PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] alternative download install via usb

F.G.
September 29th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Hi,
so, just a quick query. am I right in thinking that you can't use 'alternative' text install version of ubuntu as a live USB?

I just tried installing a copy, it worked fine with netbootin and booted up and everything. but then looks for a cd to install from (the machine in question is a netbook doesn't have a disk drive)?

I know that the main reason for this version is for old machines and this isn't an old computer (I love that Ubuntu is still focussing on enabling wider usage and all that),
i'm guess i'm just trying to avoid downloading a different copy of ubuntu (and am quite curious).

mörgæs
September 29th, 2011, 12:30 AM
The alternate ISO is lighter during installation, which makes it suitable for older computers. Also it is a good second try on any computer, if the regular ISO does not work.

Correct, it does not run in live mode.

it worked fine with netbootin and booted up and everything. but then looks for a cd to install from

This sounds really strange. Please explain in detail.

F.G.
September 29th, 2011, 12:44 AM
so, i mean unetbootin put all the files on the usb drive. then i plugged it in to the relevant machine and booted into the usb option.

then got a unetbootin menu up, with various choices (default, install, that kind of thing).
then started going through the install procedure (install language, keyboard, etc)then moved onto detecting hardware, and when it couldn't find 'cd-rom' it asked for the install medium and got stuck.

so, i mean it wont run as a live disk but basically it seemed mostly to work, just thinks it's on a cd.