PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu installs with erasing disk but still somehow boots to Windows

King Big Ben
September 24th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Hey everybody,

I just dug out an old tower i had with one of the first gen 64 bit Athlon processors on it. I wanted to wipe windows off completely and install 64 bit Ubuntu. I booted from the cd, tested it out a bit, then ran the install. I chose to "erase disk and install Ubuntu." The install ran flawlessly. When I rebooted the machine, however, it boots straight back into windows (which should have been wiped off). I go to install Ubuntu again and it acts as though it installed fine, and I go to manually change partitions and it reads as though it was properly installed before, and there are no extra partitions. It's been a while since I've messed with different OS's and partitions, so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Ben

searchfgold6789
September 24th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Seriously? :lolflag:
I guess I would try simply removing the Windows partition using the Live CD first, then install Ubuntu, if everything else is working. You may use a different Live CD, such as the grub rescue disk or even better the Paragon HD Manager (always get the Server Edition of this, it's much awesomer).

OpenJacob
September 24th, 2011, 10:56 PM
To completely remove Windows you must run a partitioning software such as fdisk, Gparted... which comes standard in Ubuntu and reformat the drive.

To dualboot Win with Lin you can have a look at this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

King Big Ben
September 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I actually figured it out...I forgot I had an external hard drive plugged in, and Ubuntu wasn't listing my internal hard drive...so I ended up installing Ubuntu to my external. My new problem is I can't figure out how to get it to recognize my internal hard drive as something to install to. I'll search around and see if I can find an answer, otherwise I'll start a new thread.

Thanks,

-Ben