PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu w/o an Internet connection

marcomayer
September 24th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I'm trying to install 11.04 on my desktop PC with the alternate CD but Ubuntu requires connecting to the internet in order to get the packages. Thing is, I didn't have a wireless receiver until yesterday (I only used notebooks, so there was no need to have one).

Is there any way I can install 11.04 on my PC without an internet connection for now? I didn't configurate my new receiver before trying to install Ubuntu and I have no idea of how to configurate it during the installation.

dino99
September 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM
you can use http://keryxproject.org/ for offline updates and packages

marcomayer
September 24th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks, but isn't Keryx usable only after the computer is running Ubuntu? I can't even install the thing because of the lack of a proper connection.

LinuxFan999
September 24th, 2011, 06:14 PM
The alternate CD does require an internet connection, so you could use an Ethernet cable to connect you computer to your router while Installing Ubuntu. After installing Ubuntu, you can configure your wireless receiver, then disconnect the Ethernet cable.

marcomayer
September 24th, 2011, 06:21 PM
The alternate CD does require an internet connection, so you could use an Ethernet cable to connect you computer to your router while Installing Ubuntu. After installing Ubuntu, you can configure your wireless receiver, then disconnect the Ethernet cable.

Nice, I'm going to try that now.

marcomayer
September 24th, 2011, 06:47 PM
When installing the packages, I get several warnings that this and that are corrupt and could not be downloaded. That's weird, I did all the MD5SUM checks and they were OK.

I'm giving up on Ubuntu and Imma try Crunchbang instead; this is the third time I try to install it to no avail.