PDA

View Full Version : Survey: Who *shouldn't* use Ubuntu?

qBaz
May 31st, 2006, 04:00 AM
Hey, folks -- I'm hoping this isn't violently against etiquette, but I'm writing a paper for school on geeks and their ways, and I'd love to solicit some short opinions from folks in the Ubuntu community, both newbies and old-hands. My question is: in a sentence or two, describe who should use Ubuntu, and who shouldn't. Extra credit: Which category do you fall into, and how clearly?

Thanks, and again, my apologies for the borderline spam. I'll slink away quietly if I've given any offense.

aysiu
May 31st, 2006, 04:02 AM
Maybe you should link from your other post about this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1070736#post1070736) to this thread saying that you have decided to continue the discussion elsewhere.

ProjectGod
May 31st, 2006, 04:04 AM
TROLL!!! just kidding. i used to be a troll myself :lol:

answer to your question:

those who should use linux are those who are willing to put up with the initial frustration... the steep learning curve.

those who shouldn't use it are those who prefer otherwise.

========================================

bleep.

Sef
May 31st, 2006, 04:09 AM
describe ... and who shouldn't (use Ubuntu)

Those who will miss Window's malware (spyware, viruses, worms, trojans, etc.) shouldn't use Ubuntu or any GNU-Linux.

Kilz
May 31st, 2006, 04:22 AM
Who should use Linux? Anyone willing to learn or try something new.

Who shouldn't use Linux? Someone who hates change, just wants the OS to work out of the box, or wants Linux to be Windows without a price tag.

I think I fall into the those that should use Linux. I no longer have a windows partition (gone over a month now).

IYY
May 31st, 2006, 04:27 AM
Who should use it? Anyone who wants to.
Who shouldn't use it? Anyone who doesn't want to.

Really, this is all there is to it.

aysiu
May 31st, 2006, 04:31 AM
just wants the OS to work out of the box "out of the box" means "comes preinstalled and preconfigured," right? If so, Ubuntu works "out of the box" on these (http://www.system76.com).

Raavea
May 31st, 2006, 06:23 AM
"out of the box" means "comes preinstalled and preconfigured," right? If so, Ubuntu works "out of the box" on these (http://www.system76.com).
*drowns in her own drool*
http://system76.com/product_info.php/cPath/2/products_id/4
...I need a job!

Bartender
May 31st, 2006, 07:50 AM
If you're stuck with dial-up, like we are, that's a pretty good reason to skip Linux. If I need the latest version of OpenOffice or Firefox or whatever for my Windows-based PC I bring my thumb drive to work and get on the broadband connection.

As you know, it doesn't work that way with Ubuntu.

sharkey77
May 31st, 2006, 08:43 AM
Anyone with old hardware

Perfect Storm
May 31st, 2006, 08:51 AM
Who *shouldn't* use Ubuntu?

Those who don't want to. ;)

egon spengler
May 31st, 2006, 10:04 AM
If you're stuck with dial-up, like we are, that's a pretty good reason to skip Linux. If I need the latest version of OpenOffice or Firefox or whatever for my Windows-based PC I bring my thumb drive to work and get on the broadband connection.

As you know, it doesn't work that way with Ubuntu.

I would agree that in general Linux seems heavily broadband friendly (though I honestly think the same applies to Windows) but in this example why can't you download the debs at work and then install them at home?

In fact I know for certain that Firefox has a Linux installer and I think OO does too so you don't even need debs really

Kernel Sanders
May 31st, 2006, 11:48 AM
I fall into the "shouldnt use Ubuntu" catagory actually. :(

I am a Windows XP power user. I love Windows XP, Microsoft Office and Windows Media Player. I have no problem with MS's prices either. (their high, but i'm lucky enough to be able to easily afford it)

Actually, I suppose you could call me an MS fanboy. :(

However, i'm also a big advocate of personal freedoms/privacy etc..... and I find the future of DRM frightening :(

So Ubuntu is my "bomb shelter" if you will. Its my place to run to when the "DRM explosion" happens, and intrusive hardware and software based DRM are rife. :p

xXx 0wn3d xXx
May 31st, 2006, 12:20 PM
People who think that Linux is just like Windows shouldn't just switch over. They hear that Linux has no spyware, malware, viruses, defragmentation, or registry cleaning so they end up installing Ubuntu/or other Linux distro over their existing os, loosing all their data. That's how we get threads like, "Ubuntu broke windows." All these people can learn to use Ubuntu easily by spending time with it. Maybe if people askes questions before installing, there would not be as many problems.

unbuntu
May 31st, 2006, 12:37 PM
I thought this thread was about what type of people shouldn't use Ubuntu...

the OP's question is almost like "whoever isn't here, put up your hand..." :D

red_Marvin
May 31st, 2006, 01:06 PM
Those who are afraid to use the commandline/tinker themselves might want to choose something else, since AFAIK ubuntu doesn't come with the technical upport that oem windows preconfigured boxes come with. There's great help at forums like this of course, but you'll still have to do the at-the-forum-suggested changes yourself.

ubuntu_demon
May 31st, 2006, 01:18 PM
Hey, folks -- I'm hoping this isn't violently against etiquette, but I'm writing a paper for school on geeks and their ways, and I'd love to solicit some short opinions from folks in the Ubuntu community, both newbies and old-hands. My question is: in a sentence or two, describe who should use Ubuntu,

IMHO this falls down into five groups :

ex-debian users. Possible reasons : newer software,nice community,polish.

other linux users who formerly used another distro. Possible reasons : easy,nice community,polish.

People who feel windows is not secure enough and they don't have enough control over windows.

people who feel windows is not secure enough and who only need to do simple tasks like browsing,chatting and using e-mail.

people who want an easy installable secure,stable server with recent software. (debian is also very good here)

and who shouldn't.

IMHO four groups of people :

Users who play a lot of recent commercial games. (unless you only want to play ID games such as quake 4)

Users who run commercial software which isn't possible to run in Ubuntu and there's no alternative software solution.

Users without patience unless they only want to use e-mail, webbrowser and gaim. If they want to do more things they need a bit of patience sometimes. Users who think windows is easy but don't realise it's quite hard to install and configure windows to run secure and stable.

Users who don't have a broadband internet connection.

Extra credit: Which category do you fall into, and how clearly?

I fall into a combination of these groups :

ex-debian users. Possible reasons : newer software,nice community,polish.

People who feel windows is not secure enough and they don't have enough control over windows.

I didn't use debian as my primary desktop (I used windows XP) but I have used it.

G Morgan
May 31st, 2006, 01:49 PM
Firstly I am a Linux user because I like the concept of control of my OS.
I am an Debian based distro user because I like the Debian package system and the general quality of what is produced by Debian. I have installed native Debian packages in Debian derived distributions without any problem.

I like Ubuntu because the defaults make sense to me. I like that sudo is setup properly from the start, I can do it myself but its preferable for an OS to default to a useful behaviour. I also like Ubuntu because the focus is narrower than Debian which allows them to stablise a few key packages much quicker and keep the distro up to date.

People who are willing to learn and not always get everything given to them should try Linux.

If not then people with things like unsupported wireless networks should stay away. There is no problem for people who use normal ethernet, and most sound and graphics cards are well supported these days.

Also if you have a Lexmark printer your likely to get more ink out of your HDD currently under Linux.

fuscia
May 31st, 2006, 02:04 PM
as just a humble end user, i think anyone can use it, except for cattle maybe.

Harold P
May 31st, 2006, 02:46 PM
Someone who is scared of a white Monospace font on a black background... :p

onesojourner
May 31st, 2006, 04:25 PM
I think any one can use ubuntu, but there is a difference between using it and getting it set up. my grandma could use ubuntu but she would never figure out how to get it set up with media codecs and such.

Mathias-K
May 31st, 2006, 04:50 PM
I guess noone shouldn't use Ubuntu. I really won't force anyone to use any OS. It's their decision. However, I'd say that Ubuntu is a non-ideal platform for:

- Gamers (Windows just works with SLI/CF gaming)
- Hardware/benchmarking geeks (poor hardware support and no real benchmarks in Linux)
- Professionals (Adobe PS CS2, CAD software..)
- People that use advanced MS Office features.

Stone123
May 31st, 2006, 06:01 PM
shoulden't :
http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=298527&highlight=ubuntu
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=109229

GarethMB
May 31st, 2006, 06:37 PM
For me, the only people who should use linux are those willing to adapt and learn. This particularly means, reading and trying to help yourself. If you can't be bothered to learn how Linux is different from Windows, don't bother migrating.

polo_step
May 31st, 2006, 08:45 PM
Anyone with old hardware
Anyone with new hardware.

FrancoNero
June 1st, 2006, 09:50 PM
people who shouldn't use ubuntu:
- gamers
- if rely on ms-only software (dreamweaver, CAD, etc..) and not into Wine
- extreme multimedia people (video editing, etc)
- if you want to take advantage of all the internet has to offer with just the standard setup (setting up codecs etc needs time and well, this is linux, nothing was made for linux)
- people unwilling to learn, adapt. people who dont like change

people who should use ubuntu:
- everyone else?

Starchild
June 1st, 2006, 10:44 PM
Hard core gamers and graphic designers.

neoflight
June 2nd, 2006, 12:19 AM
Hey, folks -- I'm hoping this isn't violently against etiquette, but I'm writing a paper for school on geeks and their ways, and I'd love to solicit some short opinions from folks in the Ubuntu community, both newbies and old-hands. My question is: in a sentence or two, describe who should use Ubuntu, and who shouldn't. Extra credit: Which category do you fall into, and how clearly?

Thanks, and again, my apologies for the borderline spam. I'll slink away quietly if I've given any offense.

those who doesnt have the patience to learn;
appreciate the hard work by the devs, delegates, and the community, and not giving back by atleast helping others,
is not qualified to use ubuntu...

richbarna
June 2nd, 2006, 01:05 AM
Whingers shouldn't use Ubuntu.
Anybody who posts a whingey "Linux sucks because..." message on a forum.
People who whinge about not having everything done for them.
Did I mention whingers ?

polo_step
June 2nd, 2006, 01:24 AM
There is a LOT more modern hardware support in this version. I'm impressed.

Haegin
August 19th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Anybody could use linux.
Nobody should use linux.

After all, linux stands for freedom of choice doesn't it?

aysiu
August 19th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Nobody should use linux. What?

Tomosaur
August 19th, 2006, 06:11 PM
He/she was implying that nobody should be forced to use linux.

aysiu
August 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Ah. Makes more sense now.

Gijith
August 19th, 2006, 07:07 PM
People with very little time on their hands. I've noticed that since I've been using XP more, I've been spending a bit less time fixing little annoyances on my PC. This has nothing to do with one OS having more annoyances than another (after using both, it seems about equal to me). It's more that when I run into a problem or want to figure out how to do something on Windows, it's much easier to find a solution (Gooogle hits about a 1000 to 1) and implement (no commmand line).

aysiu
August 19th, 2006, 07:22 PM
People with very little time on their hands. I've noticed that since I've been using XP more, I've been spending a bit less time fixing little annoyances on my PC. This has nothing to do with one OS having more annoyances than another (after using both, it seems about equal to me). It's more that when I run into a problem or want to figure out how to do something on Windows, it's much easier to find a solution (Gooogle hits about a 1000 to 1) and implement (no commmand line).
I've found the exact opposite.

I just do a Google search in the Ubuntu Forums (more hits doesn't mean better hits):
site:ubuntuforums.org name of my problem The answer is usually in the top three results, and I find command-line instructions easier to implement--just copy and paste them into the terminal.

simukas
August 19th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I think i fall for the not to use cattegory.I've been using dos and windows from the time i was 6 years old......... I mastered the system, and i really enjoy it but i still don't like microsoft and the money he's charging for a simple OS. so i got my PC and becasuse it didn'yt have a OS i got ubuntu which was a pain in the *** to use. I couldn't get anything fun out of it. For thr first 2 months i just saw it but didn't use. After that i made it run some 3D software, PSX and GBA games. After that it crashed... My dream is to use Windows but not Microsoft Windows.. That will never happen :D . SO that's my opinion

Arisna
August 19th, 2006, 07:54 PM
People who value freedom in computing, are willing to learn, and want the functionality of a powerful and user-friendly operating system should definitely consider Ubuntu in my opinion. Users of other GNU/Linux distributions who are experienced in the ways of more difficult Unix-like operating systems can switch to Ubuntu, know almost exactly what they are doing, and feel right at home with few problems without sacrificing any of the power they are used to. I know, because I fall into the latter category myself.

EdThaSlayer
October 30th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Those who will miss Window's malware (spyware, viruses, worms, trojans, etc.) shouldn't use Ubuntu or any GNU-Linux.

:-D nice answer!!!
i agree completely with you!
also those that dont have the *~brains~* to keep up with the learning curve from windows to linux shouldnt use any distribution of GNU-Linux that is totally 100% free!