PDA

View Full Version : Decent FTP app?

_simon_
May 30th, 2006, 10:34 PM
gFTP is really annoying me by not having any option to save the password.

Can anyone recommend one that DOES remember the login details?

SeanTater
May 30th, 2006, 10:36 PM
KIO in kde does -- with kwallet

other than that -- don't know -- only know kde

aysiu
May 30th, 2006, 10:43 PM
If you're using Firefox, I'd highly recommend the FireFTP extension.

_simon_
May 30th, 2006, 10:48 PM
for some reason fireFTP (which i've already tried) doesn't display all of the directories available to me with my online host which renders is useless :(

I just tried Kasablanca and that's worse than gFTP, never mind the password it doesn't remember the host or username!

arendm
May 30th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Connect to your ftp-site and then press Ctrl-A. There's an option to save your password. It works for me anyway :)

aysiu
May 30th, 2006, 10:51 PM
KFTPGrabber is pretty good.

_simon_
May 30th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Connect to your ftp-site and then press Ctrl-A. There's an option to save your password. It works for me anyway :)

Thank you!!! That's worked a treat.

Thanks for everyones suggestions, now that I've managed to save the password I'll stick with gFTP. :)

Rackerz
May 30th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Linux has a lack of GUI ftp programs. That's when I start to miss my FlashFXP in Windows, it's doesn't work emulated through Wine either :(.

dcraven
May 30th, 2006, 11:40 PM
You could try ncftp as well. It saves locations as bookmarks and it looks the same on all desktops.

Cheers,
~djc

aysiu
May 30th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Linux has a lack of GUI ftp programs. Have you even read the rest of this thread?

gFTP is GUI.
KFTPGrabber is GUI.
You can also use Nautilus and Konqueror for FTP--both of those are GUI.

siimo
May 31st, 2006, 02:22 AM
why not Nautilus? it even supports gnome keyring functionality for remembering passwords. simply open a Nautilus window (ctrl+L) for location bar and type: ftp://username@server.address.com and it will prompt you for a password. Then simply use it as any other folder on your hard drive.. copy paste cut etc to move files around :mrgreen:

aysiu
May 31st, 2006, 02:34 AM
why not Nautilus? it even supports gnome keyring functionality for remembering passwords. simply open a Nautilus window (ctrl+L) for location bar and type: ftp://username@server.address.com and it will prompt you for a password. Then simply use it as any other folder on your hard drive.. copy paste cut etc to move files around :mrgreen: I like it in theory, but am I the only one who's experienced this bug (https://launchpad.net/malone/bugs/39239) when trying to use Nautilus for FTP (and bookmarking the FTP sites)?

toorima
May 31st, 2006, 02:35 AM
Linux has a lack of GUI ftp programs. That's when I start to miss my FlashFXP in Windows, it's doesn't work emulated through Wine either :(.

The 2.x version works fine with wine.

ampicillin
June 7th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I have used nautilus so far and all other ftp's works ok.. exept my ISP ftp..

When i try to connect it i get result...

The folder contents could not be displayed.
Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "ftp: ftp.xxxxxxxxxxxx.fi".

So i tried access it thru Firefox and all went ok.. i tried also gFTP and it worked also ok.

So, am i doing something wrong.. i just cant figure out what's wrong... ](*,)
If someone could help me, i would be really happy. Thank's in advance..

aeidman
June 7th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I have used nautilus so far and all other ftp's works ok.. exept my ISP ftp..

When i try to connect it i get result...

The folder contents could not be displayed.
Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "ftp: ftp.xxxxxxxxxxxx.fi".

So i tried access it thru Firefox and all went ok.. i tried also gFTP and it worked also ok.

So, am i doing something wrong.. i just cant figure out what's wrong... ](*,)
If someone could help me, i would be really happy. Thank's in advance..

I am having the same problem. Perhaps it needs to be set to passive mode?

curuxz
June 7th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Konqueror is the best linux ftp client I have used, all the others crash on me continualy or time out on big upload/download operations Gftp is a total waste of time in frequent use because its about as stable as a drunk one legged pig on crack. I mean seriously every single time you use it, it dies.