PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failure to install

bricabrack
September 26th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Hi everyone, I tried to install " Natty Narwhal" and it failed to install properly. It stuck on a line saying "detecting files". After waiting for an hour for it to complete loading I gave up and shut the computer down.
Now comes the tragic bit , I can`t get it to boot my Windows system or anything else for that matter all that I am left with is "Natty Narwhal" on a USB stick. Help please! Bricabrack.

MG&TL
September 26th, 2011, 12:13 AM
What sort of machine do you have?

Try again with the USB, with Unetbootin.

What happens when the system boots to the hard disk? (most likely "grub rescue>" or "No Operating system found")

bricabrack
September 27th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Hello MG&TL, Many thanks for your reply I am still suffering the problem. My machine is a Toshiba satellite pro40. When I try to start Natty nothing happens then after about 30 secs a blank screen appears with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. The problem seems to revolve around the fact that the installation process does not complete. I go through all the required steps from the first installation screen right through to the series of pages telling me about the various applications in the Natty 11.04 system and finally thanking me for installing it. Then nothing further happens. I am really struggling with this one, Any suggestions that don`t involve petrol and matches would be greatly appreciated. Regards bricabrack!

MG&TL
September 27th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Try the 10.04LTS version, it is meant to be more stable. It's not that Natty is not stable, it is just that sometimes you are unlucky with hardware. There's a laptop incompatibility thread somewhere.

mörgæs
September 27th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Nothing indicates that your computer is not compatible with Buntu, but it does sound like you need boot options. There are some links explaining how in this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1580857

bricabrack
October 2nd, 2011, 11:43 PM
Hello everyone, Firstly my apologies for not continueing this thread earlier. Next many thanks to MG & TL for your advice in pointing me in the right direction in solving part of my problem. The good news is that " Natty Narwhal" is now installed and working. However "Grub 2" is not seeing my other OP system "Windows vista" and therefore not offering a menu on startup where I can select vista. Consequently I am not able to get into vista where many of my working files are located. Anyone got any ideas?