PDA

View Full Version : Why is Chromium out of date in Natty Ubuntu repos?

CoreyB.
September 23rd, 2011, 04:46 AM
The Chromium in the Ubuntu repos is version 12.0.742.112, which was released at the end of June. The current version is 14.x. The repos used to stay up to date moving through version numbers just as they were released. Why is it so far out of date?

alphacrucis2
September 23rd, 2011, 05:06 AM
The Chromium in the Ubuntu repos is version 12.0.742.112, which was released at the end of June. The current version is 14.x. The repos used to stay up to date moving through version numbers just as they were released. Why is it so far out of date?

It likely will never be updated in the main repos except for security fixes. Use the stable or beta PPA's as per your choice:

https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/stable?field.series_filter=natty

https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/beta?field.series_filter=natty

screaminj3sus
September 23rd, 2011, 06:30 PM
Personally I just install regular google chrome straight from google's website... It adds google's repo and keeps itself up to date.

vasa1
September 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Personally I just install regular google chrome straight from google's website... It adds google's repo ...

Ditto. You get the modded Flash and PDF Viewer as well.

castrojo
September 23rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
There's currently a manpower shortage for Chromium, but Micah is working on it and it should be updated soon.

(Chromium in all versions of ubuntu has a micro release exception and is normally kept as up to date as possible but the former chromium maintainer has moved on and it's taken a bit to get it updated)

kaldor
September 23rd, 2011, 09:29 PM
There's currently a manpower shortage for Chromium, but Micah is working on it and it should be updated soon.

(Chromium in all versions of ubuntu has a micro release exception and is normally kept as up to date as possible but the former chromium maintainer has moved on and it's taken a bit to get it updated)

Thanks for this. I was wondering about Chromium myself.

CoreyB.
September 24th, 2011, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the info!