PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Grub Legacy menu.lst

avnd
September 21st, 2011, 06:53 PM
I'm having a system where I have two hard disks. Both have Grub Legacy installed on their MBR's with the configuration files residing in a separate boot partition.

Both the menu.lst files look the same. I want to be able to differentiate which hard disk I've booted into at the the time of the menu display.

Can someone tell me how to add a 'title' at the top of the menu list (a la GRUB2) . I just want to add a line that says 'You have booted into hd0/hd1'.

I realise that there is an option of adding a dummy menu entry with that line. But I guess that would be considered a menu option and would really not be 'neat'.

Kindly offer your suggestions.

Cheers!

drs305
September 21st, 2011, 07:05 PM
I don't know about the titles, but IIRC there was a 'pretty colors' option that was disabled by default but could be enabled by removing the #. If you changed one, one menu would be black/white and the other blue/white.

Not what you are looking for an easy way to differentiate if you member which color is which.

I just realized how much about Grub legacy I've forgotten....

vinterkind
September 21st, 2011, 07:51 PM
the color thing is a good advice, :D
Else you could try to just echo your line.

title ...
root ..
kernel ..
initrd ...

echo ...

If you're in the grub shell (simply invoke grub) you could type help to check out the commands.