PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can you overwrite Ubuntu partition?

futralistic
September 24th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on an old Dell laptop that I had laying around as a dual boot with XP. I found out after the installation that even in classic mode it is a little more than this laptop can comfortably run.

My question is can I install say Xubuntu over the Ubuntu partition without any major problems? Will the installer give that option?

Thank you.

raja.genupula
September 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
will installs xubuntu in your ubuntu system with out doing any damage to Ubuntu. From login screen you can choose the session you want.

dino99
September 24th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on an old Dell laptop that I had laying around as a dual boot with XP. I found out after the installation that even in classic mode it is a little more than this laptop can comfortably run.

My question is can I install say Xubuntu over the Ubuntu partition without any major problems? Will the installer give that option?

Thank you.

Maybe you should use Lubuntu (lxde)

raja.genupula
September 24th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hi man
could you please give us your Laptop details , I mean RAM,Processor.

ok go with this.

Xubuntu needs 512 MB(Recommended) For better performance.
&
Lubuntu needs 256 Mb(Recommended) for Better performance .

so choose any option from above.

all the best

SecretCode
September 24th, 2011, 06:02 PM
While I'd go with adding xubuntu-desktop (or lubuntu-desktop) to your existing installation, yes you can definitely install Xubuntu in the same partition replacing Ubuntu. Note that this will reformat that partition and erase anything you have saved there.

futralistic
September 27th, 2011, 04:12 AM
My details are:

Pentium M 1.5Ghz
512MB ram

raja.genupula
September 27th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Then my choice for you is
1.Lubuntu
2.Xubuntu

for pkg details presented in that two OS's look at here in this two links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu#Applications

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu#Applications

All The Best.

Elfy
September 27th, 2011, 08:01 AM

Thank you.

yes you can definitely install Xubuntu in the same partition replacing Ubuntu. Note that this will reformat that partition and erase anything you have saved there.

As SecretCode says - it is possible.

Boot the livecd - when you reach the partitioning section - choose Manual/Something Else

You'll get a new window showing your partitions - choose the partition currently housing your install and Edit

In the new window - format to ext4 (or whatever you want) then in the mountpoint - set that to /

If you have a seperate /home partition - do the same, but DO NOT format - just set mountpoint as /home

Then carry on - it will install to the partitions you've specified.

futralistic
September 27th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Once again.

Thank you so much for your help!