PDA

View Full Version : KDE on Netbook

StephanG
September 26th, 2011, 01:05 PM
As much as I love KDE, I've always been a bit skeptical about the Netbook interface. But, having finally gotten access to a actual netbook, I installed Kubuntu Oneiric Beta 2... And I have to say: I LOVE IT!

I just can't believe how efficient it is. Everything seems to always be a keystroke away. And the layout annoys me a lot less now that it's not spread out over a massive HD monitor anymore.

Oh, and also, I installed the "Low-fat" package from the repository and now Kubuntu is VERY snappy, and IT'S ONLY USING 200 MB! Well... Okay, it cruises at just over 300 now that I've enabled desktop indexing...

But still.. I just can't believe that it's possible to get a full desktop operating system running at full speed WITH wobbly windows, desktop cube, etc. WHILE desktop indexing is enabled, AND have it only use 300 MB memory.

So, in short, I just want to say to the various devs: Congratulations on a job well done!

Now... If I can just get the promised 8 hours out of my battery...

ilovelinux33467
September 26th, 2011, 01:11 PM
That low fat package definitely looks very interesting. Just out of curiosity what netbook model is it?

StephanG
September 26th, 2011, 01:16 PM
It's an LG X200. I'm actually surprised to find it's got 2 GB memory with two 1.8 GHz processors. (According to KDE, but I suspect that it's multi-threaded and not dual-core) I'm trying to find another netbook like it, but most seem to only have 1.66 GHz dual core with 1 GB ram.

Paqman
September 26th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I thought the low fat package turned off compositing?

ilovelinux33467
September 26th, 2011, 01:24 PM
It's an LG X200. I'm actually surprised to find it's got 2 GB memory with two 1.8 GHz processors. (According to KDE, but I suspect that it's multi-threaded and not dual-core) I'm trying to find another netbook like it, but most seem to only have 1.66 GHz dual core with 1 GB ram.

Thanks for the info.

StephanG
September 26th, 2011, 01:27 PM
It does a whole bunch of things, including turning off blue-tooth, changing the widget style, etc. But, compositing still works.

Although, I must also confess that I changed my compositing settings by telling it not to use OpenGL 2.0 shaders, as the built in Intel Graphics didn't play too nicely with them.

So, it could be that it left my compositing settings alone because I already altered them from default. Or, maybe they just decided that since compositing runs on the graphics card, they didn't need to turn it off... *shrugs*

StephanG
September 26th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Actually, this netbook isn't really mine. It belongs to my brother, who had graciously lent me his, and allowed me to install Linux onto it.

But I'm loving it so much, that I'm shopping for my own Netbook. Actually, that's partly why he lent me his, to see if I want to go through with it.

But, now I'm finding it surprisingly hard to find a website with a simple comparison. They all compare by brand, popularity or something equally stupid. I just want a website that will let me put in what I need, how much I can afford to pay, and show me what netbooks fufill those criteria.

Please, if anyone knows of a website that will let me filter netbooks based on hardware, rather than who makes it, I would greatly appreciate it.

BrokenKingpin
September 26th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I also think the netbook interface is pretty sweet. I am not sure I would use it as my primary interface on my netbook, I just think it is awesome that KDE can transform to a completely different layout with a click of a button.

One of the main reasons I don't stick with KDE is that it just feels so bloated. I have never heard of this "low fat" package, so I will have to give it a try.

Paqman
September 26th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I have never heard of this "low fat" package, so I will have to give it a try.

It's brand new in Oneiric.

BrokenKingpin
September 26th, 2011, 04:15 PM
It's brand new in Oneiric.
Probably why I have not heard about it until now lol. Once Oneiric is officially released I will give Kubuntu another try with this.

With each release of Kubuntu/KDE I like it a little bit more. It is currently not enough to pull me away from Xfce, but it is getting pretty close (never thought I would say this).

sffvba[e0rt
September 26th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Just read about it over @ OMG Ubuntu - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/09/kubuntu-low-fat-settings-speed-boost-older-hardware/

drawkcab
September 27th, 2011, 04:41 AM
That is good news given the fact that many of us will be displaced from our Gnome 2.x desktops in the near future.