PDA

View Full Version : Web host

Pujims
September 22nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Hello!
I was going to set up my spare computer as a web server, but I am a bit nervous about putting my website on it. I decided I would probably be better having a company host the site instead. I am looking for suggestions on the best web hosting for my needs.

1. Security
2. Reliability
3. Possible high traffic
4. Not crazy expensive
5. Will not object to possible unpopular views aired on site

Suggestions greatly appreciated
):P

Beacon11
September 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Is your website written in something other than just HTML? Some hosts specialize in some things (e.g. A2 Hosting has good Ruby on Rails support, so I chose them). If it's just static HTML you have tons of options, but I doubt that. PHP perhaps?

Pujims
September 22nd, 2011, 03:32 PM
It is actually going to be a news-type site with a forums page and an archive type page for important links and such

Beacon11
September 22nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
It is actually going to be a news-type site with a forums page and an archive type page for important links and such

Hmm... perhaps my question wasn't clear. Are you writing this website? What language and/or framework are you using?

Pujims
September 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
oh sorry I am using html

Barrucadu
September 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
You're doing a forum with plain HTML? Good luck with that.

Pujims
September 22nd, 2011, 08:22 PM
no, I need to do some php as well but the main is done in html

My friend suggested hostgator or coolhandle

I was looking to see if I got the same suggestions from here..... I guess just looking for confirmation or a better suggestion......

CharlesA
September 22nd, 2011, 09:20 PM
I'm using Justhost cuz it was cheap. So far it's been fairly good, but my site doesn't get much traffic.

whiskeylover
September 22nd, 2011, 09:20 PM
nearlyfreespeech.net
Its a bit difficult to set up, but super duper cheap.