PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] enable password request after hibernation

doru001
September 22nd, 2011, 07:35 PM
I would like to enable password protection when i exit hibernation in lubuntu. There is also an issue with the mouse not showing after hibernation.

I have found some information on the issue:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8368647&postcount=5
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/42052

but I would like to know if anybody has successfully done this before I try to install kdm over gdm and lxdm.

doru001
September 25th, 2011, 09:09 AM
On second thought, I will not install kdm over gdm and lxdm, because I understand that it would continue running in the background and slow down the system, defeating the very purpose of lubuntu.

Plus, nobody answered my post. Bump!

P.S. Use xscreensaver-command -lock to lock the screen in lubuntu.

Neosano
October 23rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
In the power manager you can tick "Lock screen when going for suspend/hibernate" in extended tab.

doru001
October 25th, 2011, 11:53 AM
In the power manager you can tick "Lock screen when going for suspend/hibernate" in extended tab.

I am sorry that I did not mention this clearly in the title, but I am talking about lunbuntu, not about gnome. I have gnome installed in parallel with lubuntu, and everything works well in gnome. In lubuntu, I did not find "Power Manager", but it could be hidden somewhere.

Neosano
October 25th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Yes, I was talking about lubuntu. Lubuntu uses xfce power manager by default.

doru001
October 26th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Yes, I was talking about lubuntu. Lubuntu uses xfce power manager by default.

I installed xfce4-power-manager. It is not running by default.

I killed gnome-power-manager and started xfce4-power-manager. xfce4-power-manager-settings showed that password is required. I tested and it is not required.

To make xfce4-power-manager to run by default, I tried to mv /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-power-manager.desktop but still only gnome-power-manager is started.

If you have any ideas, shoot.

doru001
October 26th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Just in case you did not see the edit. :)

SteveDee
October 26th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I installed xfce4-power-manager. It is not running by default....

Lubuntu 11.10 uses xfce4-power-manager as the default manager, but Lubuntu 11.04 uses gnome-power-manager.

After installing xfce version, go to Synaptic Package Manager and remove the gnome version. Then go to Desktop Sessions Settings and enable Power Manager which should now reference the xfce version.

Reboot and the battery icon should appear on your panel. Right-click the battery and select preferences

Originally Posted by Neosano View Post

...it works for me.

doru001
October 31st, 2011, 12:05 PM
Lubuntu 11.10 uses xfce4-power-manager as the default manager, but Lubuntu 11.04 uses gnome-power-manager.

After installing xfce version, go to Synaptic Package Manager and remove the gnome version. Then go to Desktop Sessions Settings and enable Power Manager which should now reference the xfce version.

Reboot and the battery icon should appear on your panel. Right-click the battery and select preferences

...it works for me.

Thank you for your answer.

When I try to remove gnome-power-manager it will also remove ubuntu-desktop, which is necessary for gnome and maybe for lubuntu. Since I am not sure what will happen if I remove this package and I would like to be able to use gnome when I need it, I have postponed this action.

mcduck
October 31st, 2011, 12:24 PM
Thank you for your answer.

When I try to remove gnome-power-manager it will also remove ubuntu-desktop, which is necessary for gnome and maybe for lubuntu. Since I am not sure what will happen if I remove this package and I would like to be able to use gnome when I need it, I have postponed this action.

The "ubuntu-desktop"-package is perfectly safe to remove, no desktop and no program depends on it.

It's an empty metapackage, with all the packages used on default Ubuntu setup marked as it's dependencies. No package has it as their dependency, and as dependencies are one-way mechanic removing ubuntu-desktop won't remove anything else.

The only thing you should pay attention with when dealing metapackages like this is that you should reinstall them before you try to upgrade to next Ubuntu release version, as the metapackage will make sure you get all the new features during the release upgrade.

amjjawad
November 1st, 2011, 03:26 AM

Hi,

You need to be clear and explain in details which you haven't, I'm afraid.
I dislike to make any guess but I have to. Seems to me you have Ubuntu installed then you installed "lubuntu-desktop" package, right? you are not even Dual-Booting, correct?

You need to know that each package installed by default, is there for a reason. Changing it with something else, might work and might not work. Having that said, you need first to understand that installing lubuntu-desktop package is NOT like install Lubuntu. Why? because your desktop will be mixed and you can imagine the packages that you'll have.

Lubuntu 11.10, by default, uses XFCE Power Management while it was using GNOME on 11.04. Not sure about Ubuntu because I don't use it any more and not even sure whether you are using the latest release or not?

I'll stop right here and waiting for you to confirm my guess :)

doru001
November 5th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Hi,

You need to be clear and explain in details which you haven't, I'm afraid.
I dislike to make any guess but I have to. Seems to me you have Ubuntu installed then you installed "lubuntu-desktop" package, right? you are not even Dual-Booting, correct?

You need to know that each package installed by default, is there for a reason. Changing it with something else, might work and might not work. Having that said, you need first to understand that installing lubuntu-desktop package is NOT like install Lubuntu. Why? because your desktop will be mixed and you can imagine the packages that you'll have.

Lubuntu 11.10, by default, uses XFCE Power Management while it was using GNOME on 11.04. Not sure about Ubuntu because I don't use it any more and not even sure whether you are using the latest release or not?

I'll stop right here and waiting for you to confirm my guess :)

I have installed lubuntu over ubuntu, no dual boot.
Version: Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS (upgraded from 8.04 LTS).

Thank you for the info.

amjjawad
November 5th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I have installed lubuntu over ubuntu, no dual boot.
Version: Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS.

Thank you for the info.

Had to go back to page 1 of your thread to read the other suggestions. I see very good suggestions so have you tired these suggestions? please make sure to go back and read your thread from beginning.

Let me know if you need anything!

doru001
November 5th, 2011, 04:23 PM
The "ubuntu-desktop"-package is perfectly safe to remove, no desktop and no program depends on it.

It's an empty metapackage, with all the packages used on default Ubuntu setup marked as it's dependencies. No package has it as their dependency, and as dependencies are one-way mechanic removing ubuntu-desktop won't remove anything else.

The only thing you should pay attention with when dealing metapackages like this is that you should reinstall them before you try to upgrade to next Ubuntu release version, as the metapackage will make sure you get all the new features during the release upgrade.

I see that ubuntu-desktop does not depend on kernel. So you are sure that ubuntu-desktop only plays a role when Ubuntu release is upgraded, but not when the kernel or an update within a specific release takes place?

doru001
November 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I have installed xfce4-power-manager.
I have removed gnome-power-manager.
I have checked Xfce Power Manager (and not Power Manager) in Preferences > Desktop Session Settings.
I have rebooted.
I have run xfce4-power-manager-settings for settings. Password after hibernate was checked.

... and it still didn't work, it didn't ask for password when exiting hibernation.

Also, the mouse cursor is not visible after I exit hibernation and the Internet connection does not seem available any more.

Fortunately, I do not need this facility very badly.

I remind you that this install is old, it is upgraded from 8.04 and lubuntu is installed over. I did keep it clean and secure, though.

Thank you all for your answers.

amjjawad
November 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I remind you that this install is old, it is upgraded from 8.04 and lubuntu is installed over. I did keep it clean and secure, though.

May I suggest an advice that will never harm you but will help you big time?
Please, backup your files and go for Fresh New Installation of Lubuntu 11.10.

The time you spend in searching and fixing such issues is MUCH MORE than the time you'll spend on installing Lubuntu and tweaking it the way you want :)
This is from experience with more than 50 distributions I have tried and none were so good and last with me all that long except Ubuntu and Lubuntu. However, as it's not a secret, with Unity Thing, I'm much happier with Lubuntu and not going back at all :)

It's my personal experience and point of view. You are FREE to take it as an advice or suggestion and you are FREE to ignore it. Your call :)
I'm here to offer all what I can to help but at the end, it's you who will decide.

If you need ANYTHING regarding Lubuntu, I guess you know where and what to do ;)

doru001
November 7th, 2011, 01:53 PM
May I suggest an advice that will never harm you but will help you big time?
Please, backup your files and go for Fresh New Installation of Lubuntu 11.10.

The time you spend in searching and fixing such issues is MUCH MORE than the time you'll spend on installing Lubuntu and tweaking it the way you want :)
This is from experience with more than 50 distributions I have tried and none were so good and last with me all that long except Ubuntu and Lubuntu. However, as it's not a secret, with Unity Thing, I'm much happier with Lubuntu and not going back at all :)

It's my personal experience and point of view. You are FREE to take it as an advice or suggestion and you are FREE to ignore it. Your call :)
I'm here to offer all what I can to help but at the end, it's you who will decide.

If you need ANYTHING regarding Lubuntu, I guess you know where and what to do ;)

Thanks, I believe that you're right and I'll do just that after I finish some current jobs. The lubuntu install cd is also a fully functional live cd and it would recognize a TV tuner board just as Ubuntu 8.04 and 10.04 did?

I am glad to hear that I picked the right distribution ;)

mcduck
November 7th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I see that ubuntu-desktop does not depend on kernel. So you are sure that ubuntu-desktop only plays a role when Ubuntu release is upgraded, but not when the kernel or an update within a specific release takes place?

Yes, I'm sure. the kernel has a metapackage of it's own for updates (linux-generic or similar, depending on which kernel you use), and no other package needs such feature (as new packages are never added to Ubuntu release afterwards, normal updates are just a question of taking an existing package and replacing it with a new version).

Anyway, it doesn't even make any difference what packages ubuntu-desktop depends on. It's a question of what packages depend on ubuntu-desktop (for which the answer is "none" ;)).

giannig
November 7th, 2011, 04:11 PM
make a script that contains this command first, and then the pm-hibernate call
su UserName -c 'gnome-screensaver-command --lock'

amjjawad
November 7th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks, I believe that you're right and I'll do just that after I finish some current jobs.
You welcome. Please let me know if you need any thing and I'll be more than glad to help :)

The lubuntu install cd is also a fully functional live cd
Just like any other Live-CD except it's Lubuntu :)
My thread cover an issue with Live-CDs that sometimes happens: Lubuntu One Stop Thread > Post #2 > #1

it would recognize a TV tuner board just as Ubuntu 8.04 and 10.04 did?
If the driver is there then Yes.

I am glad to hear that I picked the right distribution ;)
You sure did so be proud of that :D

amjjawad
November 7th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Yes, I'm sure. the kernel has a metapackage of it's own for updates (linux-generic or similar, depending on which kernel you use), and no other package needs such feature (as new packages are never added to Ubuntu release afterwards, normal updates are just a question of taking an existing package and replacing it with a new version).

Anyway, it doesn't even make any difference what packages ubuntu-desktop depends on. It's a question of what packages depend on ubuntu-desktop (for which the answer is "none" ;)).

Very nice information and great explanation, mcduck :)

doru001
March 29th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Thank you, giannig! I am using this script to protect lubuntu with a password and put it in hibernation:

env SUDO_ASKPASS=/usr/bin/ssh-askpass sudo -Av
xscreensaver-command -lock
sudo -A pm-hibernate

Because lubuntu is installed on top of gnome, I also renamed:

sudo mv /etc/init/gdm.conf /etc/init/gdm.conf.nostart
such that now I am using:

/etc/init/lxdm.conf

I also did Disable Notifications for the network icon next to the clock in the lower right because it prevented lubuntu to enter hibernation.

Because sometimes the screen is not locked before lubuntu enters hibernation it is not safe to use this script from a ssh connection when you are also logged in to GUI locally and your screen is not already locked. Still, you can do this by issuing the following commands:

sudo -v
run the script given above, you have to make it executable first.

Sometimes the script would not put lubuntu in hibernation. In this case, try to close down open applications. For example, a manual opened in a terminal could prevent lubuntu from entering hibernation.