PDA

View Full Version : Your final thoughts on Breezy?

weekend warrior
May 31st, 2006, 10:34 AM
So here we are, a day away from Dapper's official release (and Breezy's demise so to speak). Do you have any last thoughts on Breezy you'd like to share? Do you think it was a good, bad, or so-so release? Have you been satisfied overall with it over the past eight months? What were some good things and/or bad things about it? How would you rate Breezy compared to Warty and Hoary? (and Dapper if you're already using it) Did things pretty much "just work" for you or did you have more than your fair share of problems? In short, was Breezy easy or sleazy?

Oh and just a reminder to any fanboys or trolls - everyone's entitled to their opinion - live and let live. The last nails are about to be hammered into Breezy's coffin anyway so... vive la difference!

megahertza
May 31st, 2006, 11:18 AM
Well I'm a 100% Ubuntu Linux user now, befor ubuntu I was 100% Win XP. I think that says it all

ade234uk
May 31st, 2006, 11:36 AM
Breezy allowed me to finally ditch Windows once and for all. The primary reason was finding automatix. Please it is important Automatix can be installed in Dapper. It is one big reason people will use Ubuntu. First impressions count.

lapsey
May 31st, 2006, 11:37 AM
Wireless networking oh god

Nautilus constantly crashing thanks to smbfs

are both things i will not miss.

Breezy did everything I needed except multimedia (Design, Video editing, Photo editing, Sequencing). I just hope Dapper goes some way towards supplying some o these

megahertza
May 31st, 2006, 11:39 AM
I forgot the whole Open Source Freedom bit to

bruce89
May 31st, 2006, 11:43 AM
Please it is important Automatix can be installed in Dapper.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=177646

weekend warrior
May 31st, 2006, 04:12 PM
Somewhat lukewarm response so far... *tumbleweed blows by*... not surprising I guess. Personally I think Breezy was a pretty lukewarm (sometimes half-baked) release and a mediocre performer to be honest, never living up to its potential. It wasn't as good as the others and won't be remembered as anything special in the long run, with Dapper easily eclipsing it.

PatrickMay16
May 31st, 2006, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure what to think, what with that password-in-installation-logs glitch. Also after upgrading from hoary I experienced some annoying problems with the theme manager sometimes refusing to start and it seems like the version of xmms in the breezy repositories has an annoying glitch which causes it to hang around after you close it by clicking the close button. Dunno though.

Anyway, apart from that, Breezy was good. I think I'll wait until I get the Dapper CDs that I ordered before I upgrade, though. Also I'm going to back up all of my data that I can, just to be safe.

Rikostan
May 31st, 2006, 04:29 PM
I only ran breezy for a couple of months.. from March till about a week ago and I have to say I was pretty satisfied with it. I still have a windows box for gaming, but that is the only thing I do on it and I am even doing more and more gaming on ubuntu as well.

So I was happy with Breezy, but I am even more happy that Dapper is here.

xtacocorex
May 31st, 2006, 04:49 PM
I installed Breezy on a whim when my harddrive that had my XP/Hoary dual boot started to crap out.

I was more skeptical of Breezy, but I installed it and was very glad I did. Yeah, it didn't work as well as Hoary did right off the bat, but I got it working there and it has succeeded in keeping me from trying FC5. I used to be a loyal Fedora user, upgraded RH9 to FC2 then skipped FC3 because my computer didn't like the installation cd's I burned and ran FC4 for 7 months.

I am looking forward to Dapper. This will be the first Ubuntu release that I'll actually upgrade to when it comes out.

I won't to say that Breezy is dead, but if I wasn't satisfied with what I've seen and heard about Dapper, I'd still use it for a couple of months before upgrading.

aysiu
May 31st, 2006, 04:52 PM
Breezy was not a good release.

Hoary was rock-solid. Dapper is full of new features and eye candy.

Breezy was the bumpy road along the way.

Rackerz
May 31st, 2006, 05:01 PM
Breezy was not a good release.

Hoary was rock-solid. Dapper is full of new features and eye candy.

Breezy was the bumpy road along the way.

So your saying Dapper is a combination of both stability and prettiness?

SeanTater
May 31st, 2006, 05:02 PM
From what I tried of it, I think breezy was terrible -- the very first time I used dapper (flight 5, I think), it was already more stable than breezy IMO.

christhemonkey
May 31st, 2006, 05:04 PM
Hoary was excellent in my opinion.

And when i did dist-upgrade to breezy, i totally regretted it and had a pretty trashed computer. Although it only took me about an hour to fix, it wasnt a good start!

Which is the reason that im not going to dist-upgrade this time and just fresh install.

matthinckley
May 31st, 2006, 05:15 PM
I started using ubuntu in November of '05 with Breezy and I loved it. I had used Fedora before but couldn't bring myself to like the rpm stuff. I have never tried warty or hoary so I can't compare it to those.

but overall I've had a very good experience with breezy. It has done everything i've needed it to do. I run dapper on my desktop now but I have to run breezy on my notebook because dapper won't work with my wireless network card. something about ndiswrapper and the kernel but it crashes dapper as soon as I load the ndiswrapper module

anyways I think breezy rocked.

Harold P
May 31st, 2006, 05:40 PM
My final thought? "Bye." :p

Rinzwind
May 31st, 2006, 05:44 PM
Thoughts:

- Breezy got me totally into Linux. Not for long cuz I jumped onto the Dapper bandwagon failry quickly.

- Breezy was good. Not perfect. Dapper is better.

- Farewel Breezy Badger :) :)

bruce89
May 31st, 2006, 05:51 PM
I first started with Warty! I soon realised that Hoary was around the beta time, so I used that instead. I needed a fairly simple way of using a speedtouch modem at the time, so I had to use Hoary. Breezy seemed to work for me, but I remember that System Monitor was reporting 100% processor use.

PapaWiskas
May 31st, 2006, 05:52 PM
Breezy got me off of Windows, and has made my wife want to switch as soon as we get our new home PC.

Breezy will always have a soft spot in my heart, as everything just worked for me for the most part. And what didnt work, helped me to understand more about Linux in general. So with that said, I loved Breezy, and now have been fixing my Dapper install for 2 days and learning more and loving Dapper just as much, it is way faster now.

I cant compare it to Hoary or anyting else because that was before I used Linux....

onesojourner
May 31st, 2006, 05:57 PM
I started really using linux with xandros and then stumbled on breezy. Breezy sold me on the idea and I have run it since RC. I liked alot better than any of the other distros I ha tried.

mrazster
May 31st, 2006, 06:57 PM
Well...I've been trying out a couple of other distros over the last years...but I always went back to winblows...there was always something that wouldn't work and I couldn't manage to get it working even with help.

But when installing Ubunut Breezy in early February...everything worked...right out of the box, and thats when I made the switch for real. I'm now 100% winblows free.

So Breezy set me free :D ...and I think that says it all.

GarethMB
May 31st, 2006, 07:01 PM
Breezy was my first distro and it was fairly impressive. But i started using Dapper not long after. Now i barely remember Breezy Dapper is so good. I'm not sure whether i'll go for edgy when it gets stablish or whether i will stay with Dapper for the three years. We shall see. But i do like variety and when i'm bored i tend to experiment with my linux.

dosed150
May 31st, 2006, 07:20 PM
breezy was my first linux os had always used windows before but i didnt really play pc games after i got my xbox so i decided might as well try something different i cant remember how i found ubuntu but i send off for cds then installed soon as i got them first week was pretty hard i didnt really know what i was doing but i got the hang of it upgraded to dapper rc when it came out and everything seemed a bit easier was a shame breezy wasnt like that when i started

graabein
May 31st, 2006, 07:47 PM
From the moment I installed Hoary I've only used Win XP for gaming.

Breezy was a step up from Hoary I guess. I haven't tried other distros on this machine (only light distros on very dated hardware) so I can't really compare it.

I don't use my home computer for much outside of multimedia (listening to music, watching video), IM chatting and surfing. I suppose Dapper will be another step towards a better desktop experience. I'm very satisfied with Ubuntu and Breezy as it is now.

Some of my problems have been getting 3d accel to run properly (and getting rid of an ancient XFree86 error), editing xorg.conf for TV-out, sometimes XMMS hangs on me and sometimes I get odd messages when I disconnect USB devices. I hope Dapper fixes most of these and I also reckon these are a breeze to fix myself...

Anyway, here's to Breezy! Breezy is dead, long live Dapper!

KLineD
May 31st, 2006, 07:59 PM
For me warty was what got me started into seriously replace Windows with Linux. I had previously installed Mandrake, Red Hat and Knoppix dual booting. Hoary made possible for me to erase once and for good my Windows partition.

I remember waiting eagerly for Breezy, I think I upgraded early and then making a clean install once the final version was out. I never had any serious problems with it but also it didn't amaze me the way Warty or Hoary did.

I'm now using Dapper and waiting for it to become available as an iso download so I can make a clean install of it (I just like to do it that way). Hoary was good, but not as good as it's older brothers.

BoyOfDestiny
May 31st, 2006, 08:00 PM
I prefer Dapper because:

* Seems snappier, faster boot, better hardware support etc.
* Out of the box 3d (the machine has a radeon 9200, no messing with xorg now)
* It is easy to enable universe and mulitverse via software properties or synaptic
* It is possible to update to the next distro now without messing with sources.list
* installing the new gstreamer .10 stuff makes totem not suck. Seriously, I use it pretty often now.
* Eject button ejects (assuming you aren't looking that the files in nautilus or terminal, makes sense to me)
* ALSA + dmix (I'd still like ESD to go away, but not too hard to say just uncheck the sound server box)
* Application Add/Remove has improved tremendously. I recommend it for greenhorns. Heck, I use it too. The descriptions are great.
* The artwork. Yes I think the new orange boot logo is awesome. I love the human theme now and it's icons. Before I was using clearlooks... I cannot get enough of the orange for some reason. I think it makes a better impression than the brown...
* Although I haven't tried it, installing from the livecd is neat. Other machines that I put ubuntu are off flight 3 or dist-upgraded from breezy.
* DMA on by default. No more stuttery playback.
* Integrated search with nautilus.

Breezy is probably the Ubuntu I used the least (compared to warty and hoary).

Multiple sound issues on my laptop (now works great thanks to ALSA + dmix) and my desktop breezy 64 did not get 3D acceleration with the open ati driver (just a black box).

Upgrading to Dapper solved that... So I said bye to breezy 5 months ago, and am glad I did.

Wallakoala
May 31st, 2006, 09:14 PM
Breezy was great in my opinion. I installed it and never looked back. The only problems I really had was nautilus. It crashed all the time and there were a bazillion bugs. For example, if I made the default icon size 75%, and tried to drag any icon, nautilus would crash. If I tried to copy and paste files into a samba share, nautilus would crash. And sometimes, if I put a cd in and it mounted and appeared on the desktop and I just clicked on it...nautilus would crash.

Dapper fixed these issues.

Yes...I am happy

mike998
May 31st, 2006, 09:21 PM
Some rough spots - which is to be expected.
I keep on jumping on the beta bandwagon, though...
I'm not sure about edgy - too much eyecandy which my laptop won't do...

Master Shake
May 31st, 2006, 09:27 PM
It had a nice beat, you could dance to it. I give it a 10.

polo_step
May 31st, 2006, 10:15 PM
5.10 worked MILES better than 5.04 on my machines.

5.04 was crashing, behaving erratically (the stuff Linux "never" does, right?) and generally producing a huge amount of problems for me. I hated it. 5.10 simply made all that go away, instantly, on install. Was it the improvement of the basic kernel, or OS, or was it debugging the applications?

Don't know, don't care. 5.10 worked pretty well, 5.04 didn't. End of story for me.

Unfortunately, I was so discouraged by 5.04 that I didn't get around to doing a real install of 5.10 until a couple of months ago, and never really bothered to set it up the way I wanted because 6.06 was so close on the horizon. Seemed like a waste of time to go nuts with 5.10 with another major release that close.

5.10 also had poor wireless support and did not support my notebook video, so it was out of the running for that machine, which is what I use 95%+ of the time.

I'm hoping that 6.06 does more for me. I'll at least have it here on a dedicated Ubuntu box, but it is unclear if it'll ever see more than about .5% of my computer use until it's ready for the notebook -- if ever. :-k

suziequzie
June 1st, 2006, 02:38 AM
I loved it much better than Hoary. It made my *then* 2.5 year old computer feel brand new. Very slick looking (Kubuntu distro), I love Super Tux (gives me the old Super Marios nostalgia fix) and Shi-Sensho (my favorite game to play while amarok is loaded up and playing).

I learned a lot with Breezy, and am looking forward to upgrading to Dapper (already upgraded my sister's Breezy to Dapper 2 weeks ago, but will have to update it when I next remotely administer her machine).

I think, for me, Breezy came at just the right time for my immersion into Linux. It kicked Mandriva to the curb (I can't believe Mandriva 2006 Free edition iso has broken Nvidia drivers! God, what a mess that was).

I may play around with other distro's for fun on a partition I've set aside for testing, but I always use Breezy. I just found I couldn't trust Mepis, Kororaa, PcLinux, Mandriva, Xandros and QiLinux to do the job.

I think I went about 4 months without ever booting into Windows. And, I don't know if windows suspects anything, but damn was it buggy as hell when I did. Jealous of my new love I guess.

Waiting for the official release to update. Have run the earlier release candidates on my testing partition, but never quite worked out right. Hoping that will change after tomorrow.

Compucore
June 1st, 2006, 03:11 AM
Hoary was a great install for my older Aptiva over here. Since I didn't like using the windows environment all the time. A great alternative to use with any computer. Breezy was another one that worked well with my current Dell with even more features that came out for it including Automatix. I hope that Dapper will come out even more things for Ubuntu. And give even better results with the stable system. I think Ubuntu is getting better and better from what I can from Hoary and Breezy. Just keep up the good work on a good thing I always say.

COmpucore

scojo
June 1st, 2006, 03:29 AM
I've been very happy with Breezy. Pretty much I got everything to work that I wanted to. I'm not a gamer. What I need: wireless, audio, and standard web, email, and light office type apps. I did have a little trouble with wireless at one point and was unable to use the wireless manager in the gnome panel, but got around it using iwconfig in the terminal. All in all, I'm very satisfied and looking forward to Dapper.

jdodson
June 1st, 2006, 03:43 AM
For me Breezy has been incredible. I use it at work and at home and it has rocked. Its kind of sad to see it go, but Dapper looks absolutely incredible. I have waited until release day to install it, dunno just wanted to I guess.

I have had a few issues with Breezy, but its nothing to spectacular really.

Firefox. Without flash installed, Firefox crashes on flash pages quite often. Even with flashblock installed. Not sure if this is a Breezyism or a Firefoxism. Some people don't use non-free software, Ubuntu and Firefox should fix that. No page load should crash the browser that often. Then again, might be some of my plugins, oh well Dapper might fix this.

Nautilus at times crashes, but its pretty rare.

Its been super stable for work and home, so rock on Breezy. Breezy has been a good friend.

I think of all the Ubuntu releases, for me, Hoary has been the weakest imo.

spahn
June 1st, 2006, 03:55 AM
Breezy was super sweet!
i was never really into operating systems before, and i sampled many varieties of Linux before setting on Ubuntu (Hoary), then Breezy came out and i couldn't have been happier to download a new Operating system and install it in the same night! No pirating to get to Serial Numbers or cracking the encryption- It's free! That might be a little off topic- but i am writing this on a laptop using wireless Breezy... how sweet!

flyingbrass
June 1st, 2006, 04:35 AM
On my box Breezy was slower than Hoary. Also, I had a few crashes here and there (nautilus in particular), especially in the beginning. My mouse wheel stopped working intermittently - a problem I never did track down.

I've used Ubuntu since Warty, though I didn't switch to using Linux 99% of the time until a few months before Breezy's release. I'd rate the previous versions:

1) Hoary
2) Breezy
3) Warty

Good riddance to Breezy. Dapper runs a lot better on my system.

djheadley
June 1st, 2006, 05:11 AM
I almost started with 4.10 but it wouldn't recognize my add-on IDE controller. 5.04 was better and I actually got it installed on my desktop computer. Breezy has been the best so far and I'll keep using it until I get the "official" cds. Everything (except netzero) has worked "out of the box" or with a little work. I do have a scanner that I haven't gotten to work yet but I've been having so much fun NOT CRASHING!

henriquemaia
June 1st, 2006, 05:31 AM
The best Ubuntu version I used. I started with Hoary, so there was not much to compare.

sir_cheats_a_lot
June 1st, 2006, 06:50 AM
final thoughts? well lets see. I have have tried a number of distros, but this one was actually quite nice...it almost had my mom considering to switch to it...she didn't want to give up Yahoo's messenger with all of it's unnecessary features(Audibles to be specific) anyhow; all in all "breezy badger" has been quite nice and i look forward to dapper...just won't upgrade right away. Win2k crashed one day and refused to boot to anything but BSOD so i was forced to reinstall it. longstory short i lost my Ubuntu install in the process, so i looked at FC4(it was actually quite nice too) then FC5 came out, so i tried to upgrade to it, what a mess that was..i was very dissappointed in it after i got it up and running, so lately i've been considering putting Ubuntu "Breezy" back on, at least until i can get a hold of a copy of "Dapper". All in all Ubuntu "breezy" v5.10 was great, except when i tried getting NWN installed the first couple times, but i finally got it done, then everything else i needed worked fine, aside from wine anyway...Hopefully i'll have mom's PC built sometime soon, so she'll get off mine :rolleyes: . Maybe i'll even get her to dual-boot...that would be nice especially when she finds out she can play bookworm under WINE.

i will be interested in seeing what Dapper has to offer here in a couple months. ;)

AlphaMack
June 1st, 2006, 07:19 AM
I have to give Breezy credit for rescuing my girlfriend's Dell Inspiron 4100 from the confines of closet space and a dead Windows ME install. She has since moved onto OS X, but Breezy breathed life back into that Dell and turned it into my surfing laptop when I'm over at her place. It was also the first time I made my foray into the Linux world.

Now with Dapper RC + the last round of upgrades, it's more solid than ever (once I figured out the little wireless gotcha as a result of clean installing the machine). :)

Frankly, though, I'm not going to miss Breezy.

3rdalbum
June 1st, 2006, 11:43 AM
I think I'll kinda miss Breezy. It was the Ubuntu that started my Linux journey back on my old iMac, and I occasionally get a craving for the dark brown window title bars :-)

However, once I start using Dapper I'll probably get accustomed to all the new features and things, and wonder how I ever used Breezy :-)

Noelinho
June 1st, 2006, 12:03 PM
Breezy Badger was what convinced me do ditch Fedora Core 4. Warty and Hoary were good, but Breezy was the version I loved - and Dapper's looking even better :)

matthew
June 1st, 2006, 12:05 PM
Warty and Hoary were good, but Breezy was the version I loved - and Dapper's looking even better :)I totally agree.

23meg
June 1st, 2006, 08:51 PM
For me Breezy was less stable but better performing than Warty and Hoary, which was to be expected.

magnusbb
June 1st, 2006, 09:02 PM
For me, Breezy was the reason why I after eight years of moving back and forth between Linux and Windows, finally (and hopefully for good) settled in Linux. Not that Breezy changed everything, but the way it was set up, it worked very well for me without one re-install from October untill now, when I of course switched to Dapper in hope of something even better.

It's perhaps a bit speedier, but not a revolution. The good thing in Dapper is all the new components that are included. I would specially, since I haven't really used the system much yet, mention GStreamer, which is very good in Dapper, but was slow and buggy in Breezy.

orev
June 1st, 2006, 09:18 PM
Proof that a free operating sysem can actually be good!

Of course, Dapper is better.... :-D

Edgy could be the first free operating system that really challanges the destop monopoly...

Ubuntu makes me feel like it is really possible that someday information sharing could be truly open and not based upon the amount of dollars in your pocket.

Happy trails...;)

xx75
June 1st, 2006, 11:40 PM
Breezy? it is so yesterday!

Seriously though, it was, along with the Ubuntu community (browny points!), what allowed me to experiment with linux. And I must say that it has been frustrating and fun, but rewarding.

Thanks Breezy and Ubuntu community.

basketcase
June 2nd, 2006, 03:21 AM
wrong thread

Compucore
June 2nd, 2006, 04:23 AM
Does anyone think as I do that with each new version from ubuntu that comes out that we all learn something good from it. With our own computer that we all have and in a good way that it makes all of us better and helping each out in problems that do come up with each version. I know I had learnt a lot going from Hoary to Breezy. And now going to Dapper drake. I wonder what awaits us with Dapper Can't wait to see what comes with that. Oh and one thing that I always do take lots of notes in each version that I am working with too with each version. Breezy it was nice knowing you while your on my computer.

Compucore

enyaw
June 4th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Breezy Badger remains installed on Compaq DeskPro and continues to breeze along. The Compaq is a really really quite machine so I fire it up when I want to XMMS with Streamtuner. Dapper installed on the hp, which is a much faster machine than Compaq, and perhaps thats why it also whines alot. Anywho! Dapper is my main distro for the heavy stuff, and it really blows me away. Thank you Mr. Shuittleworth and your fine mix of techies.

p.s. And a special thank you to ArnieBoy for his part in bringing Automatix to all us lesser Badgers and Dappers.