PDA

View Full Version : Gobal Menu

raja.genupula
September 21st, 2011, 05:17 AM
Hey Friends
Its me again Raja
I wanna know about Global Menu concept , i googled & got a wiki page that just shows the image of it and some links .could you please help me to figure it out ?

thanks in advance

Lucradia
September 21st, 2011, 05:36 AM
The global menu system has been around long before "MacOS" came out.

sffvba[e0rt
September 21st, 2011, 06:20 AM
The global menu system has been around long before "MacOS" came out.

I fail to see the relevance this has to the OP... (and this is not going to turn into a who-did-what-first-and-who-copied-them thread.

@OP... I am not sure what it is you don't get? The Global Menu is in the most basic sense just a removal of the menu system from the individual windows and moving it to a fixed position at the top...

raja.genupula
September 21st, 2011, 09:30 AM
I fail to see the relevance this has to the OP... (and this is not going to turn into a who-did-what-first-and-who-copied-them thread.

@OP... I am not sure what it is you don't get? The Global Menu is in the most basic sense just a removal of the menu system from the individual windows and moving it to a fixed position at the top...

thanks for picking up my thread .
you mean the main menu in Ubuntu which includes applications or some thing else ? I am completely zero at this thing . could please provide some explanation or link for this one .

thanks in advance

sffvba[e0rt
September 21st, 2011, 09:46 AM
Not the best video... but couldn't find anything more suitable...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsAySQcFkW0

In the vid the user will show how to add the Global Menu for Chrome... then all of the controls for Chrome is accessed from the top bar and not from the Chrome browsers own Window...

Grenage
September 21st, 2011, 09:50 AM
thanks for picking up my thread .
you mean the main menu in Ubuntu which includes applications or some thing else ? I am completely zero at this thing . could please provide some explanation or link for this one .

thanks in advance

With a global menu, the menu (File/Tools/Options/Help/etc) for the application with focus is located at the top of the screen, and not in window of the application itself.

This is different to a per-window menu, where every application has a menu at the top of its window.

BrokenKingpin
September 21st, 2011, 06:28 PM
I seriously hate the global menu. I really don't see what value it adds to the desktop experience. Just let the application handle it's own menu. This is one of the things I really dislike about Unity.

cariboo
September 21st, 2011, 10:20 PM
I seriously hate the global menu. I really don't see what value it adds to the desktop experience. Just let the application handle it's own menu. This is one of the things I really dislike about Unity.

I don't know why people that dislike Unity feel the need to tell us so in any thread that is even remotely about Unity, but you can remove the global-menu quite easily, and go back to a per window menu.

ninjaaron
September 21st, 2011, 11:11 PM
Is this not a support request?

Maybe not. I dunno.

ve4cib
September 22nd, 2011, 12:37 AM
Personally I like global menus. I took a little while for me to get used to them, but I've been using them in Gnome2 for the last... getting close to two years probably. For small, widescreen monitors they're a nice way of saving some extra vertical space. And for those of us who are inaccurate with trackpads it's convenient to be able to just throw the cursor to the top (or bottom, or side) of the screen and be guaranteed to hit the menu bar. No precision mousing required.

I can definitely see how people could dislike global menus, but that's the nice thing about Gnome2, Unity, and KDE4; it's optional, and easy to configure however you like it.

BrokenKingpin
September 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
I don't know why people that dislike Unity feel the need to tell us so in any thread that is even remotely about Unity, but you can remove the global-menu quite easily, and go back to a per window menu.
This thread is discussing the global menu... so only people who like it get to express their opinions?

I actually didn't know it could easily be turned off. When 11.10 drops I will be giving Unity another try, and maybe I will like it a bit more than in 11.04 (I really see no reason to switch away from Xubuntu at this point through).

raja.genupula
September 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah Xubuntu is Good . I have started testing of it long ago . in these duration only a few times only i have logged into ubuntu 11.04 , most of the time i am moving with xubuntu only .

this is what i got in my system .

well know i have got some idea about global menu .

Artificial Intelligence
September 23rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
I can't live without global menu. Plus I save some space on my Desktop.

sffvba[e0rt
September 23rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
I can't see the global menu. Except when I move my mouse around the space on my Desktop.

^^Fixed that for you ):P

On topic - I feel indifferent about the global menu... it is there so I use it...

kaldor
September 23rd, 2011, 02:10 PM

Why do they even bother hiding the buttons + global menu when it doesn't save even an atom's worth of space?

Artificial Intelligence
September 23rd, 2011, 03:51 PM

On topic - I feel indifferent about the global menu... it is there so I use it...

I don't have that problem, but it may be because I use eOS that is based on Ubuntu 10.10

BobW
October 16th, 2011, 03:29 AM

Quite easily? I don't think so. It's not obvious how to configure Unity, Spending 15 minutes searching these forums or Google does not count as "obvious".

beew
October 16th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Quite easily? I don't think so. It's not obvious how to configure Unity, Spending 15 minutes searching these forums or Google does not count as "obvious".

You can remove the global menu by uninstalling the package "indictator-appmenu" and then reboot, or just logging out and logging in again.

I am fine with Unity overall, I think the 11.10 version is really polished comparing to 11.04, but the global menu just drives me nuts, I have uninstalled it the first thing when I set up Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10.

ve4cib
October 16th, 2011, 11:37 AM
You can remove the global menu by uninstalling the package "indictator-appmenu" and then reboot, or just logging out and logging in again.

I am fine with Unity overall, I think the 11.10 version is really polished comparing to 11.04, but the global menu just drives me nuts, I have uninstalled it the first thing when I set up Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10.

That really doesn't seem like much of a solution though. Imagine a system with two users, one of whom wants a global menu and one who doesn't. Uninstalling the package will not satisfy one user's needs, and leaving it installed does not satisfy the other's.

BobW
October 17th, 2011, 01:42 PM
That really doesn't seem like much of a solution though. Imagine a system with two users, one of whom wants a global menu and one who doesn't. Uninstalling the package will not satisfy one user's needs, and leaving it installed does not satisfy the other's.

I agree.

Uninstalling a package is also not a safe solution. Since it's not supported and not tested it can break at any time when you do an update. If anything goes wrong don't expect any support.

3rdalbum
October 17th, 2011, 03:28 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+configure+unity

23dornot23d
October 17th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Its 50 / 50 for me ...... love global menus on a tiny laptop .....

Hate it on Dual Screen ...... so I remove it ...... but a better solution would be
for the devs to allow it to

Toggle it on and off easily ..... with a button ....

Then everyone should be happy. ;)

BobW
October 18th, 2011, 02:03 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+configure+unity

This just supports my point - if you need to search Google to figure out how to use the UI, then there is something wrong with the UI. It shouldn't be that hard to do basic stuff.

dniMretsaM
October 18th, 2011, 02:13 AM
This just supports my point - if you need to search Google to figure out how to use the UI, then there is something wrong with the UI. It shouldn't be that hard to do basic stuff.

I had to do searches to figure out how to customize KDE. Searching is not unique to Unity, it's a global thing (I know, I know, bad pun). If a GUI doesn't have options that aren't blatantly obvious, the DE is WAY too simply (imo). As for the Global Menu thing, I see it as a nice space saver for smaller monitors and something that could potentially be a pain on a computer set up with two 27-inch monitors (of course, Unity as a whole is not really targeted to this). I think you should be able to toggle it easily, but I'm sure that will come with time.