PDA

View Full Version : How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

hermesrules
June 9th, 2006, 06:45 AM
I have the 4306 chipset on a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop. I've been finally able to test the bcm43xx driver, having tried several sources for the driver files. Even with the driver file I got ndiswrapper to work, I couldn't make the bcm43xx work, so I actually found a version on this thread that finally made it work. It is 3.17.100.something, if I am not wrong...

I am now using the Kubuntu 6.06 Desktop CD, so that I wouldn't have to worry about my system settings. I was able to bring the card on, but for some reason the connection is slow, and tends to drop all the time. For example, I have 10 seconds of fast internet, and then about a minute of no connectivity, then some connectivity, then no connectivity again, etc. When I issue iwconfig, there is something that caught my attention. Where it says "Rx invalid crypt", I get a number, which is growing almost every time I use iwconfig. This was not the case with ndiswrapper.

More interestingly, the dmesg | grep bcm43xx output, following modprobe bcm43xx is as follows:
[/CODE] [4296696.067000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1134 [/CODE]

Then once the connection is up, I get this from the same command:
[/CODE][4296696.067000] bcm43xx: Controller restarted
[4296906.075000] bcm43xx: MAC suspend failed
[4296907.086000] bcm43xx: FATAL ERROR: BCM43xx_IRQ_XMIT_ERROR[/CODE]

I have no idea what either of these mean. Of course, I had to do iwconfig eth1 ap any to enable the access point, and could only configure via the KDE gui, but not through sudo ifup eth1.

Lastly, my wireless light is never on. NEVER. No matter whether I use ndiswrapper, or the bcm43xx. It works fine in XP, and I use the same driver with ndiswrapper.

Any ideas why I cannot get a good connection with the bcm43xx? I'd be happy to use it, but at the current state it is very much unusable for me. It is more like a proof of concept. Any suggestions highly appreciated.

Thanks!

skelooth
June 9th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I just want to add to the topic that it worked for me.

Turned out I had the 4318e Airforce One.... I honestly grumbled under my breath when I found out.... I followed the instructions and the wireless card was active, and it could even see the wireless network AND the windows network... but would not connect.

I added the blacklist bcm43xx entry and now it works perfect! Awesome!

nickm
June 9th, 2006, 08:41 AM
I've tried this, and it didn't work for me either. The light on my card has never turned on. My card shows up as eth0, not wlan0 like I've seen other people mention. Is there a way to remove what I did in this guide to try this again or try other things? Or do you have any suggestions? Also, I noticed that your guide says this makes the card word with B. Is there a way to get G to work? I really need G.

My card is a WMP54G BCM4306.

No, i'v never got it to work with G sorry, everything people are saying about getting it to work with g dont seem to work either, i'v never understood why people need fast wirless, unless your internet is >= 11mbps you wont use it. and if you do need to move large files around quickly i dont get why people dont just use 100/1000mbps ethernet :-k

skelooth
June 9th, 2006, 02:41 PM
mine is working with g

crag277
June 9th, 2006, 04:39 PM
As I posted here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1105667&postcount=218) I managed to get my 4318 working great using ndiswrapper in Ubuntu. I prefer to use KDE, so after I knew it could work I installed Kubuntu 6.06 and followed the same procedure. It worked beautifully again, until the first reboot. Now, when the computer boots it pauses at the “Configuring Network Interfaces” step for about a minute and instead of coming on solid my wireless light flashes, as if to indicate some error. Once KDE loads and I open up Wireless Assistant (how to auto connect in KDE anyone?) it sees my network, and I try to connect. The first time it cannot get an IP and gives an error message. But after that happens the wireless light on the laptop is on solid and I simply need to connect again and it works flawlessly.

I realize this is minor, but it would be nice to fix as everything else seems to be running great in Kubuntu.

mike4ubuntu
June 9th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Yep, it finally worked for me. Thank you very much.

I have a Lenovo 3000 Series C100

lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
0000:01:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4319 (rev 02)

I actually did not have to reboot. As soon as I installed the network-manager-gnome package it just started working. It looks like it starts a DAEMON.

Not sure I want to reboot, it might not work anymore :D

gomezj00
June 9th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Hi,
I just wanted to thank you for the excellent guide. It worked perfecctly for me. However, since I'm running Dapper with Xfce4 I don't think I can run the network manager specified in the guide. However, that's okay for me. Thanks again for the great guide!

Burke
June 10th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Hi, I think I have it close to working, but it's not quite there yet. I'm using AMD64 with a Broadcom 4318. I'm trying to make it work in ndiswrapper, and I think there's a possibility the driver I'm using is the problem. Does anyone have this working on amd64, and if so, could they supply me with the driver?

Thanks.

mike4ubuntu
June 10th, 2006, 03:19 AM
False Alarm!

It's actually not working. I had the wired connection still plugged in. The NetworkManager Applet indicates no network connection. When I iwconfig, I see an Access Point address now, where as it used to say invalid. Not sure why it can't get a network connection. Oh well, back to the drawing board.:cry:

mhosken
June 10th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Because the bcm43xx driver only claims (internally) to know anything about supporting the following cards: 4301, 4307, 4312, 4318, 4319, 4320, 4324, 4324, 4325. If you have a card that reports a code other than these, the bcm43xx driver just won't see it.

mannequin
June 10th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Thanks, crag277 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=52254). I just got my Broadcom 4311 (On a Dell Inspiron e1705) working with this method. One slight variation, though. You have to use a newer version of ndiswrapper than what Ubuntu gives you. This is normally fixed by downloading it from Sourceforge, compiling it and installing it. Then proceed as normal. :)

One quick question. How do I get it to become eth1 instead of wlan0 so that the Network Manager stops glaring at me with it's red circle with a slash through it? I did this part:

Type "sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper"Change the one line in that file to read "alias eth1 ndiswrapper" ... But it doesn't work, it stays as wlan0. Anyone else have this problem and fix it?

EDIT: As I've found in a place or two, simply adding 'ndiswrapper' to /etc/modules doesn't work, either. Network Manager sees that the network is there, but can't sign on to a WEP shared key protected network. Any help is much appreciated! :)

Thanks for the help!
-M.

arottenmind
June 10th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Hey i followed this How to, and im pretty sure i have the same card as this guide,

arottenmind@Laptop:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
0000:02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
0000:02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

and it did not work.. There were no errors while doing the guide, for myself..

here is a link to my theard with more info in it:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1119926#post1119926

Thanks

Trurl
June 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Works beautifully for me, and I'm a complete newbie. I'm using a Broadcom 4309, a.k.a. Dell 1450 mini PCI card. Thanks!

-Trurl

MetalMusicAddict
June 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM
One quick question. How do I get it to become eth1 instead of wlan0 so that the Network Manager stops glaring at me with it's red circle with a slash through it? I did this part:
... But it doesn't work, it stays as wlan0. Anyone else have this problem and fix it?
You can change it in the iftab file. In a terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/iftab

nickm
June 10th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Hey i followed this How to, and im pretty sure i have the same card as this guide,

arottenmind@Laptop:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
0000:02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
0000:02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

and it did not work.. There were no errors while doing the guide, for myself..

here is a link to my theard with more info in it:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1119926#post1119926

Thanks

Did you try my guide before you found Ndis didnt work?

Kawayanan
June 10th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Hi, I think I have it close to working, but it's not quite there yet. I'm using AMD64 with a Broadcom 4318. I'm trying to make it work in ndiswrapper, and I think there's a possibility the driver I'm using is the problem. Does anyone have this working on amd64, and if so, could they supply me with the driver?

Thanks.

I have a Compaq with a AMD64 chip and a Broadcom4318. I had first tried the drivers that Compaq supplied, but they did not work. After checking the ndiswrapper wiki (http://http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page), I looked for the closest thing to my laptop in the list of known working drivers (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List). I chose the sixth entry under "B" and it worked great. The download was an .exe, so I used cabextract to get the files out (cabextract is available throught synaptic). I followed the instrucions in this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=190177&highlight=4318), and everything worked the first time. I have also made a howto for stopping network manager from always asking for your keyring password found here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=192281).

Hope that works for you.

Kawayanan

mannequin
June 10th, 2006, 03:36 PM
You can change it in the iftab file. In a terminal:
Ah, thanks. I probably should have thought of it, but I thought it would be more complicated than that for some reason. :)

Next question: It's now seeing it as eth1, but Network Manager doesn't seem to be able to connect to my wireless network with my WEP shared key. Right now, I'm using the wireless by by-passing NM (Network Manager), but I would really like to see it work. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all of the help, by the way. This rocks. :)

-M.

arottenmind
June 10th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Did you try my guide before you found Ndis didnt work?

No i did not, but i had no Ndis drivers installed..

nickm
June 10th, 2006, 04:03 PM
No i did not, but i had no Ndis drivers installed..

:-k so ...wut?

jessica
June 10th, 2006, 04:05 PM
This worked very well. Thank You.

I'm using my wireless to post this right now, on a Dell Inspiron 1150. This solution solved a problem I was having (Error SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device) and got it all working.

That said, the gnome network app you reccomend doesn't seem to recognize my wireless (only the wired ethernet connection), but it's fine.

THANK YOU, for getting my wireless to work.

arottenmind
June 10th, 2006, 04:32 PM
:-k so ...wut?

What i said was i Tried your guide after i found out the ndis drivers were not working.. thats what you asked?

SoHoTrader
June 10th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Hi All,

I've a Gatware M675 Laptop and it uses BCM94306MP wireless card. I followed the instruction as the thread mentioned using bcm43xx drive. The good news is that I can use my wireless connection but one thing I don't like it's using B singnal and not G. any driver out there so I can BCM94306MP driver and install on my UBUNTU. I love G singal....:KS

SohoTrader

eightysix
June 11th, 2006, 04:43 AM
For the people who got Kismet to work with their bcm43xx cards, what did you put as your source? Or better yet, perhaps a sample kismet.conf file? Thanks.

thevic
June 11th, 2006, 06:06 AM
I followed the instructions, trying both the .o driver and the one from my windows dir. Both lead to a strange failure of bcm43xx. After restarting, following the login screen of Gnome, X freezes. I'm able to kill it (alt-ctrl-backspace), but if I let it run, switching to a different terminal screen (alt-ctrl-f1), every few minutes I get the error

bcm43xx: FATAL ERROR: BCM43xx_IRQ_XMIT_ERROR

I hate to be the zeebra here; no one else seems to have this problem. Nontheless, if you have any idea what's going on, please help.

For the record, this is a clean installation of 6.0.6, and my card is Broadcom Corporation BCM4306, rev 03.

boakes
June 11th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Well I wound up having to use ndiswrapper for mine. Apparently dapper doesn't support broadcom 4311 chipsets yet. Follow this link to get it working for those who own a Dell Inspiron e1705 with the 4311 broadcom wireless card.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=193350&highlight=1390

nickm
June 11th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Well I wound up having to use ndiswrapper for mine. Apparently dapper doesn't support broadcom 4311 chipsets yet. Follow this link to get it working for those who own a Dell Inspiron e1705 with the 4311 broadcom wireless card.

Theirs a better guide in this thread, its linked to on the first page at the bottom

mannequin
June 11th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Theirs a better guide in this thread, its linked to on the first page at the bottom Not quite true. It doesn't explain that some situations need an updated version of ndiswrapper. The BCM4311 is one of those that NEEDS the update in order to work. The ndiswrapper-utils package in Ubuntu is just too old for these wireless cards. ](*,)

Again, for the record, I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 with a BCM4311. (Actually, it isn't labeled as such, I think the label is Intel.)

-M.

mannequin
June 11th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Say, did you happen to try and get it to work automagically with Network Manager?

-M.

bdk
June 11th, 2006, 03:24 PM
It took me some time to totally figure out why my wireless wasn't working. I can see that the driver was installed but I wasn't getting the option to control the wireless via the notification area at the top. What normally looks like an RJ45 plug when configuring the wired portion of the computer.

It took reading some other posts to realize that I needed to comment out all but the loopback info in /etc/network/interfaces. Once I did that and rebooted, I now had the ability to configure and attach to a WPA (installed the wpasupplicant earlier too) wireless network. Very very cool.. I tried to read back through the initial posts in this how-to to see if commenting out the non-loopback entries in the interfaces file; couldn't find any...

An interesting hardware issue is that now my dedicated wireless on/off button on my laptop now seems to flash during wireless activity. Kinda like the LEDs on a wired NIC, this LED is the activity indicator for the wireless portion. Very cool indeed.

Hope this can help someone else out.

-bdk
(HP zd7000 using the internal Broadcom wireless card)

boakes
June 11th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Not quite true. It doesn't explain that some situations need an updated version of ndiswrapper. The BCM4311 is one of those that NEEDS the update in order to work. The ndiswrapper-utils package in Ubuntu is just too old for these wireless cards. ](*,)

Again, for the record, I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 with a BCM4311. (Actually, it isn't labeled as such, I think the label is Intel.)

-M.Nope, I didn't try it.

rubliwdrahcir
June 12th, 2006, 01:21 AM
nickm,

Thank you for the How-To. I am using an Apple iBook G4 1.43GHz PPC 1.5GB RAM 100GB HD with the fabled Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] (rev 02) wireless networking chip. I followed the steps using the wl_apsta.o driver file. That file helped my cause as I was having trouble getting any of the Apple AirPort*.dmg files mounted as an hfs filesystem in order to access the driver files.

The Gnome network manager worked like a charm! I am happy to be posting this over an encrypted wireless network. I haven't had wireless support since I wiped OS X and installed Ubuntu Breezy back in February 2006. It is good to be back!

Thanks again,

r

mannequin
June 12th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Nope, I didn't try it.
Ah well... If you ever do try to get it to work via Network Manager, and actually get it to work, PLEASE let me know. :)

-M.

shorty0927
June 12th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Yes! Yes! Yes!

I now have a Powerbook G4 15" with Broadcom 4306 card, functioning wireless AND I was able to get WPA working with WPA Supplicant. I was able to get the connection working using NetworkManager, too--I didn't have to install Wi-Fi Radar (which I had issues with about a month ago).

Thank you, nickm! I've been trying to get wireless working on my Linux installation for two months. Your instructions are good and easy to follow. :)

frogotronic
June 12th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Worked with Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop using an external PCMCIA MN720 Microsoft wireless card. This wireless card uses the broadcom chipset. Used 'wl_apsta.o' to extract firmware. I am using the MN720 drivers (www.driverguide.com) via the laptop wireless windows GUI (that I download using AUTOMATIX). I used acable connection to get set up at first.

Little trouble storing the newtork password/keyring - have to sort that out.

-CH

Tatey
June 12th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I'm using a G4 iBook with the BCM4306 (Rev3) and GNOME-Network-Manager. I'm connected to my wireless AP through WEP and completely satisfied. After the inital reboot, I had to manually reload the module (sudo modprobe bcm43xx) and everything worked. Cheers to Nickm for producing an execellent HOWTO.

mike4ubuntu
June 12th, 2006, 05:08 PM
It's strange, it only seems to work when I have the wired port plugged in. It does seem to respond to the wireless IP address with a ping in addition to the wired IP address. However, if I unplug the wired lan cable, the wireless IP address doesn't ping anymore. I'm still working on it. Any suggestions?

eth0 is the wired port and eth1 is the wireless port.

$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"**MyNet**" Nickname:"Broadcom 4318"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:12:34:56:78:90
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=19 dBm
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

sit0 no wireless extensions.

$ iwlist scan
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:12:34:56:78:90
ESSID:"<hidden>"
Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
Mode:Master
Channel:6
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:54 Mb/s
Extra: Rates (Mb/s): 1 2 5.5 9 11 6 12 18 24 36 48 54
Quality=100/100 Signal level=-179 dBm
Extra: Last beacon: 4022ms ago

sit0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

SentientFluid
June 13th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Just wanted to add a thank you and a "worked for me". I appreciate all the work people volunteer in making all this information available. :)

And your steps worked like a charm on my 14" iBook G4 (Late 2004). A reboot wasn't even needed where indicated. Right after I installed the network manager I noticed a new icon in the notification area. I clicked on it and it was already picking up my neighbours Linksys network. :)

So now I can surf to my heart's content at out local coffee shop. :)

ajred
June 13th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Hi there .

Ok first off, I have a bcm4306 wireless card (v03) in a hp ze4404us laptop. I followed the steps completely. After rebooting on the last step I see that that network manager does see my ssid so I go ahead and click wireless , then asks me for the key (using WEP)but will just not connect. Just to make sure my key was right I restarted in windows and tested my WEP key there and all was fine. So not really sure where to go from here, any ideas? Thanks

tehquickness
June 13th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I have a dell inspiron 9100 with a BCM4306 and it did not work for me. I can scan for wireless networks but i can not connect to any of them. Network manager also does not Recognize the card. Any ideas?

?????
June 13th, 2006, 04:22 PM
It stopped working.. I tried blacklisting ndiswrapper, modprobing and it "broke".

mike4ubuntu
June 13th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Still is not working. At least the Network Manager Applet doesn't see any networks. However,

$ iwlist scan
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:13...:01
Encryption key:On
Quality=100/100 Signal level=-147 dBm
Extra: Last beacon: 36ms ago
Cell 02 - Address: 00...:02
Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
Quality=100/100 Signal level=-143 dBm
Extra: Last beacon: 132ms ago
Cell 03 - Address: 00...:03
ESSID:"linksys"
Extra: Rates (Mb/s): 1 2 5.5 6 9 11 12 18 24 36 48 54
Quality=100/100 Signal level=-201 dBm
Extra: Last beacon: 568ms ago
Cell 04 - Address: 00...:04
Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
Extra: Rates (Mb/s): 1 2 5.5 6 9 11 12 18 24 36 48 54
Quality=100/100 Signal level=-172 dBm
Extra: Last beacon: 91ms ago
Cell 05 - Address: 00...:05
ESSID:"default"
Quality=100/100 Signal level=-216 dBm
Extra: Last beacon: 6ms ago

sit0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
----
so if the scan can see, why can't the Network Manager see it?

gaucho
June 13th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I'm at a loss... :-({|=

I have a Dell Inspiron XPS and am using the Linksys WPC54GS V1.1 card. After following the instructions for the bcm43xx driver install everything works as long as I have no WEP encryption.

I also installed Network Manager per the instructions but it does not see my wireless at all where as the default Network Monitor does and says I am connected (all bars full green - but truly I am not connected);

Any ideas? I feel soooo close, yet... [-X

mike4ubuntu
June 13th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I just checked http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerHardware and saw that my driver is supported:

Broadcom BCM43xx / Airport Extreme

$ lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
0000:01:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4319 (rev 02)

but the NetworkManager Applet still doesn't see the networks.

clonist
June 13th, 2006, 11:08 PM
I just checked http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerHardware and saw that my driver is supported:

Broadcom BCM43xx / Airport Extreme

but the NetworkManager Applet still doesn't see the networks.
I believe Network Manager only handles interfaces that aren't listed in /etc/network/interfaces. What I did was gedit /etc/network/interfaces and remove everything but the loopback reference.

This is my /etc/network/interfaces:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Edit- and I know this may sound strange, but my wireless device and networks were not detected until I removed their configuration from Network Monitor and restarted. Good luck! :)

eems01
June 13th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Worked perfectly for me using the wl_apsta.o file. Connects at 802.11g with WPA2.
Clean dapper install on Compaq Presario R3200. Thanks!

Update: Chipset was BCM4306 (rev 03) and did not need to install wpasupplicant to get WPA2 to work!

Sepper
June 14th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I just wanted to tell everyone to first check is your particular hardware is supported by the new bcm43xx kernel driver...
The list is here:
http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=Bcm43xxDevices
or here:
http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/?go=Devices
and you can get the subsystems numebr by following the instructions here:
http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=LspciExamples

My own 4318 14e4:0449 is not yet supported (on a Gateway MX7520H)

mike4ubuntu
June 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Yes, I discovered too, that when I took all of the wireless settings out of the /etc/network/interfaces and only left the loopback and the wired port, the Network Manager did allow me to attempt to connect to other network. The NM prompted me for the network name and authentication scheme. However, it still didn't connect. I read on one of the other threads, that it may only work with open and not shared key for WEP. I'm going to try that to see if it works.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=187571

Also, my laptop is a Lenovo Series 3000 c100, which indicates that it's actually a broadcom 4319, but it seems to get detected as a 4318. That may also be part of the problem. Does anybody else have this configuration working?

$ iwconfig

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:Off/any Nickname:"Broadcom 4318"

dinkumator
June 14th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I have this same card, shows up as "Unknown device 4319"... but I got it to work using the wireless drivers shipped with windows (bcmwl5.sys 3.140.16.0) on it instead of the wl_apsta.o

so now i can vote that it did work =)

Trurl
June 15th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I reinstalled ubuntu and was having problems getting the wireless working again, but eventually it worked, and I came across a few strange things that might help.

My wireless card is controlled using a combination of key-strokes. In linux, they don't appear to do anything. In windows, they toggle on/off. After being unable to get the wireless working in linux, I booted back into windows and manually turned on the card on (using the key-strokes). I also found that my wireless card was disabled in windows when the ethernet cable was plugged in. Anyway, booted back into linux and everything worked fine, although I had to right mouse the network monitor and tell it which network to choose.

What might also help is the instruction that says something to effect of: "you can drag the '.o' file into the terminal after the commad bcm43xx-fwcutter ". I didn't do that the first time around and everything worked, but this time I did this before booting back into windows, so this may have been responsible for getting things working although I'm not sure.

Thanks again for the walkthrough and good luck to anyone still having issues.

-Trurl

adssse
June 15th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Just finished following the guide and my BCM4306 wireless is working great. I wanted to say thanks for the guide, as I sincerely appreciate it.

ajred
June 15th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Well after trying all different drivers for this card (bcm4306 rev3), I finally got it working with driver sp28537 from the hp site. WPA and WEP are both working correctly. I also upgraded my routers (wgt624v2) firmware, not sure if that made a difference or not. Thanks for all the great posts!! :D

oldgoat
June 15th, 2006, 04:42 AM
nicm - yo - this was spot on - I saw this post when I was in breezy and that was the turning point in the dapper decision - Great Job!!

ntarun
June 15th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Thank you so much,
Your guide worked for me and its extremely satisfying.
Thanks a ton.
:)

kabben
June 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM
i dont normally bother with registering or posting on forums. but i have to say "thank you" to the guy that brought us this. What a fantastic guide!

worked first time and not a single hic-up. For those that don't have access to the net via wired net access to begin with you can just download the fwcutter and "make" the file btw... yes some of us arnt that great with linux (just giving it another shot atm myself).

Great version of linux, by far the best of any distro ive tried and with this and automatix it was a breeze to setup.

Never will use ndiswrapper again thankgod !

Dean.

ps. Much thanks to this community and the member that posted this guide especially.

compwiz18
June 15th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I posted a HOWTO for Broadcom 4318 cards, the ones that don't work with this method. It can be found here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1140976).

va5ja
June 15th, 2006, 05:12 PM
hi there... here's my problem... i finally got network manager working, it's a great thing... i followed this instructions:

In short: Nine steps to WPA encrypted Wifi with Ubuntu Dapper Drake:

1. sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant (might already be installed)
2. sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
3. sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces — Comment out everything but “lo” entries in that file
4. Create a file called /etc/default/wpasupplicant, add entry ENABLED=0
5. Reboot your system
6. Left-click the network manager icon in Gnome and select your wireless network
7. Follow the prompts for password, type, etc.
8. It will ask you to choose a password for your new “keyring”.
9. Be happy ;)

now my network manager works, my card detects available wireless networks and i can select wpa and wpa2... all perfect... but when i fill in the correct username, pass, protocols nothing happens... my iwconfig shows this:

ath0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"eduroam"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.447 GHz Access Point: 00:11:5C:C7:1F:70
Bit Rate:1 Mb/s Tx-Power:18 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
Retry: off RTS thr=250 B Fragment thr: off
Encryption key: off
Power Management: off
Link Quality=0/94 Signal level=-95 dBm Noise level=-95 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:292 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:109 Invalid misc:109 Missed beacon:0

is my bit rate too low? signal strength too low? how can i adjust my card properties... in windows all works great and fast to...

any ideas, thanks in advance

dscataglini
June 16th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks nickm and xXx 0wn3d xXx.
At first I could see the card but no networks. (nickm and I have the same exact card).
I went through the steps and I had the wireless working. Then the day after it stopped working and couldn't get it to work again.
Nothing i tried after that was working. I could see the networks but couldn't join any. Only once it looked like I was able to join one but then It dropped it.

Then I saw 0wn3d post and did the blacklist thing and voila' it works.
Thanks guys

Diego
YAN (yet another newbie)

meschaffe
June 16th, 2006, 09:47 PM
The only way I can get online feasably at the moment is via wireless connection - any purely offline solutions? I can get online through Windows right now, so is there anything I can download and take into Ubuntu to do the entire fix offline?

nickm
June 16th, 2006, 10:00 PM
The only way I can get online feasably at the moment is via wireless connection - any purely offline solutions? I can get online through Windows right now, so is there anything I can download and take into Ubuntu to do the entire fix offline?

Yeah, its the first point in the guide, i'v never done it before so i cant tell you how to do it, but its possible that way

meschaffe
June 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM
All I need to know is where fwcutter and netmanager are coming from and I should be able to figure out the rest.

georgeous
June 18th, 2006, 07:35 PM
If you find your driver comes in a windows EXE format, typically this will just extract the drivers and can be run using Wine and then collected from your wine directory in the same places you can find them in windows

I'm not sure if this applies to all .exe files, being a bit of a noob, but dell drivers that come in a .exe format can be extracted using 'unzip' in the terminal...

nickm
June 18th, 2006, 07:48 PM
yeah, thats right too, or you can rename it .zip and doubleclick

i never got round to putting that in #-o

Viserys
June 19th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Hi.

First of all, thanks for the fabulous tutorial.

However, I have a minor problem.

I followed all of the instructions as listed, and everything worked! Splendid!

I then went on to configure my computer, installing Python, MOL (I'm running an iBook G4, 1.33 GHz), etc. Later that day I went to use wireless again after rebooting, and, sadly, it failed; NetworkManager claimed that I was connected, but I couldn't do anything internet-related.

That night, on a whim, I pulled out my ethernet cord and tried wireless again. Bizarre... it was working.

So, today, I booted into Ubuntu. I tried everything, even reading this entire thread while wired. NetworkManager still thought I was connected to my network, but I couldn't use the web! I booted up WifiRader, and it said that I had a local IP and was connected as well.

What's going on? :(

I'm about to snap here, one of two things is possible:

I'll never boot into linux again (I simply can't live with wired ... my cables are too short and I have to sit on the floor :P).
I'll reinstall Dapper, try again, and pray. This can hopefully be avoided.

EDIT for clarification:

I do NOT have that supposedly evil card.
I'm using the .sys driver linked in the first post.
I've tried modprobe to no avail.
WifiRadar assures me that I have an IP, but I'm unable to connect to anything -- even my router's HTTP interface.
I can see and connect to wireless networks, just not do anything while connected.

JasonPN
June 19th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Wow...this couldn't have been easier. Thanks. :)

traherom
June 19th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Wow...this couldn't have been easier. Thanks. :)My feelings exactly.

One word of warning, however: remove all ndiswrapper drivers (if you started out trying to do it that way) before attempting this.

meschaffe
June 21st, 2006, 05:18 PM
I'm up and running now. Thanks for the guide. Hopefully it'll still hold up once I lug my computer back home.

pcbodger
June 21st, 2006, 08:34 PM
Awesome - worked like a dream once I twigged that my RJ45 cable could reach from my office to the router and got a LAN connection :rolleyes:

ayanefan
June 22nd, 2006, 02:44 AM
Followed the instructions and worked great! THANK YOU! Oh, I have Rev 2 of the broadcom bcm4318.

Viserys
June 22nd, 2006, 02:47 AM
I was able to fix my issue by disabling the builtin firewall.

Bytewalker
June 25th, 2006, 01:53 AM
i accidently removed the /lib/firmware directory lol
is my system totally screwed now or can i restore it?

usfour
June 25th, 2006, 07:52 AM
I spent the whole evening trying to get this working for my Acer Aspire 5002 following other links and instructions. Following yours took me 5 minutes. Brilliant. Thank you.

How do you view all the available access points?

Thanks again.

bakreule
June 25th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the great guide! I'm having a little trouble getting the wireless card to get recognized though:

My card (which seems like the proper one for this card):
Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.1b/g Wireless (rev 03)

'lsmod | grep bcm' returns this
bcm43xx
ieee80211softmac (used by: bcm43xx)
ieee80211 (used by: bcm43xx,ieee80211softmac)

I followed the instructions here and everything seems to have passed without problems. Unfortunately, upon rebooting, the Wireless Manager says "No Network Connection". The network manager that comes with Ubuntu says that wireless connection eth1 exists, and is active, and it's true that 'ifconfig' shows that eth1 is active (why eth1? why not wlan0?), but eth1 has no IP attributed, which usually means that it couldn't connect to the router. I've tried it open, and with WEP, with no success.

Have I missed something? This is really frustrating....

One last thing, this card DID work on the VectorLinux install that I had before. I then loaned the card to my girlfriend so she could use it on her Win98 box. Ever since that day, I couldn't use the card on my Vector box. It seems I'm having the same problem with my Ubuntu install....

Jabithew
June 25th, 2006, 02:04 PM
True genius. Having spent weeks trying to get the bloody thing working, Ifollowed this and it took a quarter of an hour. And most of that was download time. Thanks!

usfour
June 25th, 2006, 08:57 PM
...I followed the instructions here and everything seems to have passed without problems. Unfortunately, upon rebooting, the Wireless Manager says "No Network Connection". The network manager that comes with Ubuntu says that wireless connection eth1 exists, and is active, and it's true that 'ifconfig' shows that eth1 is active (why eth1? why not wlan0?), but eth1 has no IP attributed, which usually means that it couldn't connect to the router. I've tried it open, and with WEP, with no success....

I just got my wireless to work last night. The network manager shows 'No Network Connection' but I do have a connection with my Access Point. I do recall reading that there is a bug in the software. Have you tried connecting with no wireless security. ie. Broadcast SSID, no WEP/WPA, etc... Your eth1 is active. Give it a shot. Unplug the ethernet cable. Maybe it does work. :D

bastupungen
June 26th, 2006, 02:33 AM
What driver did you use?

If you have them can you mail me them to jonatansf(at)mail.com, or link them to me.

It would be really nice

bastupungen
June 26th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Hello!

Thanks for the nice guide! it was really good and easy, had i nice tone! like it like it..

Though i am having a problem that wep doesn't seem to work. I used the driver you
supplied. I am using the airport express card on an ibook G4. How do i change firmware in the card? do i just remove the files that i extracted or do i have to do anything else?

When i check which card it is it says its an;
Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

Anyone know a good firmware for it?

ifrflyer
June 26th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Thank you nickm- worked like a charm for me on a Dell Inspiron 5150

mikl
June 26th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Hi there,

I've tried your guide on a HP Pavilion zv5000 with a BCM4306 and both WPA and WPA2 AP's, but I can't connect - it finds the network, and I type in my key, and it tries to connect, but it never succeeds...
I get a lot of this on my dmesg:

[17179702.092000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:18:39:89:5e:90
[17179702.112000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:18:39:89:5e:90
[17179702.132000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:18:39:89:5e:90
[17179702.152000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:18:39:89:5e:90
[17179702.168000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:18:39:89:5e:90
[17179707.004000] printk: 249 messages suppressed.
[17179707.004000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:18:39:89:5e:90
[17179712.000000] printk: 257 messages suppressed.
[17179712.000000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:18:39:89:5e:90
[17179717.012000] printk: 258 messages suppressed.
[17179717.012000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:18:39:89:5e:90
[17179721.996000] printk: 257 messages suppressed.
[17179721.996000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:18:39:89:5e:90
[17179727.012000] printk: 259 messages suppressed.
[17179727.012000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:18:39:89:5e:90
[17179732.004000] printk: 258 messages suppressed.
[17179732.004000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:18:39:89:5e:90
[17179737.012000] printk: 259 messages suppressed.
[17179737.012000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:18:39:89:5e:90
[17179742.004000] printk: 257 messages suppressed.
[17179742.004000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:18:39:89:5e:90

usfour
June 27th, 2006, 02:05 AM
What driver did you use?

If you have them can you mail me them to jonatansf(at)mail.com, or link them to me.

It would be really nice

I followed the instructions exactly at the beginning of this thread. I used the recommended drivers there.

bakreule
June 27th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I just got my wireless to work last night. The network manager shows 'No Network Connection' but I do have a connection with my Access Point. I do recall reading that there is a bug in the software. Have you tried connecting with no wireless security. ie. Broadcast SSID, no WEP/WPA, etc... Your eth1 is active. Give it a shot. Unplug the ethernet cable. Maybe it does work.

eth1 has no IP address attached to it, so it's not going to work. I've tried both WEP and no security, with no success; the card refuses to talk with my access point. I guess I'll just have to play with it....

Jhodytropical
June 27th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Thank you very much. I have a Gateway 7326GZ and my Broadcom 'BCM4306' was driving me nuts to install your method helps me install it in no time.

I am now one step closer to ditch WINDOWS.

Many Thanks

GoldenH
June 27th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I managed to get it working by

- Install bcm43xx-fwcutter with sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter
- extract firmware from http://drinus.net/airport/wl_apsta.o with sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
- goto System -> Administration -> Networking and make all connections report as "Not configured" by deactivating all of them and unchecking the "enabled" button under their properties.
- activate the wireless connection (eth1 for me), goto properties, enable it, select the proper network, reboot.

then in order to make it work, i click on my network connection icon, then click configure, and then properties. it immediately loads up, and i cancel out of all the windows (pressing OK tends to break it again until I reboot)

if I don't have an ip, i run dhclient

one other interesting thing: if i do a dmesg I see this happening alot:

[17179807.388000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132

it happens in between network restarts, any idea what it means?

and the message when it finally works:
[17179817.712000] SoftMAC: Open Authentication completed with 00:09:5b:9e:48:e6
[17179817.724000] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth1: link becomes ready
[17179827.816000] eth1: no IPv6 routers present

i've noticed when it doesn't work, I often have an IPv6 IP address, but not a v4 IP address, any idea why this might be?

edit: found out some more stuff,

whenever i boot, i get an "ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready" error. apparently this happens when devices are reassigned after boot. I think this makes sense, maybe the internal network cards may actually be on a USB bus?
This usually goes away if you cancel out of the properties window enough times. then once it says it is ready do a dhclient. you may have to do dhclient again later, as the wired connection comes back alive and wants to play, but after the second time i haven't had it come back until after I restart when I have to do this all over again.

and, apparently if i try and plug in a Lan cable (because it's alot faster), then it gives me a IRQ conflict and the Incomplete code in keymac_write() error. The only way I know of to clear the IRQ conflict is to reboot my computer. Logging off doesn't work.

Also, I have a bandwidth of about 5 kb/s. This isn't really noticeable when I am just using internet, since my server is just connected to a dialup ISP, but, it gets really slow when i try to use a virtual desktop or transfer files and it may cause the connection to drop. Very strange.

Kalinda
June 27th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Wow! Thanks so much! NetworkManager and wireless both work great and it was so easy! Thanks for making your guide n00b-friendly :)

I have one problem, though - WEP doesn't work. I believe this is common, as a bug about it was reported. I think some more stuff is required to get WPA working, however.. so I will try it later.

Also, every time I boot now, KDEWallet attacks me with a password dialogue, even though my wireless doesn't try to automatically connect with security on. It also does it without any security (it connects by itself then, though), but it all started when I turned on WEP >><<

I'll have to look around some more; I think others have had these problems.

Thanks, though!

bigken
June 28th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Cheers mate worked a treat with my linksys WMP54G :D

trl-gen
June 29th, 2006, 08:31 AM
First of all thanck you for the guide it worked very well.

I've still got one problem though. For some reason Network Manager can't see my wireless connection. My wired connection is no problem for NM. Also I configured my wireles temporarily with the standard networking applet and it works that way. I still would like to use Network Manager, it's got more options and you at least know if you've got a good connection or not. Somebody got any idea what's wrong with NM???

usfour
June 29th, 2006, 09:22 AM
First of all thanck you for the guide it worked very well.

I've still got one problem though. For some reason Network Manager can't see my wireless connection. My wired connection is no problem for NM. Also I configured my wireles temporarily with the standard networking applet and it works that way. I still would like to use Network Manager, it's got more options and you at least know if you've got a good connection or not. Somebody got any idea what's wrong with NM???

I have the same problem with Network Manager. If I can get that working, life would be sweet.

:D

RezoApio
June 29th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks a lot !!! It worked like a charm for me. I had the difficult version (edit: I mean by that the Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)) you had mentioned but still it worked.

I had to get a new bmcwl5.sys however cos the one from the CD was not supported by the cutter. It took me some times to get it due to a difficulty to download with the firefox on this dapper version... (I will try to make it fine later).
But with the new sys file from the linksys support web site, it was ok to cut (just 2 messages about how bad it is to cut from an old driver but worded like a warning)
After that I just had to remember to rmmod the ndiswrapper, and remove the line from the /etc/modules to make it and it was ok.
sudo ifup eth1 (from the /etc/interfaces already set up for my wep password) and I had a nice ip address from the dhcp server.

Only thing that did not work at all is this new gnome network manager but as the standard network manager is just cool with the lovely green indicator of the wifi power ;-) I will just remove it completely from my system.

Once again just cool topic. Thanks a million.
William

allnameswereout
June 29th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Is this howto for x86 only? Maybe add that notice given Ubuntu supports more and more architectures.

I'm searching for a WiFi card which works on any architecture...

stanswx
June 30th, 2006, 04:13 AM
This works great on my Dell Inspiron 5100 with my Dell Truemobile 1370 802.11b/g card!! I couldn't get the gnome thing to work either, it just kept looking for my ethernet connection. Thanks a bunch!!

Stan

boakes
June 30th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Theirs a better guide in this thread, its linked to on the first page at the bottomWhere? I don't see any links except for what you posted. Sorry for taking so long to respond.

jeannie
July 1st, 2006, 01:11 AM
Thank you for making this available. It worked and it was easy.
=D>

jwest131
July 1st, 2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks worked like a charm!

pbeck
July 1st, 2006, 10:53 AM
Great how-to! I feel like i am very close to getting mine to work. I have an emachines 6809 with the broadcom wireless chip.. i finally got the wireless light to come on after reinstalling ubuntu, but now even with the light on, it wont find any wireless networks even though i am sitting next to the router at home. iwconfig looks like this:

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:off/any Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.484 GHz Access Point: Invalid
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm

using the modprobe command doesnt work either.. what is that supposed to do anyways? anyways, i'm kind of a newbie, but seems like problems like these abound!

thanks!

ZombiekE
July 1st, 2006, 05:43 PM
Thank you very much for your help =D>. I am posting this message from my laptop. I have a 4318 and I didn't even need to reboot. I am going to spend some months abroad and I needed to be able to use wireless connections. Hadn't it been for this how-to, I would have had to use Windows just for this problem.

The_Dewster
July 1st, 2006, 09:32 PM
Worked like a charm for me on my IBM Thinkpad T21 with a Motorola WN825g card. Thanks!

dirtvoyles
July 2nd, 2006, 12:52 AM
This worked great for me, but can anyone tell me how to get the gnome network manager GUI to start with the system at boot/xstart?

DaveAtFraud
July 2nd, 2006, 04:22 AM
I'm running into what appears to be a timing problem between bcm43xx and my WAP. The system (HP Pavilion zv6015) is running FC4 x86_64 with the 2.6.17-2139_FC4 kernel. Everything appears to be clean but I get:

ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'WEP'
bcm43xx: set security called
bcm43xx: .active_key = 0
bcm43xx: .level = 1
bcm43xx: .enabled = 1
bcm43xx: .encrypt = 1
SoftMAC: Associate: Scanning for networks first.
SoftMAC: Associate: failed to initiate scan. Is device up?
bcm43xx: PHY connected
bcm43xx: Radio turned on
bcm43xx: Chip initialized
bcm43xx: DMA initialized
bcm43xx: 80211 cores initialized
bcm43xx: Keys cleared
SoftMAC: Associate: Scanning for networks first.
SoftMAC: Start scanning with channel: 1
SoftMAC: Scanning 14 channels
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready
Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
SoftMAC: Scanning finished
SoftMAC: Queueing Authentication Request to 00:12:17:7a:b6:f6
SoftMAC: cannot associate without being authenticated, requested authentication
SoftMAC: Queueing Authentication Request to 00:12:17:7a:b6:f6
SoftMAC: cannot associate without being authenticated, requested authentication
SoftMAC: Sent Authentication Request to 00:12:17:7a:b6:f6.
SoftMAC: Sent Authentication Request to 00:12:17:7a:b6:f6.
SoftMAC: Open Authentication with 00:12:17:7a:b6:f6 failed, error code: 13
SoftMAC: Authentication response received from 00:12:17:7a:b6:f6 but did not
request authentication.
bcm43xx: Radio turned off
bcm43xx: DMA 0x0200 (RX) max used slots: 1/64
bcm43xx: DMA 0x0260 (TX) max used slots: 0/512
bcm43xx: DMA 0x0240 (TX) max used slots: 0/512
bcm43xx: DMA 0x0220 (TX) max used slots: 2/512
bcm43xx: DMA 0x0200 (TX) max used slots: 0/512

That is, the driver times out waiting for an authentication response from the WAP and then complains when the response finally arrives. Is anyone else seeing anything like this? The WAP is a D-Link with both encryption and MAC address authentication required.

Cheers,
Dave

JoshNCSU22
July 2nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
After following the directions to add the Universe Repo I still cannot find the correct packages...

josh@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package bcm43xx-fwcutter

I've done a sudo apt-get update and it looks like it's grabbing the right repos...any suggestions?

ben s
July 2nd, 2006, 08:36 PM
Colour me impressed -- it worked very the first time on my 1.67GHz Powerbook G4 -- running off the CD no less! I wanted to make sure my wireless was going to work before I committed to puting Ubuntu on the hard drive.

I'm not used to Linux related things working first time on my Powerbook. :)

trevymond
July 3rd, 2006, 05:34 AM
hey i'm new to this whole linux-gnome world and i installed it coming from using windows my whole life and i came up with a problem when trying to install my broadcom wireless card, i followed the steps above and i came up with lots of errors along the way, am using dell inspiron 1300 notebook and ubuntu isn't recognizing my wireless card can someone please help me out i'm kind of new to this OS so can you give me a step by step a little simple so i can understand

cheeseman557
July 3rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
I followed all the steps and at the end when I do modprobe bcm43xx, I get the following:

WARNING: Error inserting ieee80211softmac (/lib/modules/2.6.15-25-386/kernel/net/ieee80211/softmac/ieee80211softmac.ko): Operation not permitted
FATAL: Error inserting bcm43xx (/lib/modules/2.6.15-25-386/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko): Operation not permitted

I have a Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02) card. Thanks for your help.

Corfy
July 4th, 2006, 04:21 AM
It didn't work for me. I have a Dell Latitude D400 with a "0000:01:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g (rev 02)" wireless card. I tried with the files from the first post as well as with a .sys that's known to work well with ndiswrapper. In all cases, I've ended up with a kernel panic right as the wireless card became active. To anyone else with this particular flavor of Broadcom, here's what I've done to get it to work (and I won't go that much into detail since most of this is documented very well elsewhere...):

1) Install ndiswrapper-utils

2) Download the TrueMobile 1400 (BCM4309 - 802.11a+b+g) (http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R63259.EXE) driver package from Linuxant's site (http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/drivers.php).

3) Rename R63259.EXE to R63259.EXE.ZIP and open with Archive Manager -- extract bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5.sys from /TMSetup

4) Do the ndiswrapper voodoo with the file(s) above.

5) Blacklist bcm43xx

6) Add ndiswrapper to /etc/modules

7) Reboot

Now, if I could only get NetworkManager to work with ndiswrapper...

I want to thank you for this post. My Dell Latitude D600 has the exact same TrueMobile 1400 card, and I had the exact same problem with the kernel panic. Your directions got me up and running, which i have been trying to do for nearly a week now.

Harman Smith
July 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Excellent guide! Having not lost the main draw of my laptop will makemy card to fun meauser of Ubuntu; I had tried Fedora but couldn't get my card to function. This is wonderful :D

For reference, I am a user of the *antiquated*, ahem, older Broadcom chipset in a Presario 2500:

0000:00:09.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

No guide mentions this BCM4306 rev 02 combo specifically but Imangaed and am quite pleased with the results.

And this guide told me to turn on the Universe repositories, which no other one did*coughcough*, even thought he rest of the steps might be all well. It might not have mattered for someone more familiar and expirenced but for a n00b like me, it was a deal breaker.

Good guide, I highly recomend it for anyone expirenceing Broadcom issues.

chaag
July 4th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks much for this, I am using Ubuntu 6.06 on a Dell Latitude D600 with the Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03). This post helped me a lot. One note, the gnome network manager does not work on this set up, wifi-radar does

One warning, once you install bcm43xx-fwcutter, other instructions incate you should simply run:

/usr/share/bcm43xx-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh

However, this script appears to have an error in it. Note this for loop:

for i in *.fw; do
mv -v $i /lib/firmware/$i;
done

The firmware binaries end up in the wrong directory. They need to be "in" a sub directory of lib firmware, named for you current (or all) kernel. For example, here is my /lib/firmware

$ ls -F /lib/firmware/
2.6.15-23-386/ 2.6.15-25-386/

The firware binaries must be in the current release dir or both of the directories. Either move the binaries to the correct place or modify the script as follows:

#get the current release
rel=`uname -r`
for i in *.fw; do
mv -v $i /lib/firmware/$rel/$i;
done

Note: You will have manually move these files each time you upgrade the kernel AND, there is no guarantee that the binaries will continue to work with each new release, so it may be neccessary to aquire new firmware binaries with each new kernel.

krazyd
July 5th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Has anyone got their broadcom chip showing correct signal strength in Network Manager?

I've tried using both the bcm43xx and ndiswrapper for my 4318 card and it's constantly on 100%.

By the way, ndiwrapper still works much better for me than bcm43xx. Way more range / router doesn't have to be as close for a good connection.

mannequin
July 5th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Has anyone got their broadcom chip showing correct signal strength in Network Manager?

I've tried using both the bcm43xx and ndiswrapper for my 4318 card and it's constantly on 100%.

By the way, ndiwrapper still works much better for me than bcm43xx. Way more range / router doesn't have to be as close for a good connection. You have it working with Network Manager and ndiswrapper? Does it automatically work, or do you have to do something else? I know that you have to remove everything but lo from /etc/nework/interfaces. (That's to stop that suggestion from coming up again. :) ) Any help would be appreciated! I'd rather use WPA or WPA2 then WEP, but WEP is the only option with Network Monitor.

Thanks!
-M.

UeB
July 5th, 2006, 06:31 PM
EDIT: sorry my mistake this msg can be deleted

sigmason
July 5th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I have my bcm4318 based Linksys WPC54G working in Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu. However, I've noticed a few minor things.

Has anyone else noticed:

1. If you remove the card hot from the PCMCIA slot, although UDEV reloads it, it doesn't successfully rebuild the last WiFi association even with the proper settings in the interfaces file? In the iwconfig screen you'll see the WiFi interface with no associated access point.

2. The rate setting doesn't work from inside interfaces...if you do 'wireless_rate 54M' it doesn't stick, but if you do 'sudo iwconfig eth1 rate 54M' it does stick.

3. Why does the interface for the wireless card alternate from wlan0 when there is no available network it is associated with...to eth1 when I'm connected to my home network...I have all my files setup for eth1...I don't have a reference to wlan0 anywhere so where is that from?

Now, I have tried the network-manager package and it helps with problem 1...in the sense I don't need to resort to terminal configuration to bring the card back.

I have also gotten past number 2 by using udev rules but that seems like overkill.

I thinking this all might be because I'm using the latest Linksys driver from the Linksys site....I'm hoping if others don't have this behavior that's all that's wrong (even though the firmware works in every other way I've tried.)

What is the suggested version of the Linksys driver to hit with the fwcutter utility?

sigmason

n00bWillingToLearn
July 6th, 2006, 09:22 AM
After following the directions to add the Universe Repo I still cannot find the correct packages...

josh@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter
E: Couldn't find package bcm43xx-fwcutter

I've done a sudo apt-get update and it looks like it's grabbing the right repos...any suggestions?

Could you post your etc/apt/sources.list ?

JoshNCSU22
July 6th, 2006, 11:18 PM
deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 5.10 _Breezy Badger_ - Release Candidate i386 (20051005)]/ breezy main restricted

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ breezy main restricted universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ breezy main restricted universe

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ breezy-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ breezy-security main restricted

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ breezy multiverse
deb http://ubuntu.secs.oakland.edu/ breezy main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ubuntu.secs.oakland.edu/ breezy-security main restricted
deb http://ubuntu.secs.oakland.edu/ breezy-updates main restricted universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ breezy main restricted universe multiverse

#deb http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net/ubuntu/ breezy-backports main universe

#deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ breezy-updates main restricted universe
#deb http://apt.cerkinfo.be/ unstable main contrib non-free

krazyd
July 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM
You have it working with Network Manager and ndiswrapper? Does it automatically work, or do you have to do something else? I know that you have to remove everything but lo from /etc/nework/interfaces. (That's to stop that suggestion from coming up again. :) ) Any help would be appreciated! I'd rather use WPA or WPA2 then WEP, but WEP is the only option with Network Monitor.

Thanks!
-M.

Yes, it works well with Network Manager, all automagically once ndiswrapper is working properly!

And it isn't true that you should remove everything from /etc/network/interfaces. In fact, if I do that, Network manager can't see my wireless at all! This is what my /etc/network/interfaces looks like:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

#auto eth2
#iface eth2 inet dhcp

#auto ath0
#iface ath0 inet dhcp

#auto wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp

eth1 is my wireless. Also, network manager also automatically worked with WPA for me. As soon as I clicked on the wireless network, it detected the WPA and asked for my password.

This is how I installed ndiswrapper, in case it helps: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1105667&postcount=218
I used the windows drivers ASUS provided me with for the card.

da1nonlymikeo
July 9th, 2006, 02:42 PM
yo man when i get to step 4 and do.....

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

i get a reply of..

cannot open input file /home/mike/desktop/wl_apsta.o

what did i do wrong??

rmonie
July 9th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Nickm,

Thanks a million. It worked fine except that I now have a weird situation where the Network Manager refuses to acknowledge the existence of the wireless connect(which is working fine!) I am also getting a network signal bar which is vertical.

Any ideas & thanks again

Regards

RMonie

spidey867
July 9th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Hey, I just recently installed Ubuntu 6.06 on my Dell notebook. As far as I'm aware, it has a Truemobile 1400 in it (BCM4309 802.11a/b/g). I tried using this guide and didn't have too many problems until I rebooted at the end. Upon boot of the kernel, it gets stuck at "Loading hardware drivers..." and just sits there for a while. Since it was a fresh install, I just put the Live CD in and reinstalled 6.06. If anyone knows of what I did wrong, please help me out.

Thanks.

bluppfisk
July 10th, 2006, 01:33 AM
I followed a very similar guide on the wiki to try and get my Broadcom 4318 working in my Compaq V2000Z laptop. Only differences are I'm using Kubuntu and the bcmwl5.sys file form the compaq driver site for this computer. I thought everything was going great. The blue light came on after the driver install and it found my wireless network. But when I tried to connect, using Wireless Assistant in KDE it could not connect to the network. Now, the light is still on, iwconfig correctly identifies the device, but it no longer sees any wireless networks, even though there are two very strong ones in range. Any ideas?

I have a Turion 64, AMD64 version of Kubuntu 6.06, and 1GB RAM.

I saw another post of problems with this wireless device when the system has >1GB of RAM. Is there any merit to that?

I'm experiencing about the same problem. I have an Acer 5003 with AMD64 Ubuntu 6.06, 1Gb RAM of which 32 MB is taken by the graphics card, and a Turion 64 processor. I too can "see" wireless networks but I cannot connect to them, either via DHCP or static IP address.

Anyone else?

cc69
July 10th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Follow the steps (provided by Nickm)

1.Dealing with the installation of bcm43xx-fwcutter
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1071920#post1071920

2.The installation of the driver (provided by Vaan) found at;
http://sidulus.textdrive.com/bcmwl5sys.zip

1. sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter

2. sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/bcmwl5sys.zip

3.I couldnt get Newtwork manager to work. Instead i used the default Network Monitor which i installed by:

a) right clicking on the grey panel at top left of the time and date in an empty portion.

b) click on "Add to Panel"

c) scroll down to System Hardware section and click on "Network Monitor"

4. Reboot

Good luck:D

bluppfisk
July 10th, 2006, 07:45 PM
thanks a bunch, but no luck. Here's an error message I get when I use bcm43xx-fwcutter on bcmwl5.sys:

*****: Sorry, it's not posible to extract "bcm43xx_microcode11.fw".
*****: Extracting firmware from an old driver is bad. Choose a more recent one.
*****: Luckily bcm43xx driver doesn't include microcode11 uploads at the moment.
*****: But this can be added in the future...

fiddlesticks :) What's with the rebooting on UBuntu by the way? I was always told that you didn't have to reboot anything when on Linux, just the one service that required updating. Not on Ubuntu?

JoshNCSU22
July 10th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Guys I'm trying my best to get started with this but I cannot find a sources.list that will allow me to get bcm43xx-fwcutter or the network-manager-gnome. I've tried several different sources.list files and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me... here is a copy of my sources.list:

#deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 5.10 _Breezy Badger_ - Release i386 (20051012)]/ breezy main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch updated software from the network
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch major bug fix updates produced
## after the final release of the distribution.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy universe

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security universe

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy multiverse

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

McTek
July 11th, 2006, 06:35 AM
:) Got it working! Need one more screen showing the selection the eth port. Mine came up eht0 and the modem was on eth1.
Thanks and well done.

bluppfisk
July 11th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Hmm apparently it does work now. It's just that my network monitor or any program does not report anything about my signal strength and the LED on my acer does next to nothing. So I was still thinking that wireless didn't work.

finally linux is becoming attractive. Now WMV support.

blackb1rd
July 11th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Great howto, finally got it working (stable)! One question, is there some way to combine this solution with ethernet bonding in active/backup mode? That way a connection can continue to operate over wlan when unplugging the lan cable (and vica versa). Just as described at this Gentoo howto: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-430748.html. Already tried some bonding howto's from this forum, but the gnome network manager automatically reacts when unplugging the cable, instead of staying always connected to the wlan.

n00bWillingToLearn
July 11th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Guys I'm trying my best to get started with this but I cannot find a sources.list that will allow me to get bcm43xx-fwcutter or the network-manager-gnome. I've tried several different sources.list files and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me... here is a copy of my sources.list:

#deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 5.10 _Breezy Badger_ - Release i386 (20051012)]/ breezy main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch updated software from the network
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch major bug fix updates produced
## after the final release of the distribution.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy universe

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security universe

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy multiverse

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

They may not be available for breezy, is there any reason you havn't upgraded to dapper?

bluppfisk
July 11th, 2006, 08:00 PM
THAH! Now it stopped working _again_. I think I accidentally hit the Wireless button on the front side of my laptop when it was shutting down. And then I restarted and it's all gone again. Yes, it detects networks, no it can't connect. Yes the LED in the button sometimes flickers, no, eth1 won't become the active connection (doesn't stick).

time for me to get back to windows for a bit I guess. It's a shame because UBuntu really looked promising.

JoshNCSU22
July 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Apparently laziness...I suppose I should upgrade to dapper haha

JoshNCSU22
July 12th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Ok so I've updated to dapper and used apt-get to install both the bcm43xx-fwcutter and the network-manager-gnome. However when trying to complete step 4 I realize that I do not have any directories in the /lib/firmware directory. There are all the bcm43xx files but no directories? Any suggestions?? I can't really use 'sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-23-386 ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o' because that directory doesn't exist....I tried creating one but I dunno if I used the right numbers...

book
July 12th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks to Nickm's advice in this Howto, I finally got to see the power light on the Buffalo WLI-CB-G54S card. Presumably, the card now works as it is supposed to on my Thinkpad T23 with Ubuntu 6.06.

At first, when the card started to function, the bars indicating signal strenth showed up on the gnome desktop panel, but only then, whereafter the netmanager seems to have lost the wlans, showing now only the wired network (not in use). Wonder why.

Anyway, thank you very much.

- Mikael

mannequin
July 12th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Yes, it works well with Network Manager, all automagically once ndiswrapper is working properly!

And it isn't true that you should remove everything from /etc/network/interfaces. In fact, if I do that, Network manager can't see my wireless at all! This is what my /etc/network/interfaces looks like:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

#auto eth2
#iface eth2 inet dhcp

#auto ath0
#iface ath0 inet dhcp

#auto wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp

eth1 is my wireless. Also, network manager also automatically worked with WPA for me. As soon as I clicked on the wireless network, it detected the WPA and asked for my password.

This is how I installed ndiswrapper, in case it helps: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1105667&postcount=218
I used the windows drivers ASUS provided me with for the card.
Huh. I've tried it, and it doesn't work. :( I guess next time I pop around to my brother's house I'll try it again.

Thanks for sharing!
-M.

n00bWillingToLearn
July 12th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Ok so I've updated to dapper and used apt-get to install both the bcm43xx-fwcutter and the network-manager-gnome. However when trying to complete step 4 I realize that I do not have any directories in the /lib/firmware directory. There are all the bcm43xx files but no directories? Any suggestions?? I can't really use 'sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-23-386 ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o' because that directory doesn't exist....I tried creating one but I dunno if I used the right numbers...

I don't know why you don't have a diectory there, but the numbers are your current kernel version. The guide seems to suggest that that step may not be neccesary, did you try it to see if it works without that step?

JoshNCSU22
July 13th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Yeah I knew the numbers where my kernel version...but I don't know how exactly to get the most up to date version. Also, it says I have network-manager-gnome installed but I'm not sure how to start it...it didn't start automatically after I rebooted...

devillion
July 13th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Wow! Thanks. This worked first try for me, with an:

HP Pavilion DV5140 Notebook/AMD Turion64/Broadcom 4318

Thanks a ton. Ubuntu rocks. I can't believe how easy this is (compared to debian i tried a few years ago).

sigmason
July 13th, 2006, 08:08 PM
This is bad form, but I'll ask my question again.

Does any have their Broadcom chipset based card working in a manner in which it can be removed from the PCMCIA slot and does anyone have it working so that it reconnectes automatically after hibernation?

sigmason

n00bWillingToLearn
July 13th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Yeah I knew the numbers where my kernel version...but I don't know how exactly to get the most up to date version. Also, it says I have network-manager-gnome installed but I'm not sure how to start it...it didn't start automatically after I rebooted...
To find out what kernel version you have
uname -r
I don't know about network manager, it didn't work for me so I use wifi-radar. Have you tried entering the ESSID manually and connecting with System-> Admin-> Networking to test if your connection works at all?

mikeeve
July 15th, 2006, 02:04 AM
After 2 previous unsuccessful attempts, finally achieved success with this approach on an HP zx5000. Somewhat confusing since nm-applet doesn't show the bars for the wireless. I do have icons on the top line(panel?) for the wired and loopback interfaces. I didn't even realize the wireless was working until I unplugged the wired cable.

The previous 2 attempts, I tried to use the window's driver that came with the laptop. Seemed logical. This time I downloaded the wl_apsta.o driver.

betterliving
July 15th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Even this didn't work for me, sadly, though I'm dealing with a particularly odd situation... thanks anyway, though, great howto.

muzungu
July 15th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Using a Lenovo 1000 C100 with Ubuntu Dapper and latest Linux kernel. Not only did this NOT work for me, but once I was done I couldn't log back into my graphical user desktop.

Good thing the majority of OSS also works on Windows :-(

n00bWillingToLearn
July 16th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Using a Lenovo 1000 C100 with Ubuntu Dapper and latest Linux kernel. Not only did this NOT work for me, but once I was done I couldn't log back into my graphical user desktop.

Good thing the majority of OSS also works on Windows :-(

That is verry strange and I am not quite sure how something like that could happen:confused: Anyways, what in particular is the problem with logging in? X fails to load completely, password no longer works... This thread does not get much attention so I suggest posting a new thread detailing your problem.

CrazyDoode
July 16th, 2006, 03:43 PM
*updated to use a better driver*

It seems that if you get the following string back: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) that this guide is VERY unlikly to work for you although it does sometimes, dont ask me why, but basically every "no" vote and "this didnt work for me" post comes from a BCM4318 user....

I have this card on my dell inspiron 1300 and fwcutter refused to acknowledge the dell driver which worked fine under ndiswrapper. I then ran this command:
sudo /usr/share/bcm43xx-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh

which installs all the latest drivers and prevents you from pulling your hair out. aka: it worked!

I used this howto:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Dapper

S.nazari
July 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I used both the recommended file wl_ap... and the bcmwl5.sys from the link on this how to and from my cd rom for my hardware.
I still get no luck. Here are the details of my adventure in the bcm.txt file.

S.nazari
July 16th, 2006, 11:44 PM
I have this card on my dell inspiron 1300 and fwcutter refused to acknowledge the dell driver which worked fine under ndiswrapper. I then ran this command:

which installs all the latest drivers and prevents you from pulling your hair out. aka: it worked!

I used this howto:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Dapper

If you did not have any internet connection how did you mange to run that command. That command without any internet connection give s no results what so ever since it has to download some files from a website and then install them. Your post is no good to people who have no internet connection on their problem computer. i.e the one with the bcm car in it.

stuh505
July 17th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I have followed these instructions extremely carefully twice in a row now on a brand new ubuntu install. Both times it has damaged the system beyond repair such that it can only be booted into repair mode and all root commands fail to get rid of bcm43xx. Be forewarned...

edit -- using hp pavilion zx5078cl, bcm4306 (rev 3), dapper drake

mikeeve
July 17th, 2006, 11:12 PM
stuh505: Did you use the wl_apsta driver? My zx5000 worked with that driver, but not the bcm driver installed under Windows by HP. I also have built-in wireless with bcm4306, rev 3.

squidward_tentacles
July 19th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Im using a BCM4304802-11B, 7 hours(!) of following other threads/How-to's/Docs/wikis to no avail before I found this one golden thread! Works like a charm, (after a reboot and power-cycle of the modem and router) YOUR MY HERO!
.....now im going to try enabling WEP and see if it still works (shudders)
Anyway, Sterling How-To, Cheers!

Twinxor
July 19th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Very helpful little walkthrough! Could you explain the differences between using the native drivers and ndiswrapper?

Update: Works great so far! Oddly, that wl_apsta.o file failed the fwcutter checksum, but the zip file you provided worked ok. (Maybe I can figure out how to extract the file the card manufacturer provides...) Also, the system log contains a bunch of these messages:

[17179593.092000] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132

...but as long as they have no effect, it doesn't matter.

PP3RKut
July 19th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Thank you so so much... for some weird reason this worked for my Microsoft MN-720 Notebook adapter... which is wireless g... Anyone else who has this card... give it a try! Thank you!!

Twinxor
July 19th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Thank you so so much... for some weird reason this worked for my Microsoft MN-720 Notebook adapter... which is wireless g... Anyone else who has this card... give it a try! Thank you!!

Nothing weird about that -- Microsoft doesn't manufacture the chipset powering the wireless adapter, Broadcom does. That's why this works for Apple equipment, too.

PP3RKut
July 19th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Nothing weird about that -- Microsoft doesn't manufacture the chipset powering the wireless adapter, Broadcom does. That's why this works for Apple equipment, too.

Yeah I saw that on the device specs. But it is running in Wireless B mode, and it is made to run as a Wireless G card. How does that work out? I assume it is the same chipset that they stick in the B cards?

GabFromDenver
July 20th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Youhou! I happen to write to you thru my brand new wireless connection. Your tutorial helped me... well sort of. I have the very difficult BCM4318 network card that so many have problems with. I struggled for a long time, going thru ndiswrapper, wpa_supplicant, ... and a lot of reading. Well, I now know more about the whole wireless thing. Anyway, here is what I did to make it work:

Pre-requisites:
- Ubuntu Drapper
- Lynksys Wireless G - WPC54G v3

There are 6 easy steps:

1 - Download ubuntu script bcm43xx-fwcutter:

sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter

2 - Now install it (this I did differently from your tutorial, but I find it more simple):

3 - Install indeed the greatest network manager ever:

sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome

4 - Make sure your access point is using WPA TKIP (honestly, don't use WEP - that's an advice from a software engineer specialized in security) and choose a strong pre-shared key - you won't even have to remember it.

5 - Now the most important step that make it all work (please don't laught): go to sleep. Yep! ](*,) I hate to say it, but once I went thru your tutorial and realized it didn't work no matter how I tweaked the various settings, I remembered something I read on the net two weeks ago when I was desperately looking any info. So go head, there's nothing to do.

6 - In the morning, all fresh from a restful night, turn on your favorite OS and there you go! Have a good day my friends! :D

Gabriel

trevis
July 20th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Worked perfectly on the first try. Thanks.

Toady11
July 21st, 2006, 12:52 AM
Thanks! Worked great with my Inexq CR054g-009 based on the Broadcom 4306 Chipset.

drdeath666
July 25th, 2006, 04:50 AM
OK im not going to pretend to know what im doing... but I did this first time thru and it didnt work. (Network Manager wouldnt let me select or show up wireless at all, though it did say it was connected when I went to network connecetions)

Anyway this laptop is dual booting windows so I pulled the file out of the windows partition and placed it on the desktop.

I Tried:
sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-25-386 ~/Desktop/BCMWL5.SYS

But i got a Cannot open input file error.

What am i doing wrong :confused:

n00bWillingToLearn
July 25th, 2006, 08:00 AM
OK im not going to pretend to know what im doing... but I did this first time thru and it didnt work. (Network Manager wouldnt let me select or show up wireless at all, though it did say it was connected when I went to network connecetions)

Anyway this laptop is dual booting windows so I pulled the file out of the windows partition and placed it on the desktop.

I Tried:
sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-25-386 ~/Desktop/BCMWL5.SYS

But i got a Cannot open input file error.

What am i doing wrong :confused:

There are a few things that could be going wrong but first check to make sure the drivers are working before you mess with network-manager.To see if your card is working correctly go to a computer with working wireless ( or boot into windows ) and write down the SSID ( network name ) of the wireless connection you want to connect to. Then ( in Ubuntu ) go to System -> administration -> networking. Now select your wireless connection and go to properties. Enter the SSID and password ( if it's an open network just leave that blank ) and hit OK. If that works then you need to comment out the interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces
sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces Then comment out ( put a # at the beggining of ) all but the first two lines ( having to do with lo )

mikeeve
July 25th, 2006, 11:00 PM

I also tried the using the driver installed with Windows. It had a missing piece, and didn't work properly. So I downloaded the driver file the author suggests, and that worked fine.

lupine_nickt
July 26th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but the link to the .o file no longer works! I've found another copy here:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7759

maybe someone can update the first post?

xF,

...Nick

n00bWillingToLearn
July 28th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but the link to the .o file no longer works! I've found another copy here:

xF,

...Nick

I also made a zip file with the already extracted firmware files ( just copy them to /lib/firmware ) and put it on my web page I will keep the link up and it is more convienient to not have to deal with fwcutter. http://trogdoor.googlepages.com/firmware.zip

big_gie
July 28th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I must say that I tryed many firmwares for my 4306 card, many of them didn't worked.

I think it would be better if their was a kind of database on firmwares and their location, maybe on the wiki? Their are so many of them, so many different versions.

For me, the bcm43xx was to unstable to use. I'm back to ndiswrapper.

axle
July 29th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Hi, I got my wifi up and running no problem..... thanks for the guide!

Peace,
Stu

nickm
July 29th, 2006, 11:34 AM

xF,

...Nick

Sorry :) its updated now, this new forum layout still confuses me.
I'l host it myself.

wjbaird
July 29th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Wow! Thanks. Ndiswrapper has been a serious PITA to me for the last few months! This looks like it'll work so much better.

Chii
July 30th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Wow.... thank you very much for this guide! I recently reinstalled Ubuntu to take another crack at it after giving up due to ~2-3 weeks of frustration with WPA Supplicant and Ndiswrapper, and now I am happily using my wireless card on my laptop :)

Now I can start trying to learn other stuff on this finally!

Thank you again :)
Chii

Grudgebearer
August 2nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Ok, have gone through th steps listed, and my Belkin (Broadcom 4316) wireless card at least shows up now and the lights come on, but I still can't seem to pull a DHCP address, nor does the wireless icon show up on the top panel

When I run iwconfig, with my router set to broadcast the ESSID, WEP with a Hex key this is what I get...

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"SabbatMartyr" Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point:00:14:BF:39:26:D5
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=18 dBm
Link Quality=100/100 Signal level=2/3 Noise level=184/100
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:22 Rx invalid frag:0

Now, I have tried using a static IP address, and I have tried turning off WEP so that the access point is open and this is what iwconfig shows in both cases...

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"SabbatMartyr" Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: Invalid

I am not sure where to go with troubleshooting this issue at this point. Any insight will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Grudge

Bingdinger
August 3rd, 2006, 09:03 PM
Worked perfectly for me, Thanks Nick.

evilXhwnd
August 3rd, 2006, 09:38 PM
worked for me too. I have a

Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

Glarbl_Blarbl
August 4th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Running a Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) on a dell inspiron 5100.. Got the wireless connected, but there's some weirdness with the bit rate. It silently accepts a "sudo iwconfig eth1 rate 54M", and a subsequent iwconfig shows 54 Mb/s - but the nm-applet still shows 11 Mb/s...

Which one should I believe? My throughput to the ubuntu repositories is about 50Kb/s slower than it normally is on the wired connection, but since my DSL only goes at about 800K I thought that it should be the same regardless of my LAN speed... Am I making an incorrect assumption?

EDIT:
Where would I configure the nm-applet to force a particular WLAN to run in 802.11g? Unfortunately, the applet doesn't seem to be very well documented :( ..

Darth Lukan
August 4th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Dude! You are the man!I'm new to Kubuntu but have been using Gentoo for a while now but decided to try a new distro for my new lapbox with wireless. Your howto had me running in about five minutes! Thank you very much! I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that use winhole that will be converting to linux, specifically ubuntu very soon.

nickm
August 4th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Running a Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) on a dell inspiron 5100.. Got the wireless connected, but there's some weirdness with the bit rate. It silently accepts a "sudo iwconfig eth1 rate 54M", and a subsequent iwconfig shows 54 Mb/s - but the nm-applet still shows 11 Mb/s...

Which one should I believe? My throughput to the ubuntu repositories is about 50Kb/s slower than it normally is on the wired connection, but since my DSL only goes at about 800K I thought that it should be the same regardless of my LAN speed... Am I making an incorrect assumption?

EDIT:
Where would I configure the nm-applet to force a particular WLAN to run in 802.11g? Unfortunately, the applet doesn't seem to be very well documented :( ..

you should believe the 11mbps as i dont think your wireless now looks to iwconfig for its settings. and yes, an 802.11b connection should be sufficiant, its capable of about 4mb/s sustained transfer so aslong as your internet speed is less than 4mb you shouldn't see a slowdown.

Hope that helps :)

Rickshaw Driver
August 5th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Ok, I have one of the AirForce one cards and it is working after this so thank you. I do have one question though. I downloaded the NetworkManager Applet 0.6.2 as per your instructions, but it only shows information when I am wired. I have no choice to display the wireless information. Can anyone give me some direction on this please?

vbr00t
August 5th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Ok got to tell you love the tut it works Great with a little modding here and there i have the bcm4318 and i thought it wouldent work but hey i managed to get it to work with the help of your tut thank you very much.:D

Buelldozer
August 7th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I have an HP Pavilion ze2000 and the original instructions (first post) worked fine...with a couple of changes.

First, I am a KDE guy so I didn't install the gnome applet, I used the KDE one (KNetwork manager) which worked fine under KDE 3.5.4 on Dapper. You have to manually install this, it doesn't come by default.

Second, I used fwcutter to extract the firmware (bcm43xx_microcode5.fw) from my *actual* Windows driver.

Third, you need to go into /etc/network/interfaces and comment out everything but the loopback (lo) adaptor. If you leave any other lines in there it will throw knetworkmanager into a tizzy and you will not be able to connect to any wireless networks. This holds true for the gm-applet as well.

Fourth, installed wpa_supplicant and rebooted.

Done! My BroadCom AirForce One Rev 02 card is now running on my Pavilion with the 686 (32 bit) kernel. I can connect to both WPA protected networks here at the office. 8)

yaromaster
August 7th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Hi my name is Pawel and I did every thing in the tutorial. My wirless broadcom card b/g is working, I see the light. I have the good signal streanght but i cannot connect to the internet(my router is only G). Please help me. I am new to the linux.

Bruhthakuga
August 7th, 2006, 11:11 PM
My Dear Ubuntu Friend,
I am having trouble understanding some details of your instructions, I do understand them up to 4B. There you said, “4B ) Extract your Cards firmware from the driver
Just to be safe we'l put the driver in the kernel folder too”.
Then you gave to code to enter to get that done,

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-25-386 ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

Then you said, “Replace the 2.6.15-23-386 part with the most up to date folder in there, you may have to repeat this step each time the kernel is updated or you may not, your results may vary.

There are only two folder in there and they are:
2.6.15-26-amd64-generic
2.6.15-23-amd64-generic,
What do I do about the symble, “ ~ ”, ? Is that part of the command or part of file name?

When you say, “Note The location and name of the .o file for this command may differ in your case, if you really get stuck type bcm43xx-fwcutter and then hit space, find your file using the GUI and then drag and drop it into the terminal.” I don't know what you mean, what is an .o file? There are no file with .o as a suffix in the firmware folder.

I made a copy of the terminal showing everything I did after I finished, maybe you can see what I did wrong:

nine@nine-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter
Password:
bcm43xx-fwcutter is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
nine@nine-laptop:~$ sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
fwcutter can cut the firmware out of /home/nine/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
filename : wl_apsta.o
version : 3.130.20.0
MD5 : e08665c5c5b66beb9c3b2dd54aa80cb3

extracting bcm43xx_microcode2.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode5.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_microcode11.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm4.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_pcm5.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval01.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval02.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval03.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval04.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval05.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval06.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval07.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval08.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval09.fw ...
extracting bcm43xx_initval10.fw ...
nine@nine-laptop:~$ sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-26-amd64-generic/Desktop/wl_apsta.o fwcutter 20060108

Usage: bcm43xx-fwcutter [OPTION] [driver.sys]
-l|--list List supported driver versions
-i|--identify Only identify the driver file (don't extract)
-w|--target-dir DIR Extract and write firmware to DIR
-p|--postfix ".FOO" Postfix for firmware filenames (.FOO.fw)
-v|--version Print fwcutter version
-h|--help Print this help

Example: bcm43xx-fwcutter bcmwl5.sys
to extract the firmware blobs from bcmwl5.sys
nine@nine-laptop:~$ sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-26~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
fwcutter 20060108

nine@nine-laptop:~$

n00bWillingToLearn
August 7th, 2006, 11:28 PM
nine@nine-laptop:~$ sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-26-amd64-generic/Desktop/wl_apsta.o fwcutter 20060108

nine@nine-laptop:~$ sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-26~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
fwcutter 20060108

That last command shoud be
sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-26 ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
It looks like you just forgot the space in between the two directories in the command and BTW ~ is short for your home directory so ~/Desktop is the same as /home/yourUserName/Desktop :)

Bruhthakuga
August 8th, 2006, 12:56 AM
n00bWillingToLearn,
This is the results of entering the code you sugested, Is this good? The part that say, "No such file or directory" is of concern to me.

nine@nine-laptop:~$ sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-26 ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
Password:

/lib/firmware/2.6.15-26/bcm43xx_microcode2.fw: No such file or directory

Bruhthakuga
August 8th, 2006, 01:36 AM
In instruction 4B: ) Extract your Cards firmware from the driver
Just to be safe we'l put the driver in the kernel folder too

and the code givin was: sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-25-386 ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

And in instruction 4 ) Extract your Cards firmware from the driver
Open a terminal (dont worry) and type the following:

and the code givin was: sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

Couldn't I just copy the file, "bcm43xx_microcode2.fw" from /lib/firmware folder and paste it in the /lib/firmware/2.6.15-26-amd64-generic folder? Also if it found it once to put it into the firmware folder why wasn't it available for the 2.6.15.-26-amd64-generic folder?

OK! OK! I admit, I may have did something. . . well stupid, I proceeded on to the instruction: 5 ) Install Network Manager
I find that this is the best way to manage wireless connections
Code:

sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome

and after that it locked up and nothing responded so I turned it off. There I said it. Is my notebook going to explode? Should I take cover?

n00bWillingToLearn
August 8th, 2006, 01:53 AM
n00bWillingToLearn,
This is the results of entering the code you sugested, Is this good? The part that say, "
No such file or directory" is of concern to me.

nine@nine-laptop:~$ sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-26 ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
Password:

/lib/firmware/2.6.15-26/bcm43xx_microcode2.fw: No such file or directory

My fault there, it should be
sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-26-amd64-generic ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o or
sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/`uname -r` ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o Although I don't have my Ubuntu machine right now so I am not sure, that is just from memory.

mxa055
August 8th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Hi there,

I followed the guide exactly and everything works although I have a
Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
(had to blacklist ndiswrapper)

The only problem is that I don't get an icon of network-manager-gnome :shock: Any ideas why this is happening?
Also my wireless connection is called eth1 instead of wlan0 but that is really ok with me.

Thanks for the great guide.

Bruhthakuga
August 8th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Ubuntu Friends,
I have been help very much by user on this thread,However, I am in need of help with the last hurdle. I have a Compaq Presario V2570NR notebook which have a Tourion64 ML34, 1Gig of cheep Ram and the Broadcom BCM4318 ver.2 wireless network card and this is where I am at, I have successfully, so it may seem, completed all instruction up to (5), and with a squeeky clean install. On previous attemtps I had lock-up at this code:

I sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome

It wouldn't boot up successfully after it.

In a book called Linux Desktop by Davod Brickner it was sugested that I use KDE's Kwifimanager and so that is what I did. Prehaps it should be known that at this time and to update and to download files I am and was using a Netgear WG511T card Which the KwifiManager does seem to work with. When I enter ipconfig I get the following output:

nine@nine-laptop:~$ ipconfig
bash: ipconfig: command not found
nine@nine-laptop:~$ iwconfig

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:off/any Nickname:"Broadcom 4318"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: Invalid

ath0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"John 17:3 Taking in, not Took in"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:90:4B:7E:7A:5B
Bit Rate:24 Mb/s Tx-Power:18 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=41/94 Signal level=-54 dBm Noise level=-95 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:12 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:2 Invalid misc:2 Missed beacon:0

I actually do have a copy of everyting I done in the terminal as I save it to look back and to show other who may help me so they can see what I have done. What should I do now?

gwilki5691
August 8th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the easy to follow instructions but it seems i'm another unfortunate with a BCM4318 controller as it didn't work for me either. I was hopeful when I managed to enable the wireless hardware and scan for networks. However my wifi manager thinks there is no signal.

I have had a partial success following this post, for which I am grateful. I will check out the other posts you mention though.

Thanks again:p ,

G.

davers007
August 9th, 2006, 04:22 AM
My wireless card is the troublesome Linksys WPC54G and I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router on a 4 year old Toshiba Satellite 5105-S501 laptop. Here is my wireless card:

0000:03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

Right out of the box, Ubuntu recognized that I had a wireless card. I followed the instructions on http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5645 to install the ndiswrapper. Afterwards, nothing changed.

I then followed the instructions on http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185174 to update the firmware and installed network-manager-gnome. This allowed me to actually see my access point. I can see the access point now and the wireless interface is active and I can get the scan to work. However, it still won't connect to the network, even if it's unsecured. My iwconfig eth1 reads the following:

eth1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Power Management:off

My /etc/modules file reads the following:

lp
psmouse
sbp2
sr_mod
ndiswrapper

My /etc/network/interfaces file reads the following:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto ppp0
iface ppp0 inet dhcp

I'm new to Linux but am frustrated that after a couple weeks I still can't get this working. Can someone point me in the right direction?

mangloid
August 9th, 2006, 05:33 AM
I got my BCM4318 card working using the instructions in this thread.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=145730

Although the differences are; mine didnt rename to wlan0, it stayed eth0, and I manually confingured ( setting ap, channel, key, ect ) but its working!.

WalmartSniperLX
August 10th, 2006, 06:36 AM
For some reason that lil note about the .o file is hitting me hard cuz i think im having a problem finding the right file or something rather. :confused:

Buelldozer
August 10th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Davers007,

Go into your /etc/network/interfaces file and comment out everything after "auto lo
iface lo inet loopback"

The gnome network manager will NOT work correctly unless you do this! I'm not "good" enough to know if that is your only problem, but it sure is one of your problems at least.

Anyway, when you're done your file should look like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

#auto eth1
#iface eth1 inet dhcp

#auto ppp0
#iface ppp0 inet dhcp

bigspottycat
August 10th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Finally got my Belkin F5D7011 wireless card working once I found this thread. Never used Linux before, let alone Ubuntu, so it's good to see there is so much support for rookies like me.

I did find that this HOWTO only worked after a clean install but following the directions exactly did the job.

Many thanks.:p

csann
August 11th, 2006, 12:52 AM
I have found out exactly how to get Wifi working if it has one of those miseable Broadcom chips in it. R E P L A C E I T!

That's right. Replace the sucker. I just received 2 brand new Intel 8200GB miniPCI cards. I installed on my my wifes Dell Inspiron 8200. She runs Windows. Booted it up with the new card, installed a driver. And it worked.

Did the same with my Dell Inspiron 8600 under Windows. Worked prefectly. Both laptops reported a considerably better signal strength with the new cards.

Then took out the Winders drive and put the Ubuntu hard drive in the Inspiron 8600. Booted. Turned on the Wifi. And it worked. Didn't even have to install anything. Very cool. Adios Windows.

The only problem is that I don't have any way to see the signal strength. Something seems to be screwed up there but it is probably related to all the screwing around I had to do to try to get the evil Broadcom working.

Anyone want to buy a Broadcom card? Cheap.

Clark

WalmartSniperLX
August 11th, 2006, 02:52 AM
OK GOT IT EXTRACTED BUT i did the wrong driver :( How do i remove the files in the firmware dir that i made. I wanna remove these so i can put the correct driver in. Please help :confused: !!

WalmartSniperLX
August 11th, 2006, 03:18 AM
wow i tried both drivers and nothing worked

n00bWillingToLearn
August 11th, 2006, 08:26 AM
OK GOT IT EXTRACTED BUT i did the wrong driver :( How do i remove the files in the firmware dir that i made. I wanna remove these so i can put the correct driver in. Please help :confused: !!
I don't have my linux machine at hand ( in for repair, using my parents machine ) so if someone could check these comands it would be great.

What you need to do is
sudo rm /lib/firmware/*.fw
sudo rm /lib/firmware/`uname -r`/*.fw

{NmE}
August 11th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Ok, your guide was ver good. It has gotten me to the point where I can at least activate my wireless card.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~BUT~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It still will not work. :(

When I go to the connections all I can select is eth0 (wired) and the loop back :(

I've tried to set my wireless card as the Default gateway device in my network settings, but every time I select it all it does is freeze up for a few seconds and close, without saving the changes.. Anyone got any ideas?

madmanwashere
August 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM
This worked for me running Dapper 6.06 and I do have: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02). But it took a little luck. I have an HP laptop with a handy wireless button above the keyboard. After following this howto, even using the wl_apsta.o driver, it didn't work. I gave up after awhile and booted xp( reqd for school :-# ) and noticed the wireless was disabled. Now, in linux the blue light showing wireless was on all the time so I didn't hit the button or mess with it, but in windows I enabled it by hitting the button and the next time I booted into linux it worked! :D So, in linux, while it's working I hit the wireless button and it still enables/disables the wireless, but the blue light stays on, and there is no indication enabled/disabled. The only way to tell is if it works or not... So if you follow this howto and get the blue light, and it still doesn't work try hitting a hardware enable/disable button. Now off to see if I can get wpa working :p

Thanks again for this GREAT howto!

bsmith1051
August 12th, 2006, 01:15 AM
this worked on my Compaq Presario 2100 (model no 2915US) with the Broadcom 4306 wi-fi. I had to use the .sys file from the Windows driver on HP.com.

Question: Why isn't this post a sticky in the Wireless Support forum?

Some suggestions for further improvement:
1. If your wi-fi is shown in System > Administration > Networks but says "inactive", is that a sure sign that you don't have the right driver? Currently, the instructions don't specify anything about this, I don't think.

2. when you talk about extracting the firmware a second time (to the kernel sub-dir) you make mention of checking for the latest dir name, but I had to read the instructions a second time before I 'got' it. I would suggest making it a separate step, i.e., open Places, browse to /lib/firmware, and identify the appropriate dir.

Thanks again! I could *NOT* have done it without you.

Melcar
August 12th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Excellent guide. I have a BCM4318 (the chips that are not suppose to work with this guide). At first it took me a while and was about to give up, until I decided to follow the guide from the beggining STEP BY STEP. I'm posting using my laptop now:) . The thing that really screwed me over each time was that I always skipped part 4B (the saving to the kernel part) because I thought it was not necessary due to the wording of the guide (it does say "just to be safe";) ). Maybe I was just lucky, but it did worked for me.

Edit: By the way, I have a Compaq V2000Z laptop with a Broadcom wireless chip.

kograt
August 12th, 2006, 11:08 PM
bcm43xx module kills the Acer 5024 WLMI when X server starts. Looks like linux dies inside bcm43xx xmit interup handler. I do not test anythink an have no lot of debuinfo but be crefull when going this guide with that hardware. Linux will hung on the next boot after graphical login prompt displays. It is possible to load it in failsafe mode and rmmod bcm43xx. After that all looks fine but the wireless.

Linux acer 2.6.15-26-amd64-k8 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 3 03:11:38 UTC 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Melcar
August 13th, 2006, 06:08 AM
I guess I spoke to soon. Today I suffered the first signal drops (it would find networks but not connect). Now it just refuses to work. I will try going thru the setup process again.

Edit: It seems to work most of the time but at times it just refuses to work. Anybody find a 100% way to get Broadcom chips to work? I love Ubuntu, but it's kinda hard to have a laptop without wireless support:( .

Melcar
August 13th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I tried it againg today. This time I used the bcmwl5.sys driver instead of the wl_apsta.o one. Followed the same process as outlined in the begginig of this thread. So far it has proven more stable (no signal drops or refusing to work).

ffadmraven
August 13th, 2006, 09:46 PM
$iwconfig
lo...

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:off/any Nickname: "Broadcom 4318"
Mode: Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: Invalid
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=18dBm

eth0.....

rjstevens3: the problem is where it says access point: invalid.

The quick fix for this would be to type in a terminal the folowing:

sudo iwconfig eth1 ap any

This should then alllow the card to pick up the available access points. I would suggest adding that line to your /etc/network/interfaces file as well that way you don't have to retype it every time you restart your networking.

Edit:
Of course if I had read the entire line of replies I might have notice the answer was already given. Sometimes I get ahead of myself, oh well.

enjahova
August 14th, 2006, 01:59 AM
I have a broadcom 4310

I followed these instructions and I can see all the AP around me in Network Manager just fine. It says I am connected at full strength The only problem is that I still cannot get internet access. My ip address in network tools shows a very strange IP.

What am I missing?

UNHOLYwoo
August 14th, 2006, 07:16 AM
nickm, I think I love you. Thanks for the HOWTO, worked flawlessly.

toosweetnitemare
August 14th, 2006, 01:40 PM
i thought i was a great post to get the cards working, yet mine still does not

0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705M Gigabit Ethernet (rev 01)
0000:02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

this is what i am working with. do you have anyideas on why it didnt work? or how to get it going? if you need any information just ask

edit: just ignor this, a few reboots fixed everything. thanks again for the great how-to

gholen
August 15th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Thanks man, you saved my day, and my mothers!
This HOWTO was plain and simple one of the best I've read, and I've read a lot :)

Your work with this one is quite good and I love it.
Now I can save those 400 SEK that I've saved, and by something better(maybe some more RAM) :mrgreen:

Belive me, after having to play a lot with ndiswrapper, nothing is funny anymore, and then this. It takes the fun back in computing :-D

Thanks again!

Necro-File
August 15th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Great HOWTO but you should add that if you use network manager, you need to comment out all the lines from /etc/network/interfaces that refer to your wireless card in order for NetworkManager to manage your connection. :D

kob0724
August 18th, 2006, 03:45 AM
I followed this to a T, but I can still only select wired network from the network manager. What should I do next?

pyxu619
August 19th, 2006, 01:13 AM
nickm, you are soooo great. I works without a glitch. I have a broadcom 54g Airforce. The only thingis that I need to use a combination of markmcspadden way and yours to extract the firmware. I moved the bcmwl5.sys and bcmwl5.inf to desktop. Then type the following code in console to extract
sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/2.6.15-26-386 ~/Desktop/bcmwl5.sys

Cheers!!! :)

K.Mandla
August 20th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks for this. I got the wireless (a 4306) going on an HP Pavilion zv6000 with this method.

Cheers, all! :mrgreen:

oldguy46
August 20th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I have a Dell XPS 140

0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (re v 02)

Will this HowTO work with the Broadcom BCM4401

Under System/Device Manager I found
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 BG

thanks for any help
og46

gholen
August 21st, 2006, 12:13 AM
Great HOWTO as I said before, but I have this strange problem.

The Wireless are working just fine for an hour os so, then it disconnects](*,)
Anyone with the same problem? Or better yet, a workaround?

Thanks

spd106
August 21st, 2006, 02:51 PM
I have a Dell XPS 140

0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (re v 02)

Will this HowTO work with the Broadcom BCM4401

Under System/Device Manager I found
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 BG

thanks for any help
og46

According to the wiki https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsWiredNetworkCards your Broadcom card is supported natively. The Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 BG card should also work without problem.

Xirto
August 22nd, 2006, 02:33 AM
Thank you so much for this guide!

oldguy46
August 23rd, 2006, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the response. I played a little with it and it does seem to recognize the wifi card. It is not as convenient as the Windoze interface. (ie. reporting all wifi signals with strength and info) Would WifiRadar and/or NetworkManager work better? I am using the System:Networking interface so far.
I am working 95% in Ubuntu now and liking it much better than XP.
Thanks again
og46

mooskradio
August 23rd, 2006, 06:24 AM
Worked great, thanks. I'm using the BCM4318 and it still worked fine.

I saw the warning and tried to get it working with ndiswrapper, but it wasn't working and I didn't feel like debugging, so on a whim I blacklisted ndiswrapper and used this method.

ghlen, I had a similar problem, actually - the network manager applets kept on... I don't know what, shutting off the wireless card or something (couldn't find any access points until reboot) while I was using it and occasionally even freezing the computer and forcing a hard reboot, so I use iwconfig and dhclient on the command line. Other than that, no problems. If you need an explanation of how to do that, just ask.

jaybmx
August 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
worked fine using the bcmwl5sys.zip drivers on a Dell Latitude D610 laptop...

Great thread! Thanks!

kob0724
August 23rd, 2006, 06:35 PM
What does this mean?

*****: Sorry, it's not posible to extract "bcm43xx_microcode11.fw".
*****: Extracting firmware from an old driver is bad. Choose a more recent one.
*****: Luckily bcm43xx driver doesn't include microcode11 uploads at the moment.*****: But this can be added in the future...

I tried it the first way with wl_apsta.o and that didn't work. When i tried it with bcmwl5.sys I got this error. Whats going on?

peregrine
August 24th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Hey guys this is the Broadcom Chipset I have

I have a Compaq R4000 with the Amd Athalon 64. I have 1.256g of ram and the Ati Mobility Xpress 200m(and I had a easier time with this then the wireless).

Okay I tried your tutorial. I tried the ndiswrapper part.

With the bcm43xx I got the light to come on and for the very first try it worked. Then it stopped being able to connect to any wireless connection. Which is wierd cause nothing would make it work.

So then I blacklisted bcm43xx and tried the ndiswrapper. To no avail. It would make my wireless light turn on and off untill I rebooted then it would wait a while and start over.

So then I blacklisted ndiswrapper and removed the old bcm43xx driver files from lib/firmware and tried again. I tried both the wl_apasta.o and the bcmwl5.sys they both failed.

Right now I'm on my knees begging for a option for this stuff. Maybe I did something wrong with ndiswrapper or maybe something wrong with bcm43xx. But please somebody help me.

If you want to pm me or just reply I would really appreciate it.

Peregrine.

zytsef
August 24th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Using a Dell Latitude D600 with TrueMobile 1400 (bcm4309) on 6.06 here. Every time I try to load the driver the system hard locks. Any ideas? Also, wondering why the version of fwcutter in the repository doesn't seem to work on a lot of the drivers mentioned in the README.

kekojeep
August 24th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Hi people,

I am having a weird problem with my Broadcom 4306 on a HP zv5466 laptop.. I use a wireless router at home, with other laptops (still on XP, as soon as my is ready I'll begin converting the others to Ubuntu :) ).. the router is configured with WPA, and all the other computers can use it with no problem, at 54m on XP, even I used that before switching to Ubuntu.. well, after some fight and learning I got to do all the networkmanager-fwcutter process, and got Wi-Fi working.. almost.. I can connect to my home network, but only once after some 10 trials.. and ALWAYS when I try to connect, my router hangs, then I wait for it to reboot, then I keep trying to connect, some tries after it accepts and I get connected, working 100% until I turn off and try to connect again, then it begins all again.. Not to mention the complaints of the family each time I hang the router and kill all their connections :D

I have tried to connect to open wireless networks on lan-houses, it even connects but doesn't navigate on any page.. then if I try to disconnect and reconnect I can't connect anymore.. it's some sort of luck, I can't see no relation between when I can't connect and the few chances I actually get connected..

My dmesg says something about

SoftMAC: Authentication timed out with 00:03:c9:8c:a0:62
and
eth1: no IPv6 routers present

What do you need to know to be able to hekp me (dmesg, lspci)? I can't stand using these wires anymore ](*,) :) If some gentle friend would help me solve this annoyance, I would really appreciate!

[ ]'s still on ethernet for now

kekojeep
August 25th, 2006, 12:24 AM
PS: Why is it showing up H.E.K.P when I wrote H.E.L.P ?

oldguy46
August 25th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Still trying to get my Dell XPS140 working on wirless.

I loaded Widi-Radar and now I can see that the computer is seeing the wrt54G and correctly noting b or g speeds. It mentions mode=Master (what does that mean) and shows four bars signal strength. The essid is what the router is set to.

When I click connect, it says 'acquiring IP address' ... then 'done'. But the address it shows when not hooked to the ethernet cable is 127.0.0.1. I know that this is the loop back. (About all that I know :) )

When the ethernet cable is plugged in, it shows an IP of 192.168.1.103 Shoudn't I get something similar when on wireless.

I have tryed with the route set to WPA, WEP, and open. No Joy.

Any help appreciated,
og46

peregrine
August 25th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Okay as I said before I have a Compaq R4000 with the BCM4318 chipset and with many people it doesn't seem to work. BUT THERE IS HOPE and it comes with one action.

Okay I scoured this thread and found one simple reply that fixed my problem.

1. Follow this guide completely (prolly using the bcmwl5.sys)
2. Restart and check if the light is on.
3. Check if you have a connection to the internet.
If you have a connection your done congradulations!(if not continue)
4. Simply press the button to turn on/off the wirless.
5. Check if you have a connection.

You should have a connection! Congrats.

It seems the current drivers keep the light on no matter what. And I don't know why but it eluded me forever. This is perfect I'd like to change my vote from 'No' to 'Yes' but your going to have to take a mental Tally.

Thanks for the great easy to use guide.

Peregrine.

jseldon
August 25th, 2006, 08:39 AM
EDIT: I finally did as the poster above mentioned and tried using the wireless enable button and got it working. Once I figure out how to automate the process I'll let everyone know.

James

---

I have a Dell Truemobile 1450 (Broadcom 4309) that just won't work. The card shows up as a pci device, I've got firmware in there but when it goes to grab an ip it returns the following error:

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP) : eth1: link is not ready

This is not too surprising however since I seem to have no signal either:

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID: off/any Nickname: "Broadcom 4306"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.484 GHz Access Point: Invalid
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
RTS thr: off Fragment thr: off
Encryption key: off
Link Quality: 0 Signal level: 0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid: 0 Rx invalid crypt: 0 Rx invalid frag: 0
Tx excessive retries: 0 Invalid misc: 0 Missed beacon: 0

The card is loading the firmware as it certainly is enabled but just doesn't seem to get any link to my router. I've seen a few people with this same error and didn't see a solution, any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

James

DieMongo
August 26th, 2006, 11:03 AM
This is an excellent guide, and I just want to add a note:

In the beginning two things is assumed - one is a recommended reinstall of the os. I was very close doing this, because I've tried all kindz of suggestions posted on the web regarding this problem. BEFORE YOU GIVE UP AND REINSTALL THE OS you should follow one of the bottom links referred in this guide, and try the two steps here below - they worked for me! (and you should know that I'm running WPA-PSK)
Needles to say - I know - but do a backup of these two files before editing :razz:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx#head-cf3f0ec9146ae9441b39c4bed74e5d044ef78d2f

- the important text from this link is dumped here:

1.3. NetworkManager

As of kernel 2.6.15-20, the driver appears to play nice with NetworkManager and nm-applet. When trying this,
1) make sure wpasupplicant is disabled in /etc/default/wpasupplicant and
2) all lines referring to the wireless card in /etc/network/interfaces are commented out.

- o -

kob0724
August 26th, 2006, 05:06 PM
So My wireless connection works. I'm up and running. However, the newtork manager says I have no connection. This obviously isn't true because I wouldn't be able to type this otherwise. Anyone have any ideas. Are there other network monitors I could try?

On another note, any body know a good WEP/WPA client?

superkikim
August 27th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Hi there... An excellent howto. Thank you so much. I've lost 8 hours today trying to make my wireless work with WPA.

A note for Dell users:

I have a Dell Latitude X300 with a Truemobile 1300 (BCM4306). I first tried with the driver provided on Dell website. It failed. At boot, my system was hanging with a "blabla suspend failed"... (don't remember exactly)

I then tried NDISWRAPPER... Very difficult to install and make it work. It didn't work obviously (with the same driver).

I finally came back on this thread, and I tried with the recommended driver. IT WORKED !!! easy.... So, just tried that driver whatever you have for a manufacturer. If it is a BCM43xx chip, try it. ;)

Melcar
August 27th, 2006, 03:23 AM
So frustrating, really. This is the only guide that sort of works for me. Ndiswrapper just gives me the finger each time. I'm using the bcmwl5.sys driver (the other one does not work for me) and can get my wireless connection working on the first try. It works until for some reason it decides to drop the signal, and if I'm lucky it will reconnect, otherwise only a reboot will get it going again (sometimes pressing the wireless key on the laptop fixes it). After a while, it would just stop working no matter what I do to it.

pedwards
August 27th, 2006, 07:13 AM
hey all,

im having a problem and was wondering if i could get pointed in the right direction?

i followed this guide EXACTLY and it worked perfectly. ive been a long time ndiswrapper user, but i really wanted to be able to use network-manager. things were great untill i rebooted from 164 updates (this guide was the first thing i did after the install cd)
Once i rebooted network-manager cant access wireless devices. I am still able to use my wireless card but just not with network-manager
is there some issue with network manager when it changes from the 23 to 26?

here are my specs.
dell 1150
broadcom 4306

thanks!

n00bWillingToLearn
August 27th, 2006, 09:26 AM
hey all,

im having a problem and was wondering if i could get pointed in the right direction?

i followed this guide EXACTLY and it worked perfectly. ive been a long time ndiswrapper user, but i really wanted to be able to use network-manager. things were great untill i rebooted from 164 updates (this guide was the first thing i did after the install cd)
Once i rebooted network-manager cant access wireless devices. I am still able to use my wireless card but just not with network-manager
is there some issue with network manager when it changes from the 23 to 26?

here are my specs.
dell 1150
broadcom 4306

thanks!

This is just a guess, but sometimes when you update some configuration files get updated also so you might want to check your /etc/network/interfaces to see if all but the lines containing 'lo' are commented out ( as others have mentioned, not having these commented out may prevent network manager from showing those interfaces ).

prozaconstilts
August 27th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I'm having a hard time getting my Broadcom 4309 to work on my Latitude D800. I clean installed, and immediately follwed the instructions, using the recommended wl_apsta.o driver. After fwcutter installed the .fw files to /lib/firmware and /lib/firmware/2.6.15-26-386, I went to install network-manager-gnome, and my system froze.

I then restarted in recovery mode to see what was happening. I saw the loading of the bcm43xx driver with no "cannot find microcode4.fw" errors, which I saw before installing the firmware. The boot-up continued for a short time (3-5 secs) and then froze again.

I booted off the LiveCD, mounted my hard drive, and removed the .fw files. I could then boot fine.

I then attempted to use the driver that came with my drivers disk, as well as the newest driver from Dell's website, but fwcutter could not extract the .fw files from either one.

lspci output:

0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705M Gigabit Ethernet (rev 01)
0000:02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g (rev 02)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Globe_Trekker
August 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Worked like a charm! Thanks! :D

NightwishFreak
August 29th, 2006, 12:52 AM
I followed the guide and all seemed to be going well, until i tried to connect to a network. (I'm using a broadcom 4306 airport extreme BTW). I can scanand see all available networks, but cannot connect to any. when i check my logfiles, i see this:
robert@robert-laptop:/var/log$ tail -f messages
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055603] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055612] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055621] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055629] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055638] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055647] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1134
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055656] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1134
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055665] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1134
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055673] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1134
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.066685] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready Is this maybe a driver problem?? any info would be appreciated.

rgargett
August 31st, 2006, 12:20 AM
Wonderful post! Easy to follow and ultimately successful!

I almost gave up until I thought to turn on the broadcast of the SSID for my network. After that it worked just like it should.

Thanks for all your work in writing this post.

revdev
August 31st, 2006, 06:23 AM
I have a Belkin F5D7001 PCI and this guide worked great! It took me five minutes and it worked first try. It probably would have taken less than 2 minutes if i hadn't had to download the files in XP and then boot back. Thanks so much!

big_gie
August 31st, 2006, 02:13 PM
I followed the guide and all seemed to be going well, until i tried to connect to a network. (I'm using a broadcom 4306 airport extreme BTW). I can scanand see all available networks, but cannot connect to any. when i check my logfiles, i see this:
robert@robert-laptop:/var/log$ tail -f messages
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055603] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055612] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055621] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055629] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055638] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1132
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055647] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1134
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055656] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1134
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055665] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1134
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.055673] bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1134
Aug 28 20:40:41 localhost kernel: [ 3034.066685] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready Is this maybe a driver problem?? any info would be appreciated.

bcm43xx driver is not yet finished. This is why you get those TODO warnings. They are ment for the developpers. I think (I could be wrong) this is not related to your problem.

If nothing works, I highly suggest you try another firmware. I've tryed around 10 of them, from the original Dell driver to the more general one avaible from the .o file. I was surprised to see that the driver used in windows couldn't be extracted by bcm43xx-fwcutter. You need to experiment...

For me, bcm43xx wasn't stable enough on my 4306 (can't remember the revision) card. I'm back to ndiswrapper, and can use NetworkManager without any trouble (WPA psk, no SSID broadcast).

Old Pink
August 31st, 2006, 03:18 PM
Worked for me, thanks alot. :)

I'm posting from my Buffalo g54 WiFi card and Ubuntu, thanks to you! :D

Should add, if you want the WiFi to work at startup, download "Wireless Assistant" using Add/Remove, and set the preference to "close once connection is made" (or similar)

Then, put "sudo wlassistant" in the startup list.

groberts1980
September 1st, 2006, 08:01 PM
I've installed bcm43xx-fwcutter, following the guide, but when I get to this point:

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

I get:

Cannot open input file /home/smistir/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

I cannot find the file wl_apsta.o in my filesystem. Its certainly not on the desktop. Is that where the command is pointing it out to be?

big_gie
September 1st, 2006, 08:52 PM
The file "wl_apsta.o" is the file containing the firmware that need to be extracted by bcm43xx-fwcutter.

Since there is many firmware for different cards, and different versions of those firmware, you will need some experimentation : find many of those files from different locations (keep a track of where you've found them and what version it is) and try them all. Keep the one that works and seems stable.

I think it the Readme of bcm43xx-fwcutter their is some location on where to find firmware files.

NoTiG
September 1st, 2006, 09:07 PM
i get to the point where i install networkmanager and it asks me to insert a CD. wtf . i dont have any cd's. why cant it check my resposotiroes or the internet somewhere . :/

compwiz18
September 2nd, 2006, 03:42 AM
i get to the point where i install networkmanager and it asks me to insert a CD. wtf . i dont have any cd's. why cant it check my resposotiroes or the internet somewhere . :/
Open Synaptic, go to Settings, click Repositories, and uncheck the CDROM box.

Papa-san
September 2nd, 2006, 04:51 AM
john@laptop:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation 0000:02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)This is the card I have.
I followed the instructions, and when I re-booted, I had a four minute lag between signin at splash and when my desktop started to load. No wireless, and my 'network settings' GUI pops open empty. (Nothing visible but a white box on a tan background.) OK... there it is, after about seven minutes of trying. Plus it doesn't show any wireless, only lo and eth0.

Do you have any instructions for fixing the damage? Or do I just go ahead and re-install again?:confused:

Edit: I think I'll just follow my sig links... lol

DieMongo
September 2nd, 2006, 11:02 AM
john@laptop:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation 0000:02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)This is the card I have.
I followed the instructions, and when I re-booted, I had a four minute lag between signin at splash and when my desktop started to load. No wireless, and my 'network settings' GUI pops open empty. (Nothing visible but a white box on a tan background.) OK... there it is, after about seven minutes of trying. Plus it doesn't show any wireless, only lo and eth0.

Do you have any instructions for fixing the damage? Or do I just go ahead and re-install again?:confused:

Edit: I think I'll just follow my sig links... lol

- o -

A reinstall of the OS is absolutely the last option. First you should scan all the pages to see if there's a solution to fix your problem, sometimes it's very small changes that makes it all work. I know 49 pages is a lot, but here is a link to start with - a solution that worked for me:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1424395&postcount=468

/DieMongo

huntz
September 3rd, 2006, 05:50 PM
Finally I have got the bcm4318 of my Apple iBook G4 (Mid 2005) working. I have followed all hints from this thread, but I have got success with the last ppc (K)ubuntu kernel:
- 2.6.15-26-powerpc
- extracting with fwcutter firmware from the AppleAirPort2 (from OSX) into /lib/firmware and into /lib/firmware/2.6.15-26-powerpc
- using WirelessAssistant to join my test WEP AP

The only problem is the distance from the access point: I got a working network only very close to the AP ( <= 10m/30feet ).
Damn! ](*,) .

I'm searching a better usable solution. :rolleyes:

Kaneda_help_me
September 4th, 2006, 08:51 AM
it's still not working for me. i've tried like...2 million different tutorials at this point. i know i havn't provided very much info, but that's because i don't know what to provide. i followed your directions exactly and it's still not working. please provide any input that you have, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

nickm
September 4th, 2006, 09:54 PM
updated to include Edgy Knot 2 findings

ibwahooka
September 5th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Nickm,
Thanks for the great tutorial. Got me up and running in no time. This is my first time using Linux and I'm really excited. Since I like to sit in my easy chair and surf the net I was really jazzed that I got my wireless working. Keep up the good work!

Wahooka
-Linux newbie, looking for a better thing that Windows

jpspyro
September 5th, 2006, 05:51 PM
When i run this command:

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/`uname -r`~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

i get:

/lib/firmware/bcm43xx_microcode2.fw/bcm43xx_microcode2.fw/: File or Folder does not exist.

icky
September 5th, 2006, 05:56 PM
0000:06:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4319 (rev 02)

is a failure, i'll see what i can do :(

Janster
September 8th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Thanks a lot. I have the Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) and only went as far as step 4b and it worked perfectly. Great job.

ka1axy
September 9th, 2006, 01:36 AM
I'm dual booting a company-issued Dell D620. lspci says:
0000:0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 01)

Everything worked according to the instructions. Was unable to extract the firmware from the Windows .sys file, but the wl_apsta.o extraction worked as advertised.

My network showed up in the applet when rebooted, and I entered the WEP key, and connected at 11 Mb/s (it's a "g" network, so I had expected 54Mb/s, but hey, I'm not picky)

Thank you!

Peter

Sh8kR
September 9th, 2006, 07:34 AM
0000:06:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4319 (rev 02)

is a failure, i'll see what i can do :(

I am in the same boat did you ever get it working? I tried this and a few other walk throughs and still no luck. I have even updated my kernel to see my dual core and that did not change it. I had Kantiox on it and even recompiled the kernel but it did not see the wifi card. So I am at a loss I am going to try the "WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Dapper" and the "WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper" to see if they give any other steps but I am getting frustrated.

Rumptz

tpariel
September 9th, 2006, 08:00 PM
hi all,

thanks a lot for your exellent guide It worked perfectly for me and I have bad WiFi card the Broadcom BCM4318.

thanks again,
cheers Ariel

cemptor
September 11th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks a lot. I have the Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) and only went as far as step 4b and it worked perfectly. Great job.

I wonder if you can help me. I have the Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) too, and it does not connect to the router. It's a US Robotics 805417 WirelessG PCI card.

- The card is recognized by the GNOME Networking tool
- I can actually see the router on doing iwlist eth0 scan
- The interface eth0 seems to be attached to my router, if I see iwconfig

Just cannot authenticate to get an ip address. dhclient keeps giving me the message "no leases offered".

I am using wpa_supplicant, and when I run it with more debug messages, I noticed a strange thing. It seems to be trying to connect to my router but the frequency used is 0. My router's frequency is 2.437 Ghz. Is there a way to force the card to use a certain frequency?

Could that be some kind of problem?

I've followed the instructions to the letter, except not using Network Manager. It's a clean install of 32 bit Ubuntu

1. extracted the wl_apsta.o firmware to /lib/firmware
2. modified /etc/networking/interfaces to use wpa_supplicant for eth0 (my card)
3. Set up wpa_supplicant to authenticate to my router. wpa_supplicant is known to be working (tested with ndiswrapper and another card)

The network router has a mixed mode network and any speed.

Have tried every trick in this list:

- blacklisted ndiswrapper
- modprobe bcm43xx
- turned the card off and on
- tried without any authentication
- changed rate to 11M / 36M / 54M

Help!

erik plaggenmars
September 12th, 2006, 10:16 AM
OK, why is this not a sticky??? I bet a lot of guys would be happy with this howto.

Worked like a charm for me! :D

Thank you so much!

PS. (maybe for author to note in #1 post.)

I got the error:
"The NetworkManager Applet could not find some required resources. It cannot continue."

After i was trying to load the network manager applet. I was able to fix it with the command:

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor/

Hope it helps for the guys having the same problem as me.

KeeNeR
September 16th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks nickm! It worked like a charm for a Broadcom 3411.
great guide linked on my blog.

brianab86
September 17th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I went through all of the steps, but the Network Manager Applet does not show a wireless connection; it is only showing the wired one. Any advice?