PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing Ubuntu on drive

40VxbzW3pdg
September 24th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I currently have Ubuntu installed on a flash drive, and have installed a small app that allows me to dual boot with windows XP. But, I also just purchased a six dvd set that includes Ubuntu on one of the Dvd's. I have two 80 gig drives on my computer, and was considering installing one of the dvd's on my secondary drive. Will it cause problems if I keep the dual boot with the flash drive and use the secondary drive also for Ubuntu?
Thanks!

LinuxFan999
September 24th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I don't think you will have any problems dual booting with Windows XP after installing Ubuntu. By the way, what is the name of the app you used to dual boot the Ubuntu flash drive with Windows XP?

2F4U
September 24th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Well, I don't know what software you installed to dual boot, but in general, doing a fresh installation of Ubuntu will try to replace the existing boot loader with Ubuntu's grub boot loader. This may cause problems. I guess it would correctly detect Windows, but I am not sure about the flash drive installation.

40VxbzW3pdg
September 25th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Well, I don't know what software you installed to dual boot, but in general, doing a fresh installation of Ubuntu will try to replace the existing boot loader with Ubuntu's grub boot loader. This may cause problems. I guess it would correctly detect Windows, but I am not sure about the flash drive installation.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! These forums are really good for people like myself that are sort of new to Linux. I have installed Linux before but do not have the tech background for dealing with any problems Linux might cause. I have to say Ubuntu is the first distro I have found that detects hardware as good as Windows. If companies would just start writing drivers for linux it would be great!

40VxbzW3pdg
September 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I don't think you will have any problems dual booting with Windows XP after installing Ubuntu. By the way, what is the name of the app you used to dual boot the Ubuntu flash drive with Windows XP?

Thanks for replying! At the Ubuntu site there is a windows software program that sets up the dual boot using grub. What I did is partition a flash drive with NTFS using a program called "bootit" which allows a flash drive to be like an IDE drive, and allows you to install Linux on it.