PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] White screen/video drivers not in use

djen9999
September 21st, 2011, 03:00 AM
I recently did a clean install of Natty. I was unable to boot and got a black screen. I was able to manually install the current version of my nvidia driver, (version current) which allowed me to boot but many of my screens are rendered white especially when I maximize them. I'm not using Unity because the entire screen turned white. At least in the classic mode, I can close the window.

I also noticed when I checked the "Additional Drivers" menu, that it says, "This driver is activated, but not currently in use." I have the option of installing the nvidia 173 driver but then I can not boot at all unless I go to rescue mode. In rescue mode, with the 173 driver, I don't have the problems with the windows, but of course, the driver isn't being used in that case either.

I used to use the Nvidia 96 driver but when I checked it out in Synaptic, It said that if I installed it, it would remove my xorg completely.

The low graphics mode is quite acceptable visually, but the pointer flickers and scrolling is rough.

mikewhatever
September 21st, 2011, 03:54 AM
Two things need clarifications:
1. Your Nvidia driver? Has Nvidia made a special driver just for you?
2. The graphics card model, which is it?

djen9999
September 21st, 2011, 12:16 PM
Two things need clarifications:
1. Your Nvidia driver? Has Nvidia made a special driver just for you?
2. The graphics card model, which is it?

Yes, Nvidia made a driver just for me. I'm special. :D Sorry, this information is kind of crucial.

All it says is Nvidia accelerated graphics driver (Version Current). There is no ID# other than that. Right now I'm using the Nvidia accelerated graphics driver (Version 173) but I'm using it in low graphics mode.

The video card is an integrated GeForce 6100.

Except for the fact that the pointer disappears at inopportune moments, everything else seems fine. I obviously can't use any desktop effect or Unity but neither of those bother me.