PDA

View Full Version : MagSafe technology

user1397
September 27th, 2011, 12:57 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe

I think it really blows that Apple patented this technology because it seems so practical and ideal for laptops. There is no reason why all laptops shouldn't include this, except for the patent.

From the wikipedia article:
Although Apple does not license the MagSafe connector for use in third-party products, manufacturers have devised a workaround: their MagSafe items use the actual connector from Apple’s AC adapter, grafted onto their own product. Since this uses an actual Apple product, purchased legally, manufacturers believe that no licensing agreements are needed and the patents are not violated. But even so, I don't see any laptops other than macbooks which have this feature.

What a shame :(

KiwiNZ
September 27th, 2011, 01:13 AM
It is great.

To the victor go the spoils.

juancarlospaco
September 27th, 2011, 01:24 AM
I think its not matter of the patent, you can use Velcro, Electromagnets, etc
Anyways if i will research into a charger i will try a wireless-ly one, like Tesla said :P
(excuse me if i understand it wrong way, i think Patents are valid on US or Japan? or Worldwide?)

Dr. C
September 27th, 2011, 02:00 AM
It is great.

To the victor go the spoils.

There may in fact be prior art. http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/07/03/deep.fryers/

earthpigg
September 27th, 2011, 02:01 AM
(excuse me if i understand it wrong way, i think Patents are valid on US or Japan? or Worldwide?)

I think the generalization is that software patents have a few characteristics unique to the US, Japan and (iirc) South Korea.

3rdalbum
September 27th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Induction is where it's at, especially house-wide induction that charges all your devices simultaneously as long as they're within the house.

Might be a little way away yet, but smaller-scale induction is already a reality. I'd prefer that to some patent-encumbered technology that still requires you to put a cable into a port.