PDA

View Full Version : Guide to the Ubuntu Software Center

sffvba[e0rt
September 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
As if it wasn't already easy enough the folks of the Ubuntu Vancouver Local Community has made the Software Center even easier by creating a guide for it :)

http://randall.executiv.es/usc_guide

ninjaaron
September 22nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Oh wow.

sffvba[e0rt
September 22nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
I find the only problem with the guide is the fact that come October and Oneiric the new software center lands and a lot of what is in the guide (visually at least) becomes out-dated...

PS -
Oh wow.

I take it your overwhelmed with awesomeness :)

BrokenKingpin
September 22nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
I find the only problem with the guide is the fact that come October and Oneiric the new software center lands and a lot of what is in the guide (visually at least) becomes out-dated...

Exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully they update it when the new release drops, as this could be very useful for new users.

Linux_junkie
September 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM

PS -

If you take a closer look at the guide you'll find its based upon 11.04 and therefore will not become out-dated until 11.04 expires.

I'm also sure that the group will create an update for 11.10 and possibly 12.04.

sanderd17
September 22nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
...It's an Ubuntu first (now copied by a fruit company)...

:popcorn:

ninjaaron
September 22nd, 2011, 07:50 PM

PS -

I'm overwhelmed by the fact that what is pretty-much universally considered to be the simplest, most intuitive system for software disribution (based on the fact that, as of Windows 8, it's been implemented in basically every multifunctional OS on any platform), and these guys felt the need to write a manual.

It's like writing a manual for the iOS app-store.

Explaining software sources, which is only available thorough the software center (unless you make it visible with "Edit Menus"), might have some justification.

Oneiric's software-center will theoretically replace all of the functions of synaptic, so I assume it will probably warrent more thoroughgoing documentation.

speedwell68
September 22nd, 2011, 10:34 PM
Oneiric's software-center will theoretically replace all of the functions of synaptic, so I assume it will probably warrent more thoroughgoing documentation.

TBH I rarely use Synaptic anymore. Although I still use Gdebi for installing DEB packages, it is still way faster than the USC for that.

sffvba[e0rt
September 23rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
I'm overwhelmed by the fact that what is pretty-much universally considered to be the simplest, most intuitive system for software disribution (based on the fact that, as of Windows 8, it's been implemented in basically every multifunctional OS on any platform), and these guys felt the need to write a manual.

It's like writing a manual for the iOS app-store.

Explaining software sources, which is only available thorough the software center (unless you make it visible with "Edit Menus"), might have some justification.

It is possible that their community expressed a need or desire for it. At the end of the day I would rather want a manual to exist where not needed than need one and it doesn't exist :)

TBH I rarely use Synaptic anymore. Although I still use Gdebi for installing DEB packages, it is still way faster than the USC for that.

I <3 Gdebi... my preferred method of installing deb files (so fast) :)