PDA

View Full Version : A tablet better than the iPad

rmcellig
September 20th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I have been using Macs since 1988. When the iPad came out, I was blown away by it's ease of use. Over the past few months, I have slowly been changing my attitude regarding Apple and the iPad as I delve more and more intu Linux. Are there any iPad like devices out there that are a better value than the iPad in terms of price but also flexibility and more overall options than the iPad?

el_koraco
September 21st, 2011, 12:10 AM
No.

forrestcupp
September 21st, 2011, 12:11 AM
The ASUS Eee Transformer is pretty awesome and you can find them cheaper than an iPad. Whether or not an Android tablet is better than an iPad is subjective. I'll just say that I am personally going to get a Transformer when I have the cash.

KiwiNZ
September 21st, 2011, 12:41 AM
The Samsung Galaxy, Acer Iconia and the Asus Transformer all offer viable competition to the iPad.

What you need to consider is what you currently use a Tablet for, what are you going to use a Tablet for and is your current commitment to your current system such that a change is, or is not worth the change.

Copper Bezel
September 21st, 2011, 12:41 AM
Edit: Scrubbed.

But yes, the Transformer looks quite nice, but it's all to do with what you intend to do with it, and the iPad is still sort of the leading stock, exactly-what-it-appears-to-be tablet at the moment.

drawkcab
September 21st, 2011, 12:57 AM
I'd wait another year.

3rdalbum
September 21st, 2011, 02:44 AM
Aspirin is a better tablet than the iPad. Easier to swallow, and it IS more flexible - look at the reported benefits of using Aspirin over the iPad: http://healthfully.org/aspirin/id2.html

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

Android tablets don't always have that very tight integration that the iPad has, but it's pretty close from what I can see. You also get excellent features like free GPS navigation, Google docs, and integration with Gmail.

Lucradia
September 21st, 2011, 05:52 AM
I'd wait another year.

This here.

But if you can't wait: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/tablets/thinkpad/

I suggest a non-3G/4G one.

Spr0k3t
September 21st, 2011, 06:51 AM
Got an Iconia for stupid cheap. Been enjoying it. I modified it, overclocked it to 1.67GHz, use it to work with my NFS shares, Mythbox remote, email notifier, ssh'ing... and just plain surfing fun. Not to mention I use it when I'm out on two wheels as my interactive map/gps (just not mounted to the handlebar). I use it tethered to my phone. Primary media Google/Music player. Full size USB port allows me to hook up a 4 port hub and attach a 500GB USB drive, a mouse, and keyboard for an "office on the go" and still fit in my bike. As a Linux Consultant... I get a lot of questions when I'm out 400+ miles from home and I'm doing all my work on a tablet... not to mention the HDMI mirror output allows me to use most of the modern TVs if I need a bigger screen.

The best part about the tablet... it does much more than I could ever do on an ipad at less than half the cost. The ASUS Transformer and Acer Iconia were my two top picks, but the Samsung had a much better screen... just not worth the extra $100.

Grenage
September 21st, 2011, 09:44 AM
Are any tablets better at being an ipad than an ipad? No.
Are any tablets better at being tablets? That's obviously subjective; I think so.

mcduck
September 21st, 2011, 11:02 AM
After a long consideration and testing between all the tablets available (including iPad2) I finally got myself Asus Transformer. Is it better than iPad? It most certainly is for me, but it depends on what you actually want.

Grenage said it better than I could possibly put it. The best iPad-like device is iPad. The best tablet on the other hand is more a question of personal preferences.

KdotJ
September 21st, 2011, 12:59 PM
As said, it depends what you want it for. In my opinion, an iPad is for if you want simplicity... However for me, I like to be able to configure things and change things and be able to have it setup anyway I want.. And not just have a grid layout of apps etc. I got myself an ASUS Transformer and I get so much out of it.

ninjaaron
September 21st, 2011, 01:14 PM
No.

I'd never buy one, but this is the correct answer to the question.

Retlol
September 21st, 2011, 02:18 PM
That bad boy from Samsung they gave to devs on the Windows 8 event show looked sweet.

2nd Generation Intel Core i5
Samsung Super PLS 1366x768 display
AT&T 3G included (conference attendees received 1 year of 2GB/month service)
4GB DDR3
64GB SSD
NFC Sensors, USB, microSD, HDMI, Pen
Dock with USB, HDMI, Ethernet
11.6" diagonal, 909 grams, 12.9mm thick

/drool

Windows 8, while a possible disaster on the desktop, looks epic on the tablet. You get a real os instead of the iOS joke.

forrestcupp
September 21st, 2011, 02:58 PM
There are some reasons I'm going with Android over iPad. I don't like my device to be bound to iTunes. With an iPad, they make it a real pain in the butt to do something as simple as transferring a file from your computer, unless you have a Mac. Plus, with Android tablets you're not limited to the small hardware feature set that the iPad has. You can easily find Android tablets with things like working USB ports and GPS. Also, it seems like Android's maturity rate is much faster than iOS.

I will say that the iPad probably has a nicer screen than any of the Android tablets, though. For my needs, the pros of the iPad don't outweigh the cons. I'm pretty set on a Transformer or Transformer2 when it comes out.

aaaantoine
September 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM
I'm actually looking for something a little smaller than the 10" that everyone seems to be targeting. I figure 7" should be a happy medium, but there aren't that many great tablets in that size category. For me, the current front runner is the Dell Streak 7.

Also, I know this is an opinion piece, but I'm wondering if this would ever pan out...
http://nerdbusiness.com/blog/ubuntu-tablet

LMP900
September 21st, 2011, 04:30 PM
In terms of value, the upcoming Amazon tablet will likely be a good contender. With stores for apps, ebooks, TV, movies, and music, Amazon will have a similar ecosystem as Apple to complement its tablet.

forrestcupp
September 21st, 2011, 04:34 PM
I'm actually looking for something a little smaller than the 10" that everyone seems to be targeting. I figure 7" should be a happy medium, but there aren't that many great tablets in that size category. For me, the current front runner is the Dell Streak 7.There's a 7" Galaxy Tab that's pretty sweet. Actually, 10" is a pretty new thing for Android tablets. There are quite a few 7" ones out there.

Also, I know this is an opinion piece, but I'm wondering if this would ever pan out...
http://nerdbusiness.com/blog/ubuntu-tabletI have a lot of thoughts about that article. First, just because Google is making a deal with Motorola, it doesn't mean everyone else is all of the sudden going to be unsuccessful with Android devices.

Secondly, in my opinion, an Ubuntu tablet would royally suck. For Ubuntu, Unity is a slightly better UI for a tablet than what it was, but the UI is only a small part of the platform. One of the huge selling points of Android is that there are tons of great apps that are developed specifically for phones and tablets. Ubuntu's apps are developed for computers.

del_diablo
September 21st, 2011, 04:57 PM
No.

Pretty much this.
All tablets that are "better than the iPad" is all worse than the iPad at being a iPad.
Etiher they lack apps, has a laggy UI, being gimped by the javaesque language, or requires to be jailbroken.

Jesus_Valdez
September 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM
There are some reasons I'm going with Android over iPad. I don't like my device to be bound to iTunes...

This is my main problem with my iPad; then again I don't need to sync it that often and sometimes I boot into Windows anyway so is not that bad.

Sure I hate iTunes with all my heart.

With an iPad, they make it a real pain in the butt to do something as simple as transferring a file from your computer, unless you have a Mac.

Well, that deepens on what you call a "pain in the butt". Sure an USB port would make things easier but sending files using ftp is not that complicated.

I can pull the images from Ubuntu so that is another easy thing to do.

Personally don't like the inexistent file management and the fact that I can't send files from Safari.

BrokenKingpin
September 21st, 2011, 06:26 PM
ASUS Eee Transformer for sure. The attachable keyboard is just awesome (turning it into a netbook). It is a very nice device.

I pretty much refuse to use any Apple products at this point, even if the alternatives are not as good in terms of hardware.

thatguruguy
September 21st, 2011, 06:58 PM
I agree with everyone else as far as shopping around and deciding what you really need a tablet for.

One reason I didn't want an iPad is that the iPad is too big, physically. I wanted something I could actually carry in my pocket, so I really only wanted a 7" tablet. As far as the other specifications, I wanted something with capacitive touch, compatibility with flash-based web sites, the ability to use it as an e-Reader, and the ability to play games on it 9for the kids, mostly). Finally, I wanted something that could run Ubuntu, if possible. I ended up buying a Kyros MID 7022, which I got for less than $200. It does all the stuff listed (including running Ubuntu, which has occasionally come in handy).

Again, the tablet I bought is good for my needs/wants, but YMMV.

kprowell
September 21st, 2011, 07:09 PM
Check out the Toshiba Thrive. I tried several tablets including the iPad and 4 other Android tablets before settling on the Thrive. It has a removable back and battery. Full USB, HDMI and SDCard slot. So far this thing just works! Like the others have said before....YMMV.:D

BlacqWolf
September 21st, 2011, 08:23 PM
Since iOS is very uncustomizable, has a cluttered way of managing apps, and has a LOT of software restrictions and harsh and very strict management of items in the App Store, anything not running iOS would make a better tablet than an iPad, in my opinion.

forrestcupp
September 23rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
I ended up buying a Kyros MID 7022, which I got for less than $200. It does all the stuff listed (including running Ubuntu, which has occasionally come in handy).
I was seriously looking at the 10" version of that tablet. I heard a lot of people say the Kyros tablet's screens weren't good at all for viewing at angles. What is your experience with that? If it has a decent screen, that could save me over $100 instead of getting a Transformer.

dyltman
September 23rd, 2011, 07:54 PM
I found the asus transformer to be better then the ipad. Especially if you're picky when it comes to visuals, iphone apps on the ipad looks all streched and weird whereas on the transformer they display properly (however since they were designed around a phone they might be a bit weird in proportions). Also the transformer dock keyboard > the ipad dock keyboard if you're interested in that.

And I guess they are kinda strange stuff to bring up but I found them to be quite important lol. There's a lot else like the simple fact that you run android instead of ios.

However the amount of apps at your disposal are obviously a lot more limited but the basic office suit and stuff are all there.

andras artois
September 23rd, 2011, 08:16 PM
Windows 8 tablets and hybrids will be the bees knees. Full blown operating system that can run tablet/touch optimised programs while still retaining it's main function as a 'full' OS? Sounds like a winner to me.

thatguruguy
September 23rd, 2011, 08:25 PM
I was seriously looking at the 10" version of that tablet. I heard a lot of people say the Kyros tablet's screens weren't good at all for viewing at angles. What is your experience with that? If it has a decent screen, that could save me over $100 instead of getting a Transformer.

Honestly, it's never occurred to me that the viewing angles are a problem, which means that either a) it's actually not problematic, or b) I simply haven't noticed it, due to the way I use the tablet. However, the 7022 has a capacitive screen rather than the resistive screen on the more prevalent 7024, so it's possible that there are actual physical differences in the glass used in the screen and the proximity of the screen to the outer glass, etc. Make sure you get the 1125 if you go for a 10" model, since it's the one with the capacitive screen.

forrestcupp
September 23rd, 2011, 08:51 PM
Honestly, it's never occurred to me that the viewing angles are a problem, which means that either a) it's actually not problematic, or b) I simply haven't noticed it, due to the way I use the tablet. However, the 7022 has a capacitive screen rather than the resistive screen on the more prevalent 7024, so it's possible that there are actual physical differences in the glass used in the screen and the proximity of the screen to the outer glass, etc. Make sure you get the 1125 if you go for a 10" model, since it's the one with the capacitive screen.

Thanks for your response. The 7022 was actually the one I was researching at first. Then I started looking at the 10" ones. If you don't mind, next time you have your tablet out, try setting it on a table and looking at it from a slight angle, and let me know if it looks washed out.

I wish there were someone around that actually carried these in stock so I could look at one. I've seen a Transformer, and I know they look sweet. I just wish I could see a Kyros and figure out if an extra $100 is worth it for a Transformer. The reason I care so much about the screen is because I have a friend who is an Apple fanboy, and I keep giving him heck telling him I'm getting an Android tablet instead of an iPad. If I end up with one that has a screen way worse than an iPad, I'll never hear the end of it. :)

lancest
September 23rd, 2011, 10:51 PM
ASUS Transfomer- running a customized build on it.
16 hours battery life with full USB on keyboard- with nice Google search integration.
Basically like having an Android netbook with nice chicklet keys
Keyboard will be compatible with future Transformer models.

lancest
September 23rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
The Transformer screen is comparable to the IPad- using same IPS screen.
YT reviews have commented on that. TF blows the IPad out of the water IMHO.

jesse444
September 24th, 2011, 12:11 AM
i've been using the transformer and it's been great. the only complaint is that when i use the keyboard and i'm typing quickly, it seems that it doesnt catch all the characters/lags in input speed.

http://instantloannetwork.com/img/asustransformer.jpg

forrestcupp
September 24th, 2011, 07:08 PM
i've been using the transformer and it's been great. the only complaint is that when i use the keyboard and i'm typing quickly, it seems that it doesnt catch all the characters/lags in input speed.

http://instantloannetwork.com/img/asustransformer.jpg

Well, it's probably partially because Android isn't really made for netbooks/laptops, and the Transformer is really tablet hardware with a keyboard. But I also wonder if part of the problem is with the chiclet keyboard. I have one on my laptop that doesn't lack in power, and I notice certain keys don't work well, and sometimes there is a slight lag.

sffvba[e0rt
September 24th, 2011, 07:12 PM
After handling and checking the Asus Transformer demo model at a local Carrefour I decided against it... To heavy and the connection between the screen/tablet and the keyboard was already basically busted due to being connected/disconnected to many times (is a pretty good durability test for something to be handled by thousands of people over the course of a few weeks... all with varying degrees of dexterity and patience)...

emiller12345
September 24th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I'm not sure anyone has mentioned the HP touchpad yet. I know they pulled it from the market, but I've been looking at getting one because of this ... :P
http://liliputing.com/2011/08/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-an-hp-touchpad.html

MonolithImmortal
September 24th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I'm not sure anyone has mentioned the HP touchpad yet. I know they pulled it from the market, but I've been looking at getting one because of this ... :P
http://liliputing.com/2011/08/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-an-hp-touchpad.html
Why on earth would you want to do that?

KiwiNZ
September 24th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Why on earth would you want to do that?

To break an already broken product :P

Oxwivi
September 24th, 2011, 08:07 PM
My brother-in-law bought my sister a Transformer. It's pretty sweet, but I find the Android environment restrictive. Would prefer Ubuntu, <strike>or heck, even Windows</strike>. The most annoying point is there's no quitting the apps you open. They always remain in the background until you actually shutdown. which is a rare occurrence for Android devices.

forrestcupp
September 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM
My brother-in-law bought my sister a Transformer. It's pretty sweet, but I find the Android environment restrictive. Would prefer Ubuntu, <strike>or heck, even Windows</strike>. The most annoying point is there's no quitting the apps you open. They always remain in the background until you actually shutdown. which is a rare occurrence for Android devices.

Android is made to intelligently shut apps down when the space is needed, so you're not supposed to ever have to worry about it. But if you absolutely feel like you need to shut something down, you can easily do it through the settings or with an app like Advanced Task Killer.

If you think Android is restrictive, you should check out iOS.

Dr. C
September 25th, 2011, 06:00 AM

If you think Android is restrictive, you should check out iOS.

Like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Android can be restrictive or not depending on how it is configured. It ultimately does come to the question. Can the owner of the hardware obtain root access? One thing to keep in mind here also is that at this point in time Android 3.x is not FLOSS as the source code has not been released.

If one wants control then the safe bet is an OS with GPL v3 code buried deep enough to require root access in order to modify the GPL v3 code. The recent versions of Ubuntu do of course meet this requirement.

lancest
September 25th, 2011, 06:08 AM
I'm all for more control, but running a developer ROM is enough for me.

For those who question the usefulness of a tablet. Buy a Transformer, sink you teeth into it, and experience future computing. Work or play, in the right hands- it can do alot. Thing rocks for travel.

PartisanEntity
September 25th, 2011, 10:36 AM
It really boils down to your needs/wishes. I have a 1st generation iPad and I am very happy with it. I use it for emailing, surfing the web, watching movies, remote desktop, reading.

I don't know how other platforms deal with certain issue, but I can tell you that Apples "backgrounding" solution coupled with push notifications is my preferred approach. So while I don't like how much control Apple has over my iPad experience (all my iDevices are jailbroken though), I do find their approach to certain issue to be logical, practical and preferred.

Again I don't know how this compares to other tablets, but my usage of the iPad will make the battery last about 5-6 days.

Since I am a very visual person, I also like the smoothness of all the OS animations While it's not a tablet, I was using a friends Samsung Galaxy S2 the other day, and swiping from screen to screen was very jerky and jumpy. It didn't feel smooth at all. But granted, this is just a visual factor.