PDA

View Full Version : Why do routers stop working sometimes?

k_0z
September 22nd, 2011, 10:06 AM
I've been noticing that I lose connection from time to time. My router loses its Internet ip for some reason. Why does this happen?

It happened with my other routers before. This seems like a general thing I've always had a problem with. Other routers and ISPs dropped the connection too.

WinterMadness
September 22nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
Could be many reasons, perhaps theres bad wiring. for example, with dsl, if your house has bad phone lines (which can be common with older houses or neighborhoods) the connection could be terminated through no fault of your own.

I used to have shotty phone lines, and it caused me to get disconnected a lot, when i moved, everything was fine, without changing anything on my router

NightwishFan
September 22nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
Perhaps it overheats? I have this problem from time to time.

Grenage
September 22nd, 2011, 10:14 AM
It's really just down to component/connection quality; poor phone lines (or ISPs) will result in a flaky performance, which can either be through packet loss or a total drop in connection. I assume that any connection trying to establish speeds that aren't appropriate for the line, would also cause issues.

Residential routers are also (in my opinion) usually cheap crap.

haqking
September 22nd, 2011, 10:16 AM
I've been noticing that I lose connection from time to time. My router loses its Internet ip for some reason. Why does this happen?

It happened with my other routers before. This seems like a general thing I've always had a problem with. Other routers and ISPs dropped the connection too.

Could be a lot of things, your ISP, noise on the line, line quality, equipment quality such as phone extension cables etc.

My router has been up (just checking now) since May 15th.

Check your cabling, what is your SNR ?

garvinrick4
September 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM

It happened with my other routers before. This seems like a general thing I've always had a problem with. Other routers and ISPs dropped the connection too. My routers seem to last a couple of years
and then start dropping the connection and I have to reboot everything to get it back up. I toss them
and get a new one. Really do not nead anything fancy unless you have the bandwidth to support them and or a
Network wireless card that compliments the router. Can overkill on router very easily, you end
up with router that you have nothing to support it with, waste of money. I see a lot of users with a 300 to 450 Mb/s router
and a 54 Mb/s "G"" card and still wondering why 5 ghz range of their $200.00 dollar Dual Band router does not work.
Grab a named brand single band "N" router backward compatable to "G"
and set it up in the 2.4 ghz channel at 1 or 11 and done. Most all routers default to channel 6 in
the 2.4 ghz range so 1 or 11 gets a cleaner signal and if in a apartment or a dorm will help a lot.
This post got "long it the tooth" quick, hope I did not bore you to death.

Famicube64
September 22nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
On some routers, the routing tables will fill and the router will need to be reset to clear them (some apparently do this automatically). Mine does this about every two months.

lisati
September 22nd, 2011, 12:50 PM
Depending on your phone company and ISP a DIY approach might not be an option for you, but I noticed a dramatic improvement with my connection when I replaced the phone socket in our place with a new one, and started using a second socket I installed myself in place of a couple of dodgy phone extension leads.

thatguruguy
September 22nd, 2011, 12:56 PM
Fear, self-doubt, laziness.

BrokenKingpin
September 22nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
I have had similar issues with my last router, but my current one hasn't dropped a connection in over a year (D-Link Wireless N 655).

perspectoff
September 22nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Fear, self-doubt, laziness.

Ha ha ha ha.

"and sometimes solar flares."