PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help

fepa1
September 28th, 2011, 01:23 AM
After usin ubuntu alongside windows on an old computer i ws so impressed by how well ubuntu worked that i decidee to remove windows and use ubuntu entirely. Unfortunately after installing i got nothing but the defualt desktop. There was nothing. I couldnt do anything inside ubuntu. I reinstalled many times but i keep getting the same issue. Any help?

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 28th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Unfortunately after installing i got nothing but the defualt desktop. There was nothing.

Could you provide some more information? What do you see when you have the "default desktop"? What does "There was nothing" mean?

You need to describe the symptoms so we can try to diagnose the problem.

Are you installing the same version of Ubuntu as you did before? Did you use WUBI when you had it installed alongside Windows before?

fepa1
September 28th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Well what i mean when there is nothing i mean that the default ubuntu desktop backround is the only the only thing displayed on the moniter. There are no icons or anything escept the default ubuntue desktop backround.
I am trying to install ubuntu 11.04 with 3rd party software and download updates while installing. I burnt 2 cd's in case of one of them not working properly. It doesnt work installed from either cd.
I did not use wubi
I dont know the specs of the top of my head but i do know that i am installing to an 80 gb hard-drive (wich i know is small) and im pretty sure it is not an issue with the hard drive because i swapped it with a different hard drive

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 28th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Well what i mean when there is nothing i mean that the default ubuntu desktop backround is the only the only thing displayed on the moniter. There are no icons or anything but the bacround.

What version of Ubuntu are you trying to install? Did you use the same version when you installed it and had it working before? Did you use WUBI when you had it installed alongside Windows before and it was working?

Edit #1: I see you edited your post while I was typing. I will read your edits to determine if I can help.

Edit #2: I see, 11.04 with the Unity GUI. I really don't have that much experience with Unity. Unity doesn't work on most of my computers because they don't support the graphics card requirements of Unity. Is 11.04 the version you had working before?

Edit #3: Have you tried to install without selecting 3rd party software and download updates while installing? You can select the 3rd party software repositories and download updates after you do the initial install.

fepa1
September 28th, 2011, 03:04 AM
What version of Ubuntu are you trying to install? Did you use the same version when you installed it and had it working before? Did you use WUBI when you had it installed alongside Windows before and it was working?

Edit #1: I see you edited your post while I was typing. I will read your edits to determine if I can help.

Edit #2: I see, 11.04 with the Unity GUI. I really don't have that much experience with Unity. Unity doesn't work on most of my computers because they don't support the graphics card requirements of Unity. Is 11.04 the version you had working before?

Yes but without unity as my computer doesnt have the graphics card requirements either

Sorry just read the edits and yes i had it installing without 3rd party software and it works but I cant actually do much without that software so do you know of a wAy to get the software?

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 28th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Yes but without unity as my computer doesnt have the graphics card requirements either

Sorry just read the edits and yes i had it installing without 3rd party software and it works but I cant actually do much without that software so do you know of a wAy to get the software?

I edited my post while you were typing. Read edit #3. Maybe that will help.

fepa1
September 28th, 2011, 03:10 AM
How would i be able to select the repositories after initial install?

Also thank you for the help so far

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 28th, 2011, 03:20 AM
You can add them using the Update Manager GUI (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu#Third-Party_Software_Tab) or through the command line.

fepa1
September 28th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Thank you so much and i hope that this works when i try it tomorrow again thank you

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 28th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Thank you so much and i hope that this works when i try it tomorrow again thank you

It is time for me to get off-line as I have to go to work tomorrow. Maybe I will see you here tomorrow. Hopefully it will work for you. :)

Don't bother thanking me until it works. :)

Blasphemist
September 28th, 2011, 03:39 AM
X is starting at that time but that doesn't mean it is the problem. Do any of the session types behave differently? At the login screen, after clicking in the password box, you can select a session type at the bottom of the screen. You say unity won't run and must be trying classic as the session type. Try any option available and see if it is different. That might get you to a desktop where it is easier to take an action.