PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I keep changes made in /etc/apt/sources.list?

arroy_0209
September 20th, 2011, 06:31 PM
In order to install acroread (currently known as adobe reader) I had to uncomment a few lines in the file /etc/apt/sources.list (since multiverse repository contains acroread). When installation is completed, should I revert to previous sourecs.list file or should I keep the changes done? My guess is that I should, otherwise what is the purpose of keeping backup of this file before making changes? Does the choice matter as far as updates are concerned?

Second doubt: I found at system>administration>software sources that multiverse repository was chcked but I failed to install acroread with apt-get even after using command sudo apt-get update. Why did this happen?

Third question: I refused to set acroread as default pdf reader. In case I change my mind later, how do I make acroread default pdf reader?

mörgæs
September 21st, 2011, 10:37 AM
1) If you add a repository for installing something, you should keep it open in order to get updates.

2) Can't explain.

3) If you right-click on a PDF file you can select default application for opening.

jerrrys
September 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM
Number 2 :

acroread is in 10o4, but I don't see it in 11.10

Edit a woops

vinterkind
September 22nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Hi,

1) i agree with mörgæs. And keep an eye on /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list !

2) if you manually changed the file it could be. But if you invoke apt-get update you should see all the activated repositories. If it still isn't there it may be missing in that repo.

3) everything said. Or invoke it as shell command. acroread vs. evince ;)

cheerio,

vinterkind
September 26th, 2011, 10:00 AM
did anything happen here ?
or is it solved ? If so, please mark it as such. ;)

cheers