PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu!!!!

Slapdash
March 7th, 2005, 01:39 PM
I WILL NEVER DOUBT YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

I am forever yours!!

I just had to say this.
After strugling a bit in the beginning I thing I'm trying to get the hang of it.
Man, I come from MEPIS and MANDRAKE and KDE.
I will be installing UBUNTU on my box at work now ( replacing Mepis ).
Its a stringent test. I work with an ALL windows ( 200+ ) people and network.
We have on Red Hat Server.
I actually have a problem here. I can browse the etwork but it doesnt give me access to shared folders ( unless I C$ and enter the user's password )

I struggled with 4 Distro's to get my Exchange ( Evolution ) working to no Aavail.
I was using web based exchange and I felt very dissapointed by now, I thought I'm going to re-install Warty after having removed it for Mepis. Reasons? :

mp3, Flash, java
ROOT access problems.
I though KDE was great.

MAN Am I glad I percevered(sp) a bit!!

I LOVE UBUNTU
I LOVE GNOME - MAn is KDE a bloated UGLY package ;)
Root access, It got solved for me on a FEDORA board, can you believe it? after I strugled to get the right help here. Hmm maybe I asked wrong.

Got my root problems solved ( still a bit off troubles I will post that later. )
Gnome - man its so configureable XML and everything. FAST It is probly twice as fast as my KDE was!

COMMUNITY, COMMUNITY COMMUNITY.
THese forums are great. the help and resources are getting there very quickly.

DEBIAN DEBIAN DEBIAN. I will never go back to a RPM based Distro. Well I said never before but they will have to do A LOT for me to return.

My MAIL! Evolution worked with a couple of clicks and I'm getting my mail from an exchange server!! I tried this with 4 other distro's ( even installing evolution ) without results. Dont ask me why UBUNTU works and not the others.

Sort out the Root issue ( make it easier for people to have a root access log-on by default. i.e Session.

My modem doesnt work but I'll get that sorted ( I'm using my works Diginet line )
but would love to give this package to my Fiance's dad.
I installed Mepis for him and he was so impressed that his printer was installed and recognized, OpenOffice etc. Then came KPPP and it didnt pick up his modem ( thats what actually got me to install UBUNTU Warty to check how it does ) It didnt fare any better on my system as well.

Azz told me to go to Linmodems - I'll do that after this post.

Best off all I'm actually learning with UBUNTU and its fun. With Mepis/Fedora, Mandrake there is a lot of hand holding. ( wich is not nessecerely a bad thing ) but I like the feel of UBUNTU.

Anyway, UBUNTU dev's you are on the right track.
a sincere, thank you

kahping
March 7th, 2005, 01:47 PM
another satisfied user =D>

way to go Ubuntu!

i, too, have some minor problems with Ubuntu, but nothing that will stop me from adopting it as my distro of choice. :mrgreen:

kahping

Slapdash
March 7th, 2005, 02:39 PM
:smile: yep it is really cool. I think most of my problems arent due to ubuntu as much as my ignorance. But I'm working on it.

defkewl
March 8th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Ow no, another Ubuntu freak. j/k
Why did you moved from Mepis? I thought Mepis was a great distro and has a very slick desktop.

bored2k
March 8th, 2005, 03:25 AM
DEBIAN DEBIAN DEBIAN. I will never go back to a RPM based Distro. Well I said never before but they will have to do A LOT for me to return.

I could not have said it better .

$ apt-get rocks!
I know I do
$ :o

\\:D/

macewan
March 8th, 2005, 03:51 AM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_dance.gif

poofyhairguy
March 8th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Root access, It got solved for me on a FEDORA board, can you believe it? after I strugled to get the right help here.

Not suprising. Fedora is good peoples.

You where I go for the stumpers? The gentoo forum. More Linux knowledge there than a few chain bookstores combined!

Slapdash
March 8th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Ow no, another Ubuntu freak. j/k
Why did you moved from Mepis? I thought Mepis was a great distro and has a very slick desktop.

Yeah its a cool desktop for KDE but I discovered Gnome - and theres no going back baby! I also like the fact that ubuntu is a LOT leaner.

THere is a couple of things Mepis does great but I thing Ubuntu can incorporate the same things - If they would, there would be no stopping it.

That actually brings me to a question can I instal SMBk2 for Ubuntu? Its a SAMBA client. I'm having troubles at work getting access to the network with UBUNTU whereas Mepis it just works.

@ poofyhairyguy - ( PS. I laugh everytime I read your nick :) )

Yeah they are very cool people there at Fedora, I'll take your advice on the Gentoo thing as well.