PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Offline initiation

plant pot
September 21st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Is an internet connection required to install 11.04? The graphical installer seems to suggest it does; but there is no mention of this on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall.

Sorry for the daft question.. but I have been a Slackware user since they started and thought it might be nice to try a change! If there is no offline installer, that would be a deal-breaker for going Ubuntu.

plucky
September 21st, 2011, 04:58 PM
Is an internet connection required to install 11.04?

No

It will install the system if there is no internet connection.

The graphical installer seems to suggest it does;

It will try to set up a connection and ask if you want to download updates,but also gives you the option to not set up a network connection during the install.

Good Luck

sanderd17
September 21st, 2011, 05:05 PM
If you have an internet connection, it will offer to download extra languages, extra codecs and general updates.

If you want a more clear installer (for a long-time linux user), you can use the alternate install CD. This doesn't have a live environment, but a text-based installer.

plant pot
September 21st, 2011, 05:55 PM
Great Thanks.

My (false) concern is easily explained:
1, the installers front screen has three requirements listed. I didn't have a Hard Disc in the box at the time so it failed on HD space in addition to the lack of internet connection. It would not let me proceed. Since both requirements had equal looking failure messages.. I presumed it wouldn't let me advance even when I do find a drive.

2, The same front screen also suggests it wants more than 4Gigs of Disc space. Installing from a much smaller CD image.. I second-guessed that more installation files would be coming in from somewhere (M$ style).

I will probably give the alternative installer a go, so thanks for that too.

):P

plant pot
September 27th, 2011, 11:37 AM
EDIT: I moved this new question to a new thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11289679#post11289679