PDA

View Full Version : Stop fixing things that aren't broken

mauvebic
September 25th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I bought new speakers with a sub two weeks ago, but i noticed after a few minutes/seconds the sub would stop working. I went through dozen of forums all proposing solutions that mostly work just for the OP's hardware profile.

Then i decided to go back to basics and just get rid of pulseaudio alltogether, lo and behold, my sub works 24/7 :-) But now for every fresh install i have to remember to yank out pulseaudio, and screw around with the video settings too to prevent tearing during playback, which also never used to happen.

If linux is supposed to be compatible with older hardware, why is it every new release forgets how to handle a particular piece of hardware... the computer is only 3 years old.

This isnt aimed at ubuntu devs in particular, im just expressing general frustration at how its all getting more complicated to do the simplest things.

BeRoot ReBoot
September 25th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Hating on pulseaudio is so 2 years ago. All the hip people are hating unity and gnome-shell now, get with the program.

mauvebic
September 25th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hating on pulseaudio is so 2 years ago. All the hip people are hating unity and gnome-shell now, get with the program.

I know its soo 2 years ago - but what does it say about its developers if we still have the same bugs/problems after all this time?

Dont worry, i switched to xfce a long time ago, i already have a smartphone, didnt really see a point to having a new UI on my desktop.

Just seems like were adding more layers on top of perfectly functional components.

FuturePilot
September 25th, 2011, 07:28 PM

:lolflag:

sffvba[e0rt
September 25th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Ah yes...

@OP, your frustration is noted. This however is not the most constructive method for getting the issue resolved.