PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Using Wubi from Windows 8?

HP dv4
September 22nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
I have a macbook pro 2011 that I would like to triple boot Windows, OS X, and Ubuntu on. I really care very little about the Windows 8 installation currently on my Mac. I thought that after having a boot camped Windows installation I could run Wubi and have my triple boot-ish Ubuntu. I ran Wubi, rebooted, and the new Windows 8 boot menu came up, but the only choice was Windows 8. It obviously did something because the boot manu is prompting me, but where is my Ubuntu? Can someone tell me what's going on here?
If this isn't fixable, can someone tell me how to use my current Windows partition for Ubuntu. REFIT does not work.
Thank You

Frogs Hair
September 22nd, 2011, 09:30 PM
I can only offer that current versions of Wubi may not be compatible with Win 8 . As far as I know only the developer preview of Win 8 has been released .

Hungry Man
October 6th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I am using Windows 8 right now and would like to dual boot using Wubi.

It doesn't seem to work properly.

Mark Phelps
October 6th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I would be surprised if it DID work!

After all, Windows 8 has not even made it into Beta testing, yet. The current version is essentially an Alpha version.

Once Windows 8 gets actually released, I would expect Wubi compatibility to follow soon after -- not before.

dekinstoke
November 22nd, 2011, 11:23 PM
Ok .... I had the same issue installing Ubuntu 11.10 using Wubi on Windows 8 Developer. The only system in the boot menu was Windows 8 after installing.

Seem to have fixed this by going into the Advanced Setting in System in Control Panel on Windows 8, and selecting Ubuntu as the default operating system. Next boot I had both Windows 8 and Ubuntu in the boot menu.

Mark Phelps
November 23rd, 2011, 02:49 PM
If anyone reading this is using Win8 and has questions, the best place to go is to the Windows 8 forums: eightforums.com

Viral_Weaponry
June 18th, 2012, 05:02 AM
here is your answer guys.

http://google-ite101.blogspot.com/2011/10/windows-8-linux-dual-bootwubi.html

Scoobford
July 1st, 2012, 05:53 AM
yep thats how I got it to work!
my blog BTW thanks alot for the pageviews! :D

freechelmi
August 6th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Hi, Did anybody reproduce this bug ?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1033434

nitrofurano
October 20th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I am using Windows 8 right now and would like to dual boot using Wubi.

It doesn't seem to work properly.

you mean that we can delete all files from the host htfs partition from wubi, even from inside windows folder, all of them? this is really awesome! \o/