PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Return to 9.10? Follow the 8 fold path?

Bob1975
September 22nd, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hiya, I decided to select the upgrades from 9.10 through to 11.04. The first upgrade went fine, but the upgrade to 11.04 failed and now the computer freezes at the login page (no response from mouse or keyboard).

I'm considering two options: -

1) Return to 9.10. Does this involve just putting the CD I used to install in the CD drive? I think that all I'll lose will be a few random files on the desktop... any advance on that?

2) Follow the 8 points on the sticky at the head of this forum.

Being quite satisfied with 9.10 (note to self: I must stop getting distracted by newer, shinyer stuff!), I wish to follow the path of least resistance, so my primary question is; which of the two above methods of returning to happy-ville will be simplest?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bob

dino99
September 22nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
the simplest/safest/quickest way is the fresh install of the latest LTS.

my way to install:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

ajgreeny
September 22nd, 2011, 10:21 AM
There are a few points to consider before you think about going back to 9.10, the most important of which is that the version is no longer supported, so there will be no more updates, not even security updates for you and therefore the OS will be at some risk. You must make up your own mind about the sense, or not, of going back that far.

I suggest you use 10.04 Lucid, the last LTS version which is supported until April 2013 on desktop and 2015 for servers. If it is just the unity desktop that you dislike, have a look at Xubuntu instead, which is great in the 11.04 version.

However if you really decide after all that to use 9.10, here are answers to your two questions.

1) Return to 9.10. Does this involve just putting the CD I used to install in the CD drive? I think that all I'll lose will be a few random files on the desktop... any advance on that?Yes that is right, more or less. You can salvage and backup those desktop files to a USB from either your current installation or using the live CD.

2) Follow the 8 points on the sticky at the head of this forum.
Again the answer is yes, but bare in mind my comments above about support.

Bob1975
September 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think what I'll do is upgrade to 10.04 as suggested. By live CD do you mean the original 9.10 disc I installed from, just selecting an option for running from that?

If I can recover those few files, I'll burn a CD for 10.04.

Thanks again.