PDA

View Full Version : Code editor for Ubuntu

Macrotus
September 24th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Hi all

I'm looking for a good code editor, which I can use to write websites in HTML, PHP, CSS and JavaScript. So I insist that it can show the syntax coloring. I also want that it can close the tags I open and it automatically generates indentations with tab, not with spaces.

I've used Gedit before, but I want the editor to do what I want it to do.

Thanks

cgroza
September 24th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Try Geany. It is something in between an IDE and an editor.

If you want more power you can try Emacs or vim.

Lars Noodén
September 24th, 2011, 02:10 PM
EMACS has a good, powerful HTML mode. In addition to Geany there is also Kate. There is also Bluefish. Test them and take your pick.

ilovelinux33467
September 24th, 2011, 02:21 PM
+1 for Kate.
http://kate-editor.org/about-kate/

Macrotus
September 25th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks for replies. Bluefish looks the best, but I'm looking something "heavier", like Netbeans. It also has a support for PHP and others, but I have some difficulties when I'm trying to edit files on our server. I also don't like it's way to create all kind of project files, which doesn't affect the real site.

I have some sort of mouse hand injury, and when I need to type long codes, it gets bad. So any help from the IDE is welcome.

Senesence
September 25th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Learn Vim.

It can do everything you want, and much more.
It's small, and quick to load.
It's already installed.

* The downside is - it's a somewhat steep learning curve, but the initial time requirements are well worth the benefits you'll be reaping for years to come.

Lars Noodén
September 25th, 2011, 09:39 AM
If you're looking for something heavier like Netbeans, then Eclipse might be the other option. Either might be overkill for web sites, though.

ofnuts
September 25th, 2011, 10:25 AM
+1 for Kate.
http://kate-editor.org/about-kate/seconded

llanitedave
September 25th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I'm using Geany for Python, and I find it preferable, but for HTML and Javascript I've always been happy with Bluefish.