networking and typed enabled the card by typing in my 2WIRE router and hex ID. This seemed to turn the WiFi on, but it still says disabled. I did re-start, no help there. My wife told me that the people at AT&T told her that 2WIRE would not work with Linux, but we thought they were talking about their card, not the router. If you know any thing then, HELP! PLEASE! I know nothing about networking, and though this has been a great learning tool, I have been at this for over a week now. Any help would be great. Thanks.

michaels
October 11th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Thank you guy! Great job!

bfitzsimons
October 11th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I am a totally frustrated newbie ...

My hardware is:
Apple iMac with 1GHz PowerPC G4 and 768 MB DDR SDRAM using dual boot: MacOSX 10.2.8 and Ubuntu 6.06 LTS;
Apple Airport Extreme Base Station using Controller Broadcom BCB4306;

I have wireless connection under the MacOS boot but not under the Ubuntu boot. I have downloaded onto another office iMac various files and folders, burned them at slow speed to a CD, and copied to the Ubuntu desktop. In Terminal, the following commands give the results ( -> ) noted:
$ lspci | grep Broadcom -> 0001:10:12.0 Net controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller ( rev 02)

$ ls Desktop -> bcm43xx-20060125 [this is a folder], bcm43xx-fwcutterorig [this is a folder], bcm43xx-fwcutter-005 [this is folder], bcmwls.sys [this is a file], wl_apsta.0 [this is a file]

$sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter ->
Reading package lists ... Done
Building dependency tree ... Done
E: Couldn't find package bcm43xx-fwcutter

The above was tried with and without the Desktop/... path included - all give the same result. I have tried other tests noted in other threads and always end up with:

$ iwconfig ->
lo no wireless extension
eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID: "BEINetwork" Nickname: "Broadcom 4306"
Mode: Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: Invalid
Bit Rate: 1 Mb/s
RTS thr: off Fragment thr: off
Link Quality:0 Signal Level:0 Noise Level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid cypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
eth0 no wireless extension
sit0 no wireless extension

Very stupidly I ask: how do I install - step by painful step - bcm43xx-fwcutter ?

bfitzsimons
October 12th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Follow up on my initial Post #537:

In another Thread I followed a reference to: http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/install...ckage_manually
and at Terminal entered the following commands with the results (->) as shown:
$ cd Desktop/bcm43xx-fwcutter-005
$ ls -> results in a list of files in that folder = bcm43xx-fwcutter.1, fwcutter.c, fwcutter.h, fwcutter_list.h, md5.c, md5.h, makefile, readme, and another folder svn which has more files in it.
$ ./configure -> no such file or directory
$ make -> command not found ... at this point, I even tried $ ./makefile -> command not found

What do I do now ... ??

lyceum
October 12th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Updateing from above, I canot get into my home network, but I took my laptop to school and I could see the wireless rout. However, when I tried to conect to it, my card was not enabled. So it works, but is not enabled? I clicked on the enable box, but it still did not enable. Does this make sense to anyone? My laptop ended up freazing up on me. I think I am ready to open my laptop and replace the wifi with a better driver, one that is Linux compatable out of the box. ](*,)

In case anyone has any advice, I am using a 4311. Was I suppose to change the 43xx to 4311? and Netware maneger made things worse for me. I couldn't find the network until I shut it off.

boogyman
October 14th, 2006, 02:18 AM
When I tried the
{sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o}
I got in reply
{Sorry, the input file is either wrong or not supported by fwcutter.
I can't find the MD5sum 0a0db830f28c54f6266043b063cec272 :( }
Do you know why this is?

stixdannov
October 14th, 2006, 04:08 AM
it seems that after following every step my wireless device has disappeared from the network settings menu. I have no idea what to do as i'm installing linux for the first time.

shortstack
October 15th, 2006, 12:34 AM
you are my hero. i tried everything under the sun to get my wireless working and about 70 different websites and forums. i love you. \\:D/

sbentzen
October 15th, 2006, 03:36 PM
ok, just wondering, does this guide work for airport extreme, cause i am running an ibook g4, and would like to dual boot, though i really wonder if this works, i have a wep network aswell.

dan828
October 17th, 2006, 10:05 AM
OK, after trying everything under the sun, since I first tried Hoary, I finally got it working with your method on my HP ZD7000 running Edgy now. Kudos to you.

jrz
October 17th, 2006, 04:28 PM
When I tried the
{sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o}
I got in reply
{Sorry, the input file is either wrong or not supported by fwcutter.
I can't find the MD5sum 0a0db830f28c54f6266043b063cec272 :( }
Do you know why this is?

A friend and I spent the day trying to get his wireless working and encountered the same thing. What we seem to have found was that by re-downloading the file several times we encountered the same error 3 times, each time displaying a different MD5sum, which led me to believe the file was being corrupted in transit and on the 4th try it was OK. So you may have to do the same thing, download the file again and use it and notice if it fails, does it display a different MD5sum, and if so you have just received another corrupted copy and must download again until you get a good copy. We were using Firefox to download with and I don't believe it checks what it downloads to assure the file is not corrupt.

jrz
October 17th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Using a Compaq Presario V3042AU, AMD64 X2, Ubuntu 6.06 LTS i386 version freshly installed, and a Broadcom BCM4311 wireless, we followed the instructions carefully and still are unable to use the wireless.

My first question is, should we remove anything prior to trying a new approach, and if so what is the correct procedure as we would not like to leave many useless files around that may cause future concerns.

Second, although we read somewhere in the numerous posts that it is "IMPERATIVE that you use wl_apsta.o", I am wondering if it may be worth trying the Windows drivers I downloaded from Compaqs website and opened on a Windows system? And if so would we use just the bcmwl5.sys file alone which is included in the folder created by the Compaq download or are other files from that folder necessary as well?

Primarily we do not wish to proceed further until we are certain that we are not leaving files scattered that may cause conflicts when attempting other procedures.

Last question, What commands should we use to display that the wireless is installed properly and all settings are correct? Should we be able to set an IP address unique from the one we set for the wired connection, or does it use the same IP address to connect to the router?

The 'How to' is very useful, but an addition telling what to do when something doesn't work might be helpful also as once something is installed I'm not sure how to remove it, and if it doesn't work it would appear that what was installed should not be left.

Thanks

cherokee
October 17th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Using a Compaq Presario V3042AU, AMD64 X2, Ubuntu 6.06 LTS i386 version freshly installed, and a Broadcom BCM4311 wireless, we followed the instructions carefully and still are unable to use the wireless.

My first question is, should we remove anything prior to trying a new approach, and if so what is the correct procedure as we would not like to leave many useless files around that may cause future concerns.

Second, although we read somewhere in the numerous posts that it is "IMPERATIVE that you use wl_apsta.o", I am wondering if it may be worth trying the Windows drivers I downloaded from Compaqs website and opened on a Windows system? And if so would we use just the bcmwl5.sys file alone which is included in the folder created by the Compaq download or are other files from that folder necessary as well?

Primarily we do not wish to proceed further until we are certain that we are not leaving files scattered that may cause conflicts when attempting other procedures.

Last question, What commands should we use to display that the wireless is installed properly and all settings are correct? Should we be able to set an IP address unique from the one we set for the wired connection, or does it use the same IP address to connect to the router?

The 'How to' is very useful, but an addition telling what to do when something doesn't work might be helpful also as once something is installed I'm not sure how to remove it, and if it doesn't work it would appear that what was installed should not be left.

Thanks
I had the broadcom 4318 rev 02

The way it is working I have to type sudo modprobe on reboot and log in.

Thanks for the work that was put in this card. I belive it will work out of the box soon

jrz
October 18th, 2006, 02:20 PM
We had tried using modprobe as well and it didn't change any thing, so we are looking to trying some other solution, but wish to clean up every thing we have done so far first.

lyceum
October 18th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I am also using 4311, if you get yours working, please let me know how. It sounds like I have followed the same steps as you, and my card will not configure. I can see wireless networks, but I can't use them. Thank you!

I do have to say, don't install netware manager. It messed things up even more for me.

motrennoc
October 18th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Hi,
Great How to. It worked like a charm. That is up until a couple of days ago.
The (Broadcom) Dell true mobile 1300 miniPCI was working very well. It took some time to get WEP working but I finally did.

Then the wireless network tick under the network connection disappeared and it no longer "senses" the wireless connections avaiable. In network setting the Wireless connection says The network connection eth1 is active and it has the right network name and WEP key.

I tried removing (via synaptic) nm-applet and then reinstalling. But this did not help. I've tried "resetting" the DSL and wireless router. I've tried deactivating and reactivating the wireless connection as well as redoing the WEP key. I've turned the WEP protection off and it still doesn't "sense" the wireless net. I've tried to turn on/off the wireless card but there's no indication of it turning on off with fn-F2. I've run iwconfig and this is the output:
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"home" Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.484 GHz Access Point: Invalid
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0

sit0 no wireless extensions.

Anyone have any ideas?

jrz
October 19th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Something that I feel might be helpful to those of us new to Linux, would be a list of commands and their functions which relate to wireless. Not knowing exactly what to do first, second and so on, it would be nice to have a list telling what commands could be used to provide information as to whether or not the card is recognized by the system, and then a list of commands that would display information telling that everything is installed completely and properly. Additionally, when packages are installed and don't work, it would be nice to know if they should be removed and how to do that properly. I'm sometimes hesitant to try something for fear of being unable to recover if it should cause the system not to boot. We were not provided with any means of re-installing the system as it came pre-loaded with Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and would have to ship it some distance to get it re-installed. Sorry for such a big request, but if I were more certain of how to recover from mistakes I, and probably many others, would be willing to take risks. A major cause of reluctance to try Linux is often pointed out to be the learning curve, and from what I have seen, it is not due to the unavailability of information, but instead the huge abundance of information which can quickly overwhelm someone who is new to Linux. We have spent many hours googling for info and have found so much, and often so many different paths of solving the same problem that we don't know which to follow and what we should do when we find a solution doesn't solve our problem. And I must add that I want very much to eliminate my dependency on MS Windows so we are trying very hard to learn all we can about Linux.

Thanks to those who have offered suggestions to date, and we will keep plugging along until we resolve all our problems with your kind assistance.

Joe (Northern Thailand)

jrz
October 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
An afterthought question:

Are there 2 methods of installing a wireless LAN card in Ubuntu?
From what all I have been reading it appears that one method is a Linux method and the other uses something called ndiswrapper which if I understand properly, is a program which acts as a go between allowing Linux systems to communicate with a Windows driver. I therefore assume that using ndiswrapper should be a second choice solution to be used when all else fails?
An email to Broadcom led me to believe that they only produce the chip used in the wireless card and someone else produces the card and therefore they provide no direct end user support. Compaq, the producer of the notebook we are using recommends Windows OS, and should you wish to purchase a notebook to run Linux, suggest you purchase a particular model which they provide with a Linux (SUSE) OS installed. I did not notice any other name on the card to indicate who manufactures it so I don't know who else to email with questions.

mobo
October 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Good Job Nick =D>

motrennoc
October 20th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Great How to!

Bob Mikok
October 20th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Wow, this worked like a charm for me. I got tired of windows and jumped right into Linux without ever looking back. I have a Buffalo Air Station WL12-PCI-G54S PCI Adapter (which has broadcom chipset). Thank you for creating this thread!!! Now I can kick some more butt with my 26 dbi grid dish with 1w booster! :-D

lyceum
October 20th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I am impressed you got as far as you did. When I called Compact, they not only did not know what Linux was, they also thought that hardware was (I'm not kidding) really complex software.

Yes there are more than one ways to set things up. I have not been able to make either way work, but I can't use ndswrapper as my laptop was sold with no disks, and I could not find the driver at Broadcom's page. I really didn't know as much then, so I am going to look again if I can't get things to work with this method. At this point I am waiting for 6.10 to come out to try again.

An afterthought question:

Are there 2 methods of installing a wireless LAN card in Ubuntu?
From what all I have been reading it appears that one method is a Linux method and the other uses something called ndiswrapper which if I understand properly, is a program which acts as a go between allowing Linux systems to communicate with a Windows driver. I therefore assume that using ndiswrapper should be a second choice solution to be used when all else fails?
An email to Broadcom led me to believe that they only produce the chip used in the wireless card and someone else produces the card and therefore they provide no direct end user support. Compaq, the producer of the notebook we are using recommends Windows OS, and should you wish to purchase a notebook to run Linux, suggest you purchase a particular model which they provide with a Linux (SUSE) OS installed. I did not notice any other name on the card to indicate who manufactures it so I don't know who else to email with questions.

bicchi
October 21st, 2006, 05:27 AM
I am having problems with the BCM4309 on a Dell Latitude D600 using the method listed here. I get to see my wireless network with the gnome network manager but when i try to connect to it, it just hangs for a long time and goes back to the wired connection. Gnome network manager displays the message: Waiting for Network Key for the wireless network 'Bicchi'.

I am running a linksys WRT54GL router with the DD-WRT firmware. Yes, it works from windows.
I have my router set as:
Security Mode: WPA2 Pre-Shared Key Mixed
WPA Algorithms: TKIP+AES

When i run "sudo iwlist eth1 scan" i get:

eth1 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: ** MAC ADDRESS GOES HERE **
ESSID:"Bicchi"
Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
Mode:Master
Channel:6
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Quality=100/100 Signal level=-27 dBm
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (2) : CCMP TKIP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
Pairwise Ciphers (2) : CCMP TKIP
Extra: Last beacon: 200ms ago

Running the command: "sudo dhclient eth1" gives the following:

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.4
Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth1/** MAC ADDRESS GOES HERE **
Sending on LPF/eth1/** MAC ADDRESS GOES HERE **
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 17
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 17
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 2
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

Any advice on how to fix this?

motrennoc
October 21st, 2006, 04:35 PM
bicchi,
That sounds exactly like the problem I'm having. (Dell inspiron 8500) Did yours work briefly then disappear. The first time I thought it was something I did so I reinstalled everything. Ran through this how to and it worked for about 2 days then the "enable wireless" disappeared and I get the same "waiting for network wireless key" message. If you get this figured out please post it here and I'll do the same.

bicchi
October 21st, 2006, 06:03 PM
bicchi,
That sounds exactly like the problem I'm having. (Dell inspiron 8500) Did yours work briefly then disappear. The first time I thought it was something I did so I reinstalled everything. Ran through this how to and it worked for about 2 days then the "enable wireless" disappeared and I get the same "waiting for network wireless key" message. If you get this figured out please post it here and I'll do the same.
In my case it happens to be a fresh install of Edgy RC from this week and wireless has never worked for me on Edgy. I might try to download Dapper to see if its an issue with Edgy.

I have spent 2 days trying to figure this wireless problem. Hopefully Edgy+1 will do a better job and the driver in the kernel be more mature. I am not sure where I read it but it does seem that for some earlier version of kernel 2.6.17 this card was working. After an Ubuntu upgrade some people claimed that the card was unable to connect to the wireless networks.

I think that the mayor issue in my case is that I can not optain an IP address from the wireless router. It seems to detect the wireless router but it times out when it tries to stablish the protocol.

motrennoc
October 22nd, 2006, 06:55 AM
Bicchi,
I figured it out!
So, I finally figured out why my wireless network "disappeared" from network manager.

I found this in Ubuntu Hacks by Jonathan Oxer, Kyle Rankin and Bill Childers.

In Hack #42
"NetworkManager cannot manage any cards that have entries in /etc/network/interfaces. If you've added your network card to that file, make sure you remove it before you start working with Network manager."

I removed this from the /etc/network/interfaces file

"auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
wireless-essid home"

It worked like a charm, well almost, I'm still struggling with the WEP encryption. But, the wireless networks available are listed by network manager and the "enable wireless" selection is back.

jrz
October 22nd, 2006, 06:20 PM
This is becoming very frustrating, I'm beginning to believe there is no one answer to the same problem and not sure what to do. We've tried several different procedures to try and get our wireless working, and I'm still not even sure that the card is recognized by the system. The wired LAN works, and it appears there is an entry for a modem, but I see no evidence of a wireless other than opening the cover where the card is plugged in.
If someone here has a Compaq Presario V3042AU or any 3000 series notebook and has successfully got the wireless to work we would appreciate it they would provide instructions as to what proceedures they used. I have spent days searching and reading and then trying different suggestions and none have produced any results we can view.
We really wish to stick with Linux, but it is much more difficult than Windows to get things working properly. We have a working system, but have numerous things that we would like to make easier to use, and currently the wireless is keeping us from making progress on the other items. Any help would be greatly appreciated, or should we be asking questions in another Forum??
Getting the wireless to work would be a great confidence builder.
Thanks

serlex
October 22nd, 2006, 06:37 PM
not big deal but, network manager doesnt show up for me!

i installed it and it shows up on startup programs too, but no manager by the clock, any ideas?

crimesaucer
October 22nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks for your guide.

Synikk
October 23rd, 2006, 07:58 AM
These instructions worked perfectly with my BCM4306 in my Dell Inspiron 5100 on 6.06. Thanks!

raz33th
October 23rd, 2006, 11:16 AM
If someone here has a Compaq Presario V3042AU or any 3000 series notebook and has successfully got the wireless to work we would appreciate it they would provide instructions as to what proceedures they used. I have spent days searching and reading and then trying different suggestions and none have produced any results we can view.

Hey..

I have a Compaq Presario V3029AU (AMD Turion X2). I hit this thread after installing Ubuntu Dapper (amd64) with my wired internet, followed the steps and after the reboot it worked. (I doubt whether Windows will have a smoother insallation than this. kudos nickm. a great how to.. great work bro. ty.

vagayan
October 23rd, 2006, 06:18 PM
Excellent guide. I am new to Ubuntu (but not to Linux in general) and finding this forum a great source of information.

This procedure worked for me (I have a wireless Linksys PCI Adapter WMP54GS which uses Broadcom 4306 chipset. After installing the drivers, the eth1 interface would come alive and I could scan the network, but it would not connect to my network. I was fighting with it for a couple of days. I am using WEP and my router (Linksys WRT54GS) had its Authentication Type set to Shared Key. When I changed it to Auto (I am still only allowing encrypted connections, but simply changed the Authentication Type) it started working. I verified it twice, if I change the Authentication Type back to Shared Key, Gnome Network Manager wasn't able to connect to my router. Well, it is working now, but I wonder if anyone has an explanation. My other box (Windows 2000) and a wireless laptop (IBM ThinkPad T42 with Windows XP) had no issues connecting to my network with the Shared Key setting on my router, but Ubuntu wouldn't.

hangfire
October 24th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the guide, but regretfully I must report that it not only does not work for me, it causes Ubuntu to hang soon after startup.

I reinstalled clean and immediately did this HowTo before running any updates or doing any customizations- literally the first thing I did after the machine booted up on the fresh install- same thing.

Here is a lspci:

0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705M Gigabit Ethernet (rev 01)
0000:02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g (rev 02)

Here's some log messages, unfortunately the kernel fault stack dump didn't log anywhere (that I could find).

messages:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294689.875000] eth1: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95705A50) rev 3001 PHY(5705)] (PCI:33MHz:32-bit) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:0d:56:aa:74:df
messages:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.756000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1608
messages:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.756000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1611
messages:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.757000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1651
messages:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.766000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_phy_inita() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_phy.c:577
messages:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.766000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1608
messages:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.766000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1611
messages:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.766000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1651
messages:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.766000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_set_txpower_a() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1802
messages:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.776000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
messages:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.776000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1134
messages:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294689.306000] bcm43xx driver
messages:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294689.775000] eth1: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95705A50) rev 3001 PHY(5705)] (PCI:33MHz:32-bit) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:0d:56:aa:74:df
messages:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.320000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1608
messages:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.320000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1611
messages:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.320000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1651
messages:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.329000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_phy_inita() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_phy.c:577
messages:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.329000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1608
messages:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.329000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1611
messages:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.329000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1651
messages:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.329000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_set_txpower_a() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1802
messages:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.340000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
messages:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.340000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1134
messages:Oct 24 19:06:13 irad-lt kernel: [4294689.190000] eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95705A50) rev 3001 PHY(5705)] (PCI:33MHz:32-bit) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:0d:56:aa:74:df
messages:Oct 24 19:06:13 irad-lt kernel: [4294689.361000] bcm43xx driver
messages:Oct 24 17:04:52 irad-lt kernel: [17179594.148000] eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95705A50) rev 3001 PHY(5705)] (PCI:33MHz:32-bit) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:0d:56:aa:74:df
messages:Oct 24 17:04:52 irad-lt kernel: [17179594.380000] bcm43xx driver
syslog:Oct 24 17:04:52 irad-lt kernel: [17179594.148000] eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95705A50) rev 3001 PHY(5705)] (PCI:33MHz:32-bit) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:0d:56:aa:74:df
syslog:Oct 24 17:04:52 irad-lt kernel: [17179594.380000] bcm43xx driver
syslog:Oct 24 17:04:52 irad-lt kernel: [17179595.672000] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode4.fw" not available or load failed.
syslog:Oct 24 17:04:52 irad-lt kernel: [17179595.672000] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode4.fw" not available or load failed.
syslog.0:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294689.673000] bcm43xx driver
syslog.0:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294689.875000] eth1: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95705A50) rev 3001 PHY(5705)] (PCI:33MHz:32-bit) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:0d:56:aa:74:df
syslog.0:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.756000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1608
syslog.0:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.756000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1611
syslog.0:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.757000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1651
syslog.0:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.766000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_phy_inita() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_phy.c:577
syslog.0:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.766000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1608
syslog.0:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.766000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1611
syslog.0:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.766000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1651
syslog.0:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.766000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_set_txpower_a() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1802
syslog.0:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.776000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
syslog.0:Oct 23 21:11:09 irad-lt kernel: [4294692.776000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1134
syslog.0:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294689.306000] bcm43xx driver
syslog.0:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294689.775000] eth1: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95705A50) rev 3001 PHY(5705)] (PCI:33MHz:32-bit) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:0d:56:aa:74:df
syslog.0:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.320000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1608
syslog.0:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.320000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1611
syslog.0:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.320000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1651
syslog.0:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.329000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_phy_inita() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_phy.c:577
syslog.0:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.329000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1608
syslog.0:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.329000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1611
syslog.0:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.329000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1651
syslog.0:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.329000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in bcm43xx_radio_set_txpower_a() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_radio.c:1802
syslog.0:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.340000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
syslog.0:Oct 24 13:03:35 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.340000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1134
syslog.0:Oct 24 19:06:13 irad-lt kernel: [4294689.190000] eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95705A50) rev 3001 PHY(5705)] (PCI:33MHz:32-bit) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:0d:56:aa:74:df
syslog.0:Oct 24 19:06:13 irad-lt kernel: [4294689.361000] bcm43xx driver
syslog.0:Oct 24 19:06:13 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.153000] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode4.fw" not available or load failed.
syslog.0:Oct 24 19:06:13 irad-lt kernel: [4294691.157000] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode4.fw" not available or load failed.
syslog.0:Oct 24 19:06:21 irad-lt firmware_helper[4745]: main: error loading '/lib/firmware/bcm43xx_microcode4.fw' for device '/class/firmware/0000:02:03.0' with driver 'bcm43xx'
syslog.0:Oct 24 19:06:21 irad-lt kernel: [4294717.084000] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode4.fw" not available or load failed.
syslog.0:Oct 24 19:06:24 irad-lt NetworkManager: <information>^Ieth1: Device is fully-supported using driver 'bcm43xx'.
syslog.0:Oct 24 19:06:24 irad-lt firmware_helper[5001]: main: error loading '/lib/firmware/bcm43xx_microcode4.fw' for device '/class/firmware/0000:02:03.0' with driver 'bcm43xx'
syslog.0:Oct 24 19:06:24 irad-lt kernel: [4294719.970000] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode4.fw" not available or load failed.
syslog.0:Oct 24 15:06:55 irad-lt firmware_helper[5186]: main: error loading '/lib/firmware/bcm43xx_microcode4.fw' for device '/class/firmware/0000:02:03.0' with driver 'bcm43xx'
syslog.0:Oct 24 15:06:55 irad-lt kernel: [4294750.797000] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode4.fw" not available or load failed.
syslog.0:Oct 24 15:07:17 irad-lt firmware_helper[5211]: main: error loading '/lib/firmware/bcm43xx_microcode4.fw' for device '/class/firmware/0000:02:03.0' with driver 'bcm43xx'
syslog.0:Oct 24 15:07:17 irad-lt kernel: [4294773.627000] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode4.fw" not available or load failed.
syslog.0:Oct 24 15:07:40 irad-lt firmware_helper[5247]: main: error loading '/lib/firmware/bcm43xx_microcode4.fw' for device '/class/firmware/0000:02:03.0' with driver 'bcm43xx'
syslog.0:Oct 24 15:07:40 irad-lt kernel: [4294796.477000] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode4.fw" not available or load failed.

ZombiekE
October 25th, 2006, 05:12 PM
It worked for me in Dapper. However now I need to use wifi without the X server and I can't configure it. I tried to retry the step that the guide recommends when one updates the Kernel (I suppose it was updated with Edgy Eft). However it doesn't work... in the command there is some `uname -r` that doesn't work. Is it supposed to be something else? If I delete that part of the command it gets better, but still I can't go online.

How can I configure/activate/use my Broadcom in Edge Efty without X? :(

Please help.

henkstubbe
October 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks, that worked with Edgy on a Dell Latitude D600 laptop!

In Dapper ndiswrapper did the work without problems. However, after upgrading to Edgy I ran into problems.

With ndiswrapper I got this error: FATAL: Could not open ‘/lib/modules/2.6.15-27-686/kernel/drivers/net/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko’: No such file or directory

Then I followed this howto, but no wireless networks were recognized after the reboot.

I had to clean up /etc/network/interfaces first.

So I uncommented all interfaces (in my case only wlan0), except lo and eth0. The result:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
# They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
auto eth0

# The primary network interface
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# wireless
# iface wlan0 inet dhcp
# wireless-eddid <myessid>
# wireless-key <mykey>

Then I did

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

and voila, I was able to connect to my wireless connection.

tech2k5
October 25th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Some of the comments people have typed seem like there is a way to get a list of available ESSIDs. Is this available in Network Manager somehow, already installed with Ubuntu, or something extra that would need to be installed? If such a feature were available, would clicking on it automatically configure wireless for connection to the selected access point? (If that were the case, then it might be a solution to the problem I describe below.)

I have a Linksys WMP54GS... Following the steps from this thread, I got the card to work in 802.11b mode, but not in 802.11g mode. Does anyone know how to get G mode working?

The card functioned properly, most of the time, in Windows 2000. The drivers glitched or crashed occassionally, which required a reboot.

Signal strength is definitely not a problem.

I tried both the bcmwl5.sys file linked in the original instructions as well as a couple versions provided by Linksys. The Linksys files gave an error about missing microcode, but with a comment that the missing microcode is not currently used by the drivers.

I've searched these forums and elsewhere, but have not encountered anything helpful so far. I'm about a stone's throw away from giving up and trying ndiswrapper.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Someone typed a comment elsewhere saying that G-mode seems to be not supported at the moment. People whose cards will detect, but not connect, to a wireless network might be trying to connect to G-only networks. So some of us may be stuck with ndiswrapper for now.

How did you get your WMP54GS to work under Ubuntu? Are you running 6.06 LTS Drapper? I cant get this card to work under drapper, I would be just happy if I can run it in 802.11 b mode :-(

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1663001#post1663001

ZombiekE
October 25th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Ok, I've solved this... it seems Ubuntu needs "sudo modprobe bcm43xx" every time it starts.

lyceum
October 26th, 2006, 02:21 AM
For those with 4311, I re-installed edgy & tried ndiswrapper (yes I know I did not need to and it was dumb, but I was willing to try anything at that point) and my WiFi was gone. Edgy could no longer find it. Do not try that page. If you can't get this to work, I would recomend you get a new card.

llimllib
October 27th, 2006, 03:10 AM
So, it kind of works for me. I can connect and use the internet at first (edgy eft, same card as you) but the connection zonks out every 2 minutes or so. Sometimes for 10 seconds, sometimes for 10 minutes.

It makes the system unusable.

Anybody have any suggestions?

LinLenLap
October 27th, 2006, 05:59 AM
I just did a clean install of Edgy on a Lenovo 3000 c100. Under 6.06 lspci showed me having a broadcom 4318 or 4311...I can't recall which. Now it shows up as a Broadcom dell 1420 or something like that. Very odd.

Anyway, this guide works better than ever for me!

From a clean install I installed fwcutter, then dowloaded the wlapsto.o file, then copied the firmware to lib/firmware and the kernel directory. Then rebooted. I then booted up, entered my password, and Bam!

I mean, I'm using WAP-PSK and no problems. Amazing. I'd vote again, but apparently it remembers me having success with this under dapper.

Best,

LLL

baluchi
October 27th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a PC with Linksys WMP54G PCI card and a laptop with a Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA card. They both use the Broadcom 4306 chipset.

Following the tutorial on Ubuntu 6.06, they both worked fine using the wl_apsta.o driver provided, however after updating Ubuntu (apt-get upgrade), they both stopped working.

My router used the WEP 128bit encryption.

On my PC (Gnome), I had to redo the whole tutorial plus the following to get it to work:

sudo modprobe bcm43xx

On my laptop (server mode - ie terminal only) I had to edit /etc/network/interfaces manually to look like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
wireless-essid <myessid>
address 192.168.2.21
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1
wireless-key <mykey>
auto eth0
For DHCP, it can just look like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp
auto eth0

However, after the upgrade, I started getting this error message (James, are you listenning? ;)):

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP) : eth0: link is not ready
So I had to enter:

sudo iwconfig eth0 ap any
every time I boot.

Instead of re-typing these commands on every boot, I edited the /etc/rc.local to include the commands (without sudo) before the line where it says exit 0.

In both cases, I also added:

iwconfig eth0 rate 54M
to the same file so that the higher speed is used.

I hope this helps some, but I recommend anyone posting his problem to include the outputs of:
sudo iwconfig
sudo iwconfig
sudo iwlist scan
cat /etc/network/interfaces
plus any error message he encounters if related to his problem.

Thank you everyone for your help. :)

ZombiekE
October 28th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I have a Broadcom 4318 in Edgy Eft. I need to write "sudo modprobe bcm43xx" every time I start Ubuntu. After a few hours of use (sometimes not many), I have to do it again, but sometimes when I re-do it it doesn't work unless I reboot the laptop. What can I do?

Is anybody else having this issue?

benbruscella
October 29th, 2006, 07:01 AM
With Edgy, my wireless connection seems to go down after a while.

Then, when I try to reboot, I get:

bcm43xx: Controller RESET (Tx Timeout)

And this means I cannot shutdown/reboot without a power down.

Anyone else seeing this?

benb@zigzag:~$ sudo iwlist scan
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:11:24:0A:34:F5
ESSID:"home"
Channel:3
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Quality=100/100 Signal level=-71 dBm
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
Extra: Last beacon: 348ms ago
Cell 02 - Address: 00:14:6C:D0:27:38
ESSID:"MAGGIE"
Channel:11
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Quality=100/100 Signal level=-30 dBm
Extra: Last beacon: 4ms ago

sit0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

benb@zigzag:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

OneSeventeen
October 30th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I tried the original instructions to a T, then when that didn't work, I tried using the wireless drivers I used in the past to get it to work with Dapper.

Still no luck with Edgy.

Here's the requested output:
oneseventeen@tigershark:~$ sudo iwconfig

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"Calvary" Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=19 dBm
Encryption key:off

oneseventeen@tigershark:~$ sudo iwlist scan

eth1 No scan results

oneseventeen@tigershark:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

auto eth0

iface eth1 inet dhcp
wireless-essid Calvary
wireless-key s:

auto eth1

Any tips? Or should I go the ndiswrapper route, or possibly downgrade to Dapper?

This is my business laptop and I can't believe I was so eager to upgrade that I didn't give it time and check into the potential issues... I just remember using fwcutter to get wireless working in dapper and it was so easy. :(

OneSeventeen
October 30th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I followed these instructions (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Dapper) and just like this thread mentioned, I installed the fwcutter script, but after extracting the firmware from the file linked to in this thread, and the file I used last time to get it to work with ndiswrapper, I wound up just running the fwcutter script:

sudo /usr/share/bcm43xx-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh
I had to plug into a wired network for it to download the .so file and extract the firmware for me.

My wireless adapter still didn't work, so I manually edited the interfaces file to tell the interface to operate at 11M
wireless-rate 11M

I disabled all wireless networking whether that be from network-manager-gnome or network configuration, then rebooted, and it still didn't work.

So, I wound up just manually typing in
sudo iwconfig eth1 essid Calvary and it actually connected!

If there are any config files or command line argument results I can attach here to help anyone else with the issue, just ask and I'll post it.

(I'm now setting up a webserver on my laptop for development purposes over the now-working wireless!!! only 2 minutes remaining :D )

ag65151
October 31st, 2006, 03:16 AM
Worked like a champ on my HP pavilion ze5500. I came over to Ubuntu from FC. I was tired of banging my head against a brick wall to get my hw working. Thank you for this how-to.

Tiede
October 31st, 2006, 05:49 AM
I followed this to get my broadcom 4318 card to work in dapper (and it worked purrrfectly). Now that I've upgraded to edgy, I'm noticing some odd behaviors: sometimes, it works, well... But then out of the blue, it stops...
And reboot as I may, it still doesn't work... Then after a while, everything works fine again... Is someone else noticing this?

P.S: I did try (many times to no avail
sudo rmmod bcm43xx
sudo modprobe bcm43xx

Sokraates
October 31st, 2006, 08:00 AM
So I take, that ubuntu's default driver work for you. That's strange, since the bcm4318 is not supported (at least not rev2). You get the exact typeof your chip by typing "lspci" in a console. At least on my HP nx6110 it would only work with ndiswrapper.

You might also want to take a look at this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=197102) thread and maybe try the script, though in my case I needed to install both ndiwrapper-utils1.1 and ndiwrapper-utils1.8. The script also produces a nice log-file.

The steps performed by the script are explained here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=285809), if you prefer to do everything manually (it won't hurt for troubleshooting).

Sparticuz
November 1st, 2006, 12:57 AM
I'm having an interesting problem. I've got everything installed right (using ndiswrapper, the firmware thing didn't work). It's detecting my card, the 4311, and it's even getting an IP address from the router, but it's not getting on the internet. I have done this on multiple different AP's too, but still no internet. I do have to type my ESSID in, it's not scanning in network config, or network manager, but it is in wifi-radar.

4KvRMU7Nnv
November 1st, 2006, 05:32 AM
AHHHHHH!!! WTH!?!? I have done this exact procedure like 8 times after I proceded to kill ubuntu each time. I was doing it this time and it doesn't work?!!!?!??!? Now it says that my driver is old?
wtf?! it never was before! in fact i have installed it earlier today before i killed linux again and it worked! WTF! sigh...ill instll ubuntu again......but it takes like 30 minutes!!!!!!! GGRRRRRRRRR.

blackest_knight
November 1st, 2006, 09:34 PM
Hi
I just installed Edgy EFT and I have an HP Compaq NX6110 which has the BroadCom BCM4318 Version2 Chipset.

It's working fine and it was very quick and easy to install, no NDISWrapper needed but you do need to have had it working in Dapper natively.

So you need to backup some things from Dapper before you install Edgy.

Edgy has a file for broadcom chipsets ending in .Ko this is the operating systems side of the Driver, this will not work because it needs the cards firmware (from the manufacturer to talk to)

basically the driver is in two halves one half provided by the os is the .ko file the other half is provided by the wireless card manufacturer in
Dapper you used BcmCutter to cut the windows driver into bits

well Edgy needs those bits.
/lib/firmware/ has the bits you need inside that folder is bits of wireless driver and a number of folders (your linux kernel and supporting files live in them) ignore the folders just get those individual files out of there on your dapper install and put them somewhere safe.
install edgy and then put those files back into edgys /lib/firmware/
and reboot.

heres an easy way
open two terminals and
sudo nautilus
in each of them

that will bring up two file browser windows with root access
navigate to your saved firmware folder and to your edgy firmware folder
copy the files from savedfolder to edgy lib/firmware/ folder

ok reboot
now open a terminal window
type
$iwconfig
you should get

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"Myrouter" Nickname:"Broadcom 4318"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:11:50:45:85:35
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=18 dBm
Link Quality=56/100 Signal level=-51 dBm Noise level=-72 dBm

good
now lets get a lease

$ sudo dhclient

Password:
There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 4848
killed old client process, removed PID file
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit ,,,

Listening on LPF/eth0/ mac address
Sending on LPF/eth0/ mac address
Listening on LPF/eth1/ forum thinks
Sending on LPF/eth1/ mac addresses are smileys
DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.x.1
bound to 192.168.x.2 -- renewal in 985072504 seconds.
$

bingo connected not done anything else except come on here and tell you how i did it.

I created some files on my laptop they might be useful if you put them in your lib/firmware folder I think they are ok

I use an open access point with mac address filtering you probably want more security than that.

I don't know why but I find when changing access points it is difficult to associate with a new access point, however if i boot windows and get a lease then rebooting into ubuntu there is no problem at all. (I don't have any evidence other than this seems to work)

blackest_knight
November 1st, 2006, 10:27 PM
I've been playing with the data rates for the wireless card
sudo iwconfig eth1 rate 24M auto
works for me with no losses
sudo iwconfig eth1 rate 54M auto
and there are lots of losses

sudo iwconfig eth1 rate 48M auto

seemed ok but the internet seemed slow
there are a number of parameters you can try with iwconfig
but it looks like 18DBm is the maximum you can set the txpower
(you can lower it)

anyone able to do iwconfig on dapper and see what things are set to?

zds
November 2nd, 2006, 02:42 AM
Worked for me on my Compaq V2000Z AMD64 Turion with Broadcom 4318 using additional instructions at

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=43

Thanks!

rossjamesparker
November 3rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
Looks like a good howto. Unfortunately this is not so much help for me though.... my cheapy conexant wireless card doesn't show in Ubuntu :( I guess it's down to the computer shop for me.

eems01
November 4th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Anyone else seeing this?

eth1 Scan completed :
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Also seeing this issue on a dapper to edgy upgrade. Never a problem on dapper. I think edgy was ok for a few days after upgrading and then the past two days I have started seeing this. I've run all the updates since upgrade and maybe somehow they have made this issue?

eems01
November 4th, 2006, 06:34 PM

Anyone else seeing this?

eth1 Scan completed :
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Believe I just fixed this issue by re-extracting the firmware to both the /lib/firmware directory and the /lib/firmware/2.6.17-10-386
directory. Logs so far have not shown this error again.

Edit: It died again.

neversfelde
November 6th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Thank you for this fantastic howto. I think it has worked for me. The wlan interface (it's a broadcom with 4311 chipset) seems to work. I can scan for networks and I get a dhcp or static connection to my wlan network. Even WPA is really working.

The only problem is that I can't see any websites in my browsers. Ping, apt-get update is no problem, but kopete is also not working with wlan.
Might this be a problem with the broadcom driver?

Thanks for reading.

jon_herr
November 8th, 2006, 03:19 AM
I'm seeing your problem with Edgy...

"bcm43xx: Controller RESET (TX timeout)"

When it happens my keyboard is frozen - my mouse works - but sometimes the only way to shutdown or reboot is a hard reset.

Menus respond but don't do anything.

I'm trying a different kernel.

Jon

neversfelde
November 8th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I'm using the Generic-Kernel, but I also tried some tests with the i386. The same problem.

jon_herr
November 9th, 2006, 02:56 AM
My problem continues...

I've read something about this being a Kernel issue in Red Hat when some people switched to SMP version of Kernel.

I'm not using a SMP version as far as I know... just whatever was installed by Edgy. This is a single core Athlon 64.

Jon

greensmoke
November 9th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Thank you nickm!!! I've been trying to get this card to work for days! Got a Motorola wn825g pc card and could NOT get it to work even with all the various other walkthroughs I tried and the reinstalls of the ubuntu edgy alternate cd when the walkthroughs screwed up my system. I had basically given up, since I had no way to connect to the internet besides this wireless card as I have only a phone line jack in my laptop...that's it. I have usb ports on a pc card but they wouldn't let the usb2ethernet adapter work, so I was pretty much screwed. I was downloading the ndiswrapper util on a usb drive at an internet cafe and transferring it to ubuntu and back and forth and back and forth with everything to try to get it to work. My time was almost up at the cafe but I happened to run into your walkthrough. I saved it on the usb, and since it's two in the morning, I ran back to my place, gave it a try, and said..."If it doesn't work, I'm going back to windoze..." so I type in my router's address and IT WORKS!!

Thanks nickm, this deserves to be put in a more prominent area as it is a major solution for a lot of people.

greenxmoke

neversfelde
November 9th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I'm not using a SMP version as far as I know... just whatever was installed by Edgy.

I`ve tried with an smp Kernel and without. Now I`m using ndiswrapper at the moment, but I'm trying for the future.

jon_herr
November 9th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Can you use WPA encryption with ndiswrapper?

That's the whole reason I'm using 'network manager'...

neversfelde
November 9th, 2006, 05:46 PM
With ndiswrapper everything, even WPA encryption, works fine.

sakko
November 9th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to thank blackest_knight, and everyone else on this forum for the immense amount of info here.

blackest_knight had posted a zip file with the firmware for my card with instructions to put it in the /lib/firmware folder, which, after doing, my "sudo dhclient eth1" command fired up my wifi card no problem!

Before I was getting something like SSCIOFFLAGS: No file or directory found

After adding the firmware files I get:

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.3
Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

Listening on LPF/eth1/00:14:a5:48:d5:7c
Sending on LPF/eth1/00:14:a5:48:d5:7c
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 20
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
No DHCPOFFERS received.

Just FYI I am not currently near an AP so that's why it didn't find one. But my Wifi light is ON for the first time and I am sure it will work when I get home! If nothing else I am one HUGE step closer... thank you thank you thank you!

tommy1987
November 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM
worked excellently, thank you so much! I even had the dreaded:

Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [Airforce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

Thanks again,

ZombiekE
November 10th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I followed this to get my broadcom 4318 card to work in dapper (and it worked purrrfectly). Now that I've upgraded to edgy, I'm noticing some odd behaviors: sometimes, it works, well... But then out of the blue, it stops...
And reboot as I may, it still doesn't work... Then after a while, everything works fine again... Is someone else noticing this?

P.S: I did try (many times to no avail
sudo rmmod bcm43xx
sudo modprobe bcm43xx
I think we have the same issue with our Broadcom cards.

Tiede
November 10th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Is yours still doing it? Mine is showing improvement: it always connects though every once in a while it drops and I have to fire up wifi-radar to reconnect...

pastorjay
November 11th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Guys, I am putting this in as many threads about the broadcomm as I can. The new nvidia drivers cause some kind of comflict with the broadcom wireless cards. Not sure what happens, but as soon as I unloaded the nvidia drivers, and went with the default drivers the wireless function all of a sudden is working perfectly, and not droppiing out anymore. Just a heads up! And here is hoping that nvidia can fix this real quick, as you cannot use any 3d functions of the card, which means no Beryl and the sorts.

Sparticuz
November 11th, 2006, 06:55 AM
I've got the firmware installed and almost working...I can see all the networks in wifi-radar, but I can't get an IP from any of them.](*,)

eems01
November 11th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I'm seeing your problem with Edgy...

"bcm43xx: Controller RESET (TX timeout)"

When it happens my keyboard is frozen - my mouse works - but sometimes the only way to shutdown or reboot is a hard reset.

Menus respond but don't do anything.

I'm trying a different kernel.

Jon

This morning I installed the 7 avahi updates which mentioned fixing a crash. I figured this may solve this problem. Instead, network manager will not connect anymore after entering the key passphrase. The first light goes green and then a wireless connection screen pops up. After entering the correct credentials in and accepting network manager just stops.

Edit: A few reboots later keyring prompted for password and network manager connected successfully. Lets see if things eventually crash again?

PartisanEntity
November 11th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Hi, I have followed this tutorial but no luck, although the network manager shows up at start up, the only option I have is to enable networking (it does not say wireless networking).

My card is an Asus card with a bcm4306 chip.

dread0
November 11th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I have exactly the configuration mentioned in the HOW TO. I followed the steps exactly but when rebooting the the boot hangs and only recovers when I delete the extracted firmware from the kernel. nothing seems to work with broadcom and wireless and linux.

hoegaandit
November 12th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the help, it took me a couple of days to get this working. I have a Broadcom 4306 and it works most of the time, but sometimes it just drops the connection. I try doing

modprobe bcm43xx

but that only works sometimes. A reboot seems to fix it most of the time.
Anyone know how to fix this?

greensmoke
November 13th, 2006, 09:18 AM
do the modrobe bcm43xx command and then reboot. It should work after that. Recheck your essid and wep also. Reset your internet connection (router/modem) too as that seems to have helped a few times. It's just a bit tricky.

Novek
November 15th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks very much for this howto... tried many ndis howto's and didn'y have high ekspects for this nativ driver thing... but now i'm connected:D

deevus
November 16th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Omg it works finally!! Ive been trying for so long but to no avail with dapper and now edgy, but now it works!

Im using Broadcom 4306 on Apple g4 Powerbook. Did as instructed up to step 4b then entered SSID and enabled DHCP, and voila!

homerj742
November 19th, 2006, 07:02 PM
man this WAS working for me, and no suddenly I cannot see any of my wireless networks in "wifi-radar".

I haven't changed anything.

I followed this guide, however I am using Xubuntu on my laptop. and Wifi-Radar as my wireless application.

The card I'm using is a Linksys WPC54GS.

Any Ideas as to why this would suddnely stop working???

bilange
November 20th, 2006, 04:07 AM
This howto helped me enable my BCM4318 card. At the time of writing this, I didnt try the card in a real wireless network so I dont know if I will get the "I dont get an IP" bug, but lets cross fingers ;)

Machine: Acer Aspire 5044 ("5040 series"), using added-in Broadcom 4318, listed by lspci as "06:05.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)"

Used original poster's wl_apsta.o (http://boredklink.googlepages.com/wl_apsta.o) to extract the firmware, and copied it twice, in /lib/firmware AND /lib/firmware/kernel_version.

Added "bcm43xx" in /etc/modules, and also added ndiswrapper in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist so it wouldnt conflict.

g33k
November 20th, 2006, 04:44 AM
WOW....3 days of struggling, but it works now. Glad I found this post. THANK!

pastorjay
November 20th, 2006, 04:48 AM
man this WAS working for me, and no suddenly I cannot see any of my wireless networks in "wifi-radar".

I haven't changed anything.

I followed this guide, however I am using Xubuntu on my laptop. and Wifi-Radar as my wireless application.

The card I'm using is a Linksys WPC54GS.

Any Ideas as to why this would suddnely stop working???

Did you happen to update Nvidia drivers? There is a known issue with the new Nvidia drivers and the broadcomm chip having IRQ problems.

PJ

Tiede
November 20th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Here is the summary of my problems with the bcm43xx driver... (At least I have to say it's working... ;) )
Card is working intermittently. Also observed, the bcm43xx driver will only connect when a network's signal is "very good" i.e 5 full bars. Otherwise, connection stalls and never connects.
Output of lspci | grep Broadcom:
00:0b.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
Tried Ndiswrapper. Did not seem to work... Installed wrong??? - I do not wanna have to install it again > I could try with automatix, but I wanna see if the native will work instead, since I do not wanna have to reinstall Ndiswrapper after every upgrade...

Is anyone else having those issues

stuh84
November 20th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Took a while of messing around but finally got it working. Using a 4318 Airforce One type wireless, had given up with NDISWrapper because of the inability to get an IP Address, no matter what I tried.

Had quite a few problems with this one too, was about to give up. It would see the AP, and got an IP Address, but no luck getting anything else. I commented out the Wireless in /etc/network/interfaces and Network-Manager finally took over, went slightly dodgy and froze at first, gave it one more try, and it worked fine, I now have the little blue bars. This means I'll actually start using Ubuntu on this laptop now (not deleting XP by a long shot, but finally I have an alternative).

Thanks for this guide, its great.

homerj742
November 20th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I'm going to try editing my network interfaces file first!(as I don't believe my old sony laptop has Nvidia components in it) Thank you for the response Pastorjay

svenforum
November 20th, 2006, 07:44 PM
(Sorry for the bad English - Working on it)

I once had a succes using ndiswrapper, but after reboot it failed to work.
The solution posted here also worked, but again after reboot it failed to connect to an AP.

I solved it by creating two scripts.
The vital one looks like this:

bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/`uname -r` ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

I run this one each time I have to shutdown or reboot.

The other script looks like this:

iwconfig eth1 essid "blablabla"
iwlist eth1 scan > scan.log
grep Cell scan.log
grep ESSID scan.log
iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
iwconfig eth1 key restricted s:password
iwconfig eth1 | tail -n 9
dhclient eth1

This one is run to connect to my Wlan at home.

This works, but it ain't pretty.
Does someone see a more beautiful solution?

If not, is there a way to execute a script automatically at startup and shutdown, so I don't have to do it manually all the time?

Thanks in advance.
Sven

My specs:
Dual boot Windows XP / Ubuntu 6.06
Edgy
Linux flaptop 2.6.15-27-386
0000:02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
Actually it's a RavoTek card.

svenforum
November 20th, 2006, 09:09 PM
The first script isn't necessary.
In the second script (called getwlan), I added a line above the rest:

kill `pgrep dhcl`
(BTW: I run the scripts as root, forgot to mention it)

The procedure is as follows:
Eject the card & insert the card
./getwlan

Listening on LPF/eth1/00:90:96:af:f9:8a
Sending on LPF/eth1/00:90:96:af:f9:8a

(It will not get past DHCPREQUEST.)
Repeat procedure and it works!

Listening on LPF/eth1/00:90:96:af:f9:8a
Sending on LPF/eth1/00:90:96:af:f9:8a
DHCPACK from 192.168.123.254
bound to 192.168.123.153 -- renewal in 3459667 seconds.

It's always after the second try that it works. How come, I wonder. Does somebody has an idea?

Thanks in advance,
Sven

helmerizer
November 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM
Hello everyone.

I have been trying out a couple of different How To:s in order to get my BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless to work. At first I installed Ndiswrapper and dled and installed the proper driver for my card in terminal:

sudo ndiswrapper -i ~/Desktop/bcmwl5.inf
sudo ndiswrapper -m

And then:

:~$ ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
bcmwl5 driver present, hardware present

After this I proceeded according to the recipe and encountered something weird:

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
Password:
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid argument
I didn't know if that was important or not so I rebooted and opened Network Settings to configure the new wlan0 connection, only to find that it wasn't there. I could only find the same old eth1 (my wired connection is eth0) as before, which isn't working.
I did the same thing all over again with the graphical Ndisgtk, with the exact same result. Since then I have tried a few other (quite similar) methods, but to no avail.
It seems to me that the driver is in place but something keeps the kernel from loading it because it behaves like I haven't changed a thing.
I would be most grateful if anyone could shed some light on this.

I run a compaq nx6110 (dual boot winXP / Ubuntu 6.10)

thomastheobscure
November 24th, 2006, 03:42 PM
****In my edgy knot 2 testing I found that edgy users can stop the guide after competing stage 4 or 4b as it 'just works' with out network-manager if you fill in the SSID and set the wireless device to DHCP in the "networking" option under System > Administration****

This Should work with Apple hardware as well as PC's.

How to get a wireless card working in Ubuntu 6.06 or 6.10) with a Broadcom chipset 43xx

This guide assumes 2 things:

Wired Internet access on the machine with the wireless card on it, in my case i had a 10/100 LAN card that i was using as i couldn't get wireless to work which gave me full access to internet - although it is possible to put the files required on a CD and then add that CD as a repo in synaptic on the wireless machine, how to do this is not covered here, you could even extract the firmware on a different PC and place it in the right location on a remote PC using a CD/Pen drive taking a .deb of network manager with you.
A CLEAN install of dapper or edgy, most of the problems/failures in the responses to this guide have been because of unclean installs giving configuration that gets in the way of this guide and stops it from working, my dapper was installed during the Flight 5 stage and updated from there to knot 2 so its not necessary to reinstall from 6.0* or even if it has been updated from breezy but you might want to think about reinstalling if you've messed around with Ndis prior to this.

Okay so you have a wireless card that shows up in ubuntu but doesnt connect to any wireless network?

The reason the card shows up but doesn't work is because ubuntu is only distributed with its driver (so it can recognize it) not with its firmware (so it can USE it) for legal reasons.

However you can take the firmware out of the windows drivers and put them into ubuntu and make the card work!

Follow these steps to get your wireless card working under ubuntu dapper 6.06:

To find out if your card has a broadcom chipset run the following command:

lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
If that returns a string of numbers followed by the words Broadcom Corporation and then some more numbers then your in luck!
But if not, try my guide anyway, it cant do any harm and it might work for you, its largely untested for cards other than mine and the success stories posted here so give it a go and see!

Here is my output from doing this:

0000:02:0d.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

It seems that if you get the following string back: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) that this guide is VERY unlikly to work for you although it does sometimes, dont ask me why, but basically every "no" vote and "this didnt work for me" post comes from a BCM4318 user....

Prerequisite

Ubuntu dapper
A wireless card that shows up in Ubuntu
A driver installation CD (for Windows) OR a driver for your card from the internet
Access to the Ubuntu Universe Repository

1 ) Ensure you have access to the other ubuntu repos
follow the intructions on the second heading from this page to ensure you have the universe enabled
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Packages?action=show&redirect=UniversePackages

2 ) Copy your windows driver to your desktop

Use this driver with preference to any other:
http://boredklink.googlepages.com/wl_apsta.o
if this fails, your could use any of these:

Copy the driver from the CD that came with the Card
Copy it over from your windows partition if you have access to it, it will be located here: /Windows/System32/Drivers/bcmwl5.sys
Obtain it from here -http://sidulus.textdrive.com/bcmwl5sys.zip
Get any driver for your card of any date from their website - use this if initially you are not successful first tome try some newer/older drivers

3 ) Install bcm43xx-fwcutter
Open a terminal (dont worry) and type the following:

sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter
It will ask for your password and may ask you to press y to install, but dont worry its really easy

GUI Alternative: go to System in the top Gnome bar then Administration then Synaptic Package Manager
From here click Search and search for bcm43xx-fwcutter

http://boredklink.googlepages.com/synapticsrearch.png
Right click on its entry in the package window, select Mark for Installation and then click apply

http://boredklink.googlepages.com/synapticselect.png

4 ) Extract your Cards firmware from the driver
Open a terminal (dont worry) and type the following:

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
This will create lots of new files in the /lib/firmware directory, this is the firmware part of the driver that will make your card work with ubuntu!

http://boredklink.googlepages.com/libfirmware.png

4B ) Extract your Cards firmware from the driver
Just to be safe we'll put the driver in the kernel folder too

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/`uname -r` ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

you may have to repeat this step each time the kernel is updated or you may not, your results may vary.

Note The location and name of the .o file for this command may differ in your case, if you really get stuck type bcm43xx-fwcutter and then hit space, find your file using the GUI and then drag and drop it into the terminal.

5 ) Install Network Manager
I find that this is the best way to manage wireless connections

sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
It may ask for your password and may ask you to press y to install, but dont worry its really easy

You may find that Network Manager adds itself to system > preferences > sessions >startup programs
or you may not, if you find its not inlcuded, add

nm-applet --sm-disable

as found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1082980&postcount=32 , Network Manager might not work for Apple users, he says that a program called wifi-radar worked for him instead so if network manager is no good for you try this program instead
This might apply for non apple users as well
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx#head-cf3f0ec9146ae9441b39c4bed74e5d044ef78d2f

6 ) Bookmark this page and Reboot
Press Ctrl + D and then click on add

http://boredklink.googlepages.com/bookmark.png
Then log out & reboot
Return to this page after logging back in again

7 ) Use your new Wireless connection
From what i remember network manager should now show up by your clock and display your current connection, if your lucky it will show a series of bars, this means your now using your wireless connection so lucky you!

http://boredklink.googlepages.com/nm.png
If it doesnt, right click on it and tick "Enable Wireless" then left click on it
and select the wirless network of your choice.

Thanks, i hope this helps...

Issues:
----------------------------------------------------
Ensure the router you are connecting to supports 802.11 B connections
as this is what the card is now set up to use, check if your router has a "mixed"
setting rather than a G only setting which it should as G is backwards compatible with B
For anyone that is having problems, try this:

modprobe bcm43xx
and reboot
Information about networkmanager

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager
people seem to be having trouble getting this specific card: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) working using this guide, take a look at this post for help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1084114&postcount=43
or
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1105667&postcount=218 if your looking to Ndis instead
If you find your driver comes in a windows EXE format, typically this will just extract the drivers and can be run using Wine and then collected from your wine directory in the same places you can find them in windows
you could try renaming them to filename.zip and seeing if they open that way too.

Thanks for putting together this brilliant guide. I'm a complete newbie to ubuntu, and none of the ndiswrapper stuff worked for me. Your wireless setup method worked like a charm.

Cheers, mate.

woopud
November 24th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Will this work for a AMD64 laptop with the Broadcom 4603 and Ubuntu 6.10 ?

Bert

PPower
November 27th, 2006, 06:19 PM
It depends... Do you mean 4306?

Never heard of a 4603, but that probably wouldnt be supported anyway. The 4306 is the most supported one at the moment.

Nickm: If your still alive (which I hope you are), I have cracked a few more problems related to this driver. No offence or anything, but the guide has got a little bloated as of late, so I might rewrite it.

dsapoki
November 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM
worked perfectly on my asus a6k-Q023H with Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
thank you

kryton9
November 29th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Thanks for this walkthrough. I am totally new to linux and ubuntu. I am having problems I can't figure out. I have spent the last 4 days trying to get it to work about 5 hours each day at least. I figured the only way to learn how some of this stuff works.

I tried every walkthrough out there all the ndiswrapper one to the fwcutter ones as this one and did clean reinstalls of ubuntu edgy 32bit each time in between.

I have a Gateway 7422gx with the broadcom 4306 wireless, this walkthrough is the only one where I got the light to come on for the wireless at least, but I can't see any wired networks with network manager. I even disabled all security on my linsys router and enabled it to broadcast.
When I do sudo /sbin/ifconfig -s
I get this:
Iface MTU Met RX-OK RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR TX-OK TX-ERR TX-DRP TX-OVR Flg
eth0 1500 0 1546 0 0 0 1522 0 0 0 BMRU
lo 16436 0 2 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 LRU
wlan0 1500 0 0 0 0 0 182 0 0 0 BMU

eth0 is my hard wired connection I use when the wireless never works. I do disable it and reboot with the wireless enabled and never can get it to work. My notebook does not have a switch for the wireless, so the fwcutter helped in getting it to turn on as I do get the led lighting up that it is active.

Any guidance will really help. I feel I am close, but this last day just going in circles and decided to ask for help.

PPower
November 29th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Hmm... Can't help you there, don't use edgy myself (then again, im a Fedora user now).

May I suggest you check dmesg for any errors, and let us know whats in ifconfig and iwconfig (no switches).

kryton9
November 30th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks, I think I am just going to wait till the next release of Ubuntu to come out. I saw the talk on Google video about Fiesty Fawn, it sounds like these sort of problems will be taken care of by then.

Being new to linux from XP, too much work to make things that work easily in windows.

I think Ubuntu is really close to being a real alternative to Windows. I just tried Suse 10.2 RC1 today and couldn't get it to see my ati 3d card, even after I installed the linux drivers from Ati. I will see if I can get the wireless working just to see if it does. If not, I will give Fedora a shot.

If I fail in all, I will just put XP back on till the next releases then. It is fun seeing all of these OS's. It will be nice to have a real alternative that just works.

PPower
December 2nd, 2006, 06:50 PM
In all honesty, Fedora is nice, but as for your ubuntu problem:

The only thing I have any chance of reccomending to you for now is Dapper, but that has problems with it too (losing the AP mac address, one of the reasons I went to use Fedora).

Then again... ndiswrapper segfaulted for me on ubuntu.

*goes back to playing with compiz*

cyberslayer
December 5th, 2006, 02:37 AM
My system locked up after I completed step 5 in your guide and I had to power everything off because I couldn't reboot. I can still boot linux (from my hard drive) and my wireless light comes on now (it didn't before) but I can't log on because my mouse and keyboard do not work (I never had any problems with them before). I was running Ubuntu 6.10 with a Broadcom AirforceOne BCM4318 (I know you said it probably wouldn't work but I thought I'd try it) I am running off of a live CD right now. How can I get my mouse and keyboard working again short of a reinstall? I don't care if the wireless card works as long as my mouse and keyboard work again. ](*,)

Thanks

cyberslayer
December 5th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Ok I figure out how to fix it. It seems that the wireless driver was interfering with the mouse and keyboard drivers somehow. So anyway I fixed it by booting off the live CD and removing the files for the wireless driver from /lib/firmware (after mounting the hard drive). I have my mouse and keyboard back now but of course my wireless still doesn't work.

mrSlush50
December 5th, 2006, 06:52 AM
so i got my card working on the second try. but like an idiot I went and deleted the applet from my panel, and no matter what I do I can't seem to get it back. I even completly uninstalled network manager, but it still won't pot back up, and when I try to create a new one, I can't seem to get it to work.

can anyone help?

Tiede
December 5th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Your post can have two meanings, so I have put both things here to account for the ambiguity
First, if you just needed an icon that shows network status:
right click on the panel, select add, and then choose the icon you want from the list...
If this is not what you meant, i.e you need the network-manager applet that let you select the wireless profile you need, then do the following:
in a terminal, type

sudo nm-applet

mrSlush50
December 5th, 2006, 07:49 AM
well the icon isn't on the list, that's the problem. I'll try to other one though thank you.

EDIT: right, that didn't work at all. infact, when I type in sudo nm-applet something weird happens... nothing at all. it doesn't ask me for my password or anything. the cursor just drops down to the next line. I can type whatever I want into this line, and when I hit enter nothing will happen again. I have to close down, then open up a new terminal in order to do anything at all.

Let me be as specific as I can about my original problem. The little icon on the panel which apears next to the network monitor is gone. it's gone because I right clicked on it, then clicked "remove from panel" assuming I could get it back by right clicking on the panel and choosing network manager from the menu. but network manager isn't on the menu, and when I tried to create a custom application launcher, I was unable to find the right executable in order to do so. I uninstalled, then reinstalled network manager, then restarted my system, but nothing changed.

Tiede
December 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
try, in sequence:
sudo -s -H
apt-get remove --purge network-manager network-manager-gnome
apt-get install network-manager-gnome
nm-appletand get back to us.

dalemed
December 6th, 2006, 10:55 PM
It worked!!! After 2 days of messing around with everything but ndiswrapper, I came across your post. It worked the first time through. Thank you very much!!!

I should mention that I'm working with the old Network Monitor, not with the NetworkManager Applet.

I made this mod to a eMachine M5312.

trubblemaker
December 7th, 2006, 12:40 AM
nickm, you the man, I'm going to add your forum to the wiki so people can ask questions, you wrote a great howto, wiki for Broadcom (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Edgy).

ps

if anyone feels like updating the wiki with the pretty pictures your the man!

trubblemaker
December 7th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Any one know if the native driver can handle being a ap --> (master mode?)

Jbweld
December 7th, 2006, 01:35 AM
IN TERMINAL Program...
sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter
sudo /usr/share/bcm43xx-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh
sudo apt-get install network-manager
sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
sudo apt-get
sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Comment out everything other than “lo” entries in that file and save the file
USE # to comment out!
((Create a file called /etc/default/wpasupplicant, add entry ENABLED=0 and save the file
Sudo Gedit /etc/default wpasupplicant))) add ENABLE=0 into it and save file.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
sudo touch /etc/default/wpasupplicant
YEAH RE_Boot
sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor/
Then set it all up with wpa/network names etc..and your done.

mrSlush50
December 7th, 2006, 06:59 AM
the first part goes ok, and them I get this:

root@LAPPY-5000:/home/keith# nm-applet

(nm-applet:5464): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

??? did i type that wrong? was nm-applet supposed to go on the line above?

mrSlush50
December 9th, 2006, 02:13 AM
well I've tried everything. (that I know to try) I have completely removed all traces of the install (firmware, drivers, network manager... everything) then restarted, then did the install again. still nothing. I have no way of gaining access to the network manager interface. when it is installed on my computer, it runs, (I know this because I still get error messages from it) but because I can't run the nm-applet, I can't set a network up.

Is there a way to run the network manager, or the network manager applet (are these the same thing?) without it being installed on a panel? is there a way to install the applet on a panel without uninstalling and reinstalling network-manager-gnome? (since this doesn't work anyway.)

trubblemaker
December 9th, 2006, 02:22 AM
so this post didn't help? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1851604&postcount=635)
there are other ways of getting an ip address.

I assume your interface is wlan0 but could be eth1

you can use:

sudo iwlist scan

find an ap you like, get it's essid:

sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <fav-essid>
sudo dhclient wlan0

or if your /etc/network/interfaces is setup correctly:

sudo ifup wlan0
sudo ifdown wlan0

gui is nice but commandline is better for troubleshooting

mrSlush50
December 9th, 2006, 02:34 AM
when i run a scan in the command line I don't find anything. when the applet functioned it found all the networks I find when running windows. hence the need to get the applet back. this is what I get when I scan:

eth1 No scan results

I know there is a network because I have xp up and running wirelessly on the computer next to mine right now.

bottom line, I'm brand new at this and in GUI, things work (when the GUI is there) in command line things don't work. (I know this is because I don't know how to make them work and not because they won't, but frankly knowing I don't know something doesn't get me any closer to knowing it.)

EDIT: Got it.

thanks for all the help everybody.

trubblemaker
December 9th, 2006, 07:26 AM
I totally get where your coming from. FYI, if you can't get the wireless networks listed with "iwlist scan" you won't be able to get them running with the gui either. why don't you post

dmesg | grep bcm

I think it might help point to your issue.

also the last couple lines of
dmesg would also help diagnose your issue.

jjesena
December 9th, 2006, 04:39 PM
YES! I finally got it working. Gesho is right, but I think what really did it for me was commenting out everything in the /etc/network/interfaces file except 'lo'. I have the DELL D810 laptop with a 4318 Broadcom.

A few things to keep in mind: the 'wifi' light needs to be on. Ony my laptop I'd have to press the 'Fn' + 'F2' keys (this also toggles the bluetooth light). When the light is on, try connecting. When that doesn't work, reboot and try connecting again. It worked for me on the second try.

The only problem now is that I only get 11Mb/s, not 54Mb/s in bandwidth. It could be because of the driver, I don't know. And I don't feel like spending another 4 hours trying to get that working. But if anyone else has, please post!

great topic, thanks to the author.

for BCM4318 users (same here, on my inspiron 600m): look like the post by Slicedbread is the best for us.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1085392&postcount=55

here is what I did
installed bcmxx
downloaded bcmwl5 from Slisedbread's link in above post
blacklisted ndiswrapper
rebooted
sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware bcmwl5.sys (got same errors here as other BCM4318 users, don't worry)
rebooted

and cheers, signal is there

sargetech
December 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM
much kudos to nick m, thanks loads my friend for the help with microsoft mn-730 wireless card after following your instructs the card worked ok,period,that's all folks,
in fact I'm writing this with the wireless card in full effect
thanks for helping a spanking new nubbie crispy fried chicken dude!!!
thank you,thank you,thank you...

Live Long and Prosper!!!

sargetech,
sargetech@gmail.com

advoss
December 10th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Your guide was quite helpful in getting the BCM4306 (rev 3) thats built into the compaq nx9110 (the german version thoes letter are used for others aswell). However it didnt quite work. NetworkManager wouldnt work but I could use Wifi-Radar to get connected but I couldnt figure out how to connect to protected networks with that. On further searching on the forums I found there is a repository that will do the firmware stuff:

## BCM43XX Firmware Repo
deb http://ubuntu.cafuego.net edgy-cafuego bcm43xx

I added it to /etc/apt/sources.list then installed bcm43xx-firmware rebooted [removed WiFi-Radar, installed NetworkManager] and then NetworkManager is work.

It sometimes takes a couple attempts to connect but I havent had it be unable to yet.

Thank You very much.

___
To thoes people who dont have wireless showing up in network manager:

I had the same problem, it was because i had already tried to configure the card.
I looked at the NetworkManager page in the Ubuntu Wiki (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/NetworkManager) and found that you cant do that. I followed the instructions:

the harder way, is to backup and then edit the /etc/network/interfaces file to remove the configuration of these devices (except for lo which is needed for the loopback interface). You will have to save the file and reboot for the changes to take effect (or don't reboot and run /etc/init.d/networking restart instead).

and then wireless appeared in NetworkManager

nukedathlonman
December 11th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I've followed the guide and this works perfectly on my laptop (Acer Aspire 5002WLMi with Kubuntu "Edgy" AMD64 Desktop installed).

I know from reading most people use ndiswrapper to get the wireless working on these laptops, but ndiswrapper simply wouldn't work at all. No issues installing the proper 64-bit windows drivers, it load in no issues, and shen detected the card properly - but ndiswrapper kept on puking when I tried to load it. I know it's been suggested that the bcm43xx driver won't work on this particular laptop, I found this driver works perfectly - even the radio enable/disable button works as it should.

Now I have configured up wpa_supplicant so that I can connect to my wireless network (I'm using WPA2-PSK), but I can't seem to get this to auto-connect when in range of my home network, let alone any other wireless network. The only way I can connect to wireless networks is to do it manuly everytime.

Any idea's on how to get my wireless auto-connecting?

nukedathlonman
December 11th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Never mind, got it all figured out. :-)

jsherman75212
December 11th, 2006, 07:36 PM
After spending at least 60 hours looking for info to help resolve the wlan issue, I finally found a page that stated that there were issues with the kernel. I followed the directions for compiling the 2.6.19 kernel and rebooted. I removed anything to do with ndiswrapper and loaded the native bcm43xx module. Voila! I am posting this on an HP zv6000 with AMD64 3500+ over the wireless lan. Note - I had already used fwcutter to cut the firmware and I have no clue if this may have made a difference on the new kernel. But 2.6.19 just works with the wireless device although the light ONLY comes on when it is transmitting or receiving.

Tiede
December 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM
That's the way the light works now. I know, it pisses me off too sometimes; especially when I need to quickly check if my wlan card is on or off. I guess they thought we might need to monitor network activity more often...

jd4x4
December 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM
newbie user here... Thanks! It worked on IBM A20m laptop under XUbuntu 6.10 with Linksys card (BCM4306 Rev 03), but with the following notes:
I had installed Wireless Asistant prior, and after step 4a no luck. Then, after 4b & no luck I installed Network Manager. NM didn't see wireless card because I realized that it wasn't activated so I activated it (using System menu, Network). Still no luck so I rebooted.

Couldn't find NM again (hmm.. newbie!?) so I used Wireless Assistant & this time all worked fine.

I think NM said that it installed under Internet, but since my XUbuntu doesn't have that as a menu option... well, who knows where it is! I'll find it eventually I guess!

BrianH
December 18th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Is it true that this will not allow me to connect 802.11g 54Mbps???

I got this working last night on my BCM4306 Rev 02 and it works great except that I need it to work at 54Mbps. I'm trying to transfer HD video from another local machine (wired to the router) and 11Mbps is out of the question.

How can I get 54g speeds? Will the Ndiswrapper method work for this? I was hoping I could make it simple. Anyone have any success?

damnhappy
December 19th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Hi,
I got everything working great! This guide was a great help.
One thing is I need to have my IP set to a static address. Is there a way to configure my card's IP?
Thanks!

Clydesdale
December 21st, 2006, 03:29 AM
Awesome!!! It worked the first time on my Fujitsu P5010 laptop! I'm using it right now!!!

I followed the first directions exactly, using the wl_apsta.o driver method.

WOW!!! I was about to go back to Windows XP but now have my screen recolution, Palm Pilot interface, and wireless Internet access so I'll stay with Ubuntu Linux. Way to go Ubuntu. I gave up on getting Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 to work on my laptop. Ubuntu was FAR easier to get going. Not easy but I, a beginner, was able to do it.

woopud
December 21st, 2006, 05:22 AM
nickm, thank you so much !!
I've been trying to get my 64 bit Edgy on my Laptop to work with the build in Broadcom 4306 for a month now, re-installing 64 bit Edgy, trying x86 Edgy, trying 64 bit dapper and followed the Ndiswrapper guide but got messed up every time. Followed your guide and I got it working in 10 minutes !!

Bert

mukherjee.siddhartha
December 22nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Hi,
I have this
Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

And the bcmwl5.sys worked perfect.
Thanks to all :mrgreen:

xpan
December 24th, 2006, 11:39 AM
It didn't work on me.

I use an Acer 3023WLMi laptop with broadcom's 4318 wireless chipset. NDiswrapper didn't work either. The problem is that the button that turns on the antenna does not work (neither it works on windows but at lest broadcom provides a small .exe file that turns on the antenna and the wifi led starts to blink)

this is my output, if means anything to you:

The lines printed out while installing fw-cutter are not in english so I removed them. The following comments are mine
downloading and installing fw-cutter
..seems ok
..However I get a message that the following libraries
imlib11 tcltls docker sox imlib-base tk8.4 php5-cli libhtml-lint-perl
php5-common weblint-perl ndiswrapper-utils-1.1

are not needed and I can use apt-get autoremove to remove them
The non-english part ends here, The following section is copy-pasted as is.

xpan@xpan-laptop:~$ sudo /usr/share/bcm43xx-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh
--19:51:14-- http://svit.epfl.ch/stuff/wl_apsta.o
=> `wl_apsta.o'
looking for svit.epfl.ch... 128.178.192.9
Connecting to svit.epfl.ch|128.178.192.9|:80... connected.
(http seems ok)... 200 OK
length: 652866 (638K) [text/plain]

100%[====================================>] 652866 74.21K/s ETA 00:00

19:51:23 (73.81 KB/s) - `wl_apsta.o' saved [652866/652866]

bcm43xx-fwcutter can cut the firmware out of wl_apsta.o

filename : wl_apsta.o
version : 3.130.20.0
MD5 : e08665c5c5b66beb9c3b2dd54aa80cb3

extracting bcm43xx_microcode2.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode5.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode11.fw ...
*****: Sorry, it's not possible to extract "bcm43xx_microcode13.fw".
*****: Extracting firmware from an old driver is bad. Choose a more recent one.
*****: Luckily bcm43xx driver doesn't include microcode11 uploads at the moment.
*****: But this can be added in the future...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm5.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval01.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval02.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval03.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval04.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval05.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval06.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval07.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval08.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval09.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval10.fw ...
xpan@xpan-laptop:~$ sudo modprobe bcm43xx
xpan@xpan-laptop:~$ iwconfig

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID: off/any Nickname:"Broadcom 4318"
Mode: Managed Frequency=2.484 GHz Access Point: Invalid
Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=19 dBm
Link Quality: 0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid: 0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries: 0 Invalid misc: 0 Missed beacon:0

xpan@xpan-laptop:~$ sudo iwconfig eth1 ap any
xpan@xpan-laptop:~$ sudo iwconfig eth1 rate 54M
xpan@xpan-laptop:~$ sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

I also tried to run nm-appler but it does not recognize any wired or wireless device. Maybe because Edgy uses its own network manager interface. Edgy's network manager interface recognizes both my devices (wired and wireless) but although the wireless device is recognized and enabled the wifi led does not blink. This means that the radio is off.

any ideas?

woopud
December 24th, 2006, 02:47 PM
nickm, thank you so much !!
I've been trying to get my 64 bit Edgy on my Laptop to work with the build in Broadcom 4306 for a month now, re-installing 64 bit Edgy, trying x86 Edgy, trying 64 bit dapper and followed the Ndiswrapper guide but got messed up every time. Followed your guide and I got it working in 10 minutes !!

Bert

Well, it worked for about four days then it quit working. The wireless shows up under System -> Administration -> Networking and is enabled but under Network Manager it only shows Wired Connection. Any ideas ?

Bert

Dustin88
December 24th, 2006, 06:54 PM
@woopud-

If you have configured the wireless settings in Networking at all, it will not show up in Network Manager. Make sure you uncheck the box for the wireless connection that says 'Enable this connection' and then restart your system. Now it should show up in Network Manager.

@xpan-

The above may apply to you.

@BrianH-

As far as I can tell it will only work at 11Mbps. The ndiswrapper method, however, will allow you to connect at 54Mbps. You can find out how to do it here: http://www.seungpyo.com/stacksandpiles/2006/07/02/broadcom-wireless-in-ubuntu-dapper-606/ . If you're using Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy) be sure to replace the line that has "sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils" with "sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.8" otherwise it won't work.

Hope this helps you all,
Dustin

trubblemaker
December 24th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Edgy's network manager interface recognizes both my devices (wired and wireless) but although the wireless device is recognized and enabled the wifi led does not blink. This means that the radio is off.

any ideas?

You can turn on your wireless in bios or in windows then try and use it.

xpan
December 25th, 2006, 09:35 AM
You can turn on your wireless in bios or in windows then try and use it.

thanks, I tried but when I logoff from windows the radio is disabled.

in Bios I couldn't find the option.

I will send a mail to Acer support. Have I got any chances to receive an answer?

Does my output look normal?

trubblemaker
December 26th, 2006, 09:35 PM
yes most looks normal except for you setting the rate to 54M which at this point doesn't work. But that was mention in a previous post. Just good to reiterate it. It works reliably at 11M, bit faster at 22M, and unstable but faster at 36M. I wouldn't recommend at all using 54M and the bcm43xx driver. (for that speed use ndiswrapper)

to see if the card is working use

iwlist scan

this is a simple test to see what the card can see.

I didn't really see much output from you. (read the post but nothing out of the ordinary there)

/etc/network/interfaces must be empty ( except for lo enteries) for nm-appler to recognive your device

if you used the Network Manager to configure your wirless card, /etc/network/interfaces will have entries in it.

if you previously attempted to use ndiswrapper, it may be causing a conflict with the current bcm43xx driver. If you have not blacklisted ndiswrapper please consider doing it as both ndiswrapper and bcm43xx should not be loaded at the same time.

to blacklist ndiswrapper at "blacklist ndiswrapper" to :

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

hope this helps

please remember to post iwlist scan.

SeaSky
December 27th, 2006, 05:38 PM
If you have ever updated the broadcom driver under windows many of these how to's will not work. Why? Because the OEM drivers also update your firmware on your handy dandy broadcom chipset, it will still say you have 4318 or 4319 or whatever, and you do, but it's been "updated" After sending over 300 correspondances to HP about this and threatening legal action they finally did add the words "and firmware" on their driver downloads pages.

If you updated your driver under windows with a driver from HP then it also 'updated' your firmware...

trubblemaker
December 27th, 2006, 09:35 PM
SeaSky thanks for the update, but isn't the firmware loaded on boot hence us cutting it out, so it can be loaded? are you saying that we shouldn't cut out the firmware from new downloads? Or are you saying that new drivers need new firmware?

itsjustasensation
December 30th, 2006, 11:15 PM
This HowTo worked for me.

This is a note Lenovo 3000 C100 laptop users trying to get their wireless working. I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

lspci | grep Broadcom\ CorporationI

Gives me this:

Code:

0000:01:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4319 (rev 02)

note the end part that says (rev 02) - so its a rev 02 device but not specifically the AirForce One 54g referred to above.

I didn't have to do anything extraneous, only what nickm posted in the original.

I did, however, have to unplug my network cable and reboot to use the wirless. This means that, at this stage, I can only use either the wireless OR wired. If I want to change to wired I have to plug the cable back in and reboot. No amount of deactivating / activating or whatnot in System > Administration > Networking seems to be able to do this for me.

I also edit iftab

sudo gedit /etc/iftab

so it says wlan0 instead of eth1

---

You might be wondering why I would want to use wired when I now have my wireless working?

To my knowledge wireless network cards use similar transmittions technology as mobile phones, and I don't particularly fancy the idea of having a low powered microwave transceiver sitting on my testicles (or so close to my partners ovaries), hence I have a 30meter network cable and only rarely use the wireless.

Thanks nickm, that is really simple compaired with the other 2 processes I tried.

Good job.

Adam

boersmaa
December 30th, 2006, 11:58 PM
After I did this, in network-tools, when I checked, I did not get the IPv4 protocol in my eth1, only IPv6.
My wired eth0, and when I plug in a Cisco airnet card, they get both, IPv6 and IPv4 protocol.
I have no need for IPv6.

I also have a wifi0 card listed in my network-tools, it has no protocol but it shows interface statistics!

Anybody can shine some light on this?

HP DV8120 Turion ML37, Broadcom Airforce G, Ubuntu Edgy.
It has 2 drives so I installed Edgy on both with the same result!

Everything else works perfect on the laptop.

Andy

trubblemaker
December 31st, 2006, 01:17 PM
No amount of deactivating / activating or whatnot in System > Administration > Networking seems to be able to do this for me.

I suspect it's the bind order of the nic's, I'm not being snotty but I don't use the gui. the command line process to change from wireless back to wired connection (assuming /etc/network/interfaces file is correctly configured)

[code]
sudo ifdown wlan0
sudo ifup eth0
[code]
that should do all the necessary work to switch back to a wired connection. I hope this helps if you don't get a new ip that usable post the output from the commands and I'll try and help you figure out what's up.

rebooting isn't usually necessary in linux. it usually works, but isn't usually required. there's another command to invoke restarting your networking module in linux but I have it written down on a computer I don't have access to at the moment. if the above commands don't work I'll post that solution tomorrow.

cbm_redux
January 1st, 2007, 05:00 AM
I couldn't get anything to work with EdgyEft. Well, that's not entirely true. I hand wireless access for about 15 minutes using ndiswrapper. That promptly disappeared and proved irretrievable when I rebooted.

So, I did a fresh install of Dapper and followed the instructions in this how-to. Again, I had wireless access for a few minutes, and now it's gone. The nm-applet shows my wireless network and that of a neighbor. However, when I attempt to connect it takes an inordinate amount of time to establish a connection. When the "circling connection icon" finally shows two green lights, there is no signal, 0%. The one time that I actually had internet access, immediately after installation, it was at 100%. Also, I'm not sure if this is significant, the signal is quite strong under WinXP.

I've managed to connect using wifi-radar by creating a an entirely new wifi network with a different ssid and no security. Of course, this isn't a suitable solution. At this point I haven't a clue what to try next. Any ideas anyone? ](*,)

* the poll should have a choice for "not exactly."

Edit: Well I've got wifi working reliably if not perfectly. For reasons about which I won't even hazard a guess, I can connect on the first time, every time, if I use the nm-applet choice "create new wireless network" then launch wifi-radar. If I don't launch wifi-radar, then nm-applet will connect but the signal strength will be a 0% and I won't be assigned an IP address. With wifi-radar running (I don't connect with it, I just have it running so that I can see which, if any, IP address assigned) the connection and appropriate IP initiate straight away.

Stephen47
January 2nd, 2007, 01:38 AM
I read in another thread that the fw-cutter method doesn't work with the 1390 on the E1505. Is this true?

laharrin
January 2nd, 2007, 06:19 AM
This worked for me with a BCM4318 AirForce One (rev02) using bcmwl5.sys. I believe the key was in following the steps on a fresh install before applying any updates. I tried earlier after applying updates to a fresh install and had no luck. I was very glad to see the green Wi-Fi indicator on a Dell Inspiron 6000 alight this time! Thanks very much for the concise how-to.

Update: The card continues to work after applying the updates.

Slodeine
January 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
I've been endlessly tweaking my settings for the past two days without success. I use a Linksys WPC54G v1.2 PC card, and I've tried both ndiswrapper and the native drivers. Most recently, I reinstalled Edgy and followed this HOWTO word for word. I'm still having the same problem, what others have described as "kernel panic." Everytime I attempt to modify the card's settings through the built-in Network utility, I experience this kernel panic. dhclient also causes a hard crash.

I'm completely new to Linux and Ubuntu, so I don't really know what to do about this. Will changing kernels solve the problem? Is changing kernels difficult? Do I have to go to a newer kernel or an older kernel? What might the side-effects be?

taco_truck
January 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
This guide worked perfect for me!!

All i had to do was install gnome network manager and it worked!

katu
January 2nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
Worked perfectly. I had a moment of crisis right after restart, cause it didn't see anything, but now it works perfectly (on an AMD 64 bit system ;>).

trubblemaker
January 2nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
cbm_redux check out last 20 posts on this thread as I think I've already answered this question.

please post the output of these commands:

sudo iwlist scan
iwconfig
cat /etc/network/interfaces

trubblemaker
January 2nd, 2007, 10:13 PM
the kernel panic may be due to the not blacklisting ndiswrapper or bcm43xx whichever you have installed you must blacklist the other
if you have bcm43xx installed

add "blacklist ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

don't for get to use sudo as you'll need permission to edit that file

if you have ndiswrapper installed

add "blacklist bcm43xx" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

mallama
January 3rd, 2007, 05:06 AM
First off i would like to say thank you so much for this walk though! It worked like a charm. I am writing this post on my new wireless connection under ubuntu!!! The only thing that i have to say. Keep in mind this may be a rare problem. My wireless wouldn't connect until i set a static ip. Then it would connect and i couldn't surf till i set a DNS server. Weird huh but never the less everything is working great. Thanks so much for this TUT great work!!

Stephen47
January 3rd, 2007, 10:36 AM
I read in another thread that the fw-cutter method doesn't work with the 1390 on the E1505. Is this true?

bump

shams
January 3rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
Laharrin, I have the same card.

questions:
1. [QUOTE]****In my edgy knot 2 testing I found that edgy users can stop the guide after competing stage 4 or 4b as it 'just works' with out network-manager if you fill in the SSID and set the wireless device to DHCP in the "networking" option under System > Administration****[QUOTE]

how do I find the SSID to fill in?

you use edgy or dapper?

trubblemaker
January 3rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
sudo iwlist scan will give you a list of essid's to use

Stephen47
January 4th, 2007, 01:29 AM

bump well is it?

Slodeine
January 4th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Trubble, but I followed the procedure on a completely clean install of Edgy Eft. I've blacklisted ndiswrapper just in case, but it hasn't solved my kernel panic problem.

Any other suggestions?

jeanomobono
January 4th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Works perfect in a Compaq Presario V3115LA!!!!

Thanks!!!!

trubblemaker
January 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM
bump well is it?

only one way to find out try it, I don't believe everything I read, and half of what's posted. Most people are trying to help out but don't have all the info. To really know the answer I say try it out yourself. I'll help troubleshoot it if you want.

trubblemaker
January 4th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Slodeine, most likely you have two driver's trying to access the same piece of hardware, and that is what is 'causing your kernel panic. Atleast that is what happened with me, bcm43xx and ndiswarapper. I don't have your driver, and don't know what's natively supported for it, but that might be something to look into. Basically if you did a fresh install, did you try for wireless support before installing anything? Did you immediately install a wireless driver? Was the wireless card detected in the installation process? Can you think of any other drivers that you might have installed?

hope this helps, keep me posted.

mallama
January 4th, 2007, 03:58 PM
OK i have HP dv5222 laptop with a broadcom wireless card. I finally got this card to work with this nice TuT after many failed attempts with NdisWrapper. The only problem i have now is the wireless will stop working after about an hour of use. It will still say it is connected but will not receive any more data. I see it sending but not receiving thanks again for all the help.

Cheers

Slodeine
January 4th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Actually, Trubble, Ubuntu recognized the wireless card immediately after the clean install. Does that indicate the presence of a native driver for the card? And could that driver be causing the conflict? I suppose I'd need to blacklist that driver as well; does anybody know where to find it?

However, that doesn't explain the kernel panic, because I experience the kernel panic even before I followed this tutorial and right off the clean install, literally before I had done anything to the OS.

trubblemaker
January 5th, 2007, 01:01 AM
if you the wireless card is detected off the bat then their is no need to start installing drivers. If you experienced kernel panic before installing the driver then your likely isn't related to the driver. you should start a new thread with your posted dmesg, and a meaning full message like "kernel panic after install". if you should mention the network issue as an aside, as it happened before the install of the drivers.

Slodeine
January 5th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Thanks, Trubble. In which section would you recommend I post?

trubblemaker
January 5th, 2007, 01:19 AM
try installation and upgrades (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140) there are also some sticky's that might be worth reading through for help. Good luck, if you get the issue fixed and still need help with networking send me a pm and I'll try and help you.

quarkcool
January 6th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks! It worked with my old HP laptop and Linksys PCMCIA card WPC54G.
Although I'm not sure why it worked; I'll try to describe my experience here, maybe it will be of some use for other users :
Fresh Ubuntu 6.10 install
Followed nickm tutorial (very nice by the way). Reboot. Didn't work. I deleted the sections about eth1 (my wireless interface) and eth0 (my ethernet interface) in /etc/network/interfaces then reboot : I was able to connect to my linksys access point, so it worked like a charm
There were 90 upgrades to install, including Linux Kernel 2.6.17-10. I did that, reboot (because of the new kernel), and wireless didn't work anymore.
At this point I tried to redo the howto several times; to redo it from scrath I deleted the bcm43xx_* files in /lib/firmware and /lib/firmware/linux-*, I removed the network-manager and network-manager-gnome packages, ran rmmod bcm43xx, then I followed the HOWTO again, ran modprobe bcm43xx, reboot
It didn't seem to work, I tried several times and after each reboot it didn't work; I decided to let go for a moment, and shutdown the computer. I returned several hours later, and suddenly it was working. I rebooted the computer once and it worked again. So I guess it's working now (I hope)As you can see, my only concern is that it seemed to work a bit randomly. So I hope I won't have to go through this again if my wireless card suddenly decides not to work anymore.

For those who are wondering, I used the wl_apsta.o file linked from this page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Edgy) to extract the firmware (see the bold part about linux 2.6.17).

Anyway, thanks a bunch! Great HOWTO

Gor3
January 7th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Hello. I just isntalled Ubuntu Edgy and manage to figure out what the console was. I read ubuntu guides for beginners and I'm a bit lost. I've tried following this guide step by step and I can't get my wireless to work. I have an iMac G5 1gb of ram PPC with Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02). I'm dual booting Edgy with Mac OSx and my kernell is 2.6.17. I read in a few other threads that the kernell 2.6.15 or so and above have the driver to recognize my wireless card which apparently it does, but I cannot connect to my network.

I installed bcm43xx-fwcutter and when i get to the step "sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o" I get the following error:
*****: Sorry, it's not posible to extract "bcm43xx_microcode11.fw".
*****: Luckily bcm43xx driver doesn't include microcode11 uploads at the moment.*****: But this can be added in the future...

I've download several other drivers I found in this thread, but none worked. Now, also in this thread I read about G5's and my wireless card not working or having some problems. I've searched around and followed several step by step guides and there is always 1 step that I either don't understand or the command just doesnt do anything for me. I'm about to give up and uninstall ubuntu alltogether. If anyone has a noob-friendly step by step guide for a guy that is a few days new to linux will be much appreciated. :KS

Thanks,
Gore

joshthejest
January 10th, 2007, 03:48 PM
For some reason it did not work for me. I did a clean install on my machine and followed your steps exactly. I did not get any errors during the process, but it still doesn't seem to work.

Here are some of my outputs, any help would be greatly appreciated.

02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

iwconfig

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:off/any Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm

ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:43:63:63:CE
inet addr:192.168.0.100 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::211:43ff:fe63:63ce/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:520 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:38 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:169654 (165.6 KiB) TX bytes:4027 (3.9 KiB)
Interrupt:7

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0B:7D:0E:61:83
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:280 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:11760 (11.4 KiB)
Interrupt:11 Base address:0x4000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:100 (100.0 b) TX bytes:100 (100.0 b)

Celil Rifat
January 10th, 2007, 08:20 PM
The installation went fine for me, and the wireless worked, but after an hour it mysteriously stopped working.

spd106
January 10th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks again nickm for this handy guide.

I'm feeling really pleased that my Belkin F5D7000 v1 is now finally working with WPA-PSK. I thought I'd never get more than WEP. Network Manager didn't work, so I tried wpa_supplicant from the /etc/network/interfaces file with the wext driver. After about two hours of tinkering it suddenly just worked. Then again on reboot.

lspci says "Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)"

The weird part is that I can't get it to work on Win2K. Belkin doesn't provide a WPA utiility so I've had to use the free McAfee one, but it just won't connect. Even though my F5D7010 with the same chipset does.

I found this howto to be quite useful http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263136

spd106
January 10th, 2007, 10:35 PM
@joshthejest

Try scanning for APs with sudo iwlist eth1 scan.

vliegje20
January 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM
The tutorial worked for me except on 1 point. The startup for the gnome-network-manager. The startpost says:

You may find that Network Manager adds itself to system > preferences > sessions >startup programs
or you may not, if you find its not inlcuded, add nm-applet --sm-disable.

When i put that in the Terminal i get:
(nm-applet:4895): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(nm-applet:4895): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
/bin/sh: /usr/bin/esd: No such file or directory

Networkmanager doesnt work at startup. First i have to open the terminal. Then i must add nm-applet --sm-disable. Then i see the gnome-network-manager. But when i close the terminal the gnome-network-manager disappeears from the screen. But the internet connection still works.

davy-mobil
January 14th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Thank you for your tutorial. I have a Broadcom 4318 and it worked for me.

BiggerBadderBen
January 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks so much. It worked like a charm on my 3-year old Dell D600 with Broadcom BCM4306 Wi-fi chipset. Previously I used ndis-wrapper and wpasupplicant and invariably got confused and depressed. Setting up a wlan connection is getting easier in Linux and documentation like this really helps!

buMPer
January 19th, 2007, 10:13 PM
hello all! my card used to work following this HOW-TO until i patched my 2.6.17-generic-amd64 kernel to 2.6.19.1 and reboot for the new kernel to load. when i got the login page suddenly the keyboard lights started flashing and i couldn't move my mouse and keyboard don't respond anymore. i reboot using the old kernel and same result. i tried using the safe mode kernel and everything was loading smoothly until it started loading the bcw43xx module. i know i messed up bigtime with the kernel compilation but i'm stumped. dunno what to do anymore.

as a last resort, i installed WINXP :frown: :frown: just to go online and post here. i thought i was finally free from winxp......

please help.....

trubblemaker
January 19th, 2007, 10:24 PM
if your still trying to recover, use a live cd,

once boot is completed, open a terminal:

I hope you know what partition your '/' is on here I use /dev/hda1 the most common:

mkdir oldfiles
mount /dev/hda1 oldfiles
cd oldfile/etc/modprobe.d/
echo 'blacklist bcm43xx' | sudo tee -a blacklist

and reboot. this should stop bcm43xx from intializing.

If this works, great if not post back and I can help you "keep" alot of your info, with the loss of some installed programs.

Coombabah
January 20th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Close but not there yet :(
This appeared to work, I voted yes but now discover that after a while wireless always fails then my system locks up completely requiring power off. ΅
I googled and found others with the same crash problem when trying to use broadcom wireless under Linux :(
Back to plan A and using a Linux friendly PCMCIA card instead.

buMPer
January 20th, 2007, 02:51 PM
if your still trying to recover, use a live cd,

once boot is completed, open a terminal:

I hope you know what partition your '/' is on here I use /dev/hda1 the most common:

mkdir oldfiles
mount /dev/hda1 oldfiles
cd oldfile/etc/modprobe.d/
echo 'blacklist bcm43xx' | sudo tee -a blacklist

and reboot. this should stop bcm43xx from intializing............

thanks man! i was able to run it in recover mode using the cd. then i..

modprobe -r bcm43xx

as fast as i can type coz the first 3 attempts it only takes less than 5 secs after logging into recover mode and kernel starts to panic again. too much coffee maybe (LOL)

i went to /etc/modprobe.d and vim the blacklist and added "blacklist bcm433" just to make sure. don't want it to sneak up on me next reboot.

..................Close but not there yet :(
This appeared to work, I voted yes but now discover that after a while wireless always fails then my system locks up completely requiring power off.................

same thing happened to me man. started to work after updating 2.6.17.10-x86_64 generic kernel to 2.6.19.1 kernel.

trubblemaker, now i can't see my NIC when in "iwconfig". i did "ifdown" and "ifup" still no luck. stumped again. anybody has a solution? a walkthrough?

thanks again trubblemaker!

trubblemaker
January 21st, 2007, 12:03 AM
As bcm43xx is your wireless driver it seems and you blacklisted it, you no longer have a wireless card driver.

If you updated to the new kernel again, it will reinstate the driver.

BUT all is not lost you can replace bcm43xx with ndiswrapper and then use the windows driver. see my signature for the 'ndis from source' in my signature. It's actually faster than the bcm43xx driver which only operates at 11M/bs. any link in my signature should have a ndiswrapper method. I do suggest perphaps going to ndiswrapper source forge (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=93482) and downloading the latest source though to do it, as it's most likely to work with your new kernel.

If you want to file a bug report so bcm43xx gets fixed or see if it's already posted as a bug

go here (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+filebug)
and explain your bug with the following output

uname -a >> output

sudo lspci -vv >> output

sudo lspci -vvn >> output

sudo dmidecode >>output

OK know attach your above "output" file also attach /var/log/kern.log.0 to your bug report and you will get the attention of a developer. They will work on bugs that have output.

Hope this helps.

Matt

More questions? post back.

donniebnyc
January 22nd, 2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks so much for an easy to follow procedure that worked on the first try. =D>

erothoff
January 23rd, 2007, 01:34 AM
Your How To works great with both i386 and AMD64 Edgy using Broadcom 4311, if you want just 802.11 b. Is there anything coming up that will allow use to use 802.11 g without using ndiswrapper?

wncben
January 24th, 2007, 11:03 PM
YAY, I have wifi! (on an AMD64, with the 4318 chipset) following a combination of compwiz's howto, and this one, and some other kind folks out here...

I started with a FRESH install of ubuntu 6.10
I then installed a newer kernel (compwiz has a good stable 2.6.19.2) as the amd64 flavor of ubuntu, and the generic 2.17.10 don't combine for happy wifi
activated multiverse and universe repos
I then installed ndiswrapper 1.34 from sourceforge
then i ran the fwcutter from this thread
I installed network manager (wifi radar badly broke my touchpad)
then I commented out all the lines in /etc/network/interfaces except for these two

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

now wifi works, though my touchpad is not 100% as scrolling and touch and drag don't work... I have read this may be because of an inharent conflict between the bcm43XX driver and the touchpad driver.

buMPer
January 25th, 2007, 03:08 AM
As bcm43xx is your wireless driver it seems and you blacklisted it, you no longer have a wireless card driver.

hey it works now. i just made sure that eth1 or eth0 is changed to wlan0 on all entries and make sure you enable eth1 or eth0

sudo gedit /etc/modules (should have ndiswrapper entry)
sudo gedit /etc/modeprobe.d/ndiswrapper
sudo gedit /etc/iftab

sudo modeprobe

then reboot. hit firefox

discord
January 26th, 2007, 04:49 AM
look here got it working and with network manager!

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ndiswrapper/+bug/59983

LouO
January 27th, 2007, 03:27 AM
This worked perfectly on my HP zv6130us (using the wl_apsta driver).
The only thing is that your wireless light now flickers (looks like from the send/receive signal) instead of being on steady like the "original hp configuration".

I'm pretty new to Linux and Ubuntu and following these instructions was just what I needed - THANK YOU!

:D

taosaur
January 29th, 2007, 08:09 PM
My issue may have nothing to do with the drivers: this guide got me running with a 4318 chip (thankyouthankyouthankyou), but my connection frequently 'breaks;' while Wifi Radar shows everything kosher, none of my software (Firefox, Package Manager, Songbird) can access the net. A restart fixes it for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, but why is this happening in the first place? Can I do anything to correct this problem without restarting?

saris
January 29th, 2007, 11:33 PM
After trying all kinds of things for a week, this really did the trick! Finally got my wireless working, thank you very much for posting this thread.

bailey_jatt
January 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM
thank you sir, indeed an excellent how to.

duouk2000
January 30th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Bah, I have the Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) chip and predictably, it doesn't work :(

Uncelilo
January 31st, 2007, 01:58 AM
Thanks! So much! This worked on my HP dv8210. I have the BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g].

Before I've tried using ndiswrapper and couldn't ever get it to work. I spent a good 5 hours just messing around with it.

Then went through this and now it works. I had tried configuring the wireless card through the System / Administration / Networking thing. So I had to remove all the settings from there first. But now it works great. I used the driver found here: [URL="http://sidulus.textdrive.com/bcmwl5sys.zip"]

taosaur
January 31st, 2007, 08:01 AM
Bah, I have the Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) chip and predictably, it doesn't work :(

That's my chip, and I got it running. Key for me was removing Network Manager and putting in WiFi Radar.

duouk2000
January 31st, 2007, 10:56 PM
It's working now, god knows why, it just appeared out of no where in network manager before O.o

Still, as long as it works I'm grateful, cheers OP :D

kelleychambers
February 1st, 2007, 09:11 PM
Dude... after 18 months of not being able to use my built in wireless modem, this tutorial WORKED! You guys have made me one happy camper. It's all I needed to fully convert to Linux. Thank you so much!

:D

PS - I have the nasty rev 2 also:
kelley@Greene:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation05:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

ilopriz
February 4th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Hello!
I've a problem.
When I execute step 4 (Extract your Cards firmware from the driver)
When I execute the comand

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
the first time I tried with this driver:

http://boredklink.googlepages.com/wl_apsta.o

and I receive the following:

extracting bcm43xx_microcode2.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode5.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode11.fw ...
*****: Sorry, it's not possible to extract "bcm43xx_microcode13.fw".
*****: Lucily bcm43xx driver doesn't include microcode11 uploads at the moment.
*****: But this can be added in yhe future...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm5.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval01.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval02.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval03.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval04.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval05.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval06.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval07.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval08.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval09.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval10.fw ...

I tried also all these drivers:
-Windows driver in /Windows/System32/Drivers/bcmwl5.sys
-http://sidulus.textdrive.com/bcmwl5sys.zip
-http://svit.epfl.ch/stuff/wl_apsta.o

but the result is similar.

Where is the problem???

Justin Holt
February 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I also have the same problem as ilopriz with the old firmware.
Could some one also tell me if my card in this HP dv2000 works, here is the output from the lspci command from the tutorial:
[CODE

justin@jusitn-hp:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 4311 (rev 01)

[/CODE]

any help would be appriciated

ggendron
February 4th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Just want to say thank you. Have been trying unsuccessfully for 3 years ( every 6 months or so ) to get wireless G working on HP zv5000z (AMD).

#Reistlehr-
February 5th, 2007, 03:51 PM
i got an HP Dv9000z, bcm4310. i have been unsuccessful with ndiswrapper, and this method. i am also running with noapic and apic=off, otherwise x crashes from nvidia. any help woudl be appreciated.

#Reistlehr-
February 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
i have a 4310 and i get this

mike@ubuntu:~$ nm-applet --sm-disable
ALSA lib confmisc.c:670:(snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:391:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1070:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
ALSA lib conf.c:3947:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
ALSA lib pcm.c:2143:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default

(nm-applet:10489): libnotify-CRITICAL **: notify_notification_close: assertion `notification != NULL' failed

(nm-applet:10489): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

fwcutter and ndiswrapper both failed to work

Chamith
February 9th, 2007, 07:33 PM
hey

one of the best guides I've seen for Ubuntu or Linux in general. As a completely new user it was super easy to follow and fix my wireless problem (Dell 600m)

iamtherealwoody
February 10th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Thank you, Thank you, Thank You.
Been reading stuff for the past 2 days trying to get wireless to work, ndiswrapper, all that. This worked in 5 minutes! Thank you again. Now if i can just get my sound to work.

Gateway M675
Broadcom 4306

Matt

vegascoop
February 13th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I can confirm this guide works perfectly with a Buffalo Wireless-G 125 PCI Adapter (WLI2-PCI-G54S) using the suggested wl_apsta.o driver on the 32bit version of Ubuntu 6.10.

Thank you so much.

Neodragon90
February 15th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Is there anyway to get this to work with wireless-g because i have a wireless g card but i can only connect with b and my router has a verry shoddy b connection
Edit:

andy@Ubuntu-Laptop:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 4311 (rev 01)

Thats what my lspci is and b does work when it feels like it.

sourabhbora
February 17th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Thank you for this nice guide. But, its not working for me. :(
I have a brand new compaq presario c502us. with the infamous bcm 4311 card (from lspci and lspci -n)

The only version of bcmwl5.sys that works with this card is 4.40 (in windows)
but, bcm43xx-fwcutter -l says versions upto 3.90 only are supported.

Has anybody got it working on latest compaq machines?

meaghanz
February 18th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I've had ubuntu on my laptop for about a year now...but barely used because I couldn't get the wireless card to work (yes, i'm a newbie). Finally, a guide that made sense, was easy to do, and most of all, actually worked!!! Thanks!!!

Devastator9
February 20th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Hey
I just followed your post here to set up wireless on an HP DV6226us that had vista on it. I works great. No problems what so ever. Wireless card
Broadcom 4311 in a laptop
Dev

DirtyBerty
February 22nd, 2007, 11:31 PM
Thank you very much :)

I have finally got my Gateway mx3220b to connect having dl driver from Gateway UK and applying the blacklist ndiswarapper fix

I was starting to lose faith in the while thing!

Now if only my sound would work :confused:

thirstygerry
February 23rd, 2007, 05:04 PM
It worked for me
Even though I got "Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)"

A couple of days ago I used
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=327524
this walkthrough and It worked for my wpc54G v3.1

Then I had to reďnstall Ubuntu and it no longer worked, so I tried this and here I am posting wireless :)

thehodgie
February 24th, 2007, 07:48 AM
I hate to sound like every one else on this thread but, thank you very much for writing a great guide. I spent days upon days trying to figure out how to get my stupid wireless card to work and it only took me 10 minutes with your guide.

One tiny hiccup I had was that I am on Kubuntu (I don't know how much of a difference that makes) and I attempted to connect to my network using the wireless assistant that comes with it and it showed me the networks once, tried to connect, failed and then the networks wouldn't appear again. SO I tried the WifiRadar and it worked, I just had to wait.

Again, thank you a lot for this wonderful guide!

swedish cook
February 25th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I got Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) back, but worked first time, Mac Mini Power PC G4.

Great thanks.

DarkN00b
February 26th, 2007, 01:14 AM
I just used this HOWTO on Edgy and I must say it worked perfectly. I am posting this through my Linksys WPC54G ver.3 (BCM4318 ) CARD NOW. :D

Here's the proof:

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"*****" Nickname:"Broadcom 4318"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:13:49:22:3B:06
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=19 dBm
Link Quality=45/100 Signal level=-61 dBm Noise level=-71 dBm

Thanks for the great HOWTO!

AccidenT
February 26th, 2007, 04:22 AM
This HOWTO worked great for me in Edgy with a Linksys WMP54GS. Using the bcmwl5.sys from my windows partition didn't work, but using the provided wl_apsta.o file worked like a charm.

DarkN00b
February 26th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Most Excellent! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_75.gif

Glad you got it working.

kyuuketsuki47
February 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Well I must give my thanks. I tried everything before this. The windows wireless driver adapter and everything. Yours worked so easily with only the wireless assistant that was included in the Kubuntu Edgy install. And I think this even has more range than my windows driver gives me for some reason...

unclernie
March 1st, 2007, 01:35 AM
This worked for me.
Machine is an emachines M6810 laptop with Broadcom BCM4306 mini-PCI card
I found two versions of the bcmwl5.sys driver on the XP partition, and successfully extracted the firmware from the later one, version 3.100.46.0
I'm using Kubuntu Feisty herd 4

GrahamA
March 3rd, 2007, 01:18 AM
It's sort of half-worked for me. The driver loads no problems and I can scan for other networks and stuff. But I'm having trouble actually getting connected to an AP and running DHCP. Could anyone give me any suggestions as to what could cause this?

trubblemaker
March 3rd, 2007, 04:40 AM
depends on how you are trying to connect to the ap

Manually from commandline:

sudo iwlist scan

give you a list of essid's then and what interface to use: most often eth1

sudo iwconfig eth1 essid <your essid>
sudo dhclient eth1

if you are using

sudo ifup eth1

you need to have your /etc/network/interfaces file setup properly otherwise it won't work. The above mentioned method doesn't rely on /etc/network/interfaces. if you want to know how to setup your /etc/network/interfaces file you can 'man interfaces' or post back here and I'm sure people will help.

Sorry I know these aren't nice GUI commands but for troubleshooting commandline rules. Remeber no output often means everything is working fine.

ginoe
March 4th, 2007, 05:03 PM
thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

i followed these directions to the letter and am now wireless!

this rocks! :guitar:

now, if i can only get my laptop battery to last more than 15mins... :(

March 5th, 2007, 03:55 AM
i have one of those airforce one cards and have tried everything, to no avail.

this is what i got:

mateo@mateo-laptop:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:12:3F:03:88:3A
inet addr:192.168.2.5 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::212:3fff:fe03:883a/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:2311 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2546 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:2282310 (2.1 MiB) TX bytes:301268 (294.2 KiB)

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:90:4B:D7:A7:BA
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:193 Memory:dfdfe000-dfe00000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:198 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:198 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:69876 (68.2 KiB) TX bytes:69876 (68.2 KiB)

mateo@mateo-laptop:~$ modprobe bcm43xx
WARNING: Error inserting ieee80211_crypt (/lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/kernel/net/ieee80211/ieee80211_crypt.ko): Operation not permitted
WARNING: Error inserting ieee80211 (/lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/kernel/net/ieee80211/ieee80211.ko): Operation not permitted
WARNING: Error inserting ieee80211softmac (/lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/kernel/net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac.ko): Operation not permitted
FATAL: Error inserting bcm43xx (/lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko): Operation not permitted
mateo@mateo-laptop:~$ iwconfig

eth1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Power Management:off

mateo@mateo-laptop:~$

March 5th, 2007, 04:00 AM
and this:

mateo@mateo-laptop:~$ sudo iwconfig eth1 essid paul
mateo@mateo-laptop:~$ sudo dhclient eth1
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth1/00:90:4b:d7:a7:ba
Sending on LPF/eth1/00:90:4b:d7:a7:ba
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 20
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
No DHCPOFFERS received.
mateo@mateo-laptop:~$

memilanuk
March 5th, 2007, 05:32 AM
I had to click 'No', as the guide did not work straight up for me. The part about bcm43xx-fwcutter did, so I suppose one could argue the point. As it was, since the Linksys WMP54G wireless card (BCM4318 AirForce One chipset) is the only network connection I have on this machine, getting bcm43xx-fwcutter installed was a bit of a rodeo for me. I'm just getting started again after a loooong hiatus (4-5 years) from Linux. Some of the commands weren't completely unfamiliar, but having to go look in one thread or another on how to find single .deb files in the repository, d/l them to a USB drive (along w/ the .0 file), transfer them across, read up on how to manually install a single deb file (and pray there were no dependencies to go hunting down), etc. took a bit of a leap of faith after such a long break. For someone completely unfamiliar w/ Linux... who knows. At any rate, it did work, albeit w/ a couple detours. I'm typing this from Firefox inside Ubuntu 'Edgy' right now!

Thanks,

Monte

countryparson
March 7th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Thank you so much! This works perfectly on my Gateway MX3225.

acconrad
March 7th, 2007, 06:59 AM
I honestly have no idea what is wrong or where to begin...I have the exact same wireless card as nick and I have a Dell Latitude D800...I followed the instructions to a T and nothing is working...tell me what i need to post on this board and i'll post it so we can diagnose what my problem is please!

unclernie
March 7th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Testing Feisty Herd 5: Worked for me, both on herd 4 and herd 5. Didn't have to go past step 4, and knetworkmanager popped up and told me it had a connection!
System is emachines M6810 AMD64 with Broadcom bcm4306 (rev 03). System is dual-boot, so I extracted the firmware from the bcmwl5.sys I found on the WinXP partition (version 3.100.46.0)

fusionisthefuture
March 7th, 2007, 04:43 PM
well i was thrilled when i first tried this tutorial and it worked for my broadcom 4310 a/g/b network card, i tried it and it started working with my home unencrypted network, and then the next day i went to school, and messed around with my xorg.conf file a bunch. when i was at school, before i messed with ANYTHING i noticed that it couldnt see the main network in the school (but i could see an ad-hoc network, just couldnt connect to it), which was an unencrypted b network. so then i messed with my xorg.conf file which im told couldnt have aything to do with my wireless, and then i went home, and when i got home i couldnt connect or see my home network either. yesterday i went back to school, and now i cant even see the ad-hoc network at school. now today when i booted my computer up, i cant even see eth1, my wireless network in system>administration>network?!?!?! its changing all on its own it seems. whats going on?
thanks
-arne

nadarockyraccoon
March 7th, 2007, 10:01 PM
though it would seem that this worked just fine as my card turned on, it does not consistently connect and when it does things tend to be very slow (1000 B/s slow) and as i said that is when it connects. I have tried every possible combination of wireless management that i could find including only the preloaded wireless tools alone, different routers, different firmware, fresh installs and so forth. Months ago to make this card work I found a link in these forums that just made it work, but I cna't find it anymore. I've been using ubuntu since the Dapper Drake release and would hate to have to revert back to windows permantly as i have now, but if it doesn't work and i can't make then that might happen. Any suggestions, and please don't tell me to use the driver off the cd with ndiswrapper, i did that, and every other driver that i thought could possably work, it doesn't work