PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] usb install troubles

Dan48p
September 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM
Hi. I have been trying to install ubuntu on my laptop for about a week now with no luck. I have installed ubuntu on this computer a number of times in the past without any troubles. I usually just made an amd64 usb in unetbootin without any trouble.

this time around I have had lots of problems. The two times (xubuntu 11.04, ubuntu 11.04) that I have been able to get a usb created and bootable, the install fails everytime.

The install goes along normally and then the I get a strange screen. I have attached an image, hopefully this helps.

Any ideas on what to try next?

thanks!

**I should add that when I get this screen the only way to turn the laptop off is to unplug the power cord and take out the battery. Pressing the power button does nothing.

the laptop is an Acer Timeline 3810tz

gordintoronto
September 24th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Can you scroll the text back?

When you press the power button, do you hold it for 10 seconds?

Have you checked the MD5sum for your downloads?

There is an article in the Ubuntu Community Documentation which might help you. It describes using boot options to handle quirks with your hardware, and is called BootOptions.

Hakunka-Matata
September 24th, 2011, 03:48 AM
**I should add that when I get this screen the only way to turn the laptop off is to unplug the power cord and take out the battery. Pressing the power button does nothing.

That might be a good time to use the magic key combination: ALT+PrtScr R E I S U B