PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Set default workspace per app?

Naatan
September 20th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hi, just wondering if it's possible to have Ubuntu remember what workspace an app was in. Right now if I logout and log back in all apps just launch in the current workspace, rather than the one they were in last time.

Is it possible? (without messing in config files).

Elfy
September 20th, 2011, 07:05 PM
If you're using compiz there's a plugin that will do that - workspace rules - from memory.

You can use devilspie to achieve the same - if not using compiz.

Not sure you can do it without changing anything though.

Krytarik
September 21st, 2011, 02:48 AM
If you're using compiz there's a plugin that will do that - workspace rules - from memory.
The actual name is "Place Windows", you will find it in "CompizConfig Settings Manager -> Window Management". Obviously, you need CCSM to be installed, package "compizconfig-settings-manager".

In the plugin's settings, under "Fixed Window Placement -> Windows with fixed viewport", create a rule, and "Grab" the "Window Class" via the "+"-icon beneath the field "Viewport positioned windows", then set the "Viewport Position" depending on your workspaces setup.

Greetings.

kohoutek1
October 5th, 2011, 05:20 PM
"Place Windows" not working for me.

What value should be set on "X" and "Y" viewport positions, if, for example, my horizontal desktop size is "4", vertical is "1", and I want Firefox to always open on viewport 1? Is it "1" and "1"?

And will "window class=Firefox" be correct?

Krytarik
October 5th, 2011, 08:27 PM
What value should be set on "X" and "Y" viewport positions, if, for example, my horizontal desktop size is "4", vertical is "1", and I want Firefox to always open on viewport 1? Is it "1" and "1"?
Exactly, which is the most left one.

And will "window class=Firefox" be correct?
Nope, actually, it's just:

class=Firefox

kohoutek1
October 9th, 2011, 01:59 PM
"Place Windows" looks like a better bet than Devil's Pie for getting apps assigned to specific workspaces, but it's still not working for me.

Are there other settings in CCSM that might be conflicting?

Krytarik
October 9th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Are you even running Compiz!?
Do you get any of its effects?

What version of Ubuntu are you running?
If Natty or Oneiric, are you using classic Gnome or Unity?

Is the "Place Windows" plugin even enabled?

Btw., Devil's Pie is for Metacity.

kohoutek1
October 10th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Are you even running Compiz!?
Do you get any of its effects?

What version of Ubuntu are you running?
If Natty or Oneiric, are you using classic Gnome or Unity?

Is the "Place Windows" plugin even enabled?

Btw., Devil's Pie is for Metacity.

Running Natty. Classic Gnome.

Place Windows plugin is enabled, and I get all other desired CC effects.

Devil's Pie now has a command for CCSM, which is set_viewport, but that didn't work. Then someone in this thread led me toward the right CC plugin, and here we are;)

I disabled DP, made sure the daemon wasn't starting at log in. Still no go.

Must be something basic I'm missing, but I can't yet think of what that might be...

kohoutek1
October 10th, 2011, 05:54 PM
OK, got it...

On a hunch, I enabled the "window rules" plugin, and ahah!

So, for those who have the same question:

Enable "Window Rules", then "Place Windows," then follow the steps Krytarik outlined.

kohoutek1
October 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM
What about then having the viewport switch to the viewport where the application has just been opened?

Krytarik
October 12th, 2011, 04:08 PM
What about then having the viewport switch to the viewport where the application has just been opened?
Nah, that isn't possible, at least not without tinkering with the app's startup command, involving "wmctrl". I really think that it isn't worth the hassle. ;)

Btw., it's really strange if "Place Windows" depends on "Window Rules" in your case, as they have no obvious connection. At my system, Lucid 10.04, that isn't the case, I just tested that.