PDA

View Full Version : New Thinkpad X121e - In America?

Antarctica32
September 23rd, 2011, 04:28 AM
So I am looking for an ultraportable/netbook thing that is compatible with linux and I really like thinkpads. I was very dissapointed to discover that the x120e only comes with an AMD with ATI graphics that probably won't work to well with Ubuntu. Also I have heard of many webcam problems and wifi problems. But the new X121e will be available with an I3 with intel graphics. But sadly the X121e is not available in America yet (or maybe never) I did the conversion over from some European currency it is selling for and it came back as $1000, yes $1000 dollars. And of course there is no way I will ever buy an i3 or even an i5 for 1000 dollars. I was wondering weather it will come down in price (bellow 500 I hope) when it comes out in America, if ever. Do prices generally drop in America for thinkpads? I know they do with Samsung's phones and other computer stuff. Also does anyone have any experience with this new adition to the X series? It has the new edge series design- which I actually don't like that much. But it looks pretty cool and it should be pretty compatible and hopefully it will be available for under 500.

alphacrucis2
September 23rd, 2011, 04:49 AM
So I am looking for an ultraportable/netbook thing that is compatible with linux and I really like thinkpads. I was very dissapointed to discover that the x120e only comes with an AMD with ATI graphics that probably won't work to well with Ubuntu. Also I have heard of many webcam problems and wifi problems. But the new X121e will be available with an I3 with intel graphics. But sadly the X121e is not available in America yet (or maybe never) I did the conversion over from some European currency it is selling for and it came back as $1000, yes $1000 dollars. And of course there is no way I will ever buy an i3 or even an i5 for 1000 dollars. I was wondering weather it will come down in price (bellow 500 I hope) when it comes out in America, if ever. Do prices generally drop in America for thinkpads? I know they do with Samsung's phones and other computer stuff. Also does anyone have any experience with this new adition to the X series? It has the new edge series design- which I actually don't like that much. But it looks pretty cool and it should be pretty compatible and hopefully it will be available for under 500.

ATI graphics work very well with Ubuntu. I'm using the Catalyst driver with a Thinkpad T400 and HD3400. I have no complaints for a long time since the slow window restore problem was fixed. I gather the FOSS drivers for these cards have improved a lot too.

Edit. Phoronix article about ATI Fusion from last March - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_fusion_e350&num=1

Antarctica32
September 25th, 2011, 04:45 PM
But do you think the X121e will ever come to America?