PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Anyone here switched to unity?

HorseBox
September 26th, 2011, 07:44 PM
When I'm in front of a computer with unity running I'm crippled, like when I try to use someones Mac. I wanna learn how to use it though because I might end up liking it. The main problem I have with it right now is the shortcuts in that sidebar. I don't need shortcuts to openoffice and all that crap, I need a shortcut for the terminal and a shortcut for some kinda control panel like in Windows or SUSE. With GNOME I use those dropdown menus (Applications, Places and System) all the time. How do you do all that stuff in unity? There really should be a control panel shortcut on that sidebar instead of useless shortcuts like LibreOffice and Ubuntu One.

JRV
September 26th, 2011, 08:18 PM
The sidebar is called the launcher.

To remove an item from the launcher, right click it and uncheck "Keep In Launcher".

To Add an item to the launcher click on the Ubuntu logo in the upper left corner of the screen. This opens a window called the Dash. Now find the program you want and drag it to the launcher.

To move icons in the launcher drag the icon to the right, off of the launcher, and then put it where you want it.

The "Control Panel" is called "System Settings". It is located on the shutdown button in the upper right corner of the screen.

Hope this helps.

mcduck
September 26th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Then why don't you just remove the shortcuts you don't want and add the ones you want?

The option to remove a shortcut is in the right-click menu, as is the one for pinning an application you have open to the launcher.
(
anyway, settings are quickly accessible from the top panel, in the same menu where you shutdown /log out)

Frogs Hair
September 26th, 2011, 08:56 PM
This may be helpful for using Unity . http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity