PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] All seems weird, installation bugs

Penguinion
September 26th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hey!

I've had some continuous problems regarding the installation of Ubuntu, from 9 to 11.

When I installed 9.4 it told me no new updates where available for the OS, so I decided to transfer the .iso file to a new CD disk, and when i launched it in my computer, the installation seemed very weird, some textures and images where buggy and not exactly how i pictured them, anyways, I managed to install it fine. So when I launch my computer, chosing Ubuntu (I partially have windows XP media edition), it started up and froze at a black screen, showing only the mouse.

Help, plax!

mikewhatever
September 26th, 2011, 12:28 PM
9.04 is no longer supported, so the repositories are gone, no wonder you couldn't get updates. The currently supported releases are 10.04, 10.10, 11.04.
To troubleshoot the graphics, post the computer specs.

Penguinion
October 3rd, 2011, 07:33 AM
Sorry for answering so late, but I reckon that would be a problem, unfortunately.

Here are my specs!
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Chipset - NVIDIA GeForce 6100
Memory - (Unknown manufacturer) 2x512 MB
Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Sometime in the future, I'm going to buy a new computer, I just hope this one can coexist with ubuntu, for the time being.

Thanks

Edit:
Sorry for not mentioning, but it was the newest version that I couldn't install ..

2F4U
October 3rd, 2011, 08:18 AM
Try to add nomodeset to the grub2 kernel boot parameters and see if you can start. You probably need to install the proprietary nVidia drivers to get it permanently working.

Penguinion
October 3rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
That sounds very promising, although, I'm not sure how to proceed. How do I add the "nomodeset" to the grub2 kernel?

I recognize all the words and commands, but I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks

presence1960
October 3rd, 2011, 09:03 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
That sounds very promising, although, I'm not sure how to proceed. How do I add the "nomodeset" to the grub2 kernel?

I recognize all the words and commands, but I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Penguinion
October 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I ran Ubuntu 11.4 with "nomodeset", worked perfectly! Then I installed the drivers easily with guidance from the os.

Everything works perfectly now! Thanks guys.

mörgæs
October 4th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Good, then please mark the thread 'solved'.

By the way, the name is 11.04 (referring to release in year 2011 and month 04).