PDA

View Full Version : Developers: KDE light is coming

forcecore
September 27th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I found that finally someone creates KDE4 light alternative. KDE4 and GNOME have integrated lot of nonsense stuff like Akonadi, Evolution-data-server and tons of other programming languages integrated... one word: bloat is huge.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=125088&p=1

If some C++ programmer can help then this project may be the first QT4 based clean feature rich light desktop. World needs military class desktop system that is extremely robust and easy.

mips
September 27th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I think it would be cool if the Chakra project adopted this.

drawkcab
September 29th, 2011, 05:19 AM
How does this project compare with the "low-fat" settings that are apparently available in Kubuntu 11.10?

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/09/kubuntu-low-fat-settings-speed-boost-older-hardware/

koleoptero
September 29th, 2011, 11:42 AM
And I was wondering why all the DEs except kde were mostly written in gtk. Nice work by the developer there, I didn't go through the whole thread but it looks like he'll make it happen. If it ever becomes stable enough I'll certainly give it a go. If I knew how to program I would help but unfortunately I don't. :(

mips
September 29th, 2011, 11:54 AM
And I was wondering why all the DEs except kde were mostly written in gtk.

It's a historical thing based on the QT license in the past I think.

koleoptero
September 29th, 2011, 12:15 PM
This thread's title is misleading though, it's not KDE light, it's a different desktop environment.

@mips: I believe life was simpler when I was using only windows, I just knew I couldn't do whatever I want. Now with linux there are so many issues with licencing it's horrific. :D

mips
September 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM
@mips: I believe life was simpler when I was using only windows, I just knew I couldn't do whatever I want. Now with linux there are so many issues with licencing it's horrific. :D

You're not alone. I just ignore them :biggrin:

BrokenKingpin
September 29th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Pretty cool. I am surprised that more QT WMs have not been created at this point. I have always like QT more than GTK as a tool kit, I just don't like KDE all that much. I will look forward to seeing where this project goes.

How does this project compare with the "low-fat" settings that are apparently available in Kubuntu 11.10?

This project is a whole new DE, not just KDE slimmed down. That low fat settings package does have me interested though. I think half of the bloat problem in KDE is that it includes everything by default and turns on all the services to accommodation anything the user might do. So turning of a lot of the services could really help.

Mmmbopdowedop
September 29th, 2011, 05:51 PM
If it was designed by KDE, i'd be interested, there's too many forks out there, it's stupid, non-productive and annoying, not including the life-time guarantee of such prjoect. IMO.

koleoptero
September 29th, 2011, 10:00 PM
If it was designed by KDE, i'd be interested, there's too many forks out there, it's stupid, non-productive and annoying, not including the life-time guarantee of such prjoect. IMO.

Who said anything about a fork? As I said earlier the title is misleading, this is a whola other environment, just based on qt4. And it's not stupid, mind your language.

forcecore
September 29th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I think it would be cool if the Chakra project adopted this.

This Chakra is still fat of bloat like Ruby, Python, Akonadi, Nepomuk, MySQL and more more other bloat... like i said world needs first opensource military class OP system that is very easy to use but uses only C and C++ and maybe one portable side language that is not requirement to run desktop system but just helpful if needed.

ve4cib
September 30th, 2011, 12:03 AM
This Chakra is still fat of bloat like Ruby, Python, Akonadi, Nepomuk, MySQL and more more other bloat... like i said world needs first opensource military class OP system that is very easy to use but uses only C and C++ and maybe one portable side language that is not requirement to run desktop system but just helpful if needed.

What exactly do you mean by "military class?" You've used that term twice in this thread and I have absolutely no idea what you mean.

Also, I would hardly call the inclusion of Python as "bloat." Many distros rely on Python scripts for behind-the-scenes processes. As such, including Python as a requirement of the DE adds minimal overhead in terms of storage. Yes, there's a bit of CPU and memory overhead with Python when compared with pure C or C++, but I highly doubt this overhead is relevant for any computer built in the last 10 years.

I will admit that having a lightweight DE that uses Qt instead of GTK would be nice for many users though. It would basically be to KDE what XFCE is to Gnome; a similar-looking, similar-feeling cousin that's less of a resource hog, but doesn't have the same glitz and polish to it.

forcecore
September 30th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Military class i mean OS must be small(drivers seperated), portable (works on desktops, mobiles....to trains, planes etc...), full featured GUI, Install size around 100-300mb(depending what soft you include).

BrokenKingpin
September 30th, 2011, 06:41 PM
KDE's bloat has nothing to do with the languages used to develop it... they just try and do too much to accommodate every user.

mips
September 30th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Military class i mean OS must be small(drivers seperated),

Erm, stop using linux then as the drivers are incorporated in the kernel.

portable (works on desktops, mobiles....to trains, planes etc...), full featured GUI, Install size around 100-300mb(depending what soft you include).

That's got nothing to do with 'military class'.

I think you are confused or don't know what you're talking about.

forcecore
September 30th, 2011, 10:57 PM
For example: ReactOS is good candidate to become such type too that is very portable across devices. Drivers can be always installed on Ubuntu so no problem installing drivers that is only needed(of course base drivers still must be in like generic vesa, sata... and others that is critical for startup.

Now end this offtopic talk and we go on with Quantum Project, be a messenger and spread the word to speed up development. Like i said this project may be best lightweight UI written in QT4 and same time simple, feature rich, very fast, no gazillion dependencies.

viperdvman
October 1st, 2011, 12:09 AM
I might give the "low-fat" settings for the upcoming Kubuntu 11.10 a try.

I'm always interested in experimenting with different desktop environments. So if this takes off, I'll try it out :)