PDA

View Full Version : Kazaa

newhen
May 30th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Is kazaa illeegal oor not?

Dylan103
May 30th, 2006, 10:51 PM
I think all downloading things are.
But it depends on here you live I think.
But if you're using LINUX you would have to emulate it I believe.

Just
sudo apt-get install gtk-gnutella

Sef
May 30th, 2006, 10:56 PM

Almost nowhere are they illegal. What is illegal is to download traditionally copywrited files, e.g. songs, pictures, books, etc. not under a creative commons license.

newhen
May 30th, 2006, 10:56 PM

Just
sudo apt-get install gtk-gnutella
DO I need to do anything else?

newhen
May 30th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Sorry total noob at this I dont know how to use gtk

Dylan103
Nope that should be it.
Then it will be under
Applications -> Internet -> Gtk-Gnutella
Might not be looking how you want it, but you'll get used to it.

Kilz
DO I need to do anything else?

Dont download copyrighted material. I know someone who ended up paying the riaa $3500 because they thought they couldnt get caught.

BWF89
May 30th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Kazaa has spyware bundled with it

Rackerz
May 30th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Kazaa is a spware ridden piece of you know what. I haven't heard anybody talk about it in a while, the big daddy is LimeWire now.

BWF89
May 30th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Kazaa is a spware ridden piece of you know what. I haven't heard anybody talk about it in a while, the big daddy is LimeWire now.
LimeWire is probably THE most popular piece of open source software for the average end-user. Ask any guy at my school what program they use to download music and it'll probably be "I use LimeWire". Ask them what browser and you'll get "I use Internet Explorer" ask them what they use to write papers and you'll get "I use MS Office/Works or Wordpad".

Theres alot of people useing LimeWire.

ShanghaiTeej
May 30th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I noticed that you promote the Savage Nation in your signature. May I ask why you like it?

BWF89
May 31st, 2006, 12:37 AM
I noticed that you promote the Savage Nation in your signature. May I ask why you like it?
Not that it has anyting to do with this thread but I listen to Michael Savage because hes the only one on tv or the radio that I find myself agreeing with almost everything he says. He's the only one that I know of that says what he thinks without worrying about promoting some corporate or political agenda given to him by his masters. Fox News might as well be the Republican News Network (eventhough its still the best of the bunch) and all the other tv news stations are in bed with the Democratic Party. Savage is a social and economic concervative but isn't a Bush-bot like Rush Limbaugh and he opposes globalization.

If you want to respond start a new thread in The Backyard or send me a PM. I don't want this thread getting locked because we started a political discussion.

G Morgan
May 31st, 2006, 12:44 AM
To be honest I use BT almost exclusively these days. Now my ISP is no longer messing around with blocking ports it gets me speeds similar to normal FTP and HTTP anyway. I downloaded the Debian DVD ISO's at maximum speed no problem.

BWF89
May 31st, 2006, 12:46 AM
To be honest I use BT almost exclusively these days. Now my ISP is no longer messing around with blocking ports it gets me speeds similar to normal FTP and HTTP anyway. I downloaded the Debian DVD ISO's at maximum speed no problem.
BT it great for downloading the newest release of OpenOffice. Whenever they release a new version I can never get on the site the day of the release because of all the traffic so I have someone with a faster connection get on the site and copy and paste the BitTorrent download link to send to me.

DigitalDuality
May 31st, 2006, 12:48 AM
d

BWF89
May 31st, 2006, 12:50 AM
Kazaa like networks were found to be illegal by the Supreme US court, though it's a bit more complex. The organization that makes the software has to "promote" illegal activity in some way, or not promote it's legal uses.
That's why LimeWire makes you sign a clickwrap agreement that you won't use it for infringing copyright.

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/downloadfree.shtml

DigitalDuality
May 31st, 2006, 12:52 AM
d

G Morgan
May 31st, 2006, 01:02 AM
BT it great for downloading the newest release of OpenOffice. Whenever they release a new version I can never get on the site the day of the release because of all the traffic so I have someone with a faster connection get on the site and copy and paste the BitTorrent download link to send to me.

The wonders of BT. The network gets stronger the more people use it. The setup makes perfect sense to me and should make large download servers almost redundant. Broadband is common these days and it won't be too long before the network has no download limits. It would be an immensely useful if distros started to distribute via a BTalike system by people who have unlimited downloads and leave their machines on continuously anyway*. That way it makes the system more rugged.

*obviously it would be an option and would have options for scheduling etc.

DigitalDuality
May 31st, 2006, 01:03 AM
d

BWF89
May 31st, 2006, 01:09 AM
Excuse my language here... but isn't Savage the guy that told a gay guy live on MSNBC "news/talk show" to "go get aids you fa***t" ? as well as ridiculing the handicapped, autistic children, and midgets on his talk show?
He said that because the caller called in and said "I need to suggest that Don and Mike should take your show so you can go to the dentist because your teeth are really bad." and than he asked him if he was a sodomite and he said "yes" and than he fired back with his anti-gay speech. I've never heard him attack the mentally and physically disabled. If you want to discuss Michael Savage start a thread about it in The Backyard so this one doens't get locked and our posts deleted.

Sheinar
May 31st, 2006, 01:11 AM
ripped on Bareback Mountain.
Good.

DigitalDuality
May 31st, 2006, 01:15 AM
d

Sheinar
May 31st, 2006, 01:18 AM
care to explain why? other than the fact it was a crappy movie with horrible charcter and relationship development?
No, that explains why just fine.

Christmas
May 31st, 2006, 01:23 AM
They took it at court and they won, all the sharing protocols are legal, illegal is to share music, movies and software which are proprietary. As far as I know, 99,99 percent of people using dc or kazaa are downloading and sharing software, music and videos which they didn't paid for.

LE: And even if you paid for software it's illegal to share it, for music for example, you are allowd to make mp3s or rip the audio cd in any format but only for personal use, this means to use it at home or listen it at a friend, but you're not allowded to make more copies. The same with movies or proprietary software, like Windows. You're not even allowded to install it on two partitions on your hard disk (hope i didn't got it wrong here).

ShanghaiTeej
May 31st, 2006, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I agree with digital duality. Though, I've listened to Savage for laughs and pure entertainment value on long trips in the car. It's like watching a bad movie because it's a bad movie. No offense BWF89, but I strongly suggest shopping around for your facts. I don't mean to sound fatherly, but at your age, I think its beneficial to embrace other forms of medium for the development of your political views, then listening to commercialized and sensationalist radio shows.

But yeah, love bittorrent.