PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems with upgrade on eMachine T1120

bigjohn43701
September 20th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I have an eMachine T1120 with a Celeron 1200 processor and 512 Mib memory that I had been using 9.10 on. When I upgraded to 10.04 LTS is will not boot properly. When I boot it gives me error: no suitable mode found and error: unknown command 'terminal'. It than does an incomplete reboot before the log on screen comes up.
If I log on normally I just get the background but if I log on in failsafe gnome it works but very slowly. I am using it in the fail safe mode now. I have tried most of the suggestions except for reinstalling Ubuntu with now effect. Any suggestions on what to do? Since it runs after booting difficulties I think it is either Grub or a conf file.
I know the computer is past its expected life but it did work (slowly) which is more than I can say for XP and that I might have to go to a lighter version of Linux.
Thanks

mörgæs
September 20th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

If you install Xubuntu or (even better) Lubuntu from scratch you will have a great computer.

bigjohn43701
September 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM
To clarify I have been using Ubuntu for several years with my main computer an eMachine laptop. This is my play - learning machine so reinstalling etc makes no difference, I will not loose anything, just learn. I am using this problem to learn more about how to work on Ubuntu. I know more on how to remove maleware from windows than how to work with Ubuntu since I have to clean my exs monthly. The forums have been great in trying to figure out the problems and I hope to be able to help others in the future.