PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 42" 720p 600Hz TV as monitor???

tptmrk
September 24th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I'd like to buy a 42" 720p 600Hz 3D TV for my PS3 and the only place for it is in the office with my desktop computer. I'd like to save space and just hook up the computer to it, too (it has a 15pin input). :popcorn:

Is it possible to get a decent enough resolution at about 4ft from the monitor? If not, is it possible for Ubuntu to only use a portion of the monitor? I should mention I have a relatively old Insignia d400a computer... I don't know much about hardware, so I don't know if the computer itself might also be a limiting factor.

Thanks for any input!

tgalati4
September 25th, 2011, 04:43 AM
TV's generally don't make great monitors and vice versa. I have a Samsung 23" dual display. It's really a computer monitor but has a built in tuner and it makes an OK TV, but it's a better monitor.

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions. Besides 4 foot distance, you need to consider ambient light levels, vertical viewing angle, desktop font size, etc. Also, cheaper TV's generally have lower resolutions. For instance an HD15 (AKA VGA input) will probably be limited to 1600 by 1200. Since the TV is 720, you may only get 1600 x 800. To get higher resolutions, you need DVI and a monitor designed to display computer graphics.

tptmrk
September 25th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Would 1600X800 be decent resolution for a 42" Tv at 8ft? (don't know how that compares to 720p) Worst case I'd like to set up the computer monitor off to the side for work and use the TV as monitor 2 for streaming hulu plus and crackle. Do I need a 1080p TV to accomplish that?

tptmrk
October 1st, 2011, 07:55 AM
I get the feeling this is like the political discussions where I state as an education expert that we need to educate the whole child and someone from the business sector says we have to quantify learning through standardized testing in the same way we quantify sales reports and stock values. :confused: (see also Enron)

:KS I've tried to search for more info based on the response I received below and can't find any useful info because I don't fully understand the subject. :confused: (human knowledge is literally doubling at unprecedented rates and I can only keep up as an expert in my field of expertise, which I spend countless hours studying to stay ahead of the experts and laymen.)

There must be more to this than the layman understands through marketing (i.e. political doublespeak) :cool: because the same layman/businessman mentioned above doesn't understand that music and art can defy standardized quantification in any meaningful way.

Here is my hopefully quantifiable question: will a 42" 720p or 1080p with a 15pin input at 4-5ft look reasonable compared to my 17" 1280X1024 computer monitor does at 2ft?

*I don't look at this computer more than an hour a day and want it to not hurt my eyes at 4-5ft for < 1hr/day and for it to look good as a TV (for PS3, which I know will work, plus crackle through the computer at 8ft). Do I need to spend the extra money for 1080p (or is this a false dichotomy for what I need because this subject is outside of my expertise just like education is outside the expertise of businessmen)? I'll gladly provide more numbers for the specific models in question if I have not provided enough objective information.

I'll also gladly provide more info if you don't believe that being a well educated person is not quantifiable in the same way we quantify stocks.

mzycdth
October 1st, 2011, 05:28 PM
that was some expertly written prose until the misuse of "dichotomy" in the context of "false economy". :popcorn:

diasf
October 1st, 2011, 06:01 PM
Nobody can really answer that question, except yourself.

From the technical point of view works. The point is if would satisfy you.

Go to a store, ask the dude to put something alike a PC on the screen (on a TV of same model), put yourself 4ft away and see what you think. It's the only sure way to do it.

tgalati4
October 1st, 2011, 06:45 PM
The short answer is no. It will look like crap. The computer hookup for a TV is OK for viewing family photos and an occasional YouTube video, but for reading email or browsing the web at 4 feet, then it will generally suck.

I apologize if my previous answer was too technical. TV's suck as monitors.

tptmrk
October 1st, 2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks! I hope I didn't seem like I was mad at your answer. :) I couldn't wrap my head around how 1600X800 would suck for email while 1280X720 is great for TV, but I'm going to take your word for it and not plan on the TV working as a monitor.

The short answer is no. It will look like crap. The computer hookup for a TV is OK for viewing family photos and an occasional YouTube video, but for reading email or browsing the web at 4 feet, then it will generally suck.

I apologize if my previous answer was too technical. TV's suck as monitors.

tptmrk
October 1st, 2011, 07:34 PM
that was some expertly written prose until the misuse of "dichotomy" in the context of "false economy". :popcorn:

Ha! Not that it really matters but I meant "is my question of buying 720p or 1080p a false dichotomy because neither will work for what I need?" Looks like my answer is that I need to stick with a computer monitor, making that question a false dichotomy.

mzycdth
October 2nd, 2011, 12:11 AM
Ha! Not that it really matters but I meant "is my question of buying 720p or 1080p a false dichotomy because neither will work for what I need?" Looks like my answer is that I need to stick with a computer monitor, making that question a false dichotomy.

Haha, I'm glad you took that in good form.

I agree with your decision, I dual screen with an old LG and the quality is markedly reduced on the larger screen.

diasf
October 2nd, 2011, 01:50 AM
I had to google how long 4feet was... way shorter than i thought.

I'm using, right now, a 32' TV to write this. It's my working machine, and I'm 1m or so away of it.
Emacs, console, everything. At most a few settings here and there to match the fonts sizes and stuff.

(It's wonderful to play world of warcraft! :P )

SeijiSensei
October 2nd, 2011, 02:27 AM
I have a 40" Sony Bravia connected to a PC running Kubuntu 10.10. I use an NVIDIA 9500GT with DVI out; it's attached to the TV's HDMI port with a converter cable. At 1280x720 it looks great, not only for video, but for text as well. I've also tried a VGA cable; the image seems a bit washed out compared to the digital connection, but otherwise it's perfectly legible. I'm sitting about 10 feet from it right now. A wireless keyboard and mouse completes the package.