PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No grub showing on start up

maeske
September 23rd, 2011, 08:36 PM
I have a Samsung N220 with Windows 7 on it. I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 alongside windows on the other partition D:
Installation was successful but with restart there is no possibility to choose for Ubuntu. Windows is just loading. Can anybody give me some solution to get the screen where I can select which OS I want?

Quackers
September 23rd, 2011, 10:14 PM
Welcome to UF :-)
Where did you install grub to? It appears it may not have been the default option, if Windows still boots directly.

R3cKL3SS_aM
September 24th, 2011, 05:39 AM
My guess is that you installed Ubuntu 11.04 with either a USB or a boot disc, as I had the same problem myself installing 10.04 with a USB, make a long story short it was a waste of my time re-installed windows twice erasing my whole HDD both times, trying to solve the problem (Never done so with a boot disc so I can't speak here) but NEVER AGAIN with a USB.

I highly recommend using the windows installer aka Wubi.exe as it's noob friendly and there's virtually no way to mess up. Here is a link to the Windows-installer (Wubi) (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer)

Some people dislike using the windows installer, me personally found it hassle free and very quick.

Hope this helps.

bcbc
September 24th, 2011, 07:40 AM
If you installed on D: I assume it's a Wubi install.

Right click on Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup & recovery settings. Check that the Time to display operating systems is not set to zero - set it to 10 if it is.

Rubi1200
September 24th, 2011, 08:15 AM
If for some reason the suggestion by bcbc doesn't work then please post the results of the boot info script.

There is a link at the bottom of my post with instructions.

Thanks.