PDA

View Full Version : Want to spend $1,499 getting A+ certified?

Captain Smiley Pants
September 27th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I'm sure you don't, and in no way did I spend that much money either. But today I got a rather interesting phone call pushing me to set up an appointment to see a New Horizons building and begin classes within the building. Of course, I won't be going. I asked the kind gentleman to send me an email with whatever he was trying to sell me, because as one who actually does like to get their certification, I was interested.

Until I saw the prices for courses.

Here are a few select samples of what you'll be dropping your money on;

CompTIA A+ Certification (2009 Objectives) / $1,499

In this course, students will install, upgrade, repair,
configure, optimize, troubleshoot, and perform preventative
maintenance on basic personal computer hardware and
operating systems. Windows 7 topics have been included in
exam and course.

Outlook 2007 - Level 1 / $249

In this course, students learn how to compose and send
email, schedule appointments and meetings, manage
contact information and tasks, and use notes. (Second
Edition)

Windows 7 - Level 1 / $249

Students will log on to Windows 7, explore its interface,
identify the different components in the interface, customize
the Windows 7 desktop, manage files and folders, use the
common tools and programs available in Windows 7, and
browse the Internet.

Wow.

Now, I'll be fair here - some people actually do have a hard time with learning new things, especially if they are computer related. I consider the starter CompTIA certifications to be pretty easy, and for others it may not be so much. And yes, the cost to actually take the test isn't exactly cheap itself - but it is no where near a thousand dollars for completion!

Granted, I'd say their reasoning for such a high price is that they keep you in a class with the equipment for a week and tell you you should be able to pass after that. But what if you don't? Will you be dropping another grand?

There are a few more listings in the PDF I recieved, but I don't think I'd like to directly link it to this thread, so please ask me if you'd like it. Actually, I'll tell you how to click a link for $249 :p

3Miro
September 27th, 2011, 02:35 AM
There are courses for basic computer literacy, but those shouldn't be anywhere near that amount. Local libraries should have something perhaps even for free.

Those guys look like a gigantic scam to get your money and give you a worthless piece of paper in return.

Blasphemist
September 27th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I can tell you from experience what the New Horizons model used to be at least. Many companies offer training to help them keep and advance employees. Many times it is part of an organized training and development plan. New Horizons gets hooked up with the managers who have employees with technical training needs. The companies like it as it is all organized and well planned for them to "manage". Many times there is a training budget that needs spent and New Horizons is very willing to take it. The classes are actually pretty good and it can be a good way to ensure that the training does happen, it's not just left to the employee to squeeze it in. This model then prices out most normal people paying out of their own pocket.