PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to activate and set Gnome as Default in 11.04

wanderingarticfox
September 22nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
I have built a new system; however I am using an ATI Workstation V4800 graphics card and AMD/ATI is still only writing their drivers for Gnome. That is from the ATI Linux Team; I am not making that up.

I had installed Kubuntu 11.04 on my system before I found this out. I just installed Ubuntu X86_64 onto the system in a separate Primary partition. I did try the "search" window and the search box in this Forum area but everything is 2010 dated so there-fore it does not help me much.

How do I activate and set as Default the Gnome GUI in 11.04 Ubuntu Natty?

Thank you for your help ahead of time.:cool:

Blasphemist
September 22nd, 2011, 11:22 PM
This really doesn't help me understand what the condition is now for you. But, at the login screen, key in the password and before you press enter, look at the bottom of the screen and chose classic as the session type. This setting is sticky meaning it will be the default after making the choice once. If you are using auto login and therefor don't get the login screen, do describe what is happening now.

dave01945
September 22nd, 2011, 11:24 PM
if you mean use gnome instead of unity you can set the default in the login screen settings from system settings or you can run it from terminal with

gdmsetup

wanderingarticfox
September 22nd, 2011, 11:34 PM
OK, Thanks a bunch both of you:) I have been playing in Kubuntu for about 2 months and had a brain warble coming back. Now off to reboot and set.
Man my new system is fast.:cool:

aura7
September 22nd, 2011, 11:48 PM
Just Select Gnome classic when you log in to your system. Rest of the time it does the same by default, until you change it again.