PDA

View Full Version : I would like to find the guy who...

matthekc
September 21st, 2011, 04:17 AM
I would like to find the guy who thought it would be a good idea to make the backspace key take you back a page and loose everything you have typed in a web page. Just a quick friendly chat with that guy! :D

matthekc
September 21st, 2011, 04:18 AM
What are some application behaviors that irk you guys?

IWantFroyo
September 21st, 2011, 04:21 AM
In Conkeror, it is almost impossible to copy and paste. C^c and C^v just don't work, and the method you're supposed to use sucks.

BlacqWolf
September 21st, 2011, 04:28 AM
Yup. Don't you just hate it when you're on a webpage, and at one point you hit the backspace key, when for some reason a text field isn't active, and you lose all your work?

Yup, innovation at its finest!

matthekc
September 21st, 2011, 04:32 AM
I have long thought alt+backspace would make a fine improvement or just make it configurable.

Porcini M.
What are some application behaviors that irk you guys?

In vi (which I only use when I have to), when you forget that you're in command mode, and you start typing something, and the cursor starts flying around & things all mangled...

HuaiDan
Unity:

Left-clicking on active buttons in the left panel doesn't toggle minimize-restore. That was the last straw that drove me back to Gnome classic.

Porcini M.
September 21st, 2011, 04:49 AM
Unity:

Left-clicking on active buttons in the left panel doesn't toggle minimize-restore. That was the last straw that drove me back to Gnome classic.

Unity is very un-mouse-friendly in general.

mikewhatever
September 21st, 2011, 06:36 AM
I would like to find the guy who thought it would be a good idea to make the backspace key take you back a page and loose everything you have typed in a web page. Just a quick friendly chat with that guy! :D

I find that feature very useful in Firefox, and, since that's not the default behavior in Ubuntu, I usually change it asap. If you don't like it, don't change the defaults, ...oh but then you won't have something to complain about.

vehemoth
September 21st, 2011, 07:08 AM
My backspace key doesn't do that in firefox, I use Alt + left and Alt + right instead, I think that's the default behaviour in most distros.

WinterMadness
September 21st, 2011, 07:18 AM
Im glad someone made a thread like this, I thought I was the only one.

Heres a few gripes I have:

I have the backspace thing you guys mentioned

I hate the fact that most programmers think that if you can make something a feature, that you should. For example, in KDE (though this isnt limited to it) if your desktop is active and you use the mouse wheel, it brings up the right click menu. WHY?

I hate the fact that tooltips are difficult to activate in many situations. When im on youtube, I have to put my mosue over a video several times before being able to actually see the entire name of the video

I hate the fact that there isnt a dedicated up and down button for web browsing. I do NOT like using the mouse for this operation AT ALL, and the up and down arrows require that the webpage be active. I want DEDICATED WEB BROWSER BUTTONS FOR SCROLLING UP AND DOWN

WHY IS THE ACTUAL SCROLL BAR THE SAME COLOR AS THE BACKGROUND OF THE SCROLL BAR? If the background color is white, the bar its self should be black! Its much easier to see

I hate the fact that many applications simply take the system theme. Just because my theme is black, doesnt mean i want my application or text to be unreadable.

I dont know if its my mouse or not, but I hate when I want to select text, the side that I want to start from seems to be pretty difficult to deal with

I hate when I want to simply fix a typo in my url bar, and the entire damn url gets highlighted

why is it so hard to highlight hyperlinks?

Why dont web browsers simply figure out the dimensions/size of images etc of pages before loading them? I often read pages only to have everything shift on me. Granted this is more of a firefox issue

im sure theres more

SirDrexl
September 21st, 2011, 05:14 PM
Why dont web browsers simply figure out the dimensions/size of images etc of pages before loading them? I often read pages only to have everything shift on me. Granted this is more of a firefox issue

My guess is that if they did wait, the browser would feel slower and people wouldn't like it as much as a competitor.

One little thing that always bothered me was how the default setting for a CD burning app was to eject the disc when it was finished.