PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dvorak keyboard not working on xrdp

Daniel Garcia
September 23rd, 2011, 03:30 AM
I'm running 11.04 on hyper-v.

When I connect to the console using hyperv manager (equivalent to sitting in front on an actual console) my dvorak keyboard works fine.

When I connect via xrdp I get a different logon page (see screenshot1.jpg) and I logon using qwerty. Once I have logged on everything is still set to qwerty.

On the console when I go into system->preferences->keyboard I see 1 layout: dvorak. (see screenshot2.jpg)

In my xrdp session, the same dialog looks different. (see screenshot3.jpg). When I go to add a new keyboard layout in the xrdp session, dvorak is not listed and "US 105-key keyboard (with windows key)" is the only select-able option. (see screenshot4.jpg).

my /etc/default/keyboard file has

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT="dvorak"
XKBOPTIONS=""

What am I doing wrong?

Daniel Garcia
September 23rd, 2011, 07:01 AM
When I execute the command "setxkbmap dvorak" I get

XKB extension not present on :11.0

Daniel Garcia
September 28th, 2011, 06:58 AM
OK, I've figured out the solution.

xrdp uses it's own keymap files in /etc/xrdp
It uses 1 keymap per rfc1766 language
I'm not sure how it determines your current language, but mine seemed to match to km-0409.ini even though my LANGUAGE setting is en_AU:en, which should match to km-0C09.ini.
To create a new keymap file

Log onto the console
Run setxkbmap with the parameters that correspond to your layout
Run xrdp-genkeymap

So in my case I did:

setxkbmap –model pc104 –layout us –variant dvorak
xrdp-genkeymap km-0409.ini

This overrides the existing keymap, so good to make a backup first.

Daniel.

coffee_fan
September 19th, 2012, 06:07 PM
This was exactly what I needed, thank you very much for the info.

Note: I used your solution in Centos 5.7, where xrdp needs to be installed from sources. The only caveat was finding the xrdp-genkeymap file which is in /usr/local/bin. I figure in Ubuntu it may be readily accessible. I will find out soon enough :-).