PDA

View Full Version : Which email service do you think is best?

Kvark
May 30th, 2006, 08:37 PM
And why do you think that email provider is good?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking for a new email service and it's really hard to know where to look.

mostwanted
May 30th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Gmail because it has a good spam filter, firefox extensions, clever interface, oh, and almost 3 GB of space.

SeanTater
May 30th, 2006, 08:48 PM
GMAIL!

No doubt at all -- best of them all!

e-mail stgallag@gmail.com if you want an "invite".

christhemonkey
May 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I have a gmail and a hotmail (/windows live mail), and i must say gmail is by far the easier to use and just generally better.

So ye email if me for an invite if you want :p
christhemonkey@gmail.com

sudomania4
May 30th, 2006, 08:52 PM
gmail, for reasons already stated, as well as good pop forwarding. its free, has a spam filter, you get alot of space...

@mostwanted, what firefox extensions were you refering to?

Kvark
May 30th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Wow, everyone says Gmail right away. I guess thats already enough to establish that Gmail is the king.

But Gmail doesn't support the IMAP protocol so it is out of the question, at least for me. Can you use your own domain name instead of a gmail address with a gmail account? If not then it's even more out of the question.

SeanTater
May 30th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I do not think it can do your domain name and stuff - but I was not aware anywhere could.

But you can use gmail.com too -- I think it probably has a better web interface than my local mail client does..

cstudent
May 30th, 2006, 10:01 PM
It may be possible to do a domain, but it's beta and looks like you have to request to test and they'll decide if they want you.

https://www.google.com/hosted/

MartinJ
May 30th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I use Gmail, but send and receive email from Kmail. I like how my sent messages are automatically put in my Sent folder on the gmail server. If I log in at another computer all my sent messages are available too. It's much closer to an IMAP style email system.

mostwanted
May 31st, 2006, 01:13 PM
@mostwanted, what firefox extensions were you refering to?

Gmail notifier and Gmail space (and WebmailCompose, but it's not Gmail-specific).

steve.horsley
May 31st, 2006, 04:46 PM
Another great thing about gmail - Microsoft hates it.

The spam filtering is great - I have no worries letting my gmail address out in public. And of course, I can use gmail from anywhere.

disturbed1
May 31st, 2006, 05:23 PM
Gmail, because of the archive, search, and filters. I also use Yahoo mail, mainly because I've had the same email addy for 8 years there now. I had a hotmail account when they used apache and BSD, but stopped checking that account once they fully switched over to being 100% microsoft 5 or 6 years ago.

scooper
June 2nd, 2006, 04:01 PM
I generally prefer Gmail, but I will say that the new Yahoo! beta is much better than the old and has a few things that are more convenient than gmail, e.g. drag and drop to folders. I think you have to be in Europe to sign up for the beta or there's a trick that I found to do it in the US. I think I came across the trick on Digg.com. It worked for me.

That said, I still prefer gmail overall, but it's worth trying both if you can. It's definitely better to have a web-based service than an ISP for your main email. OTH, for mailing lists, etc. I'd use an ISP so that stuff stays segregated from the important stuff and doesn't follow you around.

Christmas
June 2nd, 2006, 04:56 PM
I'd go for Yahoo! if I would have to choose from a paid service. However the currently free account I have doesn't have the protocol needed to use it with the mail clients like Evolution, or at least this is what I heard. Anyway, consider their new site and the messenger service which is one of the mostly used.

Bragador
June 2nd, 2006, 05:08 PM
Definitely gmail. Plus with the customizegoogle extension with firefox you have no publicity.

I love gmail.