PDA

View Full Version : Best ubuntu compatible laptop in India

Viva
September 26th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new laptop mostly for browsing, document creation, programming and some games. Price range - around 50000Rs(1000$ approximately). Please suggest me a good laptop compatible with ubuntu.

kriskishi
September 26th, 2011, 05:54 PM
if you are really willing to invest that much money... then go for mac book... dont waste your money on stupid laptops....

ninjaaron
September 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Cheap laptops with intel hardware actually tend to work the best for Ubuntu. I would not suggest getting a macbook for ubuntu, since a lot of what you are paying for is the software, and there are hardware conflicts.

Anything with an Atheros wireless card, intel mother board, and intel or ATI video cards ought to be fine. Just as a note, don't get anything with the Intel Sandy Bridges processor, cause the open source drivers are still problematic.

Seriously, a cheap laptop ought to be fine for what you want unless you plan on playing the latest and greatest windows games in wine. Some high-end graphics hardware is problematic in Linux. The best thing would be to find several that you are interested, and post the specs here.

As far as India specifically, I have no idea. I can't imagine that the availablity of laptops there is terribly different than anywhere else, though I don't know what kind of hardware you can get at 50000R

ashwinrao
September 26th, 2011, 06:09 PM
You can refer these links before making your choices. The links are: http://www.linux-laptop.net/ , http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/ , http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html . Also make sure to check https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks .

Viva
September 26th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I don't really want to buy a mac book. Not a big fan of apple. Besides, does ubuntu work well on macbooks?

Viva
September 30th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Bump

vasa1
September 30th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Bump

Did you check out Ashwin's links?

drawkcab
October 1st, 2011, 07:03 AM
Lenovo thinkpad if you can find one.

LowSky
October 1st, 2011, 09:49 AM
Lenovo T series is your best bet.

aura7
October 1st, 2011, 09:52 AM
I would like to suggest the same ... that is go for a MacBook.

If you want a laptop to just run Ubuntu then even a Rs 12,000 Samsung Netbook are sufficient.

If you want to dual boot and run other operating systems also then go for a better laptop in 30k range.

Macbook are available at 55k.

varunendra
October 1st, 2011, 01:48 PM
The most recent laptop whose model name I remember is an HP Pavilion dv4-2101TU (Intel core i3-330, NOT Sandy Bridge) which I personally installed Ubuntu-Studio 9.10 upon, and works really great.

It cost Rs. 39,000/- approx. when purchased (March 2010), but more recently I handled another more advanced model (HP, perhaps Compaq) which has core i5-560 processor, and almost everything same as the Pavillion, and it cost less then Rs. 28,000/- (with carry-bag).

The Pavilion came with Win7 preinstalled (which usually adds Rs. 4 to 5k in laptop's price), while the latter one came with Free-DOS.

Overall, my experience with HP/Compaq+Ubuntu has been very good. Can't say about Sandy-Bridge models though. But if I have to make a choice right now, I would choose Sandy-Bridge anyway (in fact I have at least 14 models in my current list, including Dell, Lenovo and Acer). It's the latest model, more mature, more efficient. If Linux drivers show incompatibility at the moment, I would happily wait till they get mature, but won't compromise with the hardware.

Viva
November 7th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Hey, its me again. I have narrowed down my search to two lenovo laptops.

G570

core i32330
4GB DDR3
1GB ATI

Z570

core i52410M
4GB DDR3
2GB graphics card

The second one is worth nearly 14000 rupees more than the first, is it worth the extra price? Are there any major problems with lenovo g570/z570 laptops? A google search shows up some problems with wireless and graphics, but some of them seem to be fixed easily.