PDA

View Full Version : Gtalk, do you use it? why? why not? lets make some statistics

sapo
May 31st, 2006, 12:09 PM
Hey guys,

I ve been using Instant messaging software since it came up on the internet and i always loved it, used ICQ for a long time and have something like 500 people on the list.. the i have to start standing msn messenger and all that crap. ](*,)

Of course i ve always used and still use IRC.

But the thing is, i m working on a company and my new boss kinda has a MSN "trauma" cause some ex-employees here didnt work properly and talked on the msn instead.. so even the word MSN is blocked on our server so we cant use it (i think i m lucky because of it, i never liked msn).

So, i m using Gtalk instead and i m getting addicted to its simplicity and like ubuntu it "just works".

I had already tried the Talk feature on Gtalk some time ago, but here is different, we are behind a proxy server and NAT, so i tried to use its voice feature yesterday and got impressed.. it worked, and i dare to say that it worked with less delay then skype does, of course there is a problem, skype supports voice on linux and Gtalk doesnt, and we still need to use it on gaim cause it doesnt have any linux version, this is very sad!

So, enought with all this useless talking, please answer the poll and post your opinions about Gtalk.

loell
May 31st, 2006, 12:23 PM
i've never tried it.. but when google will release the version for linux i'd probably love it.. :) but then again there other IMs and Voip apps thats already ahead of the game..

Rikostan
May 31st, 2006, 01:52 PM
I have used it, but I really do not care for any IM service.

nocturn
May 31st, 2006, 02:08 PM
I use it, but it is basicly just Jabber, so nothing new here. I've been using a jabber account for a long time now (before gtalk).

It's good to see one IM service on a free protocol though!

Harold P
May 31st, 2006, 02:39 PM
No, tried but had no friends to talk on it

Gtalk is made by the same guy who did Gaim, correct?

-Rick-
May 31st, 2006, 02:47 PM
[X] Yes, but rarely with kopete

The smileys you get in gmail rock :)

Terracotta
May 31st, 2006, 02:51 PM
Use it with kopete, still waiting for VoiP support in kopete, perhaps in KDE 3.5.3, or kde 4?

Sushi
May 31st, 2006, 03:09 PM
I use it, but it is basicly just Jabber, so nothing new here.

Well, it's Jabber with VOIP.

As to question at hand: I use Gtalk with GAIM. feel free to add me to your buddylist :)

Kimm
May 31st, 2006, 04:32 PM
Well, it's Jabber with VOIP.

The Jabber foundation is working on "Jingle" which will provide VoIP support (and I think Webcam) in the future :cool:

bored2k
May 31st, 2006, 04:56 PM
Of course i ve always used and still use IRC.
MSN Messenger can be as simple as you like, yet I prefer it. Gtalk is just a stripped down client trying to be a great thing.

sapo
May 31st, 2006, 05:41 PM
MSN Messenger can be as simple as you like, yet I prefer it. Gtalk is just a stripped down client trying to be a great thing.

I dont like msn for one reason:

Too many toys.

i dont have a screenshot here.. but have you ever tried to talk with someone who has one emoticon for each letter on the alphabet? [-(

imagine
May 31st, 2006, 06:39 PM
Taking a look at the MSN EULA should be enough to find out how "great" this product is.

BWF89
May 31st, 2006, 07:52 PM
I have GTalk and I have it on my list of IM accounts on Gaim. But I've never actually used it to talk to someone.

As for voice chatting in IM, I tried Yahoo's voice chat capabilities it worked just fine so I don't know why I would GTalk for voice chatting.

bagofchickens
June 1st, 2006, 11:41 AM
I am using GTalk with this (http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Kopete+Jabber+Jingle) branch of Kopete, which supports VoIP through Jingle. Very nice, given the ability to have all my other IM accounts "in one" place (except Skype, of course). I also tried Tapioca and have found it a lot cleaner and straightforward, but it also lacks some features, so for now I'm staying with Kopete.

mcduck
June 1st, 2006, 12:20 PM
I only use IRC. I used MSN for about half a year back in 2001 and that was enough instant messaging for me.. I don't want to bother with any registrations and creating accounts and such. That's why I don't even use any other IRC networks than IRCnet ;)

Christmas
June 1st, 2006, 04:17 PM
I voted "No, never tried it.". I only use Yahoo! Messenger protocol with Gaim and Kopete, IRC with XChat and Yahoo as a search engine too. I never used Google, not because I don't like it or something, but I got used from the beginning with Yahoo!.

samir85
June 2nd, 2006, 02:51 AM
I'm using GTalk with Gajm, a jabber client, for a couple of days.
Talking with ICQ users works pretty well too, because you can communicate with the ICQ network over transport gateways.

btw: did anybody manage to connect to GTalk server with encryption ?

ramkumail
November 14th, 2007, 07:22 PM
hi,
I would love to use gtalk voice features on my ubuntu but no client does it for me or I am not smart enough to make any client do that.

mustang
November 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM
ICQ was and still is my favorite. Sadly, barely anyone uses it anymore. I mainly use AIM because that was popular among my age group when we started using the internet. My 15 year old brother uses GTalk all the time so I'm going to guess that will the IM service of his generation (atleast here in the US).

Dimitriid
November 14th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I honestly barely use it, since I have a grand total of 3 gtalk contacts with something like 70 on msn messenger. I hate it but everybody uses it here.

Lostincyberspace
November 14th, 2007, 09:35 PM
yes, with meebo not gaim.

JetskiDude911
November 14th, 2007, 10:33 PM
No, I just use Pidgin when I'm on Ubuntu, and iChat when I'm in OS X.

anemptygun
November 14th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Gtalk is made by the same guy who did Gaim, correct?

nope.

ericesque
November 14th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I use it in Pidgin. Mostly just in case friends are checking their gmail and I want to bug them. If google wants people to switch over to Gtalk, they're going to have to figure out some killer feature. Getting somebody to switch from AIM, Yahoo, or MSN to Gtalk is going to be more of a challenge than getting somebody to switch from Win to Linux-- in fact, it's probably going to be more difficult than getting people to switch from TP to glass shards... :(

stephenbrazier
November 14th, 2007, 11:09 PM
No, i use Gaim to talk to my friends because they still use MSN because they are all on Windows.
I dare not say about Linux at school because they will think i am a nerd i have only just made some decent friends and i have been at my school for 4 years now lol...
I am not a nerd its just my Windows kept crashing so i put up on a forum how i can fix it and someone said:

Quote:
"I have one word for you. 'Linux'"

so i searched it up and tried Freespire. I didn't like it. So then I tried Ubuntu. But the Live CD didn't work. So i downloaded a text-based installer and haypresto, it worked. I'm writing this on my second day of Ubuntu :KS wooopp! and i'm loving every minute!!!!!!!!!!!!! Much better than Windows. And no viruses!! I was shocked when i found this out!

n3tfury
November 14th, 2007, 11:11 PM
My 15 year old brother uses GTalk all the time so I'm going to guess that will the IM service of his generation (atleast here in the US).

no it won't.

stephenbrazier
November 14th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Plus can anyone tell me what these coffee been things on are ubuntu forums? Three cups of Ubuntu??? 0 beens? Confused :confused: :lolflag:

koleoptero
November 15th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I use msn mostly too, because everyone here uses it. I have 3 contacts only in gtalk. But I loved the simplicity and effectiveness of the client in ******* and I'd love to see it here in linux. But for now I use it through pidgin.

Welcome aboard stephenbrazier, I am a new ubuntu user too, hope you have a good time too here at the community :)

a grain of Alt.
December 2nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
I use gtalk all the time on Windows for its very clear "voice" feature.

Anyone here use the voice feature of gtalk on Ubuntu? If so, how?

I've heard that you can use the new "jingle" from jabber on tapioca, however there isn't a 64 bit build of tapioca (forced 32 bit doesn't work well). Gtalk lovers, I beg for your aid!

atomkarinca
December 2nd, 2007, 07:26 PM
I use Gtalk with Gajim and it's working without a glitch. Here are the specifications:

Jabber ID: youremail@gmail.com (it should include @gmail.com)
On the connection tab select all three options
Hostname: talk.google.com Port: 5223

For VoIP on Jabber you can use Jabbin (http://www.jabbin.com/int/). With Jabbin you can VoIP over both Gtalk and Jabber.

maniacmusician
December 2nd, 2007, 09:59 PM
ICQ was and still is my favorite. Sadly, barely anyone uses it anymore. I mainly use AIM because that was popular among my age group when we started using the internet. My 15 year old brother uses GTalk all the time so I'm going to guess that will the IM service of his generation (atleast here in the US).
It really just depends on your geographical location. Where I used to live, AIM is still the most popular. I know that in the new jersey suburbs, kids love using MSN.

a grain of Alt.
December 11th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Awesome! Thanks a ton! I'm going to try this out this evening!

lingnoi
December 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I used use Gtalk all the time before I started using Ubuntu, then I waited for VOIP support to show up. It didn't and after lots of testing of different apps I now use Skype and Gyachi.

Skype's voice and video is much better then anything else I have tried so far on Linux. I have tried Gyachi, Ekiga, aMSN, Tapioca, etc and none of them come close.

Google should have done a Linux client by now, but it isn't even on their to-do list. They've pretty much said "Here's the spec, you do it". That's great, but I want my Gtalk features such as chat logging, voice mail sent directly to gmail, etc. You don't get these features with the alternative clients and I like the Google client anyway.

It doesn't really matter to me now, it's too late as I am convinced that Skype is better. They actively develop their Linux client. They're slow but at least they have working video and voice which is years ahead of Gtalk on Linux. It will be a long time before it even starts to work in wine because the wine developers haven't developed the SSL libraries? Or something like that, anyway you can't login through the gtalk client in wine.

The whole experience of Gtalk on Linux has left me grumpy. For a company that supposedly uses Ubuntu and has their own operating system called gOS based on Ubuntu the least they could do is make their apps work on their own operating system.

Anyway, I suggest that anyone that is trying to do webcam and voice try out the Linux Skype Beta. I think the version is 2.0.0.27 or something. I was really surprised by the quality and speed compared to other networks, although I have to admit I haven't been able to get my crappy old web cam to work on it yet (submitted the bug report). Gyachi is great for yahoo webcam if anyone here hasn't tried it yet.

akiratheoni
December 11th, 2007, 10:16 PM
The whole experience of Gtalk on Linux has left me grumpy. For a company that supposedly uses Ubuntu and has their own operating system called gOS based on Ubuntu the least they could do is make their apps work on their own operating system.

gOS isn't by Google. It's Google themed but 'g' in gOS actually stands for "green" because it's more environmentally friendly than most computers.

I voted that I only use Gtalk on Gmail, but that's lie, I use it in Pidgin too.

PrimoTurbo
December 11th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I started with ICQ back in 1998 I think, I used to love the random user chat feature. Just find someone completely random and talk with them.

Then at some point everyone started using MSN and I moved to that. Now everyone uses it, but I see a new trend. Many people have actually stopped using MSN and instead focus more on facebook.

I think if facebook released some type of a client and an integrated chat in profiles it would be very successful. The wall is awesome but real time conversations would also be good.

Depressed Man
December 12th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I use Gtalk with Pidgin.

And as for trends, it's interesting to see who uses AIM vs MSN. As many of my far away friends use MSN, but all my friends I interact with on a daily basis use AIM.

Dunno about a facebook client though. I know some people were working on facebook plugin on Trillian (it's out actually..the plugin). But I have no clue what it actually did.