PDA

View Full Version : How to restore Windows 7 Starter?

Jesse Tustin
September 25th, 2011, 09:35 PM
?

howefield
September 25th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Thread moved to "Other OS/Distro Talk"

The words that normally come before a question mark have disappeared.

haqking
September 25th, 2011, 09:51 PM
?

use your Windows 7 disk or restore to factory settings if your laptop supports it and you havent at some point removed the recovery parition.

dependong on your laptop press ctrl+f11 or press f8 to a get a menu. How you do that or if it is an option depends on your laptop and what you have done.

if not then restore disks if you have them, or the windows disk if you have it.

If you have none of them then happy ubuntuing ;-)

Jesse Tustin
September 25th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I have a netbook. :(

haqking
September 25th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I have a netbook. :(

and ?

back to what i said above. do you have the disks, recovery partition, install disks ?

if not then you cant install or restore to something you dont have ;-)

TheConsaw
September 25th, 2011, 10:02 PM
download EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1) from neosmart, scroll down their page for a free personal version, its a simple windows app, you can re-write the windows mbr in about 2 clicks of a mouse

Jesse Tustin
September 25th, 2011, 10:03 PM
No, my netbook doesn't take them.
It came installed.
I also tried the menu, didn't work.
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

haqking
September 25th, 2011, 10:04 PM
download EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1) from neosmart, scroll down their page for a free personal version, its a simple windows app, you can re-write the windows mbr in about 2 clicks of a mouse

Only any good if he has a windows disk or windows exists on the HDD still.

right now all the OP has said is a ? and netbook

haqking
September 25th, 2011, 10:05 PM
No, my netbook doesn't take them.
It came installed.
I also tried the menu, didn't work.
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

so how did you install Ubuntu then ?

is it a dual boot ?

Jesse Tustin
September 25th, 2011, 10:08 PM
No, I had a USB, had the LiveCD on it, installed Ubuntu, removed W7S (Windows 7)
and, boom. There you go.
------------------------------------------
Spread the fail whale!
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

haqking
September 25th, 2011, 10:11 PM
No, I had a USB, had the LiveCD on it, installed Ubuntu, removed W7S (Windows 7)
and, boom. There you go.
------------------------------------------
Spread the fail whale!
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

well if you asked windows 7 to be removed and you dont have an installation medium for Windows 7 then no you cant , simply put ;-)

TheConsaw
September 25th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Only any good if he has a windows disk or windows exists on the HDD still.

right now all the OP has said is a ? and netbookah sorry, my mistake, I misinterpreted the question, I assumed op was refering to grub !! lol ! not windows starter edition :p

coffeecat
September 25th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I couldn't see that you answered one of haqking's questions: is there a recovery partition still on the netbook? When you installed Ubuntu, did you wipe out the recovery partition as well as the Windows partition? What make of netbook is it?

Mark Phelps
September 26th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Other complications ...

Netbooks typically do NOT come with Recovery CDs because they also typically do not come with optical drives. So, there is likely NO CD the OP can use to do a full restore.

Win7 starter is not available (legally) for purchase, so the OP can't go out and buy a copy and install that.

To the OP: You need to find out if your Recovery partition is still present on the netbook, and if it is, what key combination you press to do a restore. You may need to boot from an Ubuntu USB stick and run Disk Utility or Gnome Partition Editor to remove the Ubuntu partition before attempting the Restore.

If the Recovery partition is gone, or you can't do a Restore, your only alternative will be to contact the supplier of the Netbook and see what they will do for you.

Jesse Tustin
September 26th, 2011, 11:34 PM
"When you installed Ubuntu, did you wipe out the recovery partition as well as the Windows partition? What make of netbook is it?"
It is an ACER Aspire ONE AOD-260, and I don't know if I did or not, but it displays a command prompt every boot-up. So I'm not sure.

Jesse Tustin
September 26th, 2011, 11:36 PM
BTW, It's a non-Ubuntu prompt.

TheNosh
September 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Do you have another computer you can use? One with Windows?

You'll need one to set this up. Otherwise I've no idea how to help.

Download a backup of any edition of Windows (legally, I believe. It's from official download links) from here: http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/
(It just has to be for the right architecture)

Then follow the instructions to make the image able to install Starter from here: http://www.windowsvalley.com/unlock-all-editions-from-windows-7-iso-image-x86-and-x64/
(That's the part you need Windows for)

Then Put the image on to a USB drive using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool if you're on Windows, or UNetbootin if you're on Linux.
The Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool can be found here: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Unless you can find a way to unlock Starter edition on the installation media without the Windows Automated Installation Kit, you're going to need a Windows computer.