PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu and win7 are not working

skimg08
September 24th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I am a beginner in ubuntu. I tried to install ubuntu 11.04 in my laptop which already has a windows7 running on it. The installation went well. But when I boot into ubuntu, the laptop always hang after I login. When I tried to boot into win7, I can't login instead I got a message telling me that I have a problem that prevents me to log into my win7. I think it has something to do with registry? Now I don't know how to solve this prob. I will really appreciate any help from you guys, a lot of important data is inside that laptop.

Thanks!

sanderd17
September 24th, 2011, 04:35 PM
So you can boot both OS, but you can't log in for both too?

Normally these two problems have nothing to do with each other.

For Ubuntu, when you are at the login screen, the point where you have to give in your password, can you log into gnome without effects instead of Unity? (a list at the bottom of your screen)

skimg08
September 24th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Yes, I can boot but can't login.

But just now I got my friend help me, now I can login to ubuntu. The problem with ubuntu is that my installation is not complete. So I have to run ubuntu (classic) and it works. But now the problem is my Win7 is still not working. My Win7 is installed in the 'C' drive while my Ubuntu is installed in 'D' drive. Do you have any idea why is it crashing now?

Mark Phelps
September 24th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Do you have any idea why is it crashing now?

NO, but I can guess -- you used the "side by side" option to shrink your Win7 install, right?

That has the unfortunate side effect of sometimes corrupting the Win7 install and rendering it unbootable.

BEFORE you did that, you should have used the Win7 Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. You could be using that now to repair your Win7 install and making it bootable again.

Since you probably did NOT do that, then go to the link below and download the appropriate Win7 version and burn the ISO to disk:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

BTW, you have to PAY for these now ... which you could have had for FREE had you done this before the Ubuntu install.

sanderd17
September 24th, 2011, 07:02 PM
In some jurisdictions it is legal to use cracked CDs for this (since you have a license already).

Not that I know any sources of cracked CDs, and it wouldn't be appreciated by the forum admins either.

Blasphemist
September 24th, 2011, 07:31 PM
It just doesn't seem right that an install didn't corrupt windows boot process but somehow messed up the registry. Can you be very specific about what messages you get when trying to login to windows and any messages you get prior to that?

skimg08
September 25th, 2011, 03:10 AM
@Mark Phelps, actually I didn't choose that option. I chose the last one, specifying which disk to install the Ubuntu. But I did choose the wrong drive, which has some data inside but not the Win7 data. But thanks anyway.

@sanderd17, yeah I think I will go look for the CDs. Thanks! :)

@Blasphemist, the first time I try to boot the Win7, it did show the boot process. But then it jumped to a blue screen and restarted automatically instead showing me the login display. When I try to re-boot again, it gave me two options, first to launch the startup repair or to start windows normally. I tried the startup repair and it didn't work at all. I also got an information that I have an "0x80070002" error. I tried to google it and it tells me to download some software so it can repair automatically. But I don't have any idea how to download and run it in Win7 with me can't login and open any browsers from Win7. Oh, and I can only open the "X:\" drive which contain the system32 files from the startup repair.